Year of Ascension (Problem)

in PvP

Posted by: Ruinaes.9571

Ruinaes.9571

I’ll start off by saying that I’ve played GW2 since day one as well as GW1. I think the game is great and while mostly a PvE player, I’ve really gotten into PvP and enjoyed it with the addition of the PvP Season and Ascension.

With that said, the achievements for crossing division tiers is horrible. I say this only because it works unlike any other Year of Ascension achievement. All others work on mechanics that can be achieved by anyone. Even lesser skilled players can attain them if they play enough. Even without being a top-tier player, you can make progress by dedicating your time in the mists.

The requirement to cross division thresholds (and more importantly crossing enough of them to reach and complete Part IV) depends not on you. It depends on 20% you and 80% others (your party). This seems like an inconsistency to me that mkaes this much more difficult to attain.

Thoughts anyone?

in PvP

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

across the 4 seasons you only need to reach ruby twice and saphire twice, all of which can be grinded enough by any skill level as you cant drop down tiers and will eventually make it there if willing to put in the time….

in PvP

Ruinaes.9571

I don’t know about that though. Enemy teams are matched by pips while your own team is matched by MMR. So if you get in a losing streak it is possible to continually get worse team mates but not worse enemy teams in matchmaking.

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

why do you think everyone deserves to have the wings?

tbh, the fact that people can get the “legendary” wings reward without ever sniffing legendary division is already pretty counter intuitive.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Cause anet actually said so.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

tbh, the fact that people can get the “legendary” wings reward without ever sniffing legendary division is already pretty counter intuitive.

To be fair, he doesnt think everyone deserves to have the wings. Only those people who put in the time/effort to get the achievements, and of those achievements he’s taking exception with the formalities of one.

in PvP

Posted by: foogison.5067

foogison.5067

PVP rewards have ALWAYS been super exclusive to top tier PVPers, and The Ascension is already imo way too easy to get.

Before there was the Ascension there was Legendary mist walker armor, and i don’t think anyone ever even found out how to make it before they removed it from the game!
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/crafting/Legendary-Mist-Walker-Armor

The llama mini used to be exclusive to top tier ladder players before it was handed out to anyone via the new tickets.

But nobody ever complained about those things, and do you know why? PVEers didn’t care, and just because some shiny new set of wings come around that are only available in PVP all of a sudden, the PVE kids are mad.

If you want the ascension, play pvp, and earn it. Because that’s what we’re all trying to do, we don’t necessarily want it for just the skin, we want to feel the prestige of showing it off. And that little bit goes away pretty quickly when all the PVE kids are running around wearing the 1 valuable reward that’s exclusive to PVP.

in PvP

Posted by: godsie.2864

godsie.2864

PVP rewards have ALWAYS been super exclusive to top tier PVPers, and The Ascension is already imo way too easy to get.

Before there was the Ascension there was Legendary mist walker armor, and i don’t think anyone ever even found out how to make it before they removed it from the game!
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/crafting/Legendary-Mist-Walker-Armor

The llama mini used to be exclusive to top tier ladder players before it was handed out to anyone via the new tickets.

But nobody ever complained about those things, and do you know why? PVEers didn’t care, and just because some shiny new set of wings come around that are only available in PVP all of a sudden, the PVE kids are mad.

If you want the ascension, play pvp, and earn it. Because that’s what we’re all trying to do, we don’t necessarily want it for just the skin, we want to feel the prestige of showing it off. And that little bit goes away pretty quickly when all the PVE kids are running around wearing the 1 valuable reward that’s exclusive to PVP.

don’t worry there will be other ways to get the ascension even after season 4 has finished – most people will get it and it wont be exclusive and as it stands its the only legendary backpiece obtainable in the game pvp or pve

in PvP

Ruinaes.9571

To be clear, I did not say everyone deserves the wings. It takes a lot of time and dedication to reach the wings. What I said, was that I think it’s wrong that a portion of the wings relies more on other people than yourself.

Wings = Perseverence, dedication, skill and RNG matchmaking luck.

in PvP

Ruinaes.9571

I agree entirely. However, lets take 10 matches lost by player X. He could be a top player with excellent KDR and objectives, but because the other 4 people are match made by lower MMR scores, you lose. There is nothing player X could possibly be doing better but he cannot carry 4 people so no pips. That’s inherently flawed.

in PvP

godsie.2864

except that the ascension is not a PVP only reward – it can also be used in PVE and is currently the only available legendary backpeice with switchable stats would not mind if it was ONLY able to used in pvp but its not

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

The requirement to cross division thresholds (and more importantly crossing enough of them to reach and complete Part IV) depends not on you. It depends on 20% you and 80% others (your party). This seems like an inconsistency to me that mkaes this much more difficult to attain.

That is also true of every dungeon or fractal achievement, and I don’t see why that is a problem. Conquest is considered group content, so if you are not pleased with the pugs you are getting, get some friends to play with you. Or hope for good pugs, or carry. Exactly the same three possibilities you have when you do a dungeon or a fractal.

in PvP

Posted by: MoVitae.2417

MoVitae.2417

I’m sure that Anet will make the backpiece obtainable some other way in the future. Here’s why. The problem is the sub par matchmaking algorithms used up to now, which do not capture the effective level of players. As matters stand, players of all skill levels are scattered across all divisions (excluding Amber) and are pinned there unless they resort to meta-tactics to circumvent the adverse effect of matchmaking. This must be addressed at some point but in any case there will be another chance to get the backpiece.

in PvP

Ruinaes.9571

That is also true of every dungeon or fractal achievement, and I don’t see why that is a problem. Conquest is considered group content, so if you are not pleased with the pugs you are getting, get some friends to play with you. Or hope for good pugs, or carry. Exactly the same three possibilities you have when you do a dungeon or a fractal.

Yes, you are correct, but Dungeons do not have a time requirement. The Wings require completion of these achievements in 2016.

in PvP

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

across the 4 seasons you only need to reach ruby twice and saphire twice, all of which can be grinded enough by any skill level as you cant drop down tiers and will eventually make it there if willing to put in the time….

I am not sure the 2x Ruby & 2x Sapphire is the sweet spot. Currently, we are getting close to half time and the “cross tier” achievement is the one thing that is holding me up in my personal progression (I went to Sapphire in season one and I am now in Ruby). I am feeling, like it would be better to need one total tier less to get the final wings – but we still have two seasons to go.
The “pro PvP player” can be identified by having the best wings NOW, which IMO should be reward enough. Allowing a lot more “casual” PvP players (or PvX players that divide their game time between more modes) to have the wings by the end of the year should be the way to go for a reward structure.

PvP players that complain about “scrubs” having access to shiny cosmetics should also consider that PvE players can actually use RL money to buy them (so no skill or dedication involved) and WvW players have pretty much nothing to show of their devotion to the game mode.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

All others work on mechanics that can be achieved by anyone. Even lesser skilled players can attain them if they play enough. Even without being a top-tier player, you can make progress by dedicating your time in the mists.

The requirement to cross division thresholds depends not on you. It depends on 20% you and 80% others (your party). This seems like an inconsistency to me that makes this much more difficult to attain.

Thoughts anyone?

I think that’s the point of the matter. If it’s too hard to achieve then players wouldn’t bother trying to achieve it. Cater to the minority.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

godsie.2864

I’m sure that Anet will make the backpiece obtainable some other way in the future. Here’s why. The problem is the sub par matchmaking algorithms used up to now, which do not capture the effective level of players. As matters stand, players of all skill levels are scattered across all divisions (excluding Amber) and are pinned there unless they resort to meta-tactics to circumvent the adverse effect of matchmaking. This must be addressed at some point but in any case there will be another chance to get the backpiece.

they have already confirmed this on a previous post on the forums
there will be a way to obtain the backpiece after the whole season is finished not sure how but everyone will be able to get it eventually

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Stopped-dead-on-Wings/page/2#post6075029