devs is there a reason

devs is there a reason

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

…for how slow it is to balance pvp?

I don’t play anymore, but it seems like everyone has been pretty fed up with warriors for months. Maybe I’m wrong?

devs is there a reason

in PvP

Posted by: azuzephyr.7280

azuzephyr.7280

The devs are fed up with warriors

devs is there a reason

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

The devs are fed up with warriors

Correct me if im wrong but one of the main pvp devs plays a warrior as main :x

devs is there a reason

in PvP

Posted by: azuzephyr.7280

azuzephyr.7280

I love the game, but I have many of the same complaints as any of the other players on the forum. I was getting trolled pretty hard by Hugh the other day… hambow is pretty OP, has nothing to do with him being better than me.

devs is there a reason

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Balancing MMOs is very hard to do. They have to account for 3 game modes. WvW, PvE, and sPvP. I know I know, split the modes. However, that makes the process of balancing twice as long. Anet is also very much against wack a mole. So they take things slow and test them out. Warriors are probably their favorite example. Everyone demanded warriors be buffed, that they were useless, etc; for 6 months. Six.months. Then around the necro buff hambow comes into play and its now one of the most OP builds.

devs is there a reason

in PvP

milo.6942

Balancing MMOs is very hard to do. They have to account for 3 game modes. WvW, PvE, and sPvP. I know I know, split the modes. However, that makes the process of balancing twice as long. Anet is also very much against wack a mole. So they take things slow and test them out. Warriors are probably their favorite example. Everyone demanded warriors be buffed, that they were useless, etc; for 6 months. Six.months. Then around the necro buff hambow comes into play and its now one of the most OP builds.

Yea I remember that. But doesn’t that also speak to the amount of time it takes for changes to happen? You say yourself, 6 months.

Another thing to note is how wildly the meta swings when they do release updates. It seems like large infrequent updates change the meta drastically and then it sits that way for months and months until a new patch drops.

I quit the game because there’s only dps and tank. There’s little room for utility playstyles, no debuff or disabling playstyles that act as enablers for your teammates to win. I think as a consequence balance is on a razor’s edge, with damage in and damage out being the main 2 variables. Who can kill who and how fast before help arrives? If you can’t win run or die, respawn, repeat. Balancing around that doesn’t leave much room for errors.

edit: to say it more simply: It’s not that balancing mmos is hard, it is, but it’s especially hard here because there are basically 2 roles: kill or live, spread out over 8 professions. There isn’t enough diversity built into the game to cushion balancing errors.

(edited by milo.6942)

devs is there a reason

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Yea I remember that. But doesn’t that also speak to the amount of time it takes for changes to happen? You say yourself, 6 months.

Another thing to note is how wildly the meta swings when they do release updates. It seems like large infrequent updates change the meta drastically and then it sits that way for months and months until a new patch drops.

I quit the game because there’s only dps and tank. There’s little room for utility playstyles, no debuff or disabling playstyles that act as enablers for your teammates to win. I think as a consequence balance is on a razor’s edge, with damage in and damage out being the main 2 variables. Who can kill who and how fast before help arrives? If you can’t win run or die, respawn, repeat. Balancing around that doesn’t leave much room for errors.

edit: to say it more simply: It’s not that balancing mmos is hard, it is, but it’s especially hard here because there are basically 2 roles: kill or live, spread out over 8 professions. There isn’t enough diversity built into the game to cushion balancing errors.

They did do changes in those 6 months. Engineers got nerfed, other specs got buffed and nerfed, eles had some major changes, etc.

You state the reason you quit the game, fixing that reason is no simple matter. People need to realize this isn’t just a number issue. This isn’t something they can fix in a couple of months. It is a mechanic issue. The way the skill mechanics are made and set up is whats keep the game down. It’s whats hurting build diversity, it is whats causing the skill floor and skill ceiling to be so low, and it is one of the main reasons why this game will probably never go esports.

devs is there a reason

in PvP

milo.6942

They did do changes in those 6 months. Engineers got nerfed, other specs got buffed and nerfed, eles had some major changes, etc.

You state the reason you quit the game, fixing that reason is no simple matter. People need to realize this isn’t just a number issue. This isn’t something they can fix in a couple of months. It is a mechanic issue. The way the skill mechanics are made and set up is whats keep the game down. It’s whats hurting build diversity, it is whats causing the skill floor and skill ceiling to be so low, and it is one of the main reasons why this game will probably never go esports.

I agree this game isn’t suited to esports.

However, it would be greatly improved by intelligent and more frequent balance patches. There probably exist enough core mechanics to sustain proper pvp, but they are underutilized in favor of raw number bumps, always in line with dps in and dps out paradigms. This is probably due to pve and wvw design considerations, as you’ve said. My point was, given the situation, and given the limits, the best course of action would be to balance more frequently and split skills for spvp.

devs is there a reason

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

They choose to ignore the part of the community that actually understands the game. development is clearly not understading anything bout Balance.

Read It Backwards [BooN]