Year of the Ascension Achievements

in PvP

Posted by: Ben Phongluangtham

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Hey folks,

We’ve seen a few questions about this, so I wanted to let everyone know. We will not be turning off the Year of the Ascension achievements. It will still be possible to work towards the Ascension backpack/glider in Season 6 and beyond.

Thanks!
Ben

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

And I rushed for nothing. Silly me :P

NSPride <3

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Cool. So no new achievements needed, Just finish what is there even if it takes another season.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Starbreaker.6507

Starbreaker.6507

Nice job on turning it into the participation trophy of GW2.

Not that it was much of a prestigious award to begin with.

in PvP

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

When it was possible to grind your way to Legendary using the old Pips division system to begin with?

Yeah, it was never prestigious.

in PvP

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

Hey folks,

We’ve seen a few questions about this, so I wanted to let everyone know. We will not be turning off the Year of the Ascension achievements. It will still be possible to work towards the Ascension backpack/glider in Season 6 and beyond.

Thanks!
Ben

Can you clarify whether this means there will not be a second backpack any time soon?

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This is delightful news. I haven’t gotten to it on my other account yet.

Not that it’s a huge deal, we knew it would still be obtainable even after the initial set of seasons. It was something that was stated many times.

Im guessing since they aren’t changing things up yet they either a) haven’t come up with an alternative acquisition path (although, ascended shards of glory by the boat load may be an option there) or b) they haven’t come up with a new one yet, or it isn’t done. Maybe it’s a bit of both.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in PvP

Posted by: HGLatinBoy.9174

HGLatinBoy.9174

Thank you so much! I just wish you guys would’ve let us know at the end of Season 4

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Good to know, thanks for not removing achievements

in PvP

Posted by: Brent.4560

Brent.4560

Awesome thanks for the update, and keeping it available. When I started going for it I was worried I wouldn’t be able to finish it.

in PvP

Posted by: chibi.2537

chibi.2537

Nice to know that, I’m almost finished with the achievements but nice to know if something unforseen happens that I can finish it later.

in PvP

Posted by: nightdecay.4692

nightdecay.4692

OMG yes!! I was gonna be disappointed cause I’m 8 wins from season 4 and I don’t like grinding in PvP so this is wonderful news!

in PvP

Posted by: vove.2768

vove.2768

Hey folks,

Thanks!
Ben

Are you serious? So many issues at the moment and the one you decided to address is some backpack/glider no one cares/asked about? This is so sad.

in PvP

Posted by: FrozenFlame.5163

FrozenFlame.5163

Pathetic. Whatever it was worth having that backpiece is gone now. Its worth absolutely nothing. Rename the achievement next time you pull this kitten.

in PvP

Posted by: Zephyria.6103

Zephyria.6103

This is a good decision …but really…only if they add a new reward that’s same value and desirability every year.

There’d be a ‘Year of *’ vendor added every year, with their own rewards roster.

This way, spending the tickets stays a major decision, according to which reward you want to work towards. Which would spread out the tickets being spent as well.

these vendors could be displayed similar to the BLTC vaults?

in PvP

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Hey folks,

Thanks!
Ben

Cool. Though what do you mean by “beyond”? Like it’s possible to finish even while not during a pvp season, or just can be finish in future seasons?

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

in PvP

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

What about nothing of the year ever no existing never ever ascension achievement for WvW. Will that also continue?

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in PvP

Posted by: daLira.6078

daLira.6078

Just why is it called Year of the Ascension then?

First it was said that you can still get the backpack when the year is over, it will just increase in price… okay.

Then titles of season 3 get messed up, so dia players get it. Doesn’t get fixed.

New titles for top 250 (okayish), but none for Legendary in S5, while year of the ascension stays past 1 year.
(Old top 100 titles are gone, as also s1/2/3, they hold their prestige… if it’s any for the sole grind it was able to get.)

Now it stays forever. I’d guess there will be no new backpack either in this case?

Was the goldsink already enough for the PvPbase, so it’s not needed anymore?
Ascended item rewards make that much sense for this gamemode.

Ranting, but it just feels so gimmickry when everything get’s watered down, or just plainly removed as amulets, the old orbs, runes, modes.
There is just so little love for it…

in PvP

Posted by: Sledge Stone.9017

Sledge Stone.9017

Thank you for leaving the achievements on for the foreseeable future. This is the most fun in PVP that I’ve had in over a year. I’m not great at PVP and I doubt I’ll ever leave bronze, but its incredibly fun this season. Season 1 was a disaster for me as I was farmed the entire time I was in amber by ruby and diamond players abusing the team queue system. I eventually made it into Sapphire but felt like I wasted so much time with 15 minute queues. Then 10 matches into season two and I quit. I haven’t touched pvp again until 2 weeks ago and its like a completely new experience for me. I still have some blow out matches for or against my team, but I’m averaging about a 50/50 win loss and only 1-2 minute queues. Much more enjoyable. Being able to finish up the ascension will be a great goal for me to go for into the next season.

in PvP

Posted by: Voreo Sabrae.5416

Voreo Sabrae.5416

I’m still glad i rushed to get it, though once i hit rank 80, time for a gw2 break to start conquering that steam backlog for a bit … this really needed to be said sooner about “Year of the Ascension”

But I will always say I got mine back in Season 3.

Have screenshots of both putting mats into the forge and forging it. Do that with all legendaries

Now move those Achievement sections into the Legendary Backpacks under collections and rename it, The Ascension I, II, III, IV

Rawr?

(edited by Voreo Sabrae.5416)

in PvP

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

So….

Hey everyone,

I wanted to just chime in here and make some things clear as they may not be clear.

The “Year of The Ascension” achievement do not reset/clear between seasons. Whatever progress you have carries over to the next season.

If you can’t/don’t get the legendary if a specific year then there will be another way to obtain that specific backpack. I can’t go into any details on that, but you WILL be able to get previous years backpacks in some way.

We also understand the frustration of players and matchmaking this season and will do our best to make some changes for Season 3.

I can’t be the only one reading this as "the “Year of the Ascension” achievement way of obtaining this will be removed but you will be able to get it ANOTHER way".

We’re going back on this now?
After people worked their behinds off to get far enough in the achievements to be able to finish it this tournament? Why?

in PvP

Rashy.4165

After people worked their behinds off to get far enough in the achievements to be able to finish it this tournament? Why?

Can’t please everyone. Some people got it by Season 2.

Times change. Plans change.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Have you thought of renaming the achievements to match? I don’t think I mind them being changed to permanent too much but I think renaming them or condensing their achievements if possible may be a good idea.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

When it was possible to grind your way to Legendary using the old Pips division system to begin with?

It was supposed to be prestigious by only being obtainable across the 4 seasons so only a handful of the total percentage of playerbase would receive it…

Also on a personal note: I was a proud owner of The Ascension until I read this thread, I thought season 6 and 2017 would bring a new Legendary set to work for. Even if it was just different colours.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Pathetic. Whatever it was worth having that backpiece is gone now. Its worth absolutely nothing. Rename the achievement next time you pull this kitten.

LOL it only had some semblance of prestige in Season 1 and 2 where you actually had to get legendary rank to get the wings that early and even then with smurfing etc it was kinda bogus. By Season 3 anyone of average skill who had the time to grind games got the wings. By Season 4 even below average skill players who could just grind a lot of matches and get occasional win streaks got the wings. So no it was actually worth nothing quite some time ago.

Its only value is the skin itself not any “pvp skill prestige” (oh and you can change stats and put infusions in it)

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: MetalGirl.2370

MetalGirl.2370

I’m delighted to see yet another skin become meaningless just because of these decisions.
It was supposed to be “year” and so we can actually have something to be proud of in a way…and you want to make literally everyone the same.
As much as most of you would like to say “oh but then elitists this and that”, you’d be lying to say you’d not be glad to have something special and not be like everybody else in the game…

Mesmerizing

(edited by MetalGirl.2370)

in PvP

Rashy.4165

It was supposed to be prestigious by only being obtainable across the 4 seasons so only a handful of the total percentage of playerbase would receive it…

That was never the intention. The intention was, if a new backpiece came out and Year of the Ascension had to be retired, there would still be an alternate way to earn past backpieces. Regardless of the approach they took (keeping achievements for longer, providing an alternate path for gift of the competitor), The Ascension would still be accessible well beyond the first 4 seasons.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-leagues-and-sloth-attack-on-guild-chat-a-summary/

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Stopped-dead-on-Wings/page/2#post6067744

Video in particular: https://youtu.be/1ApYM2f12ys?t=263

(edited by Rashy.4165)

in PvP

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

That was never the intention. The intention was, if a new backpiece came out and Year of the Ascension had to be retired, there would still be an alternate way to earn past backpieces. Regardless of the approach they took (keeping achievements for longer, providing an alternate path for gift of the competitor), The Ascension would still be accessible well beyond the first 4 seasons.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-leagues-and-sloth-attack-on-guild-chat-a-summary/

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Stopped-dead-on-Wings/page/2#post6067744

Exactly, this (or something similar) was always the idea, I don’t know how so many people missed that.

Thanks for letting us know Ben!

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

When it was announced it was announced for the first 4 seasons, then there was a huge forum complaint about people missing out so it was extended to season 5 and now again we extend it to season 6….

Carebear community. No one cares about intentions, it was said it was for 4 seasons so people rushed into it trying really hard and the carebear side of the game has completely discredited everyone who did earn the wings legitimately.

PvP is dying, lets kick it to speed it up instead of keeping this prestigious and bringing new content into the game mode to help it flourish a little.

There will be a new legendary backpack every year, but Hugh confirmed that the current style can still be earned after a new one is introduced

Quoted it strait from your link. The current Wings can be earned AFTER a new one is released. Can someone please point out the new backpack? no? ok.

….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

Thank you for the information Ben! I just got mine today!

Attachments:

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

in PvP

Rashy.4165

Quoted it strait from your link. The current Wings can be earned AFTER a new one is released. Can someone please point out the new backpack? no? ok.

They never said it was exclusive to Seasons 1-4. That was implied by them saying “one backpiece per year” where Ascension was logically 2016, since it worked out to 4 seasons per year. As of the end of S1, they stated very simply that if you miss out on earning it in 2016, you can still earn it through some other means in later years, IF they release a second backpiece.

People assumed that The Ascension won’t be obtainable after 2016, but ANet said they’d come up with a way to still make the backpiece earnable. Somehow. Currently, they don’t HAVE to do that as they haven’t announced a second backpiece. Even if they were to release a second backpiece, the cleanest solution would have been to not retire the achievements and allow for people to always make progress towards them (potentially earning multiple backpieces at the same time, unless they change the achievements for future backpieces).

The goal was always to ensure rewards were always ACCESSIBLE. That doesn’t cheapen the effort needed to actually get it (except for the difference in league tracks vs. divisions which was fair because they anticipated that not everyone would be able to cross into higher divisions multiple times). The ones who worked their butt off got to show off their backpiece for a lot longer.

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

They never said it was exclusive to Seasons 1-4. That was implied by them saying “one backpiece per year” where Ascension was logically 2016, since it worked out to 4 seasons per year. As of the end of S1, they stated very simply that if you miss out on earning it in 2016, you can still earn it through some other means in later years, IF they release a second backpiece.

People assumed that The Ascension won’t be obtainable after 2016, but ANet said they’d come up with a way to still make the backpiece earnable. Somehow. Currently, they don’t HAVE to do that as they haven’t announced a second backpiece. Even if they were to release a second backpiece, the cleanest solution would have been to not retire the achievements and allow for people to always make progress towards them (potentially earning multiple backpieces at the same time, unless they change the achievements for future backpieces).

The goal was always to ensure rewards were always ACCESSIBLE. That doesn’t cheapen the effort needed to actually get it (except for the difference in league tracks vs. divisions which was fair because they anticipated that not everyone would be able to cross into higher divisions multiple times). The ones who worked their butt off got to show off their backpiece for a lot longer.

1 backpiece per year is not an implication, it wasn’t implied at all it was stated directly by Anet. Implication… jesus…

They did say it was going to obtainable in the future yes, but AFTER a new one was released. I still don’t see a new back piece but what I do see is another decision to push away the dedicated players of the game while simultaneously discrediting Anets future promotions to it’s customers. People worked hard to make it in the time frame and stopped playing other modes, games and gave up some real life time to make sure it happened.

They laid out there plans, no one made any assumptions, we just believed Anet like the morons we are then settle for satisfied when nothing happened again.

….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Rainiris.1975

Rainiris.1975

…so, what’s the compensation? You know, for all the unnecesary rush and pain for being told it was exclusive to past year. I do not remember kindly the stress I had to go through on Seasons 1 and 2.

in PvP

Pifil.5193

…so, what’s the compensation? You know, for all the unnecesary rush and pain for being told it was exclusive to past year. I do not remember kindly the stress I had to go through on Seasons 1 and 2.

Who told you it was exclusive to the last year? Where? ArenaNet said it would still be obtainable after the first year from the start but they hadn’t decided how at the time, now they have.

in PvP

Pifil.5193

1 backpiece per year is not an implication, it wasn’t implied at all it was stated directly by Anet. Implication… jesus…

They did say it was going to obtainable in the future yes, but AFTER a new one was released. I still don’t see a new back piece but what I do see is another decision to push away the dedicated players of the game while simultaneously discrediting Anets future promotions to it’s customers. People worked hard to make it in the time frame and stopped playing other modes, games and gave up some real life time to make sure it happened.

They laid out there plans, no one made any assumptions, we just believed Anet like the morons we are then settle for satisfied when nothing happened again.

You seem to think that they’ve lied here, they haven’t, they said it would still be obtainable after a new backpack comes out, a new backpack hasn’t come out yet. It would only be a lie of a new backpack came out and this one wasn’t available any more. I don’t know why you apparently thought that meant this would be no longer available until the new pack came out.

As for there being one backpack a year there may be a new backpack later this year, it’s only January after all.

in PvP

Rashy.4165

Read closely. One backpiece per year IMPLIED that it would be one backpiece for S1-4. One backpiece for S1-4 was NEVER STATED EXPLICITLY.

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

All the misinformation could have been dispelled very early on if Arenanet would just be transparent. But that’s not their style.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

All the misinformation could have been dispelled very early on if Arenanet would just be transparent. But that’s not their style.

How’s it misinformation? They changed their minds. Transparency is one thing, telling the future is another.

Even if they hadn’t changed their minds they have always been transparent in saying that they will implement a back door to earning these skins.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Pifil.5193

What are you talking about? Right from the start they said that it was their intention that everyone could earn the backpack and that people would be able to earn the current backpack after the current year ended, they just weren’t sure how so it would be done. Now they are sure. They were completely transparent but people still misunderstood or misinterpreted the information given to them and somehow it’s ArenaNet’s fault that people can’t or don’t read the actual information and instead invent their own version.

in PvP

Posted by: GenerationX.9178

GenerationX.9178

These achievements need some serious work. It is not only boring as heck but if you aren’t a pvp player it takes you ages to finish 1. Some my friends have taken 1 month to complete 1 season teir of it because the ranked matching is horrible. I play decent amount of pvp and still run into the same problems being going on crazying losing speer. Maybe change it to rank and unranked games?

Generation [ RH ] [ EC ]

in PvP

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

if you aren’t a pvp player it takes you ages to finish 1.

Funnily enough, this was intentional. Smh.

“The Ascension is designed to reward investment in PvP by any player and will require more than one season to complete. You don’t need to be the most skilled player to earn it, but highly skilled players will find that they can progress through the Path of the Ascension faster.” – Inro page

Kitten.

in PvP

Posted by: Glael.7643

Glael.7643

Dear Arenanet,
I still wonder why you are putting pve gear into pvp? I mean someone who only focusses on pvp doesn’t need pve gear. Ok with the ascension and it’s achievements to get it – ok.
Might have been a great idea to get more people into pvp.
But (rant on)
Why are you giving ascended armor for free just to play ranked pvp? just why??
Honestly this was a uber mistake ! If you would have (at least) added achievements to get it then it would have been ok. But this??
As it is now it just brought afk pip farmers etc.
If you want that pve gear to stay in pvp then please, PLEASE add achievements to it.
I, and I think many others, would really appreciate it.
I mean rewarding someone for losing by giving them pips? just because they played ranked? Seriously?

main necro,thief
nerf thief, nerf it all

in PvP

Posted by: zoneg.3058

zoneg.3058

Hey folks,

Thanks!
Ben

Thanks !
Now I hope you’ll bring back ranked Stronghold next season, so I can complete my few missing achievements ! ^^

La Légion de Sokaris [SKR] Guild Leader | http://www.guild-sokaris.net/gw2
~~ Augury Rock [FR] ~~

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

Read closely. One backpiece per year IMPLIED that it would be one backpiece for S1-4. One backpiece for S1-4 was NEVER STATED EXPLICITLY.

It is stated. I’m not going to argue basic English with you.

….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Rashy.4165

Without a source, I’m not convinced. The only source is “one backpiece per year”, not one backpiece “exclusive to season 1-4”.

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

Without a source, I’m not convinced. The only source is “one backpiece per year”, not one backpiece “exclusive to season 1-4”.

Did you forget you posted links and source and I quoted it strait from your links?

It’s further up this thread if you want to re-read what you posted.

….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

GenerationX.9178

if you aren’t a pvp player it takes you ages to finish 1.

Funnily enough, this was intentional. Smh.

“The Ascension is designed to reward investment in PvP by any player and will require more than one season to complete. You don’t need to be the most skilled player to earn it, but highly skilled players will find that they can progress through the Path of the Ascension faster.” – Inro page

I guess it makes since, but just saying the same thing over and over is boring

Generation [ RH ] [ EC ]

in PvP

Rashy.4165

Did you forget you posted links and source and I quoted it strait from your links?

Your reading comprehension must be serious lacking as BOTH links I posted do not explicitly state that Ascension is exclusive to Seasons 1-4.

I’m done.

in PvP

sephiroth.4217

Your reading comprehension must be serious lacking as BOTH links I posted do not explicitly state that Ascension is exclusive to Seasons 1-4.

I’m done.

There will be a new legendary backpack every year.

Anet stated how it is, and again they let us down. You’re welcome to keep defending Anet about it but I think it’s fair to say they royally kitten on the playerbase who believed them. Congrats on your 6 season grind for the wings, some of us had it season 2 and actually found it prestigious.

My reading comprehension is fine. I’m done too, like I said I can’t teach you basic English or argue with you about it. I know I’m not foolish or delusional enough to argue with the dictionary but you’re more than welcome to try. (see, I can be passive aggressive too! Aren’t we special snowflakes!)

….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

GenerationX.9178

I am very close to giving up on The Ascension because the matchs are just terrible…any tips? I’ve played over 200 match and about 50 them are wins….I also never played other classes much and I really annoyed with people calling me newb get good as advice to get better.

Attachments:

Generation [ RH ] [ EC ]