Why so Toxic?

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: Adamant.2543

Adamant.2543

Seriously, I just started up with sPvP, and already I’m sick of it. As I understand it, we’re stuck in the same map until rank 10, and every single map there’s at least one guy who just can’t shut up about how we’re all noobs and how he’s doing everything. Meanwhile, I’m playing defense, because apparently nobody else wants to do it, and someones gotta keep the gates up. We’ve got guys running supply and fighting in the center to keep the other team from getting it, and Mr. Toxic is always, ALWAYS running face first into the enemy base and flopping over.

Maybe I’m just an idiot for trying to explain all that to them, but I can only be called a [Bundle of Sticks] so many times before I give up altogether, and I have to wonder, how many other newbies are experiencing this and saying screw it?

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Step 1: block player
Step 2: …..
Step 3: profit

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Step 4: Get out of hotjoin.
Step 5: Queue unranked.

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: ozzy.8059

ozzy.8059

this is what happens when you introduce pve into a pvp area

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Adamant.2543

How insightful. I’ve never thought to do that in a game, ever. That clearly makes toxic players cease to exist for everyone, right?

I am queuing unranked, way to make assumptions though.

People like you two are exactly part of the problem, just pop in and make snarky comments and act like it’s made you superior to the poor noob.

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

How insightful. I’ve never thought to do that in a game, ever. That clearly makes toxic players cease to exist for everyone, right?

People like you two are exactly part of the problem, just pop in and make snarky comments and act like it’s made you superior to the poor noob.

You sound a lot more toxic than they do.

Really the only thing you can do is ignore them. What did you expect anyway, a way to make all humans love each other or just disappear?

I’ve never had any problems in ranked or unranked. That’s because I don’t even look at the chat because I don’t really care what anyone’s saying unless I’m in an organised group (in which case, I’d be using one of the many free voice chat systems).

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Adamant.2543

You sound a lot more toxic than they do.

Because I… what? Pointed out the flaw in their snarky response, giving me advice to ignore people, which I’ve done since I started playing games a decade ago, and making assumptions about which game mode I’m joining, which caused them to flat out be wrong?

Ignoring people after they’ve insulted me doesn’t change the fact that they’ve insulted me, and it doesn’t make the game more fun to have members of my team that I have to ignore and never speak to, forgoing any ability to communicate and organize a strategy.

Whatever, this thread confirms it, Guild Wars 2 sPvP is a scene I want no part in, since apparently the order of the day is “Get a premade or never play as a team ever, and if you don’t want to be treated like kitten, it’s your own fault for not ignoring everyone”

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: rennlc.7346

rennlc.7346

The most basic part of why players are toxic is because digital characters and text isn’t enough to register that a player is a person in our brains. People actually need to see someone’s face or hear the tone of their voice to be automatically empathetic. This is because part of our brain determines how other people are feeling by calculating their emotional state from physical appearance or how they sound and making us feel the same way. When we don’t have these made available, we no longer instinctively sense how others are feeling and we don’t treat people like people.

Beyond that I’d say it’s a combination of cultural negativity toward video games, particularly in America, and that people who spend a great deal of time playing a video game are partly doing so because they’ve been unable to find similar success in other parts of life. Thus, we play and partly dislike ourselves for doing so but instead of challenging the cultural norms about video games or withdrawing from playing video games, we play and take part of our inward negativity out on other players.

We’re also generally just really unaware that if something isn’t being done the way we would like, name-calling and excuse-making isn’t exactly the optimal way of pursuing improvement. There are even philosophers who theorize about how because American culture is still so heavily based on individuality, we might be encouraging unnecessary disagreement because it’s seemingly easier to standout as a person through disagreeing with others than agreeing.

Anyhow… why so toxic? Ignorance. Lots of ignorance.

(edited by rennlc.7346)

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: princode.2750

princode.2750

Seriously, I just started up with sPvP, and already I’m sick of it. As I understand it, we’re stuck in the same map until rank 10, and every single map there’s at least one guy who just can’t shut up about how we’re all noobs and how he’s doing everything. Meanwhile, I’m playing defense, because apparently nobody else wants to do it, and someones gotta keep the gates up. We’ve got guys running supply and fighting in the center to keep the other team from getting it, and Mr. Toxic is always, ALWAYS running face first into the enemy base and flopping over.

Maybe I’m just an idiot for trying to explain all that to them, but I can only be called a [Bundle of Sticks] so many times before I give up altogether, and I have to wonder, how many other newbies are experiencing this and saying screw it?

Apparantly the rest of the ppl tht post here did not read your thread. In general the pvp I gw2 there’s a lot of player tht think they are the best and when the team is losing it’s not his fault but his team fault. Quickly get to rank 10 get into conquest its better there stronghold is a fail map they are forcing new player to play this map by and hoping u all will like it

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

I tell you to the ignore the toxicity and you tell me I’m a troll? Totally mature. You have a problem with toxicity and you assume that there’s a more realistic solution aside from muting the toxic player?

Looks like you don’t really want a solution.

Why so Toxic?

in PvP

Posted by: hotcarl.8621

hotcarl.8621

The most basic part of why players are toxic is because digital characters and text isn’t enough to register that a player is a person in our brains. People actually need to see someone’s face or hear the tone of their voice to be automatically empathetic. This is because part of our brain determines how other people are feeling by calculating their emotional state from physical appearance or how they sound and making us feel the same way. When we don’t have these made available, we no longer instinctively sense how others are feeling and we don’t treat people like people.

Beyond that I’d say it’s a combination of cultural negativity toward video games, particularly in America, and that people who spend a great deal of time playing a video game are partly doing so because they’ve been unable to find similar success in other parts of life. Thus, we play and partly dislike ourselves for doing so but instead of challenging the cultural norms about video games or withdrawing from playing video games, we play and take part of our inward negativity out on other players.

We’re also generally just really unaware that if something isn’t being done the way we would like, name-calling and excuse-making isn’t exactly the optimal way of pursuing improvement. There are even philosophers who theorize about how because American culture is still so heavily based on individuality, we might be encouraging unnecessary disagreement because it’s seemingly easier to standout as a person through disagreeing with others than agreeing.

Anyhow… why so toxic? Ignorance. Lots of ignorance.

Wow, that is probably the most accurate statement I have ever read on these forums. You sir, are a genius, and I say that with complete sincerity. I think most of us have probably been on both sides of this at times… I’ve started to realize that when I get that frustrated at my teammates, I probably need to take a break from PvP, or GW in general.