Will something be done about Rangers?

in PvP

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

I don’t visit the forums too often, but was just curious.
Are there any changes in balance coming to Rangers?

I don’t want to be THAT guy, but come on.

Don’t give me the git good speech.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i think rangers are okay now. on maps with a lot of cover, they are still bearable. on open fields though. ho ho ho … fun if playing ranger, not fun if being pew-ed pew-ed by them.
(i play ranger sometimes. i like the pew pew thing.)

i think ele and engi may need some adjustments.
(i have a hard time against them sometimes)

maybe warriors could use some buff in some areas. not damage wise.
(i main warrior and the amount of nerfs recently is a bit overboard)

in PvP

Posted by: Lachanche.6859

Lachanche.6859

I don’ t get it, what’s the problem with rangers ?

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

You’re a bit late, the nerf ranger threads stopped ages ago.

Everyone has learned to counter by now.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

MakubeC.3026

Can you counter the pew-pew?
I think they need to lower the DPS a bit, a ranger can take a light-medium player with a single knock back, pew-pew combo. If you add to that the fact that some rangers play hide and seek, getting on hard to climb spots and start snipping everything that moves withing 1,200 with a single combo, that’s not fun. You are dead before you reach them.

Sometimes you get to them and kill them, but they just re-spawn and get on the same spot again (I’m talking to you Temple of the Silent Storm and Kyloh). If there are two rangers doing that, it’s merciless. I’m not talking about an overhaul, but less damage or maybe a higher cooldown on Rapid Fire.

I think a single combo KO should not be taken so lightly, specially since most of the times you can’t see it coming because lol 1200 meters.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Can you counter the pew-pew?
I think they need to lower the DPS a bit, a ranger can take a light-medium player with a single knock back, pew-pew combo. If you add to that the fact that some rangers play hide and seek, getting on hard to climb spots and start snipping everything that moves withing 1,200 with a single combo, that’s not fun. You are dead before you reach them.

Sometimes you get to them and kill them, but they just re-spawn and get on the same spot again (I’m talking to you Temple of the Silent Storm and Kyloh). If there are two rangers doing that, it’s merciless. I’m not talking about an overhaul, but less damage or maybe a higher cooldown on Rapid Fire.

I think a single combo KO should not be taken so lightly, specially since most of the times you can’t see it coming because lol 1200 meters.

can’t counter the pew pew if you can’t see them coming. and if you can’t see them coming, it means they outplayed you. positioning is very important for rangers. if they pew pew from a bad position they can be killed very quickly.

and if they play hide and seek, getting on hard to climb spots, that’s their experience with pew pew rangers paying off.

i met both very good rangers and not so good rangers.

perhaps you had a bad day and met quite a lot of good rangers.

in PvP

Posted by: Shikobro.5319

Shikobro.5319

I don’ t get it, what’s the problem with rangers ?

In my opinion…The fact that whatever they do, other classes do way better

Spirit Ranger – Every 10 seconds, you give 2 seconds of burning and 4(?) seconds of protection, and every 2 minutes a possible res. I mean seesh, cele eele/bunk guard/shout war does aoe support better

Condi – Necros/engi’s do condi spam better, and mostly aoe. Most ranger condi spam is single target

Power – when compared to mesmer or thief bursting, its lack luster, as thief has insane mobility for back capping/+1’ing fights, and mesmer has portal, while lb/gs does nothing extra besides the burst

In my eyes ranger doesnt have anything “extra” to it to give it merit in this meta

I’m Typhos ingame. #YRN

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

@ Shikobro.5319
well, the only “extra” they can give is burst damage from 1200 – 1500 range away, in a secluded area. if they find a good position to camp and snipe away.

in PvP

Posted by: Shikobro.5319

Shikobro.5319

well, the only “extra” they can give is burst damage from 1200 – 1500 range away, in a secluded area. if they find a good position to camp and snipe away.

More like 1800 range lol, but yeah. the only place that even really matters is legacy of the foefire, where you can snipe away at mid while also being close enough to a sidenote incase someone tries to steal it

team utility > pewpew at the end of the day though

I’m Typhos ingame. #YRN

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

More like 1800 range lol, but yeah. the only place that even really matters is legacy of the foefire, where you can snipe away at mid while also being close enough to a sidenote incase someone tries to steal it

team utility > pewpew at the end of the day though

ya ya. i noticed that on higher ground, the range feels a bit longer.

ya ya. on the foefire map they really have some advantage there, snipe mid, and then check home as well. others map, not really so. too tight.

and yeah, team utility > pure pew pew

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Lets move along folks nothing to see here.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Amir.1570

Amir.1570

Absolutely nothing I suppose. But it doesn’t matter where the meta shifts to whichever wins more, Ranger will always be a zero skill tasteless class that’s great for beginners.

in PvP

Posted by: Damsel Delilah.9084

Damsel Delilah.9084

There is a reason no good team runs a ranger, they are underpowered if anything.

Demise – Elementalist/Warrior
We Have No Creativity [FML]- r.i.p. 2013
http://www.twitch.tv/attuneddemise

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

It’s kind of their whole reason for existing.. to dominate in open areas from a distance. If you’re not feeling the pressure from a ranger attacking you at max distance, they would need a buff, thus, feeling the pressure does not warrant a nerf. This is coming from one of the few thieves that went against 90% of the thieves on the Thief forum raging about rapid fire and sic’em being over powered - meaning to say, I’ve argued this point since the patch and have not changed my view in all the matched I’ve since played.

Warrior got the nerfs it needed, ranger got the buffs it needed, now we just need celestial and might stacking comps addressed.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

not sure what this thread is about. condi rangers are fairly weak atm, but will become strong again once cele play gets nerfed.

power rangers of the highest skill are easily countered by a Mesmer or thief of equal skill, but can appear broken in certain comps especially if theyre permitted to free cast.

that being said, power rangers just need a few more tweaks to be competitive at highest skill brackets. currently, they barely fall short.

in PvP

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

Rangers are kittening broken , and people makes this like isnt true because they like to play ranger , but well this game is alrdy kittened soo

in PvP

MakubeC.3026

can’t counter the pew pew if you can’t see them coming. and if you can’t see them coming, it means they outplayed you. positioning is very important for rangers. if they pew pew from a bad position they can be killed very quickly.

and if they play hide and seek, getting on hard to climb spots, that’s their experience with pew pew rangers paying off.

Yes, I know. I know their pew pew currently works like that, but let’s be honest, the damage is outrageous, specially for the cooldown and the distance.

When you can take out 85% of a heavy class HP every 10 seconds from 1200 units away, something’s not right. And what’s the so called counter for this? Roll when Point Blank Shot is coming or die?
Point Blank Shot + Rapid Fire + 1200 range = I don't want to use that word but
needs nerf.

in PvP

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Yes, I know. I know their pew pew currently works like that, but let’s be honest, the damage is outrageous, specially for the cooldown and the distance.

When you can take out 85% of a heavy class HP every 10 seconds from 1200 units away, something’s not right. And what’s the so called counter for this? Roll when Point Blank Shot is coming or die?
Point Blank Shot + Rapid Fire + 1200 range = I don't want to use that word but
needs nerf.

My condi regen ranger can out heal a longbow ranger, same goes for most bunkers. All you have to do is dodge, block, evade or reflect part of their rapid fire. Also most of the points have places where you can LoS ranged attacks.

I enjoy playing longbow in unranked where people are either screwing around or just aren’t as good but I’ve quit using it in ranked.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Rangers are balance or slightly underpowered. The zerker bow is situational. The condi one is strong but not as great a necro anyway.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

There is a reason no good team runs a ranger, they are underpowered if anything.

No good team runs a Ranger because they don’t have anyone who knows how to utilize the class to its fullest. Let alone skillful at playing it either.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Rangers have 2 big weaknesses; Stuns and bursts. Unlike almost all other classes, they got NO reliable (yes, reliable is the key here) way of healing up once being bursted.
Every other class (only one i am not sure about is necro) got a way to HEAL a small chunk without having to resolve to using the healing skill. Rangers got ZERO such options.
While some say “what about Fern Hound F2”, well that is were the reliable part comes in, it is by no means reliable considering F2’s bug out, A LOT.
Eles got on dodge and a weapon skill or two, engies can use medikit/toolbelt which has much much lower CD, thief got Mug/heal on venom use, guard got dodge roll, meditations and virtue, warrior got shouts, mesmer got mantras…..
When “Invigorating Bond” was released, i hoped it would A: scale from rangers stats and B: affect ranger. It does not, instead it is a GM that does not use ranger healing (thus it heals abysmally little, comparable to Sigil of Renewal) and it only affects allies. Meaning your allies gotta be in 360 range of pet, or it wont work and even then it is bad.
Ranger also got NO stunbreaker under 30 seconds (look all you want, the closest you get is “Hide in Plain Sight” which only make you stealth, not break the actual stun). They also got few of them that synergizes with their builds (meaning if you take 2 rather then one, in most cases that actually lowers the effectiveness of that build both defensively and offensively)

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

No good team runs a Ranger because they don’t have anyone who knows how to utilize the class to its fullest. Let alone skillful at playing it either.

It’s been tried, this meta well on NA counter’s Rangers. Until they nerf CeleEle, Ranger won’t be in the meta.

Ranger has allot of useless Traits and Utilities, some of our CD’s are stupidly long and we require heavy investment.

Once CeleEle takes a hit, Ranger will come back into the meta but I think your going to see Spirit Builds again which sucks. Maybe some teams might take LB but only decent skill’s on that weapon is Rapid Fire and Point Blank Shot, Greatsword sucks for damage.

In this meta Ranger feels like a Mesmer requires a Team built around them with the right support. We don’t need the condition remove but we don’t have the escape like other burst builds and what I mean is S/D Thieve’s a good one will run rings around you so unless you have someone in your team comp that is build to peel and handle S/D Thieve’s your going to have same problem Mesmer’s do in fact any burst build.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

I kind of agree, power rangers can do tons of damage and if you don’t have a proff on you’re team that can quickly close the gap and shut them down then they will quickly sway a fight in their teams favor.
So they can be too strong in unorganized play while being easily shut down vs an organized team playing meta proffs, not a good place to be.
No other builds are really good imo, as other posters have pointed out, cond is single target (and wont kill meta builds), spirits die to aoe spam, BM has terrible ai.
Only time I’m on ranger anymore is for trap stealthing in WvWvW and lets face it, even the trap build is only good because of the runes.

(edited by dylan.5409)

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Condi – Necros/engi’s do condi spam better, and mostly aoe. Most ranger condi spam is single target

lolno.

Rangers are leagues better than Necro and engi combined.

They have the power to instantly put 20+ stacks of bleed.

Necros and Engis cannot.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

This kinda’ made me laugh. So we have all these players that routinely compete, win weekly tournaments, and kittenin’ flew to China for a nice chunk of cash that play-test builds, theory craft, spend tons of time practicing, bouncing ideas off of each other, and devoting time to understand the mechanics of this game at levels most will never know…Yet Ranger’s LB 2 skill is too hard to master.

Got it.

in PvP

Posted by: Kneru.8014

Kneru.8014

My only wish is that their damage would stay the same, but the amount of shots from Rapid Fire would be reduced from 10 to say, 7? Given that I am currently fighting someone, and not too focused on finding the Ranger first, or else an enemy thief would kill me, it sucks to dodge Rapid Fire and still be killed by about 7 other shots.

The range, the damage, everything else I can deal with. But the amount of shots fired feels a bit too much. At least allow me to dodge during Rapid Fire to mitigate most of the damage. Not spend both dodges and still pretty much die.

Aside from that, yeah, pretty easy. Kite around a tree and break LoS if you have to. I actually stood behind a tree yesterday in Khylo. Poor Ranger, Rapid Fired all 10 of those arrows right into the tree. Didnt do a single thing to me. :P

in PvP

MakubeC.3026

My only wish is that their damage would stay the same, but the amount of shots from Rapid Fire would be reduced from 10 to say, 7? Given that I am currently fighting someone, and not too focused on finding the Ranger first, or else an enemy thief would kill me, it sucks to dodge Rapid Fire and still be killed by about 7 other shots.

The range, the damage, everything else I can deal with. But the amount of shots fired feels a bit too much. At least allow me to dodge during Rapid Fire to mitigate most of the damage. Not spend both dodges and still pretty much die.

Aside from that, yeah, pretty easy. Kite around a tree and break LoS if you have to. I actually stood behind a tree yesterday in Khylo. Poor Ranger, Rapid Fired all 10 of those arrows right into the tree. Didnt do a single thing to me. :P

I like this approach.

in PvP

Posted by: SYPHA.9283

SYPHA.9283

Rangers have 2 big weaknesses; Stuns and bursts. Unlike almost all other classes, they got NO reliable (yes, reliable is the key here) way of healing up once being bursted.
Every other class (only one i am not sure about is necro) got a way to HEAL a small chunk without having to resolve to using the healing skill. Rangers got ZERO such options.
While some say “what about Fern Hound F2”, well that is were the reliable part comes in, it is by no means reliable considering F2’s bug out, A LOT.
Eles got on dodge and a weapon skill or two, engies can use medikit/toolbelt which has much much lower CD, thief got Mug/heal on venom use, guard got dodge roll, meditations and virtue, warrior got shouts, mesmer got mantras…..
When “Invigorating Bond” was released, i hoped it would A: scale from rangers stats and B: affect ranger. It does not, instead it is a GM that does not use ranger healing (thus it heals abysmally little, comparable to Sigil of Renewal) and it only affects allies. Meaning your allies gotta be in 360 range of pet, or it wont work and even then it is bad.
Ranger also got NO stunbreaker under 30 seconds (look all you want, the closest you get is “Hide in Plain Sight” which only make you stealth, not break the actual stun). They also got few of them that synergizes with their builds (meaning if you take 2 rather then one, in most cases that actually lowers the effectiveness of that build both defensively and offensively)

LOL LOL.

You need to investigate your traits and just your entire set up in general. Rangers have awesome regen if traited correctly.

1 word, settlers. I’ll leave it to you to figure out the entire build. The condi damage is sweet as well as regen.

There are tons of condi/stun/slow removals.

The last few 1v1s ive had, i left the fight with 3/4 or more health and a stomp.

(edited by SYPHA.9283)

in PvP

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

September called. He wants his thread back.

Not cool guys! Not cool!

in PvP

Posted by: REGGADO.1237

REGGADO.1237

Somebody said to dodge ranger lb 3 skill, so did you tried by yourself? By dodging 2times you still get 5 from 10 hits. Plus it has target lock, even going to stealth will still hit all hits to target.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Reggado theres more than one way to stop a rangers burst.

Guardian WOR or SoA or even sanctuary or shield five.

Necro Fear or corrupt boon if there using stability to eat it.

Corrupting a ranger if there using RAO for the stab is pretty much an I win button on its own. Mesmer reflects/invulns.

Thief shadowstepping behind the rangers or stealing on the ranger cancels the skill as long as the ranger is moving. Warrior endure pain + high mobility will have you in his face in moments.

Celestial engineers pretty much counter rangers unless the ranger us using a condi build with a pretty high level of skill.

Dagger Dagger ellies have little to nothing to fear from Power rangers OR condi rangers as long as they stay calm. And Sc/F ellies can burst even faster than rangers can.

And all this isn’t even taking into account LOS. Many classes have mobility skills. Which can be used to dodge ranger bursts on nearly every PvP map in the game. Hell on maps with terrain high differences simply standing almost directly under him will break LOS.

If your having a problem with rapid fire in particular (lb 2 btw not 3) Its either because that ranger has gone ABSOLUTELY all in on that one burst (meaning in order to pull it off hes blow 2-3 cooldowns and 5-6 traits just to make it happen) in which case hell YES it better work….(remember how kittened off thieves are when there steal bugs? It used to be that rapid fire simply wasn’t even worth ATTEMPTING to use much less deal with all the issues involved) OR you need to start using the map more…Longbow ranger is one of the few builds where the ranger is fighting using the terrain as much as the weapon. Not saying that makes it significantly more difficult for them 90% of the time. But it makes things akward when there fighting people that know how to use that to there advantage.

Ghost Yak

in PvP

Posted by: Wintersnight.3061

Wintersnight.3061

I play Ranger – and at lower lvls…it pew pews. But at upper level soloq – it’s not in a good state. It needs help.
They are very easy to shut down. Skilled players in soloq can shut them down fast. Power Rangers can carry in lower level – but in upper levels, they often times need to be carried. Their positioning has to be near perfect and has little room for error in upper level Soloq. They can never turn a fight around like an Engie or Ele or even a Turret.

Cindy Lou Who, Retired Ranger
Quinn Wintersnight, Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I play Ranger – and at lower lvls…it pew pews. But at upper level soloq – it’s not in a good state. It needs help.
They are very easy to shut down. Skilled players in soloq can shut them down fast. Power Rangers can carry in lower level – but in upper levels, they often times need to be carried. Their positioning has to be near perfect and has little room for error in upper level Soloq. They can never turn a fight around like an Engie or Ele or even a Turret.

I still use the longbow on my ranger but I stopped running the glass setup recently. I use it now more as a long term weapon instead of that quick spike. Mostly because of how easy it is for things to go bad when your a glassbow. And when they do go bad its usually completely and VERY quickly.

Ghost Yak