Why was solo queue removed, again?

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

Can anyone remind me?

Solo queue was extremely successful: it was the most popular mode/had the most active amount of players, had the shortest queue times, was the “fairest” or most impartial and equal mode.

And then Arenanet deleted it.

??? What?

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Small player base.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Actually according to John, it was never their intentions to separate Solo and Team Que to begin with. He believes now, with the necessary algorithms in place, we could combine the two ques.

That has yet to be the case. It’s been quite hectic for solo players since the merger.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: someone.7485

someone.7485

Due to small player base it was have ranked/unranked or solo/team. They thought ranked/unranked was more beneficial.

(edited by someone.7485)

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Speak for yourself only, i had to wait over 10 min a match at the end and to be honest it was some of the worst team play ive ever seen. To this day people still dont undertand there roles.

Some builds are meant to fight of point and others are meant to fight on point. Solo que imo stopped the growth of the pvp commmunity. You see people coming on here talking about people fighting off point. Yeah most thieves and mesmers are supposed too. Also many rangers and other hybrid builds are suppose to fight off point.

Solo que made was a not a good thing in the short run or overall but you can believe what you wish.

in PvP

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Tired of totally lopsided Team[player name] vs. Team [Guild Name]

Fact is, no algorithm is going to compensate for the coordination and potential voice coms on one side and not the other. Let’s stop pretending it can.

in PvP

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

Fact is, no algorithm is going to compensate for the coordination and potential voice coms on one side and not the other. Let’s stop pretending it can.

This 100×. It happens so often its not even funny. I am so tired of these stomps that inevitable happen once you see you are not against actual solo players but a coordinated team. It makes the whole match futile. A team q should exists.

banished from time and space

in PvP

Posted by: GeneralJimmy.2186

GeneralJimmy.2186

Yeah right now most matches are just kitten.
Makes no sense merge ques because of playerbase? Then split them at the same time.

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

This 100×. It happens so often its not even funny. I am so tired of these stomps that inevitable happen once you see you are not against actual solo players but a coordinated team. It makes the whole match futile. A team q should exists.

It rarely happens. There are dozens of threads where one player starts by complaining he’s always matched against premades, while in reality it’s 3 out of 70 games, and it’s like 311 against 11111. They even made the size of team a stronger criteria in MM, and now queuing in full premade in ranked usually unbalanced matches: either you lose hard against a top team, or you stomp a team of noobs.

The thing is, there were two types of solo players in the old system. The one who played soloq, and the ones who went solo in teamq. The latter had more mechanical skill, more map awareness and better team play. These players are now matched against old soloq players, and they naturally outplay them. The old soloq was a noob queue, good riddance.

in PvP

zone.1073

It rarely happens. There are dozens of threads where one player starts by complaining he’s always matched against premades, while in reality it’s 3 out of 70 games

This is subjective. On average it may “rarely” happen, but the average itself can change very quickly depending on the circumstances because of the small player pool. The average from a player pool of a million + active players is different from the average of a pool of a thousand players.

For an anecdotal example, I was playing arenas on a low traffic hour of a weekday, and was matched against a team consisting of 3/5 or 4/5 Abjured players. That’s fine if it was one game, but no, it was 6 games in a row matched against the same Abjured team. I took a 45 minute break to avoid them, came back in queue, and again was matched versus the Abjured team. It was amazingly, beautifully awful.

in PvP

Posted by: someone.7485

someone.7485

It rarely happens. There are dozens of threads where one player starts by complaining he’s always matched against premades, while in reality it’s 3 out of 70 games

This is subjective. On average it may “rarely” happen, but the average itself can change very quickly depending on the circumstances because of the small player pool. The average from a player pool of a million + active players is different from the average of a pool of a thousand players.

For an anecdotal example, I was playing arenas on a low traffic hour of a weekday, and was matched against a team consisting of 3/5 or 4/5 Abjured players. That’s fine if it was one game, but no, it was 6 games in a row matched against the same Abjured team. I took a 45 minute break to avoid them, came back in queue, and again was matched versus the Abjured team. It was amazingly, beautifully awful.

This is the shame about playing during low traffic hours. If they still have profession based MMR turned on (last I saw it was being used as a small factor in MM) then switch to a less played profession and you may get a different match up. A second account is also good for this. If one of the players is streaming you can wait till their queue pops to go queue yourself (you really should not have to do this). You could also try waiting 10min to queue after match ends. High end teams frequently take about this long to find a match.

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Actually according to John, it was never their intentions to separate Solo and Team Que to begin with. He believes now, with the necessary algorithms in place, we could combine the two ques.

That has yet to be the case. It’s been quite hectic for solo players since the merger.

His beliefs turn out again, a false one.

You can find so many premade in the unrank one, farming those poor soloers.
Leaderboard does nothing though.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Played 30 games so far…
None of them was against a team.

If anything the premade/ people teaming up population has dwindled.

What I think the point of removing the solo que is that it encourages people to party up and thus partying up is better chance at winning.

Yet, there is hardly any teams left, hardly any people left. It’s no wonder why in ESL Abjured wins all the games, they pretty much all that’s left.

This game really needs something to encourage the playerbase to party up. Perhaps double reward track bonus for a full party of people.
Also, the fact theres really no point in partying up. Its not like there’s a real tournament going on with big prizes (I’m talking in game), or recognition for winning the tournament… Like GW1 did.

Lets be real, if you can go all day winning games consecutively , you should be earning gold faster than those that do gold farms all day.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Trakarg.2095

Trakarg.2095

Just fought a premade of 4 vs a full pug in courtyard, lol. This new system is garbage.

in PvP

Posted by: Trakarg.2095

Trakarg.2095

Oh look, another premade of 5 against a team of puggers. kittening brilliant. Thanks.

in PvP

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

It rarely happens. There are dozens of threads where one player starts by complaining he’s always matched against premades, while in reality it’s 3 out of 70 games, and it’s like 311 against 11111. They even made the size of team a stronger criteria in MM, and now queuing in full premade in ranked usually unbalanced matches: either you lose hard against a top team, or you stomp a team of noobs.

The thing is, there were two types of solo players in the old system. The one who played soloq, and the ones who went solo in teamq. The latter had more mechanical skill, more map awareness and better team play. These players are now matched against old soloq players, and they naturally outplay them. The old soloq was a noob queue, good riddance.

I do not have statistics (nobody in this forum except the stuff does) but I play little enough to keep track of my games. 3 of 70? Not even close baby. The number doesnt matter though, because there is no good, sensible or otherwise decent argument for having these Q’s merged.

banished from time and space

in PvP

Sorel.4870

Yup, the staff does have stats. In this thread you can find the case I referenced, and one is even worse: a player pretending being constantly matched against premades, while in fact it was 4 times out of 173!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Recent-matchmaking-issues/first

Now, if you want real arguments: why should Anet cater to the needs of solo players more than to those who want to queue with one or two friends? The current MM has jts flaws, but it is the most fun I’ve ever had duo queuing or tri queuing. You think you’re matched against premades now? You should have played with a friend in the old system.

in PvP

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

Meh. My second or third match after I logged in today was against a premade and we got kitten d. Logged out. It’s really not that hard to realize why the PvP playerbase is small. Anet are just very skilled at bad decisions.

in PvP

Sorel.4870

Meh. My second or third match after I logged in today was against a premade and we got kitten d. Logged out. It’s really not that hard to realize why the PvP playerbase is small. Anet are just very skilled at bad decisions.

I’m not saying it never happens. I’m saying that the frequency of these events is greatly exaggerated by some delusional sore soloq losers. Yes, the player base is small, that’s why we must be the most accurate we can in sharing our experiences. Now that the number of players in a team is such a strong MM factor, my matches in full premade are a lot more unfair (either 500-100 or 100-500 is not a rare thing) than my soloq matches. I’d much prefer to have a more balanced experience. Maybe you only queue solo, but some of us like to team up, and not only in full premade. Sure we don’t complain on the forum as much, it doesn’t mean our interests must not be taken into account.

in PvP

zone.1073

On the same subject, I just got out a match between 5 pugs and Noscoc’s team from Abjured. What a coincidence.

Here it is. I’m playing leeloo, the necro they keep focusing and referring to on teamspeak:

http://youtu.be/7iy2t2GhLK8

(edited by zone.1073)

in PvP

Sorel.4870

On the same subject, I just got out a match between 5 pugs and Noscoc’s team from Abjured. What a coincidence.

Here it is. I’m playing leeloo, the necro they keep focusing no and referring to on teamspeak:

Well, what are you complaining about? It looked like a fun and balanced match on their point of view at least. Shouldn’t it be what you want from the match making?

in PvP

zone.1073

Well, what are you complaining about? It looked like a fun and balanced match on their point of view at least. Shouldn’t it be what you want from the match making?

Yeah of course it was fun for them when they’re all on teamspeak versus 5 pugs. Yes they lost but did you see how much of a struggle it was, even with their aids necro team comp.

It was so far from balanced. The point is that a scenario like this should never be allowed to happen no matter how frequent or infrequent it is. A wifebeater beats up his wife once a month: does that make it alright?

in PvP

Posted by: glock.6590

glock.6590

because arenanet is stupid. you diidnt know?

6’4’’ Master Race. I am Above You.

in PvP

zone.1073

In games like League of Legends, it’s not out of the ordinary to be matched with/against an ultra famous, ultra skilled LCS player like Bjergsen in solo queue. The difference, however, is that it would just be Bjergsen, and not his entire LCS team posse. The solo queue system would never allow that to happen, and balances itself out.

The fact that in gw2 a premade team of ultra skilled players can get together to crush pugs in queue is asinine. Perhaps for the individal pug it may not happen frequently, but that premade team will go on crushing pug team after pug team continuously, negatively affecting perhaps hundreds of players’ experiences and impressions with the game.

(edited by zone.1073)

in PvP

Sorel.4870

In games like League of Legends, it’s not out of the ordinary to be matched with/against an ultra famous, ultra skilled LCS player like Bjergsen in solo queue. The difference, however, is that it would just be Bjergsen, and not his entire LCS team posse. The solo queue system would never allow that to happen, and balances itself out.

The fact that in gw2 a premade team of ultra skilled players can get together to crush pugs in queue is asinine. Perhaps for the individal pug it may not happen frequently, but that premade team will go on crushing pug team after pug team continuously, negatively affecting perhaps hundreds of players’ experiences and impressions with the game.

Were they the Abjured? It seems to be some of Nos friends, but I don’t recognize any of their names (sometimes top players give names like “Densheeneer”, so that we know who they are). Anyway, congratulations on winning against them. LoL’s player base is larger. This match was good: would you prefer to have premades like theirs matched against my five-man guild team, in which I’m the only dragon rank? But again, in my experience, being matched against a premade when queuing solo doesn’t happen often, and I’m sure you can imagine that a lot of players exaggerate the number of times this happens to them because they don’t want to acknowledge they were outplayed. I think the thread I linked earlier was a good illustration. I’m not Justin though: I can not tell if your sentiment or others’ is ill informed, but I can at least make you aware of some of the bad coping mechanisms of the human mind.

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Every time I’ve gone in during the last few days, I’ve been a solo player in a pug team going up against a full guild team. Sometimes, they’re a less skilled guild team or you happen to have a good pug group and you can actually still have some fun in the battles, but at some point their greater coordination is likely to give them a big edge. Other times… it just really isn’t fun at all.

Admittedly, being Australian and thus often playing on low traffic times doesn’t help (for a number of reasons, last time I was able to play at a high traffic time was the weekend before last). However, it does seem counterproductive to have the PvP101 thing in Points of Interest encouraging people to dip their toes in – but have a system that means that once people start venturing out of practise games they’re just going to get eaten alive by guild teams and have no chance to have fun at all. I know it’s starting to put me off – losses can still be fun, but a game where it’s clear from start to finish that you never stood a chance simply aren’t.

Makes me wonder sometimes what would happen if solo sPvPers got together sometime and agreed to just simply not play if they found they were up against a guild team.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in PvP

Posted by: Encadi.1672

Encadi.1672

They should change it to:

- Solo AND Unranked
- Team AND Ranked

In any case it seems Spvp population is too small, maybe they shoudl stop sponsorign it and focus on other game areas

Let solo people play unranked and team people play ranked and all will be good

(edited by Encadi.1672)

in PvP

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

They should change it to:

- Solo AND Unranked
- Team AND Ranked

Let solo people play unranked and team people play ranked and all will be good

There was a request from the community for a structured queue that could be played with casually. That’s what unranked queue is. If I wanted to play with my friend who’s much worse than I am, I would never take him to ranked strictly premade queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Every time I’ve gone in during the last few days, I’ve been a solo player in a pug team going up against a full guild team. Sometimes, they’re a less skilled guild team or you happen to have a good pug group and you can actually still have some fun in the battles, but at some point their greater coordination is likely to give them a big edge. Other times… it just really isn’t fun at all.

Admittedly, being Australian and thus often playing on low traffic times doesn’t help (for a number of reasons, last time I was able to play at a high traffic time was the weekend before last). However, it does seem counterproductive to have the PvP101 thing in Points of Interest encouraging people to dip their toes in – but have a system that means that once people start venturing out of practise games they’re just going to get eaten alive by guild teams and have no chance to have fun at all. I know it’s starting to put me off – losses can still be fun, but a game where it’s clear from start to finish that you never stood a chance simply aren’t.

Makes me wonder sometimes what would happen if solo sPvPers got together sometime and agreed to just simply not play if they found they were up against a guild team.

I’d say it this point it is mostly about getting warm bodies in the mode to keep queues from getting so bad that people abandon the mode/game

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in PvP

Posted by: triggerhappy.3871

triggerhappy.3871

When we are talking about what should never happen,
it cannot be an excuse that it happens rarely.

PUGs have disadvantages sometimes,
but PUGs have advantages at no time.

It’s not so difficult to know that this is unfair.

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’d say it this point it is mostly about getting warm bodies in the mode to keep queues from getting so bad that people abandon the mode/game

Except that people who can’t play a game without it being a totally unfun one-sided match almost every time are going to leave and there’ll be even less warm bodies.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

I gotta be honest an say when I solo queue the majority of my matches are against solo or duo’s. Try inviting to see if people are in group on the other side. Now I am not saying it can’t be improved but either I am really lucky or other people are very unlucky. It wouldn’t be hard for someone to log there games and how many times they were facing groups or partial groups. I tried doing it one night but after about five straight matches of nothing more then solos or duos on the other side I lost interest.

in PvP

Posted by: scala.1670

scala.1670

removing solo queue was the worst idea. the reason they get a small playerbase in pvp is because they mess with it to much. dont take away features Anet. Just add to them!