You shouldn't lose rating when teammates DC

in PvP

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

It is pretty frustrating to lose your rating in a 4v5. I understand that, statistically , all solo queue players should experience the same amount of 4v5s vs 5v4s. Over many games it should average out.

But it still feels so bad to see that -12 over something you can’t control. I just had two 4v5s in a row, and 3 has not been that uncommon. I’m not sure I even want to queue a third time tonight.

If you duo queue, you can at least guarantee one person won’t DC(on purpose), but I usually don’t have a partner, as my guild is mostly pvers.

I would rather see no rating penalty, and DCers locked out for a longer period of time, as a deterrent. A day at least, rather than whatever it is now(minutes?)

I know DC’s are not always intentional. Sometimes, your internet is not your fault, but if it is acting up, it would be better for you to step away for the night. And if your mom is calling you for dinner, or something like that, then you shouldn’t have queued.

We should definitely not be losing rating if these dc’s are on Anet’s side.

(edited by Lucky.9421)

in PvP

Lucky.9421

As I posted that. My own GW2 client crashed to desktop. Oh the humanity.

I wasn’t queued though!

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

I agree, 2 min dc should be auto dishonor and dc count and auto loss. If you dont have internet, dont play ranked.

in PvP

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

shrugs

The only fair solution would be to remove rewards from ranked and add them to unranked. This would make ranked entirely for fun and prestiege, while everyone else plays unranked (lowering d/c rates and the number of people accused of not knowing what they’re doing).

But the idea that someone “shouldn’t play” at all just isn’t very good marketing, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Let’s not crucify a person of disconnecting if it may have been out of their control… besides, dishonor already has a severe punishment to the point where it’s a mini temp ban for repeating offenders.

That said, I agree with the main point of this thread. No Reason to lose full rating when a player DC’s for more than 30s. Likewise, if the same person DC’s throughout a match, the DC out-time calculated together should also be taken into consideration.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

You lose no rating if they are gone more than 2 minutes. However I agree that this amount of time is way too long. In my opinion, the time before you lose no rating should be 30 seconds- the equivalent of dying with a pretty long bleed out too. Any more than this and the game will become impossible for the team with the dc if the teams are evenly matched. It needs to have a minimum time though to prevent people going to char select for 1 second to save the rating of their friend (who they are not duo with) if they do not care about their rating themselves.

With the current system, if a player is gone for 1 minute 59 seconds, the game acts like they were there the whole time even though it more than likely threw the entire game. The ONLY time you can win after that is if you are in an extremely unbalanced game.

right now if you have a dc, the best thing to do is just stay logged off until the game finishes to save your team’s rating. I have had 2 dc since the start of season 6 and I did this both times. If everyone did this (which they should) then the timer would not be a problem. Unfortunately though, people come back after a dc for some reason which is why the current system needs to change.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Nah you hopped into a match and lost a game for four of your allies, wasted their time and rating. It’s very disrespectful and deserving of a kick from ranked.

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

I am no programmer but I bet that it is possible to see on which end a DC happened. If it was a DC on player’s fault, there should be all penalties that come with it now. It seems unfair to those who have unstable internet connection, but then in the first place they shouldn’t play ranked. It is to prevent abusing, yet still there are duos that take advantage of it and as soon as they see that a match is not in their favor, the smurf account DC’s to save rating.
However, if DC happens due to server’s fault, there should be no penalty to the team and to the player who gets DC’ed no matter the stage of match if it takes more than 30 seconds of absence. I am quite sure that this is doable

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in PvP

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

I am no programmer but I bet that it is possible to see on which end a DC happened.

It’s technically possible, but can create more problems, and the problem can lie anywhere from anet’s servers to your computer – and there’s a lot of inbetween steps. It basically would involve pinging each of those steps until something doesn’t come back, and if you have a LOT of people disconnecting at once, an unnecessary number of pings are sent to those inbetween steps, where ddos protection might kick in and get Anet’s servers blocked. And then everyone is locked out of the game, which reads as a disconnect, which sends out even more pings…

At a minimum, what Anet needs is a server status page/better status reporting. As it is, we’re lucky if their twitter even mentions ongoing problems.

in PvP

Posted by: Keadron.9570

Keadron.9570

right now if you have a dc, the best thing to do is just stay logged off until the game finishes to save your team’s rating. I have had 2 dc since the start of season 6 and I did this both times. If everyone did this (which they should) then the timer would not be a problem. Unfortunately though, people come back after a dc for some reason which is why the current system needs to change.

The problem with this is not coming back is "abandonment " which is 10 stacks of dishonor. The lockout isn’t really the issue, matchmaking takes dishonor into consideration. Perfect match is “0” dishonor “-100” stacks “-50” each stack lasts 4 hours

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

1 minute seems a fair about of time count the match as deserted. Actually i could compromise with 1 minute and 30 seconds just to start.

in PvP

Posted by: Chuck.2864

Chuck.2864

I agree, 2 min dc should be auto dishonor and dc count and auto loss. If you dont have internet, dont play ranked.

This is such a stupid sentiment. You could get a dc for a million different reasons – people with kittenty internet connections aren’t the only ones getting dc’s. There’s a bunch of stuff that could go wrong either on your end, your ISP’s, or somewhere in between.

Hell, it doesn’t even have to be internet related. You game crashes for some reason. Your graphics card fried all of a sudden because reasons. You suddenly had a power outage. Who the hell knows.

Get this idea out of your head that people who get dc’s are people with spotty connections who know it and choose to queue ranked anyway because they don’t care. The current solution is good enough.

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Unfortunately though, people come back after a dc for some reason which is why the current system needs to change.

The only case in which these don’t become an auto-loss is when you have a giant lead in points, and you know your team is generally better.

But that is frankly 5% of cases (happy ending screenshot below). As of now, trying your best to log back in is pointless for you and detrimental to your teammates.

I don’t know what could be the solution.

1. Reducing the rating protection time to 30-45 seconds? The shortened time could arguably be abused, if it was a close game and your 4-man team is determined to stall for 30-45 seconds.

2. Cut rating loss in half after 45 seconds, and gradually reduce to 0 at 2 minutes? This could possibly make logging back in not a pointless endeavour (at lower tiers) and make it so that people will at least try a bit more to recover from the 4v5.

Attachments:

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in PvP

Posted by: Taltevus.3289

Taltevus.3289

correction you should not gain if opposing team DC’s No one should get anything. The DC’er should lose 3 x the normal amount. problem solved.

in PvP

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

correction you should not gain if opposing team DC’s No one should get anything. The DC’er should lose 3 x the normal amount. problem solved.

This may come as a surprise, but there are people who don’t care about rating, or worse, are interested in deliberately tanking their rating in order to fall down to a more exploitable meta level on their main account.

“We’re losing, and I don’t care about rating. I guess I’ll pull my ethernet cord out so nobody gets anything for this!”

Nah. We know enough about the dishonor system that this idea would be abused by the more toxic players in order to make pvp an even more foul experience.

in PvP

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

Yes , please ArenaNet,

help me feel less guilty, i ust got the black screen of death (infact i have the blackscreen of death alot this season) , you may think this is a fake screen but when i screenshot there was a cursor pointer thing on it, but it didn’t get capture.

Attachments:

Guild Wars 2 Forever

in PvP

Posted by: kahzee.6042

kahzee.6042

I thought you didnt lose points if someone dced.

Actually what I would like to see is the winning team not gain anything either. They didnt win the match due to “skill” so why do they get points?

in PvP

Lucky.9421

“You lose no rating if they are gone more than 2 minutes.”

I am not sure this is true, but I haven’t been able to get exact times. Usually when there is a DC, I do lose rating. The only time I don’t lose rating is if they didn’t even start the match.

Unfortunately, there are cases where someone is booted and then let back in. That will usually give the other team enough of a lead that can’t be overcome. And you will still lose rating.

I just had this happen.

in PvP

Posted by: Ben Phongluangtham

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Next

If you have a teammate DC for 2 minutes or more and you lose, you should not lose rating. Every case we’ve investigated of people still losing rating under these circumstances has turned out to be false. I attribute it to people having an altered sense of time during a match.

All that being said, we’ve been talking about possibly reducing the time. There are some considerations, like making match manipulation easier.

We’re currently thinking of trying 1 minute as a trial and keeping an eye on player behavior.

What do you guys think?

in PvP

Posted by: vorpal.1497

vorpal.1497

If you have a teammate DC for 2 minutes or more and you lose, you should not lose rating. Every case we’ve investigated of people still losing rating under these circumstances has turned out to be false. I attribute it to people having an altered sense of time during a match.

All that being said, we’ve been talking about possibly reducing the time. There are some considerations, like making match manipulation easier.

We’re currently thinking of trying 1 minute as a trial and keeping an eye on player behavior.

What do you guys think?

If 2 teams are approximately equally matched against eachother, I would argue that even 10 seconds is enough to throw the match – because once the initial team fight is lost, there is a snowball effect where the losers continue to lose as they trickle on to nodes 1 by 1.

in PvP

Previous

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Next

If 2 teams are approximately equally matched against eachother, I would argue that even 10 seconds is enough to throw the match – because once the initial team fight is lost, there is a snowball effect where the losers continue to lose as they trickle on to nodes 1 by 1.

We’re definitely never going that low. People would be DCing every match, since there would be a relatively good chance to still win and then 0 risk of losing rating if you still lose the match.

Also, if your team trickles on to nodes 1 by 1 continually, you probably deserve to lose.

in PvP

vorpal.1497

Well you asked, and my response is still that disconnect has no place in a ranked format. Invalidate the match and punish the person who disconnected severely.

edit: invalidate it for the winners too and return to lobby. I DONT WANT TO PROLONG A 4v5 EVEN IF I AM ON THE TEAM WITH 5!

in PvP

Posted by: Omcrazy.4756

Omcrazy.4756

Honestly, I am surprised they are willing to nullify lost points for a D/C at all. Game starts off a little rocky there will 100% be people who decide to just d/c so they won’t lose rating. By making it less punishing if you lose via D/C you make it more likely to have false D/Cs as soon as someone perceives the game as being “lost”. And anyone who has played something competitive will have experienced people claiming a match is lost well before it really is, often in the opening 1/3 of the match.

“Thief didn’t cap home, GG” I am sure most have seen something similar. If that guy isn’t punished for D/Cing but is punished for playing through and losing then it isn’t hard to imagine him D/Cing and going to watch some tv for a bit. Preserving his rating.

in PvP

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Also, if your team trickles on to nodes 1 by 1 continually, you probably deserve to lose.

Shots fired

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in PvP

Previous

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Honestly, I am surprised they are willing to nullify lost points for a D/C at all. Game starts off a little rocky there will 100% be people who decide to just d/c so they won’t lose rating. By making it less punishing if you lose via D/C you make it more likely to have false D/Cs as soon as someone perceives the game as being “lost”. And anyone who has played something competitive will have experienced people claiming a match is lost well before it really is, often in the opening 1/3 of the match.

“Thief didn’t cap home, GG” I am sure most have seen something similar. If that guy isn’t punished for D/Cing but is punished for playing through and losing then it isn’t hard to imagine him D/Cing and going to watch some tv for a bit. Preserving his rating.

The guy who DC’d will always still lose rating.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I agree that some segments of this community have shown a very strong propensity to exploit any loophole.

I can easily see a duo or larger group trading DCs on lost matches. Just off the top of my head I think that a group doing this would all ratchet to a net rating gain with little or no risk.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

What do you guys think?

Is there any way we can get a pop up on the screen when 2 mins pass that notifies the team with the dc that they wont lose points since 2 mins have passed? that could helf clarify who should lose rating and who should not.

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Shots fired

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in PvP

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

I just got kicked from a match again, and I dare not log in , how to show my face in the lobby, when you keep kicking me from a match.

Guild Wars 2 Forever

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

Maybe if anet had an actual tutorial for pvp and cared about the quality of players in pvp (aka an incentive to get better at the game and not be encouraged to just press all their buttons and die) we wouldn’t have an issue where the average skill level of players is so low that it takes a disproportionate amount of skill to over come.

Maybe just maybe, if people who understood pvp were working on it, we wouldn’t have these problems. Or are you just not aware that the 1/100 chance of some one listening to directives in chat and being able to appropriately interpret the map, makes the game essentially unplayable to your soloqers who you have proven you care the least for.

(edited by Vicariuz.1605)

in PvP

Posted by: Twyn.7320

Twyn.7320

We’re definitely never going that low. People would be DCing every match, since there would be a relatively good chance to still win and then 0 risk of losing rating if you still lose the match.

With: “Also, if your team trickles on to nodes 1 by 1 continually, you probably deserve to lose.”, that’s not exactly a developer response that makes someone feel valued. Maybe if there was an in-game tutorial about this kind of thing, you’d see more valuable PvP within the game. But this statement really devalues the developer outlook on the whole situation, and also seems to be less insightful and more rude than anything else.

in PvP

vorpal.1497

Also note that he was responding to a scenario in which one team had a d/c, so he’s essentially saying a team with a d/c who lost a 4v5 mid, deserves to lose when the guy does reconnect.

On the subject of intentional disconnects, punish the player who disconnected from a ranked match. Take the team’s aggregate rank decrease and apply it to the disconnectee, plus a 12+ hour dishonored. For people with wacky rural isdn or satellite connections, this is unfortunate but they are wasting 9 other people’s time when they dont secure a solid connection in a competitive format. For them, there’s always unranked and hotjoin.