Worth it to get back into PvP?

in PvP

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

I haven’t played this game since the Halloween update, when PvP was at its lowest point ever in player population and saltiness. I’ve seen some auspicious things in forum posts and update notes (no more trap dazing, ele is kind of useful again, 2 man max ranked queue, new matchmaking / pip system).

But I’m also reading that guardian is still the most prevalent class, which is a sign not much has changed since October (I don’t mind guardian damage as much as dazing and pull, is that at least fixed?)

Is PvP as good as pre-HoT or any better at all? I’m an ele main who usually floated around in ruby soloq

(edited by Alex Shatter.7956)

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Is PvP as good as pre-HoT or any better at all? I’m an ele main who usually floated around in ruby soloq

Yes, I believe things are much better now.

1. Making this season solo/duo queue levels the playing field a lot, and making ranked PvP Conquest-only was a very important change to preserve the “prestige” of higher ranks and streamline the game type.

2. The meta is also quite balanced in that no class feels egregiously overpowered. Elementalist, guardian, and warrior come off a bit strong, and build diversity might be somewhat limited, but every class is actually competitive.

3. The content is rewarding to both casual and hardcore players now that they’ve separated pips from progression and produced an in-game leaderboard (with titles). You can make tons of gold spamming games even in Bronze, making PvP worth doing regardless of your skill level. This has helped a lot to solve the population problems historically prevalent to the game type, as it gives everyone something to play for.

4. The decay system prevents players from grinding out their games and “finishing” the season weeks/months early once they obtain the badge/rating they want. This keeps everyone playing throughout the entirety of the season.

I won’t say that this season is necessarily perfect, however. They need to re-adjust the way placement matches work so that players aren’t landing in Platinum 3 and Legendary with only 10 games played, and they should include some kind of win streak (and lose streak) bonus so that players can more easily push out (and fall out) of divisions they don’t really belong in.

But to more directly answer your question: PvP is absolutely in a better state than it’s been in for a long time. I don’t think I’ve had this much fun PvPing since before the Celestial amulet was added back in 2013.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

save all the headache and dont pvp these season. but its all up to you. MM is garbage atm.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Spoichiche.1290

Spoichiche.1290

Can’t say wether it’s worth it or not since i don’t know your own motivation to play, but here’s a little tl;dr of the season compared to the others :

Skill based rating system where you clearly see your own mmr.
Divisions actually mean something, you can drop out of divisions, rewards are no longer tied to your division so there’s no qq about bronze tier player unable to reach some of the rewards.
There is a top 250 where you get exclusive titles at the end of the season so the most hardcore of us can get a little extra. Na leaderboard is very messed up because of some players doing stupid crap, eu leaderboard is fine.
I don’t think there is any real data on playerbase, but from the queue time and the twitch viewership on pvp stream who exploded, i guess it increased quite a bit.
Balance is healthier than ever since Hot lauched, with every single classes having something worth bringing to the table.
There’s a lot of qq on the matchmaking and players complaining about having horrible team mates but the matchmaking is currently the fairest we had in gw2 since solo/teamq days.

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

No, OP. Don’t even bother with this nonsense.

Without a full team queue and full solo queue, matchmaking will always suffer. As long as you have duos and premades of any kind, you can manipulate the matchmaking system to get to the top. Nothing substantial has changed since seasons 1-4.

Don’t listen to the forum spin. PvP is sinking.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Not really worth it unless you find it fun to be dragged down by other players.

The only reason right now I play is for xmute stones… even in Plat one of my games had a support ele go solo beast so I give up why bother

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Yes its pretty fun.

Finally there is some in game competition. How long will it last? Dunno, anet love removing things.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Vykoz.7803

Vykoz.7803

Well for once theres lots of positive comments on the forum, normally theres only hate, so that alone speaks volumes for itself.

I came back to GW2 for this season and a lot of my friend list also came back for specificly this season, cause this season doesnt have the lame league system of before where you could get to the top no matter how bad you were.

I find it fun, most of my friends find it fun, theres lots of positive remarks on the forum, i think gw2 pvp has not been in a better spot for a long time, atleast since HoT was released.

in PvP

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

If you wanna get heaps of gold and a lifetime supply of transmutations, play ranked.

Also try to not compete for the top 250. It isn’t worth it. I tried doing that, and failed. I mean, there IS still a month left, but I’m almost down to Gold 1 (used to be at 1800 rating) after an atrocious 10 loss streak. If it keeps up I’ll hit bronze or silver.

(edited by Abelisk.4527)

in PvP

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

If you wanna get heaps of gold and a lifetime supply of transmutations, play ranked.

Also try to not compete for the top 250. It isn’t worth it. I tried doing that, and failed. I mean, there IS still a month left, but I’m almost down to Gold 1 (used to be at 1800 rating) after an atrocious 10 loss streak. If it keeps up I’ll hit bronze or silver.

The best I’ve got was top 1000.. and that was pre season :s

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I say it´s worth. But play your placement with the best person you can get. It´s impact is so huge that you will regret if bad luck throws you in bronze or even silver is hard to get four at least average teammates.