Wow That Prize Pool from $50K to $400K

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

Incentives are getting serious. That’s a VERY generous prize pool considering how small the population is ATM. I do hope it attracts more people into pvp.

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Incentives are getting serious. That’s a VERY generous prize pool considering how small the population is ATM. I do hope it attracts more people into pvp.

I’d rather them use that 400k to get someone to fix all the bugs and exploits, I just love invisible AoE fields, weapon stowing abuse and in Spirit Watch the blue side has the advantage.

I think this has been the 2nd time they had to fix Runes of Vampirism?

ArenaNet get your priorities straight. Guild Wars 2 can be a great Esport, but right now is a joke of an Esport.

(edited by Nova Stiker.8396)

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Attachments:

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Well somebody stumbled into some HoT prepurchase money, didn’t they?

Edit: I wonder if this will bring in some pro gamers from FPS or etc. We may all start losing a lot more than we’re used to!

in PvP

abc.5790

The prize pool is prolly not going to the majority soloQers like me.

But it is a LOT of money because whomever makes it to the top will have an easier road from having little competition unlike other games.

If it attracts more participants, maybe they will get pressured to fix bugs sooner. That’s what I’m hoping at least.

From how things are right now, that money is low hanging fruit and ready to be picked for certain teams.

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

WE ARE ESPARTS GUIZE!!!

I hope it works out, more money → more teams -> more pvpers -> shorter queue times and hopefully more frequent balance patches.

in PvP

Posted by: Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713

Vatlaaw Fierceshot.5713

I’d rather them use that 400k to get someone to fix all the bugs and exploits, I just love invisible AoE fields, weapon stowing abuse and in Spirit Watch the blue side has the advantage.

ArenaNet get your priorities straight. Guild Wars 2 can be a great Esport, but right now is a joke of an Esport.

Spit your venom elsewhere. This is a great thing for Guild Wars 2.

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

I’m know the 400 Esport gw2 twitch viewers agree’s with you. Now back to Blade&Soul.. XD

in PvP

Fluffball.8307

But it is a LOT of money because whomever makes it to the top will have an easier road from having little competition unlike other games.

If it does attract pro gamers, they’ll get up to snuff in no time at all. Once you learn the profession abilities and communication/rotation, high level PvP is more about innate, unteachable abilities than experience.

For example ROM can chug a bottle of rum, be talking to viewers, and still dodge skills out of the corner of his eyes that I never even saw. I simply don’t have the reaction time to do what he does and have to get by purely on me having played a lot. And that hard caps me to a certain level of play. I know when a ranger is probably going to use PBS and be ready to dodge it, but I can’t just be doing something else and miraculously dodge the KB if I’m not waiting for it.

in PvP

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

This is amazing
I hope this attracts more PvP’ers to GW2.
Together with the F2P and frequent balance updates this could turn out well.

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

in PvP

abc.5790

If it does attract pro gamers, they’ll get up to snuff in no time at all. Once you learn the profession abilities and communication/rotation, high level PvP is more about innate, unteachable abilities than experience.

For example ROM can chug a bottle of rum, be talking to viewers, and still dodge skills out of the corner of his eyes that I never even saw. I simply don’t have the reaction time to do what he does and have to get by purely on me having played a lot. And that hard caps me to a certain level of play. I know when a ranger is probably going to use PBS and be ready to dodge it, but I can’t just be doing something else and miraculously dodge the KB if I’m not waiting for it.

I’m not doubting ROM the Viking’s skill. He’s amazing!

What I meant was there are only what…..maybe 40-50 active teams total atm. And in that group, the final 4 teams are predictable. So it’s low hanging fruit. But maybe things will spice up when expac hits but I doubt the new participants will catch up to ROM’s super skills. Even if it does attract the hardcore pro gamers, they would still be stuck in a learning curve. That’s why I think the first year will be the least competitive/easiest prize to bag.

Edit: And that’s a good thing. I want the prize pool to end up with one of teams we follow and admire who’s been with us since launch and not yet some outsider pro team

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

(edited by abc.5790)

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

No, it’s really not. Guild Wars 2 is simply not ready for Esports, trying to make it so is a complete waste of resources.

League of Legends was the most played game of all time, THEN it became an Esport. A sport is something the community supports, right now Guild Wars 2 PvP does not have the community or support it needs.

If ArenaNet really wants to make Guild Wars 2 an Esport, start fixing all the bugs and minor exploits.

in PvP

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

If ArenaNet really wants to make Guild Wars 2 an Esport, start fixing all the bugs and minor exploits.

And then get to doing some actual balance. It’s been a joke and watching a 4 Ele team win demonstrated that.

in PvP

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

No, it’s really not. Guild Wars 2 is simply not ready for Esports, trying to make it so is a complete waste of resources.

League of Legends was the most played game of all time, THEN it became an Esport. A sport is something the community supports, right now Guild Wars 2 PvP does not have the community or support it needs.

Arena net are big kids if they want to waste their money as you claim, it is their money. Also at this stage complaining about it isn’t going to change a thing. Just to add, 400,000 isn’t that much money to hire someone long term.

(edited by PlatinumMember.5274)

in PvP

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

— and hopefully more frequent balance patches.

They already wrote it’s going to be a balance patch after every League season (7 weeks), “As such, prior to each season, there will be a balance update.”, at which point they allow a period for the meta to settle, “League play will generally begin about two weeks after a balance update to ensure that the metagame has stabilized in an appropriate manner.”—so expect to wait roughly two months between each, which is relatively frequent overall. I wonder if they will hotfix glaring “exploits” and/or problematic balance discoveries or not though, if it’s mid-season, or if they’ll allow it to exist as it has established itself in a meta for that period. The part about “Balance will be closely monitored throughout the season with the goal of having solid balance going into the postseason tournaments.” doesn’t really say that, beyond that they will monitor it.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in PvP

Fluffball.8307

Even if it does attract the hardcore pro gamers, they would still be stuck in a learning curve.

Ya I hear you, I just don’t think the learning curve is more than like 3 weeks for someone who games for a living.

Some of the FPS guys have skills that are quite literally unbelievable to me. I see their streams and just don’t understand how it’s humanly possible. I saw one guy who was entertaining himself by tracking down and killing an aimbotter. The pro gamer and the guy using the insta-kill aimbot program were on the same level.

If they can spend 1 night learning each of the profession’s abilities, boom, they’re ready to play.

in PvP

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

now rom will have not 500 but 5000 people watching him getting drunk and screaming on random people
COME ON BOIZZZZ!

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

now rom will have not 500 but 5000 people watching him getting drunk and screaming on random people
COME ON BOIZZZZ!

For those who want to witness ROM sorta drunk. Funny as fuq.

https://youtu.be/5AQ1bIHi_Ro

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Congrats Abjured!

Also, good to see the lower age restrictions and open country sign-ups. I sure hope that it brings some new players.

in PvP

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

Anyone else bothered by the fact they still haven’t added solo queues, yet they keep doing this sort of stuff?

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

in PvP

cakeonroof.7385

Anyone else bothered by the fact they still haven’t added solo queues, yet they keep doing this sort of stuff?

At least we are going to have dishonor back. But yeah, they seem to be taking baby steps to give us something we already had

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

Maybe the numbers indicate that premade are not as big of a problem, as the small sample size on the forums seem to indicate?

Maybe you are right, but there is no reason to assume so YET. Not to say I wouldn’t mind a soloQ either but I doubt they will do it.

in PvP

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

Maybe the numbers indicate that premade are not as big of a problem, as the small sample size on the forums seem to indicate?

Maybe you are right, but there is no reason to assume so YET. Not to say I wouldn’t mind a soloQ either but I doubt they will do it.

It will become a much bigger problem once premades start farming pugs in the new league system. RIP all solo queuers.

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

ITT: Anet trying to buy popularity in the esports scene.

Baer

in PvP

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

It just bugs me that ArenaNet wants a competitive scene but doesn’t built any mechanics around fostering said scene.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

in PvP

Posted by: supvil.3470

supvil.3470

This reminds me of my ex gf. I ended up giving her more and more money. While she appreciated it, it didnt really improve our relationship and we ended up breaking up.

They shouldve used a big part of that price pool to hire devs and promoters that have experience creating/building an esport scene.

in PvP

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

The community itself would make gw2 into an e-sport… not throwing 400k over 2 season….

Theres a reason why barely 10k viewers watched the WTS finals……

its not fun to watch… like AT ALL. no idea whats going on thanks to particle effects and fighting all over the place…casters can only do so much…thats even if you are hardcore pvper… general population of gw2 players will have no clue…

I love to play gw2 pvp, but as a spectator – no thanks, its not fun to watch (unless its a major tourney/finals)

in PvP

Fluffball.8307

This reminds me of my ex gf. I ended up giving her more and more money. While she appreciated it, it didnt really improve our relationship and we ended up breaking up.

Why were you giving your girlfriend money???

in PvP

Posted by: Stilgar.6437

Stilgar.6437

wow, thats quite a prize pool. liking this a lot. i mean i wont get any of it but its good for the game. shows commitment to pvp, surely they will work on balance more in the near future. GW2 has brilliant pvp (in general), but balance is a huge problem (evidenced by these long dark meta^2 ele days). Hopefully they expand the balance team and do better work after HoT release.

Great news, good luck to Anet in this venture and good luck to everyone competing.

in PvP

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

Why were you giving your girlfriend money???

i guess it was “night butterfly”

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in PvP

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

IMHO, this is wasted money.

- Pvp in this game is still a major clusterkitten
- Viewers have no bloody idea what’s going on (non-vets)
- Only one game mode (stronghold is for casuals)
- Game is not balanced well
- Bug fixes that need to be done

… etc.

Them priorities ArenaNet… Them priorities.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

IMHO, this is wasted money.

- Pvp in this game is still a major clusterkitten
- Viewers have no bloody idea what’s going on (non-vets)
- Only one game mode (stronghold is for casuals)
- Game is not balanced well
- Bug fixes that need to be done

… etc.

Them priorities ArenaNet… Them priorities.

They went from $10k to $150k to $400k. There’s probably a reason why.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Thanks. For wasting more on some failed E-Sport dream than has been spent on wvw during it’s 3 years of existence. Wonder how many devs could have been paid with that cash.

GW2 streamers just aren’t fun to watch. The screaming child commentary on the last tourny made it sound they they were all force fed speed and other drugs then let loose with a microphone.

Of course it will attract some professional gamers from other games (look! money! small numbers playing!), but it will really be declared a success when we’re all forced into spvp by the new precursor grind releasing with HoT.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in PvP

abc.5790

Thanks. For wasting more on some failed E-Sport dream than has been spent on wvw during it’s 3 years of existence. Wonder how many devs could have been paid with that cash.

GW2 streamers just aren’t fun to watch. The screaming child commentary on the last tourny made it sound they they were all force fed speed and other drugs then let loose with a microphone.

Of course it will attract some professional gamers from other games (look! money! small numbers playing!), but it will really be declared a success when we’re all forced into spvp by the new precursor grind releasing with HoT.

That’s hilarious and also true in some ways. But I try to see this from a positive perspective and how it might affect us even if we don’t get anything from the prize pool

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Nova Stiker.8396

Does anyone here actually want the world tournament? I’m upset because GW2 is not Esport ready and the money can be used to improve the massive list of PvP’s problems. We’ve talked about the problems over and over and over here on the forums but it’s like ArenaNet pretends that what we say, doesn’t exist :\

Seriously though, where is the crowd of PvPers that begged for this? This tournament is meant for the community, right?

in PvP

abc.5790

They shouldve used a big part of that price pool to hire devs and promoters that have experience creating/building an esport scene.

It’s ok to buy her gifts, nice gifts if she’s sweet, thoughtful. Even if she’s a stunner/arm candy, giving her money would set the tone in the relationship incorrectly. Giving her money is fine if she ends up being your trophy wife.

But who am I to spew out relationship advice. I know the heart is the most stubborn and irrational when it falls.

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

ROM didn’t learn that in a week. He didn’t even learn that in a month! Don’t underestimate the learning curve this game has. Pro players from other games will try it, realize it’s either too hard or “not their cup of tea” and go back to what they know best.

There are a lot of players who’ve played for months and still haven’t gotten the jist of proper map awareness, and/or they’re simply not skilled with their class like other players are with theirs. The skill cap is definitely there.

This is what I fear the most. I would have doubled the prize pool, not quadruple it.

But hey, for better or for worse, it definitely wants me to create a team and compete just to compete. I got nothing to lose and i’m definitely confident enough to do so.

I hope GW2 gets bigger with the increased prize pool.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

abc.5790

Does anyone here actually want the world tournament? I’m upset because GW2 is not Esport ready and the money can be used to improve the massive list of PvP’s problems. We’ve talked about the problems over and over and over here on the forums but it’s like ArenaNet pretends that what we say, doesn’t exist :\

Seriously though, where is the crowd of PvPers that begged for this? This tournament is meant for the community, right?

They’ve already made up their decision so all we can do is hope for the best.

If they address the concerns of the community and created incentives around it, I’m certain they will get more organic participants – meaning growth in active, loyal user base. But they want to take shortcuts and turn this into esports fast.

What if they reserved a tiny amount of that prize pool for an official anet solo queue tourney. If your pug team wins, everyone advances. I know something like that will have many flaws but at least it’s making an attempt to make sure everyone get a chance at winning.

Not having a separate solo queue is unhealthy. I’ve beaten many premades but in principle, it’s just not a sound practice to have solo queued people feed teams.

Wow this queue is long…..

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

(edited by abc.5790)

in PvP

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

spending 400k when the videos get under 10k views on the GW2 youtube channel..

Makes sense.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Congratulations to the Abjured on their raise!

Premades aren’t a problem except for the best groups, and they only represent a problem b/c there aren’t enough OTHER premades to match them against. If you are one of the top teams and queue together, you get put up against some combination of the 5 best pugs queuing and available at the time the match is made. That PUG stands no chance.

Lesser pre-mades are put up against a group of 5 solo players who are, in general, better than the members of the pre-made on an individual basis. This occurs because of the “bump” a group gets when queueing together. Match-making is actually pretty good about estimating the value of a team in many circumstances and giving individual players a “handicap” by bumping the net MMR of their team in comparison.

With more teams queuing, hopefully, the problem of TOP teams will go away, b/c there will be other teams for them to run into.

in PvP

cakeonroof.7385

There is data that’s unknown to us. I remember Colin say that there are more participants now that ever (duh F2P scrubz)

There’s been improvements in WTS finals viewers though. The first one in China was a disaster so it doesn’t count. The Boston wts had around 4-5K and most recent one in Germany had 7K+

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

cakeonroof.7385

PSHHHH why’d you give her money?

She should give YOU money for being w/ her instead of other girls queuing up to be with you. Never show weakness to women if you don’t want to be controlled.

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Tis a lot of money for flogging a dead horse.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in PvP

Posted by: trytonianYeti.4389

trytonianYeti.4389

I know people that make that in 2 months

in PvP

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

First, as this is a partnership with ESL, I doubt all 400k is anet’s money.

Second, this partnership sets a precedent that arenanet can’t ignore balance any longer. They want to compete in the big esports market, and thus they can’t let balance languish like they have in the past.

In order to maintain this partnership, they’ve got to adhere to a certain standard of upkeep to make the game continually relevant, and not only that, since every ranked guild team is now, effectively, competing in to pro league to one degree or another they can’t ignore competitive player feedback as if a “competitive” team remains so by exploiting some strange balancing loophole, they’re stuck with that loophole on full display to the public for an entire season.

The down side is, of course, that even though it guarantees a balance update cadence, it severely hampers their ability to make minor adjustments mid season. Unless they become far more willing to do PvE/PvP slits this could potentially be harmful for PvE balance mid-season.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in PvP

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Makes sense.

Yeah, it seemed odd to me, too, since the whole thing doesn’t seem to be all that widely followed from a fan base perspective.

in PvP

Posted by: trytonianYeti.4389

trytonianYeti.4389

First, as this is a partnership with ESL, I doubt all 400k is anet’s money.

Second, this partnership sets a precedent that arenanet can’t ignore balance any longer. They want to compete in the big esports market, and thus they can’t let balance languish like they have in the past.

In order to maintain this partnership, they’ve got to adhere to a certain standard of upkeep to make the game continually relevant, and not only that, since every ranked guild team is now, effectively, competing in to pro league to one degree or another they can’t ignore competitive player feedback as if a “competitive” team remains so by exploiting some strange balancing loophole, they’re stuck with that loophole on full display to the public for an entire season.

The down side is, of course, that even though it guarantees a balance update cadence, it severely hampers their ability to make minor adjustments mid season. Unless they become far more willing to do PvE/PvP slits this could potentially be harmful for PvE balance mid-season.

OMG its da pope. ty for visiting amerykah nxt time visit west coast. lots of people from countries south of usa that migrated here are catholix.

in PvP

Posted by: Good Tofu.9376

Good Tofu.9376

In the northwest / bay area, 400k will get you 2 to 3 devs for one year. Honestly not going to make a huge difference now that all of the game’s backend has really been established.

This is probably more of a marketing investment than anything else. Valve started off by pumping millions of its own cash into DotA 2, and entirely funding the prize pools themselves. And this was for a purely free game.

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Makes sense.

Yeah, it seemed odd to me, too, since the whole thing doesn’t seem to be all that widely followed from a fan base perspective.

Its a loss leader

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Good Tofu.9376

Good Tofu.9376

Also, please keep in mind that DotA only had a few thousand players when it first started….even towards the end of DotA 1.

DotA2 started with a few thousand as well…and when Valve pumped 1 million of its own money into the International 1’s prize pool, it wasn’t nearly as popular as it is today.

Now, prize pools of 15-20 million are being completely funded by the community and Valve is rolling in the dough. DotA is also a F2P game….Valve makes most of its money off of cosmetics being sold within the game.