absurd penalty for disconnect

in PvP

Posted by: atlavis.6028

atlavis.6028

Just a moment ago I joined ranked match, disconnected, after ~1min came back and won the match.

What I got for coming back? Lowered rating and 40min dishonorable.
40min for a short absence.

People change classes(that takes a while too) while match is running and get no punishment.

Is there any time frame to join back before you get punished or what?

(edited by atlavis.6028)

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

1 minute and 30 seconds I believe….

Sometimes I wish it would skip the unnecessary HotM map loading screen if you’re already in a match.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

40 min is not that bad. Think about it this way: you caused 4v5, chances are you would have never come back. You could have wasted other players time and rating. 1 match lost if someone leaves, to make up for it you would need to play another match = ca. 40 including queue times.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

This is why you should queue from some random dead zone like Lorna’s pass or timberline falls, lower load times.

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Sounds like you “D/C” a lot since dishonor is 3 minutes to start and cumulative for each additional dishonor amount

in PvP

atlavis.6028

40 min is not that bad. Think about it this way: you caused 4v5, chances are you would have never come back. You could have wasted other players time and rating. 1 match lost if someone leaves, to make up for it you would need to play another match = ca. 40 including queue times.

I could, but I did not. I joined back. We won. Teammates got pips + rating up. I got penalty.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

I could, but I did not. I joined back. We won. Teammates got pips + rating up. I got penalty.

You joined too late, the system flagged you as leaver.

All is Vain~

in PvP

atlavis.6028

Sounds like you “D/C” a lot since dishonor is 3 minutes to start and cumulative for each additional dishonor amount

Nope, this is my fist d/c in current season.

Actually I had similar situation back in February, however got only 5-6min of dishonorable. Now 40min.

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

This is a flaw with the system, but without the technology to distinguish between a genuine disconnection and someone abusing a disconnection to escape a losing game or to troll, innocent players will be punished.

in PvP

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

i was hoping -50 rating for leavers and afkers
40min is too forgiving

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

in PvP

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

excellent penalty you deserved the 40 mins, stop acting like the system was like ‘’men ill just randomly will give this guy 40 mins penalty because i can’’

need to lose rating poitns too

I took an arrow to the knee

in PvP

atlavis.6028

This is a flaw with the system, but without the technology to distinguish between a genuine disconnection and someone abusing a disconnection to escape a losing game or to troll, innocent players will be punished.

It would be simpler if system does not allow to rejoin for any situation.
That would stop class swap and save some time.

in PvP

Posted by: Aveigel.2601

Aveigel.2601

I don’t see why he should be penalized if he joined back within small amount of time and team won PERIOD.

/start sarcasm

for any who are happy about his misfortune, I wish you the same and then come back to talk about how happy you were to be penalized when you had a short DC, came back and won the match with the rest of your team, also how happy you were you got dishonor for 40 minutes and how that gave you ample time to consider changing internet connection cause there must be a better/cheaper provider somewhere out there right?

end sarcasm/

in PvP

Posted by: Somehow.4769

Somehow.4769

This is the reason behind cumulative punitions. Someone getting a random disconnection won’t get punished too hard. However if you keep playing ranked games with your poor internet setup or whatever is happening, you are voluntarily playing those games knowing that you have high chances to disconnect. One should not be forgiven if he’s willingly tagging for ranked games knowing his setup is unstable.

in PvP

Posted by: pyrocyborg.4162

pyrocyborg.4162

Now, I would like to know what generally happens to your rating if one of your teammembers disconnects at the beginning of the game and you end up losing the game? I know I lost rating that way 3 times today.

Now, 40 minutes seems harsh for a D/C… especially when they won! And it’s not as if a D/C was OP’s fault.

in PvP

Posted by: gimrob.9071

gimrob.9071

d/c is to hash, If u can log back in under a min their should be no dishonor. Right now you are better staying log off and not helping your team.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

if you team can win with you afk or disconnected for 2+ minutes, you don’t deserve any points because you were being carried anyway. I’m all for harsh punishments for afkers and DC’ers.

in PvP

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

d/c is to hash, If u can log back in under a min their should be no dishonor. Right now you are better staying log off and not helping your team.

Iirc, you have 1 minute to log back in before the system flags you as a deserter. So it works this way anyway.
It also has no visible timeout until it’s racked up on your account. So first offence should see no timeout.
Punishments start at 3-5 minutes and increase exponentially.
It is also possible to have Dishonour with no visible timeout because it decays much slower then the timeout.

Something tells me the OP isn’t being entirely honest.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

Problem is that it is impossible for Anet to know if your dcd is voluntary or if it is a connection problem. Sometime, for example, it happens to me that my adsl goes down . It is impossible for Anet to know this or if simply i do it by myself. I think that the biggest problems are for players who play with wimax conn or other not wired connections

in PvP

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

More proof that the dishonor system is an unnecessary useless function that should go away.

in PvP

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

More proof that the dishonor system is an unnecessary useless function that should go away.

It’s far from this. When it was removed, players begged for it to be reinstated because there was no punishment for afk, or DC’s.
Regardless of whether it’s your fault or not, you more then likely result in the loss of a game. That’s no fun for 4 other players.

Kitten.

in PvP

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

if you team can win with you afk or disconnected for 2+ minutes, you don’t deserve any points because you were being carried anyway. I’m all for harsh punishments for afkers and DC’ers.

You are inferring he is bad because he was DCed? Maybe, if he was playing the entire time, they would have won faster. Perhaps the other team was just that bad. You can’t assume he was carried without knowing how well he plays. Don’t be a kitten.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

You are inferring he is bad because he was DCed? Maybe, if he was playing the entire time, they would have won faster. Perhaps the other team was just that bad. You can’t assume he was carried without knowing how well he plays. Don’t be a kitten.

It doesn’t matter. In 99% cases 4v5 is a loss. The system can’t see whether he is leaver, troll, afker or just dc’d. He took too long to load in, his team had to carry 4v5 match – he does not deserve any points tbh. And 40 min is rather mild punishment. If Anet was to remove it, then people would abuse it a lot (like they did in s1 for example).

All is Vain~

in PvP

atlavis.6028

It doesn’t matter. In 99% cases 4v5 is a loss. The system can’t see whether he is leaver, troll, afker or just dc’d. He took too long to load in, his team had to carry 4v5 match – he does not deserve any points tbh. And 40 min is rather mild punishment. If Anet was to remove it, then people would abuse it a lot (like they did in s1 for example).

You do not get the point. The issue is no existence of punishment but a lack of clear information what to expect. We do not know if we get punished and for how long till the match ends. I would like to know what I risk before I join ranked.

in PvP

Cynz.9437

You do not get the point. The issue is no existence of punishment but a lack of clear information what to expect. We do not know if we get punished and for how long till the match ends. I would like to know what I risk before I join ranked.

You are welcome to suggest Anet a technical solution for such issue that wouldn’t involve ridiculous investments.

As far as general info goes, i think it is pretty clear what to expect when you continue to dc/leave matches.

Also, i would like to add that i lost countless matches due to leavers/afk/dc and i have yet to receive dishonor for dc’ing from match. It is not like i haven’t dcd’d before but i got in match pretty fast. Don’t play on toaster? Get better internet connection? If you are generally lagging, just don’t queue for ranked till issue is fixed.

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

It isn’t a random number they give out though, so you must D/C a lot for it to have accumulated to 40 mins, it is literally how the system works it starts at 3 and increases each time after that every time you D/C for 2mins+, go read up on the dishonor system, it doesn’t hand out arbitrary numbers. You know the risks they have been known for a year, it also seems like you D/C a lot so you should know you probably have a high chance of getting dishonor due to your connection.

The dishonor timer goes down if you don’t D/C within a certain time period.

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

in PvP

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

what if your D/C resulted on one of your teammate getting kicked out of the top 250?

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

in PvP

atlavis.6028

It isn’t a random number they give out though, so you must D/C a lot for it to have accumulated to 40 mins

As I said before, It was my first D/C this season.

it is literally how the system works it starts at 3 and increases each time after that every time you D/C for 2mins+, go read up on the dishonor system, it doesn’t hand out arbitrary numbers. You know the risks they have been known for a year, it also seems like you D/C a lot so you should know you probably have a high chance of getting dishonor due to your connection.

The dishonor timer goes down if you don’t D/C within a certain time period.

That’s interesting, because here I found completely different info. According to this If I D/C a lot then I would have been unable to play for many hours.

There is no clear info why I got 40min for a single D/C + additional time spent in the match I rejoined to.

From another post :

If you return to a match after a disconnect or switch classes, you will not gain dishonor.
We are always watching ‘the numbers’ and have the ability to change the variables of dishonor as we see fit. If we think lowering one number or raising another will reduce the amount of leavers and afk players, then we will certainly do it.

I returned to match and get dishonor.
They have ability to change numbers, so it isn’t clear how much time of dishonorable we risk.

(edited by atlavis.6028)

in PvP

Posted by: Nuvola.9460

Nuvola.9460

Same… First placement, I got dc but from 270-380 we won 500-450 and what I gained? LOST. why the kitten? we won, not asking them to give me a won even when I lose, but give me at least when I win