Why my PVP life sucks and how Anet can fix it

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

I hadn’t really been into PVP until after the HOT release. I did most of my learning in S1 Ranked. It was the ladder system that really brought me into PVP. I made it about halfway through Ruby and was pretty happy with were I ended up. But apparently I trashed my MMR in S1 learning how to play. I am very knowledgeable now on how to play pvp and when I get a decent team winning is fairly easy. The problem is that I am pretty much garenteed to get at least 2 pvptards on my team every match.

My point is what’s wrong with everyone starting with equal MMR at the start of a season? If you’re really as good as you think, you should have a tip-top MMR in no time at all. I really think if i hadn’t played S1 at all, i’d be doing much better now. Giving players a matchmaking advantage based on last season is what went wrong this season for alot of us. Anet has a system that coddles high MMR and face smashes low MMR. True competition should start on an even playing field. Anet has some of us starting on an uphill battle while others get a downhill ride. What competitive game gives players an advantage based on the prior season?

Last thing: Stop comparing pvp to mother kittening chess!

in PvP

Posted by: Tenebria.7239

Tenebria.7239

In theory it doesn’t really matter. An elo reset doesn’t change the eventual result and slows down the sorting of players. It’s the matchmaking system that’s the issue, once everyone has played 200-250 games if you don’t get stuck in an elo spiral iit’ll even out.

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

If you’re really as good as you think, you should have a tip-top MMR in no time at all.

this applies to you too.

last thing: no.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

R O C.6574

If you’re really as good as you think, you should have a tip-top MMR in no time at all.

this applies to you too.

Of course it does. What’s your point? I’m not saying I should be legendary, and as such I shouldn’t be expected to carry 4 pvptards to victory over a decent team. I just want to solo q and have a decent chance of getting teammates who know the basics of what to do and what not to do.

The point is nothing from prior seasons should affect the current season.

(edited by R O C.6574)

in PvP

R O C.6574

In theory it doesn’t really matter. An elo reset doesn’t change the eventual result and slows down the sorting of players. It’s the matchmaking system that’s the issue, once everyone has played 200-250 games if you don’t get stuck in an elo spiral iit’ll even out.

Explain to me how starting a season with an advantage from last season will give the same result as starting everyone on a level playing field? I guess you learned to play before they stacked the deck.

in PvP

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

Your posts make me smile. I don’t want to call myself a pvptard, but in a good team, I’m pretty good. In a bad team or on my own, I’m not good enough. But I understand your point. I’m inclined to think premade parties is the only way to avoid the issues you are having with solo queuing terrible teams.

in PvP

R O C.6574

Just to clarify, an example of a pvptard is someone who follows you to home and tries to cap the point with you. Then when you try to leave the point and let them get the cap, they follow you off point and leave it neutral. So you turn around to go back and finish capping and guess what? THEY FOLLOW YOU BACK ONTO THE POINT!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

My favorite tards are the ones you just beat in a previous game. Example: I’m playing druid and in the previous game a theif pushed far (our home) at the start. I stomp him out in less than 20 seconds with some solid CC and imobs.

The next game the theif I made extremely short work of is now on my team and the first thing he says on entering the map is “far”. I say I’ll take home and then I ask the theif to not push far and I pointed out how badly he lost the 1v1 doing that last game. He said nothing and the match started, I use my staff 3 and GS 3 to zip to home point as fast as possible.

What do I see as I’m nearly to home point? A stupid theif using shadowsteps to get past me so he can sit on home point… MLG material right there…

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I am lucky I guess. I get the Good Bad players. They can effectively one vs one. They know their build well. They have dropped in some party support traits. They are reactive to tells and everything you want…they are good players.

What makes them bad is they pay no attention to the mini map. They always greedily push far when it is obvious the enemy is about to respawn, they rarely double back to support home. They try to steal beasts before securing their own, and they refuse to alt swap or even sigil swap at beginning match to make better composition..and my favourite of them all..they give everyone the silent treatment all match and refuse to communicate in anyway.

I started season on 85% win rate…I’m now down to 48% win rate. I swap, I alted, I support..but I can’t carry 3 other players who have a mind set of , “If i keep playing..i’ll eventually win.” Now all i get is good bad players. I hope one day I begin to get average good players again..they are average at what they do, but good at being part of a team.

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Pro players complained about this in season 1, so it got changed. Pro players now complain of being bored in legendary league so now take their alts through to legendary all over again because they can do it so quickly thanks to season 2 -.-

PZ are masters of the farm.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in PvP

R O C.6574

Pro players complained about this in season 1, so it got changed. Pro players now complain of being bored in legendary league so now take their alts through to legendary all over again because they can do it so quickly thanks to season 2 -.-

PZ are masters of the farm.

How many pros are there? Isn’t there already a pro league? If you are such a pro why can’t you handle a few noobs on your team every once in a while.

There just needs to be an individual rating system that drives your MMR and each team’s total MMR should be as close to the same as possible.

in PvP

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

How many pros are there? Isn’t there already a pro league? If you are such a pro why can’t you handle a few noobs on your team every once in a while.

There just needs to be an individual rating system that drives your MMR and each team’s total MMR should be as close to the same as possible.

So you want to back track to season 1 is what your saying….

TEAM A MMR RATINGS: 40, 40, 40, 10, 40… Total 170
TEAM B MMR RATINGS: 30, 30, 25, 10, 75… Total 170

Team A has the obvious advantage as the majority of players in team A should be able to defeat the players in team B.

I just pulled those numbers out of my bum but you get the point… This is the issue we had in season 1 and that is what it seems like your asking for again… The example from my understanding is how season 1 worked…

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

omg you mean this season made it so the more skilled players move quicker through the ranks! BLASPHEMY!

It actually made the climb out of those lower ranks easier. Not dealing with people who should be legendary in amber emerald or sapphire because they made it out quickly….. what it seems people want is to have those legendary players on their team in emerald….

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

R O C.6574

So you want to back track to season 1 is what your saying….

TEAM A MMR RATINGS: 40, 40, 40, 10, 40… Total 170
TEAM B MMR RATINGS: 30, 30, 25, 10, 75… Total 170

Team A has the obvious advantage as the majority of players in team A should be able to defeat the players in team B.

I just pulled those numbers out of my bum but you get the point… This is the issue we had in season 1 and that is what it seems like your asking for again… The example from my understanding is how season 1 worked…

Give pips for individual performance as well as ream performance. So if a team loses, some will lose pips and some will not. That way pros and elites can still move through quickly

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Actually I met a member of Team PZ in Sapphire twice last night/this morning. They were duo queue’d so perhaps it was two members.

Yes they climbed out the way fast, but now they are doing it again. That defeats the stated purpose of the current matchmaking.

I suppose I would be honored if I were invited to play against PZ with a team that had practiced together and knew what they were getting into. Being roflstomped with two (or more, they may have been queue syncing and not partied ) ESL players against a full PuG wasn’t the least bit fun.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

omg you mean this season made it so the more skilled players move quicker through the ranks! BLASPHEMY!

That’s just about the only thing good about the season. The problem with how it was implemented was those win streaks came at other players’ expense. So many people left the game because they were tired of massive losing streaks.

Actually I met a member of Team PZ in Sapphire twice last night/this morning. They were duo queue’d so perhaps it was two members.

This is one good reason why we need MMR floors (but able to lose divisions): that way if you win five games (not necessarily consecutively) above a certain 200 point threshold (new floors every 200 MMR points) you’ll be locked into your own skill level while avoiding MMR hell ensuring that if you sink you’ll always be on the higher end of the MMR fence in that pip range until you rank out of it.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

That’s just about the only thing good about the season. The problem with how it was implemented was those win streaks came at other players’ expense. So many people left the game because they were tired of massive losing streaks.

Finally an actually valid point. Yes that is an issue. One that could be fixed by giving players who were higher ranked in the season before a little boost to begin… have legendary players start in ruby or something and so on down the line.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

this applies to you too.

Of course it does. What’s your point? I’m not saying I should be legendary, and as such I shouldn’t be expected to carry 4 pvptards to victory over a decent team. I just want to solo q and have a decent chance of getting teammates who know the basics of what to do and what not to do.

The point is nothing from prior seasons should affect the current season.

my point is that your actual mmr gets accurate pretty quickly and poorly made matches dont affect it all that much. getting matched poorly is not that uncommon unfortunately — first there is a smaller than hoped pool of players to draw teammates from, and second streaking and matching teams based on pip range instead of mmr when pips are a strongly nonzero sum system spread out players that should be matched together, potentially leaving your nearest neighbors in queue as outside of your skill range and giving you bad matches resulting in blowouts.

but blowouts like that dont affect your mmr too much, and it should be fairly accurate if you have a highish number of games played. and that means pros, goods, plebs, scrubs, and bads alike.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions