Why play spvp?

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Panda.3701

Panda.3701

So they added a lot of things to spvp, kinda wanna try it out but why should I?
Takes 4 wins in solo q to get 1 gold, the gear you get if you win can only be use in spvp so its useless, I don’t care about the ranks, also in almost every game there always players missing so its more like a 3v5 and that makes it no fun to even play. Can someone at lest tell me something to get me more into it, I really wanna spvp but its more of a headache then anything els.

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

why, so you can experience the joys of fighting spirit rangers, of course

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

I see you’ve gotten the predictable useless sarcastic and cynical replies.

1. I started playing PvP for one reason: I loved the idea of WvW but wasn’t too keen on what happened when I went in there with no experience fighting other players. That is, getting killed regularly and quickly. I thought PvP would be a good way to hone my skills and especially get over the “panic” feeling I’d always get in WvW when another player attacked me. I’m almost ready to start WvWing again and see how well that has worked, but I already notice my confidence level is much higher even in PvP matches.

2. PvP is a free playground. You can start a new character in a class you’ve never played, go to the Mists and you’re level 80 with a free selection of any weapons, runes and sigils you want. While the gear doesn’t perfectly match that of PvE/WvW, you can easily change builds and equipment and it doesn’t cost anything, making it perfect for experimenting.

3. It’s challenging, and that draws me despite the many frustrations of the current system. After you PvP you find PvE to be pretty much a joke (if it wasn’t before). And the fighting is much more balanced and much more under your control than in most WvW encounters.

It’s unfortunate that Arenanet has neglected the problems with PvP for so long. They say they are going to make it a priority going forward and I hope they do. But there’s still fun to be had if you look for it.

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Geff.1930

Geff.1930

This question only gets asked by mmorpg players. I’ve never heard a MOBA player ask why play?

I ask this: why play PvE? Mindlessly killing trivial AI mobs so that you get some gear and some fictional impression of progress so that you can kill more AI mobs.

PvP is like playing a sport not unlike soccer or chess. Your testing your wits against other players, not against AI mobs. This game does not offer the same scene where professional players play casted tournaments each weekend (this is due to game imbalance), but there are other games that do. Watching the pros make amazing plays encourages you to practice and get better at the game. Again, not so true in this game because there is too great of an element of luck and randomness built into the game mechanics and therefore less of an element of skill.

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Ulalume.9584

Ulalume.9584

There’s only one reason to play pvp in any game and that is because you enjoy killing other players.

Find a class you like, play 5v5 hotjoin matches until you hit rank 20, then join tournaments. Once you get into pvp, you’ll never look back.

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: entropy.9613

entropy.9613

Don’t. We already have to carry enough care bears who only PvP for the money.

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

Ima go out on a limb and say play for fun? This is a really dumb question holy cow.

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

the essence of pvp is pvp by itself
this means fighting other players on an equal basis (more or less) and just having fun with it.
if you only want to do it to maybe get some extra money you might not get happy here. this mode will not work chilled and leaned back most of the time one-handed like pve

but if so, just hop in and give it a try – it cost nothing

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

The essence of pvp is standing on a point and trying not to die. Right Anet? Right?!?!?!

O wait, turns out that wasnt the essence of pvp! O noes! They kittened this game up because they were too stubborn to listen to people who knew better.

But phew, at least we get new game modes coming in “custom arenas”. Which is just selling hotjoin servers. You know hotjoin? The horribly unbalanced thing where people are actually encouraged to just join and leave mid game! Hurray!

Well played anet. Well played. Maybe one day you will learn Maybe then we get tournaments for non player vs point game modes.

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Mabuse.2879

Mabuse.2879

What are your goals in a game? Your original post is all about getting stuff. sPvP is about winning battles against other players, not getting stuff.

There are certainly problems with the design of sPvP, but Panda, you’ll have to rethink what you want to achieve.

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

The essence of pvp is standing on a point and trying not to die. Right Anet? Right?!?!?!

others say fighting creeps around towers in lanes is pvp, well…

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

@ OP
PvP/PvE gear eventually will be the same gear. So good news is that all those skins your getting will be good for PvE. Matches per hour tends to be about 5, so in solo arena @50:50 win/loss that’s about 1 gold an hour plus 1100 glory and with glory boosters about 1500 glory. Plus currently you get 5 wintersday gifts per win so that’s about 25 more silver per hour.

That all said, you’re playing with a reward centric mindset. PvP is just fun, that’s the reason to play.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

So they added a lot of things to spvp, kinda wanna try it out but why should I?
Takes 4 wins in solo q to get 1 gold, the gear you get if you win can only be use in spvp so its useless, I don’t care about the ranks, also in almost every game there always players missing so its more like a 3v5 and that makes it no fun to even play. Can someone at lest tell me something to get me more into it, I really wanna spvp but its more of a headache then anything els.

for the same reason you play counter strike, its fun! You don’t need ingame progression, your own skills as a player will progress indefinately!

oh, wait, gw2 pvp… yea neither of those are really relevant here.

Why play spvp?

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

if you like non-stop, unpredictable small- and/or large-scale fighting, do WVW. solo roaming, 2vX, 5-man, 20-man organised and/or full-scale zerg fighting have very different requirements in terms of skill/twitch, situational awareness, build requirements, game knowledge, etc.

if you like repetitive and predictable small-scale fighting in circles match after match, do sPVP.

downed state is bad for PVP