Why no GvG ANet?

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Skenderbeu.9102

Skenderbeu.9102

This has probably been asked 100 times, but why no GvG yet ANet?

I even heard at some point that an ANet employee found 2 guilds doing GvG in the Obsidian Sanctum and told them to stop.

What’s up? It’s called GW for a reason no? :s I am very sad

Little Krisi
WvW <3

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet launched the game saying there would be no GvG in the game. I think they’re probably looking at it now, but it was well known before launch that would not be part of the game.

I can’t say why that is, but we can theorize that in Guild Wars 1, though there was a hard core population of people into it, most players weren’t. They didn’t want to spend resources designing something up front that most people wouldn’t use, even though some were passionate about it. As I said, that’s just a guess though.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Anet launched the game saying there would be no GvG in the game. I think they’re probably looking at it now, but it was well known before launch that would not be part of the game.

I can’t say why that is, but we can theorize that in Guild Wars 1, though there was a hard core population of people into it, most players weren’t. They didn’t want to spend resources designing something up front that most people wouldn’t use, even though some were passionate about it. As I said, that’s just a guess though.

All of which is odd as they also indicated that they wanted GW2 to be an e-sport, something that is poorly supported by the current implementation.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

ANet doesn’t care about PvP, and even if they did, they haven’t been able to create solid PvP since GW1.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

And here I thought that the Obsidian Sanctum update would quiet the small minority of GvG players.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Only if they remove the now locked in trait unlock for “mitigate falling damage” that you have to complete OS to get unlocked……

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Vayne.8563

All of which is odd as they also indicated that they wanted GW2 to be an e-sport, something that is poorly supported by the current implementation.

Well, maybe they thought the current implementation would work better, and they’re invested in it so heavily they can’t just walk away. Like everything else it’s a business decision. You think GvG would make it a better esport. It might, it might not. It’s not your money that’s riding on the result, so it’s easy to say they should do it.

But in reality I’m sure they have people working for them who think it’s a good idea and people working for them who don’t. In any event, they did say straight out it wouldn’t be in the game. That’s my point.

But now, of course, that anything is on the table, it could be changing.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

And how would GvG be a better eSport implementation? You literally cannot make an eSport out of GvG, not with the numbers it takes. Even a fairly conservative amount of 15v15 would be completely and utterly unfeasible for an eSport. It’s too many people, spectating would be a confusing mess.

We do already have 5v5s, which is as far as you can take it as an eSport. There’s a reason why they limit team sizes to 5 players for a lot of eSports.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Ashen.2907

Well, maybe they thought the current implementation would work better, and they’re invested in it so heavily they can’t just walk away. Like everything else it’s a business decision. You think GvG would make it a better esport. It might, it might not. It’s not your money that’s riding on the result, so it’s easy to say they should do it.

But in reality I’m sure they have people working for them who think it’s a good idea and people working for them who don’t. In any event, they did say straight out it wouldn’t be in the game. That’s my point.

I am not saying that they should do it. I believe that the e-sport ship has sailed at this point.

I do think that GvG would have made a better e-sport.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Vayne.8563

I am not saying that they should do it. I believe that the e-sport ship has sailed at this point.

I do think that GvG would have made a better e-sport.

I actually think they should do it, as long as it doesn’t get dragged into PvE somehow. By the same token it may be too late to do it.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

@olba thats why still with un offical GvG in os with twitch from 1 person can make +1200 live views + u can add other personal pov videos aswell i think thats a fair amount yeaah? And guess there will be an officall gvg i think it can be better esport? + how many competitive players have already quit game cuz of there is no offical gvg..

@vayne can u give any link? About anet say in officially that there would have no gvg.. Cuz i am confused.. And as anet say in ready up balance philophies.. That they say balances should include wvw(large scale) mechanics.. And as i am mesmer player.. These nerfs on mesmer class? Any way as op ask "why there is no offical gvg? Why and what anet think about it?

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Vayne.8563

@olba thats why still with un offical GvG in os with twitch from 1 person can make +1200 live views + u can add other personal pov videos aswell i think thats a fair amount yeaah? And guess there will be an officall gvg i think it can be better esport? + how many competitive players have already quit game cuz of there is no offical gvg..

@vayne can u give any link? About anet say in officially that there would have no gvg.. Cuz i am confused.. And as anet say in ready up balance philophies.. That they say balances should include wvw(large scale) mechanics.. And as i am mesmer player.. These nerfs on mesmer class? Any way as op ask "why there is no offical gvg? Why and what anet think about it?

I may or may not be able to dig up links, but this was back before the official forum on Guild Wars 2 Guru. Anet was talking about WvW and SPvP and people asked if GvG was coming. The answer from Anet was that we don’t intend to have GvG in the game. Not at launch. Just generally.

The theory at the time was that they found in Guild Wars 1 that having so many formats of PvP split the player base too finely.

It was probably a mistake for them to think that way, but you know, hindsight is 20/20.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

yes shes dsaving all her love for expnsion

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I still think this is an example of ppl choosing to defining things solo on naming that they cant see what fools they are making of them self. GvG is a pvp type where guilds fight other guilds this means ANY type of pvp can be a GvG. Spvp CAN be a type of GvG WvW CAN be a type of GvG even the minly games can be a type of GvG. It take some level of work on the guilds part and your never realy going to have a Q set up to where a guild just waits randomly for another guild to join up in your game.

So yes there GvG in GW2 it may not be the type of GvG you want (caping points as the main point) but its still there. As there are in any game with a type of pvp system the only thing that is needed for a GvG to truly happen is the guilds them self the format is not important (tic-ta-tow can be a type of GvG if you realty want to get down to it.)

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Vayne.8563

Even if they made GvG in Guild Wars 2 it wouldn’t be the same. The synergy of the game is completely different. It would need a completely different type of GvG from Guild Wars 1.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

gvg was a high end competition part of gw1.. boost your morale with kills/ cap flags to get opportunity to kill enemy to kill guild lord etc.. rather than split style most use age is fights was on by the capture the flags as a deathmatch..

in gw2 we have unoffical gvg.. cuz of wvw environment is random generated unfair things interupting.. guilds are looking for fair matches.. mostly in goal of they are better.. gvg in gw2 is making death match in os with rounds at the moment..

it is working practically.. guilds who have better self sufficient skilled player and organization with sinergy and have timed sync wins.. (i mean its not all chaotic something as hack&slash style) players can still make pros or cons individually to his guild gvg compositon efficient..

yes gvg is Guild vs Guild, as tpvp guilds do.. but it is monotone to some players excatly who are gvg players from gw1.. personnaly i dont feel guild sprite in tpvp.. and i tasted gw2 unoffical gvg dm.. i like this.. why i purchased this game.. and moved from my gw1 gvg guild to here to make some gvg.. not me personnaly cuz i was inaktive but my guild quit gw2 for 1 reason tpvp was not enough for them and there is no gvg as gw1..
u know how many modes gw1 has? how many various customizations.. and my goal is.. anet can make little respect to kind of gvg.. gvg as tpvp is 5players capturing point style and as in things happen in OS is death match with rounds with wider customization than hotm..

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

>GW2
>e-sport

Attachments:

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

We need guild halls/new maps before any GVG can be played .. to be honest i wish they would have just copied gw1 pvp

[WM]give us in game ladder

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

…I even heard at some point that an ANet employee found 2 guilds doing GvG in the Obsidian Sanctum and told them to stop…

not 100% how it went down – first post here https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Some-ANET-interfered-with-our-GvG/page/5

And the origin of the title has been discussed many times over – has to do with lore that led up to GW1, not a game mode.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Even a fairly conservative amount of 15v15 would be completely and utterly unfeasible for an eSport. It’s too many people, spectating would be a confusing mess..

It’s conservative only for GW2, due to where this GvG iteration originated from — WvW. In GW1 it was 8v8. It could be 5v5, or same old 8v8, for GW2’s real GvG.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Olba.5376

Even a fairly conservative amount of 15v15 would be completely and utterly unfeasible for an eSport. It’s too many people, spectating would be a confusing mess..

It’s conservative only for GW2, due to where this GvG iteration originated from — WvW. In GW1 it was 8v8. It could be 5v5, or same old 8v8, for GW2’s real GvG.

So let me get this straight: 5v5 is not GvG because it’s too small, yeah? And yet somehow adding 3 players from each guild makes that into GvG? In a game where a guild can have up to 500 members?

How the kitten is that supposed to make any sense?

Because if you accept 5v5 as a form of GvG, then that already exists in sPvP, particularly with custom arenas.

in gw2 we have unoffical gvg.. cuz of wvw environment is random generated unfair things interupting.. guilds are looking for fair matches.. mostly in goal of they are better.. gvg in gw2 is making death match in os with rounds at the moment..

I think that’s quite asinine. The “unbalancing” elements in WvW are Bloodlust in Borderlands, which amounts to a maximum of +60 stats. The passive WvW bonuses also aren’t that noticeable.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

wasted.6817

GvG was a game mode. My comment was about your remark that 15v15 can’t be e-sport, where, i thought, willingly or not, you implied that GvG can’t have smaller numbers of players participating. It can and number of players in teams is a discussable thing, it doesn’t have to be 20, or 15, or 8, or 5. 8v8 doesn’t make it GvG if it’s still the same conquest kitten.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Olba.5376

GvG was a game mode. My comment was about your remark that 15v15 can’t be e-sport, where, i thought, willingly or not, you implied that GvG can’t have smaller numbers of players participating. It can and number of players in teams is a discussable thing, it doesn’t have to be 20, or 15, or 8, or 5. 8v8 doesn’t make it GvG if it’s still the same conquest kitten.

Well the thing I have been trying to push here is that most times you see people asking for GvG, they specifically state that 5v5 is not large enough. And I don’t see how adding a few (e.g. less than doubling the amount) would be any different, particularly when you consider that it would still amount to worst case scenario of covering 2% of your guild membership.

And since ANet is clearly pushing for the sPvP of GW2 to be taken seriously, if you want GvG in sPvP, it’ll have to be in a way that can be properly spectated. And one of the biggest things of being an eSport is not having redundant players. The more players you add, the more redundant each player is. So if you’re thinking of GvG, you’re going to have to go with small numbers. And we already have 5v5s, so why is that not good enough?

And if it’s the game mode that bothers you, then answer this: What game mode would you think is appropriate for GvG? How would you implement said game mode in sPvP in a way that it might be taken seriously as an eSport?

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Ashen.2907

Well the thing I have been trying to push here is that most times you see people asking for GvG, they specifically state that 5v5 is not large enough. And I don’t see how adding a few (e.g. less than doubling the amount) would be any different, particularly when you consider that it would still amount to worst case scenario of covering 2% of your guild membership.

This thread did not seem to be about team size from what I could see. The OP did not mention team size in either his title nor his post. Did someone else, other than you of course, bring it up ?

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I think ANET wants to make sure they do it right before implementing GvG. The main issue, is realizing GW2 plays differently than GW1, so it will take them a long time to perfect the design. But I am sure it is on their bucket list at some point.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

GW2 will never be a serious e-sport. I’m sorry, but it’s the truth. When people think of e-sports, they think of Dota, SC2, LoL, and even Smite.

They should just focus on making SPvP better, without all the e-sport baggage they’re trying to push on us.

I mean seriously, it would be amazing to have GvG, and new gametype modes in SPvP, but the push for e-sports is holding it back. Such a shame.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

wasted.6817

And if it’s the game mode that bothers you, then answer this: What game mode would you think is appropriate for GvG? How would you implement said game mode in sPvP in a way that it might be taken seriously as an eSport?

Tbh i think the e-sport train is long gone, so i don’t really care about the e-sport perspective, i was talking mainly from the point of having more fun game modes which would include a tighter team work in it, require more synergy. I’am not convinced it’s at all possible however, due to the nature of GW2’s “one man army”/“jack of all trades” class mechanic.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I wonder what is so great on GvG if maybe a 1000+ member guild like TTS would declare war against a 10 member guild.
Also there are a lot people here in most guilds that just avoid PvP and when i was forced to PvP in another MMO because of a “Guild War” i just logged out for 2 hours until that crap was over.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

wasted.6817

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gvg

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

What has that to do with Guild vs Guild ? Its just an 8 vs 8 Arena, why should that be bound in any form to a Guild ?

You know, not everyone played GW1 and maybe other MMOs instead, and in MMOs GvG means exactly that, one Guild fights against another Guild.
Something like this :
http://www.lineage2.com/en/game/the-library/clans/clan-wars.php

Or stands GvG for Group vs Group ? Since thats what i would call it. Just a mode where 2 groups are built and then they fight against each other.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

wasted.6817

You can call it whatever you like, but that’s how it was called in original game and that’s what it was there. You’re playing Guild Wars 2, it’s a sequel to Guild Wars 1, i believe most of the ppl who bring up the GvG topic here mean GvG as in GW1’s GvG and not in LA2 clan wars. And giving the fact that you obviously disliked the clan wars in LA2 or whatever it was in “other MMOs”, i don’t really understand the point of yours, or more like, do you have one at all.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Olba.5376

You can call it whatever you like, but that’s how it was called in original game and that’s what it was there. You’re playing Guild Wars 2, it’s a sequel to Guild Wars 1, i believe most of the ppl who bring up the GvG topic here mean GvG as in GW1’s GvG and not in LA2 clan wars. And giving the fact that you obviously disliked the clan wars in LA2 or whatever it was in “other MMOs”, i don’t really understand the point of yours, or more like, do you have one at all.

The thing is, we already have organized 5v5s. Is there something meaningful to the gameplay that you could get by adding 3 players to each side? Because you don’t go from 5v5 to 8v8 “because it’s familiar”.

And from what I have seen, most GvG people believe that 5 is not a large enough number. So I ask: What is a large enough number for GvG and what is its meaningful difference in terms of gameplay from 5v5?

Tbh i think the e-sport train is long gone, so i don’t really care about the e-sport perspective, i was talking mainly from the point of having more fun game modes which would include a tighter team work in it, require more synergy.

If anything, adding more players results in less synergy, because you can cover holes with numbers. And the eSports angle has to be taken seriously, because ANet is taking it seriously.

This thread did not seem to be about team size from what I could see. The OP did not mention team size in either his title nor his post. Did someone else, other than you of course, bring it up ?

From what I can see, team size is the only difference between current sPvP and GvG. Unless there’s some “GvG gamemode” that the GvG people are all referring to when saying “GvG”.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

This is the one thing that made me scratch my head with Arena net. I felt like they ditched all of the different pvp modes from the previous game for the chance at forcing gw2 into being an E-sport with the one conquest mode. Its not exactly easy to see whats going on on screen when the impact effects cover up entire fights and everyone is playing an Asura.

E-sports start with the community….or atleast I always thought it did. Maybe Im wrong but I dont see how the constant push into making gw2 an Esport is going to work. The typ of people who generaly play mmorogs could care less about E-sports. This isnt a MOBA or an RTS or a fighting game like SF3rdStrike or the new Killer Instinc. I just dont get it. Still love everyghing else about the game though

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Burnham.2613

Burnham.2613

What has that to do with Guild vs Guild ? Its just an 8 vs 8 Arena, why should that be bound in any form to a Guild ?

You know, not everyone played GW1 and maybe other MMOs instead, and in MMOs GvG means exactly that, one Guild fights against another Guild.
Something like this :
http://www.lineage2.com/en/game/the-library/clans/clan-wars.php

Or stands GvG for Group vs Group ? Since thats what i would call it. Just a mode where 2 groups are built and then they fight against each other.

You don’t get to change the definition of GvG just because you didn’t like it or didn’t play it for any number of reasons. The fact remains, in the Guild Wars Universe (which this is), the definition of GvG is the game mode from Guild Wars 1. Those giant zerg vs zerg open world fights in WvW are nothing more than organized zerg vs zergs. They may be referred to as Guild vs Guild in other games but, in the context of Guild Wars, they are not.

That being said, due to all the design changes and combat mechanic changes from GW1 to GW2, the spirit of GvG from GW1 that made it such a beloved game mode for those who played it is impossible to recreate. Dedicated healing and support tactics would need a complete reworking in order for the spirit of the game to recreate itself. An exact copy could still be a lot of fun considering it would basically just be organized BYOB (bring your own build), which was a very fun way to play GvG when you wanted a break from the tiresome meta of the time, but it still wouldn’t elicit the same fanfare that GW1 GvG had.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Word to the wise: players looking for GW1 pvp will find only frustration and despair in this game. We will never have GW1 GvG in GW2. It’s not the team sizes or the maps, it’s that the game operates in a fundamentally different way with no healers.

edit: oh I guess Burnham already had me covered

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Skenderbeu.9102

Skenderbeu.9102

No I did not mention it you are correct :p. But I just want to see a proper GvG structure with queues where guilds can queue up and play 15v15, 20v20, 25v25, deathmatch mode, no lords to kill, no points to cap, just plain and simple GvG DM, et.c. Maybe a highscore leaderboard. I’d like not to see this game get pushed into an e-sport and I highly doubt it will especially from the GvG perspective, it’s too chaotic and the community might worsen because of all the elitism e-sports would bring, I think. These are just some of my thoughts :p

Little Krisi
WvW <3

(edited by Skenderbeu.9102)

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

GvG in Guild Wars 1 nowadays (and before mostly) is “3-2-1 spike”.

Then the monk use prot and infuse heals.

It’s boring. IWAY made it better.

and they killed IWAY. so GW1 is kitten at the moment.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Aztex.4895

Aztex.4895

Getting back to this game after beeing absent for almost 1 year, I still see the same problems inside this game. When we’re talking about combat, GvG, sPVP, WvW and e-sports, all I have to say is this:

- Due to a few but big and unfortunate flaws, this game’s combat is made for small-medium quantity of players (10-40 players). It’s the best combat I’ve seen in any mmorpg, but some core decisions the devs made in it (before AND after game launch) made combat with a big ammount of players (+40players) to be a zerg-fest which many computers can’t stand due to the ammount of information shared during those fights.

- GvG with 30-40 players: could be very interesting in this game if it had many objectives and separated the guilds groups due to the tactics/strategies involved.

- sPVP as GVG: First of all, sPVP is still completelly broken in terms of a competitive game, BUT it seems to be starting it’s first steps in the right direction: gathering the interest of it’s players in that game mode and pulling a huge ammount to play that feature.
Of course there are always consequences: the environment becomes more toxic (full of flames, “kids”, “noobs”… well, exactly like LOL); the quality of the players tend to go very low in its overall in the first months because the ammount of unskilled players is too big.
Now there’s only one way to make this possible. Create an ingame structure that brings the players together into teams that can become competitive. We still don’t have it yet (if we had there wasn’t so many complaints about hot-joins and 4vs5’s because players would be much more focused on ranked games… because “hot-joins are for noobs ya know!?” * says any LOL player ever*) but Anet can’t be late to introduce that structure in the near future.
If sPVP becomes competitive, why not turning it into a GvG-kind of competition?! You do know that most competitive and popular teams in the world are known because they have a small ammount of their big chunk of players playing well?! just look at football (soccer for u US players) where the biggest clubs in the worlds are know because only 11-14 players play in a match even though the professional team has 20-30 players in it and they also bring some Junior players when they want to.
The best Guilds could also be the ones who have 2 or 3 teams of 5 players who happen to be in some of the best teams in the EU/NA/World.

- WvW: to me it was fun for many months, but half those months were also a pain to play because of it’s flaws, some of them due to combat and others due to how the maps and the access to them were made. It’s a good way to have fun, but we all know that if Anet creates some kind of GvG or Mass-PVP which is much more challenging and competitive, WvW would die in an instant due to the lack of PVP players in it. We all know that without the PVP players persistance, WvW “epic-moments” would be non-existant right now.

- e-sports: Well, when people say this game is not a LOL/DOTA/SC/whatever, they also don’t remmember that those games didn’t became competitive just because of their genre or because they are “easy to watch”. They became competitive because they were able to increase their player base significantly enough to make that possible and then they had/created a structure to make their competitive level to rise while keeping the interest of the most players they had. They had a plan and they had the right timing, structure and ideas for the plan to work. Not all games of them same genre get to that level and you all know it’s true, because they lacked something among those things. And people had to learn how those games worked in order to enjoy them and that’s only possible if the player base of that game increases a lot. Do you know how many people who play games don’t understand s**t about SC and hate it?! we can say the same about LOL, DOTA and any kind of game. And it’s funny to see those same players looking at GW2 combat and become completelly amazed by it. The problem is always about the ammount of players each game has and the plans the games Devs have for it to become an e-sport.
GW2 had those issues. Right now it’s rebooting itself again in sPVP by bringing a lot of players to the feature again. Let’s see if it works or not.
I doubt it can work, since A-net is stubborn as hell, but if they surprise me, they will surprise everyone else I know who plays/played this game.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Assuming the servers can handle the load, most pvp maps (obviously with some drastic terrain changes) are well suited for 15v15 and 20v20s.

That would be ideal. Wouldnt have to worry about food, waiting for banner to recharge, insanely hard hitting power thieves + necros, and the idiot trolo who puts you in combat before match start.

edit: oh yeah and spectator mode.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I don’t know. When you have a dedicated fanbase and a group of people sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for you to do something great so they can praise you to the ends of the Earth, I think I would take a chance on GvG.

My thought is that if you please your core audience they will bring you the masses.

GW2 had their core at the start but they squandered it and they are squandering their chances of expanding/retaining their current WvW playerbase by not appealing to the GvG cry.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

Guild Versus Guild could be added in form of battlegrounds for 10v10 20v20 30v30 40v40 50v50 and so on.
But, this would require design of new maps, with missions (such as take or return the flag) and a big space in the middle for fighting; not to mention design for guilds to challenge each other, and for officer to accept the challenge with selected members from guild.
The idea is easy. The design and programming is the hard part. And in the end the reward will be small because customers will not buy more items (except finishers) from Trading Post just because they have GvG.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Guild Versus Guild could be added in form of battlegrounds for 10v10 20v20 30v30 40v40 50v50 and so on.
But, this would require design of new maps, with missions (such as take or return the flag) and a big space in the middle for fighting; not to mention design for guilds to challenge each other, and for officer to accept the challenge with selected members from guild.
The idea is easy. The design and programming is the hard part. And in the end the reward will be small because customers will not buy more items (except finishers) from Trading Post just because they have GvG.

I thought keeping a good/growing concurrent userbase is also part of running an MMO.

Building that system would keep players playing for a longer period of time. The GvG scene is doing it’s best to thrive on it’s own. I think Anet should just do them the courtesy and give them a self controlled system like the automated tournaments in GW1.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Motoko.2875

Motoko.2875

Wow. There is so much information in this post I don’t even think it can be considered a post.

Guild Wars 1 was built to be a GvG game. Play the PvE portion. It literally prepares you for the different concepts you would encounter in PvP/GvG. Why do you think they had 2 world championships with an audience and prize pool far bigger than GW2 has seen to this date?

GW1 GvG had more participation than GW2 sPvP has seen to date.

Anet saw value in profiting in PvE. Look at all the gem store items etc etc. That is why they did not focus on GW2 PvP. Profit. Profit profit profit.

If you want to get an understanding of what killed GW1 GvG… Head over to this thread and try to ignore some of the kitten talking. http://teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35182

Anet killed GvG. There were several factors that did GvG in, and those are listed in the thread, but the fact is, Anet screwed up. And they haven’t looked back.

They screwed over their original player base. Don’t be naive thinking they wouldn’t dare do the same to you.

IGN: Motoko, Motoko Kai, Gladiator Motoko – Zero Quality [zQ], [LaG], [USA]

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

Because additional game-modes won’t improve GW2 PvP. It’s not worth buying an expensive dress just to help a corpse feign a shallow prettiness.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Hey sken, ive been in the gvg for a year now and ill give you my input on this. Exactly what GvG players would want in this game has really changed since the beginning of GvG I think. At this point, all people really want is a more convenient want to fight the other guild without having to result to the OS taking up space in WvW.

You have to be realistic about what we are asking for because its Anet, so even if the mode was added, the depth of the mode probably wouldn’t be too deep but that would be okay with me. I don’t really think most people would want there to even be class balancing as far as gvg goes, that would just be too complicated. Just give us the ability to invite guilds to our guild halls whenever those are released, and that would solve an enormous amount of problems.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Guild Wars was just a franchise name theft. GW2 has nothing to do with actual Guild Wars.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

Well, at some point, someone high in the dev food chain decided that they knew what was best for PvP and ignored … a lot of advice … and refused to try a number of things, including game modes alternate to Conquest. (they said they didn’t want to divide the pvp commuity.)

Now that it’s pretty obvious that person was wrong, and their PvP failed to meet expectations… one would hope anet would give us what we all were promised / pre ordered… but I think that person probably still thinks they were a genius ahead of their time and we all just aren’t ready for them yet.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

It’s easy

10 v 10 gvg in sPvP

Allow exotic armor combos so the teams can retain the high build customization they currently enjoy.

Profit

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

I don’t know. When you have a dedicated fanbase and a group of people sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for you to do something great so they can praise you to the ends of the Earth, I think I would take a chance on GvG.

My thought is that if you please your core audience they will bring you the masses.

GW2 had their core at the start but they squandered it and they are squandering their chances of expanding/retaining their current WvW playerbase by not appealing to the GvG cry.

The GvG scene has definitely dropped since it started, but it’s still alive, and one could say it actually competes with game modes anet supports and advertises. For ex: two big GvGs between the kings of EU and NA racked up nearly 1400 viewers on a stream, and that was unadvertised. A PvE tournament, which was advertised on the forum page by Anet, barely exceeded that if at all, in viewers. And PvE is supposed to be the most popular game mode… makes you think eh? Now i’m not saying GvG is or ever was the most popular thing to do in GW2, but what I am saying, is that even without anet’s support it can compete with things that anet advertises and pushes. Just imagine the GvG scene if anet actually supported it. I’m willing to bet that if anet actually focused on GvG and supported it, it could very well have been the most popular competitive game mode and the closest thing GW2 would ever get to an “esport”.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

Why no GvG ANet?

in PvP

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

And here I thought that the Obsidian Sanctum update would quiet the small minority of GvG players.

You obviously missed the twitch viewers when EU v NA recently?

GW2 has nothing to do with actual Guild Wars.

A point which no one except lore junkies gives a %$#@ about.