does "casual community" ruin pvp balance?

in PvP

Posted by: Josh.5839

Josh.5839

like you knowalot of the class skills are easy to pull off and do lotsa dmg

like if it involved more set up n timing would that anger the average frat boy?

pls give good feedback

in PvP

Posted by: manarchon.2089

manarchon.2089

pls give good feedback

Yes it does.

What i suggest is to prevent casual players entering hotm altogether. Only if you have 10k+ ranked/team arena games and play a full zerker non-meta spec should you be allowed to pvp in this game. Otherwise the balance is all kittened up and it ruins the gaming pleasure from true hardcore elite players who can actually play.

I totally agree with you bro!

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

pls give good feedback

Yes it does.

What i suggest is to prevent casual players entering hotm altogether. Only if you have 10k+ ranked/team arena games and play a full zerker non-meta spec should you be allowed to pvp in this game. Otherwise the balance is all kittened up and it ruins the gaming pleasure from true hardcore elite players who can actually play.

Sarcasm? Poe’s law seems to apply here.

in PvP

Posted by: Josh.5839

Josh.5839

no his post legit. please dont accuse ppl pyriel. lets keep civil okays?

in PvP

Posted by: manarchon.2089

manarchon.2089

This is a casual game. So lots and lots of casual players. And as much as I hate loosing games when ppl on my team have no idea what or why they are doing something i accept it when i que solo. Only thing you can is do your part and encourage others do right things and hope they listen and adapt as you do.

The casuals don’t destroy the balance I think but the fact that there’s not enough “skilled” players and “hardcore” teams to pit against eachother in a team arena que.

If they were it would be sensible to have separete ques for more casual players and more elite players. But I think you would then que 24 hours to do one match of pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

I am, don’t worry.

I was confused as banning ‘casual players’ from halls of the mists seemed so over the top, so I could not tell if it was sarcasm or honesty.

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

The casual players don’t ruin the balance. The balance is only ruined when people who expect everyone to be on their skill level and know what they plan to be doing during the match join without premaking a team. The casual players don’t care if they lose, only the person trying to climb ladder does.

If you don’t want to lose, premake a team.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Casuals, not so much. There really aren’t a lot of “casuals” who spend a lot of time on forums. It’s generally a vocal majority of low-tier players who play more than an average mount that don’t increase in skill fast enough that spend the most time complaining about various things. So casuals, no, but yes, vocal low tier players absolutely can negatively affect balance.

Beyond low skill, people with poor perception can kill build diversity, such as the massive AI hate that’s going around. Before AI it was Conditions, before that it was Burst, so on and so forth. People can’t decipher different roles and don’t fully understand the mechanisms, strengths and weaknesses of other builds and label them as “brainless and easy” if they lose to it, and you end up with knee-jerk balance reactions and instead of a balanced build you often end up with an extinct build.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Mister Stygian.2135

Mister Stygian.2135

Casuals used to have a place to avoid you called solo queue.

in PvP

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

that’s like saying that farm systems ruin pro sports

you can’t have a competitive scene without an entry point

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

that’s like saying that farm systems ruin pro sports

you can’t have a competitive scene without an entry point

Erm except with your pro sports analogy, and by extension I’ll use basketball, they don’t balance the game around entry players. How funny would it be if they made 3 point shots in basket ball only worth 2.5 because people making 3 point shots were too hard for newer players… It doesn’t really work that way. Instead they motivate getting better.

Gw2 however doesnt follow that system. They just nerf whatever gets complained about the most, which tend to be low tier builds since high tier players tend to only face other high tier players and don’t complain nearly as often.

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

does “casual community” ruin pvp balance?

just a simply YES!

I say no. I think players on this forum have done more to ruin balance than the suppose casuals. The casuals generally don’t come to the forums whining about meta this and meta that. Only you so called “hardcore” do.

Since guild wars 2 was release people on this forum have whine constantly about balance. You complain about “meta” or new OP but have never realized that they will always be something that is the new meta or even OP. Reading some of the topics, you got players who dare say that balance has gotten worse which is rather funny. At BWE1 players couldn’t play the game well and ele were great, players whine they nerfed the ele. Release players start learning the game and a new OP build is found. Then we went through the d/d era, the necro era, the warrior era aka healing signet era, spirit warrior era, hambow era, the QQ era, engineer era, bunker era up till the celestial amulet era. All of these driven by you delusional “pros”.

The point being all of these the casuals had no effect on balance. I mean the very nature of casuals means they can’t come up with builds like these or whine a lot about balance.

The only thing casuals have been responsible with respect to balance is the thief (hotjoin) and elementalist (BWE 1) getting nerfed to the ground.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

(edited by silvermember.8941)

in PvP

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Gw2 however doesnt follow that system. They just nerf whatever gets complained about the most

No, that’s really not how the balancing team works.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Gw2 however doesnt follow that system. They just nerf whatever gets complained about the most

It’s a fairly simplised and generalistic view, but it’s not far from the overall truth. Perma stealth and various thief nerfs, hambow nerfs, old ele nerfs then buffs after they were sent to the bottom, dhunfire, etc. The largest changes come to the things with the most complaining and community focus.

(edited by ronpierce.2760)

in PvP

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Wait, if “casuals” get banned from entering PvP until they have X rank, and Y build, then how do they get to X rank?

Seriously though. Why would you want to stop “casuals” from playing? As said before they have to start somewhere. Instead of whining about how bad they are, the terrible builds they use, why not try to educate them? And do it in such a way that doesn’t belittle them and tear them down. It’s not really helpful to say “Your build sucks, you don’t know what you are doing. You should use XYZ instead, doing otherwise just marks you as a noob.” Try something along the lines of. “I noticed that you seem fairly new to PvP. If you wouldn’t mind, I would like to teach you a little bit and maybe we can find something that fits your playstle, and what you want to do.”

Both are essentially saying the same thing, but the latter is far more helpful than the former.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

pls give good feedback

Yes it does.

A community that cannot grow from outside influence can be described by but one word:

INBRED

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Wait, if “casuals” get banned from entering PvP until they have X rank, and Y build, then how do they get to X rank?

Seriously though. Why would you want to stop “casuals” from playing? As said before they have to start somewhere. Instead of whining about how bad they are, the terrible builds they use, why not try to educate them? And do it in such a way that doesn’t belittle them and tear them down. It’s not really helpful to say “Your build sucks, you don’t know what you are doing. You should use XYZ instead, doing otherwise just marks you as a noob.” Try something along the lines of. “I noticed that you seem fairly new to PvP. If you wouldn’t mind, I would like to teach you a little bit and maybe we can find something that fits your playstle, and what you want to do.”

Both are essentially saying the same thing, but the latter is far more helpful than the former.

I agree completely. You would think that this would be an elementary conclusion, how do you get there if you can’t start there? I think sometimes people forget that they started out at the bottom and had to work their way up. They also forget that being a Pro PvPer does not put you above people. Truth is we all have areas we excel at but it doesnt put us in a higher tier or class then our fellow man.

I Love PvP, at this time I don’t have the time to devote to it to be amazing but I do my best to support my team, understand the mechanics and work very hard to improve my builds and rotations. This game is about fun, it is clear that some people have lost touch with that.

If there is no new blood introduced you will never know what boundaries can be pushed what new things you will encounter and, you stop growing and improving. You are never the best at anything, and new challenges from new people are what make you better.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

I agree completely. You would think that this would be an elementary conclusion, how do you get there if you can’t start there? I think sometimes people forget that they started out at the bottom and had to work their way up. They also forget that being a Pro PvPer does not put you above people. Truth is we all have areas we excel at but it doesnt put us in a higher tier or class then our fellow man.

I Love PvP, at this time I don’t have the time to devote to it to be amazing but I do my best to support my team, understand the mechanics and work very hard to improve my builds and rotations. This game is about fun, it is clear that some people have lost touch with that.

If there is no new blood introduced you will never know what boundaries can be pushed what new things you will encounter and, you stop growing and improving. You are never the best at anything, and new challenges from new people are what make you better.

clearly u do not know, hero.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Updated-Guard-Dueling-every-profession/first#post4793520

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Take celestial builds as an example. People complained about them, but it was a much needed nerf. I don’t want to change the subject, so let’s not argue about whether or not it was a good nerf. The point is, top tier teams And Casuals wanted something to be done, for good reason.

We’ve all seen the “nerf turret engi” – “nerf rangers” – “nerf condi” threads… those were started _ by_ Casuals. Top tier teams would never make these type threads. You get a chain of casuals wanting the same thing… to kill these classes for the wrong reasons.
That is detrimental to PvP balancing.

I’m glad Anet can tell the difference while we’re here arguing about it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

I don’t view so-called casuals as a problem. The problem is newer players entering spvp either don’t know where to look for information on how to play properly or are stubborn.

I personally don’t care if I win or lose as long as I know I’m making the proper choices and using my class effectively when I cannot control who I get paired with. I don’t always make the right choices in matches but I take steps to correct bad decision making.

Many players who are not casual on the other hand go on like little babies in matches when someone on their team makes mistakes or poor choices instead of calmly trying to explain to them why doing Action-X is bad after the match.

As far as balancing goes, I don’t think Anet listens to just the forums. You see Grouch and other Anet employees in game. I think they pick up on complaints from various places, see them first hand, and pass them on to the balancing team. A lot of stuff probably gets filter out where you can’t place bad balance issues with anyone but Anet.

in PvP

Posted by: kodesh.2851

kodesh.2851

No, but the pursuit of Esports (hahahahaHAHAHAHhaaaaah) ruins the appeal for casuals and newbies wanting to get into pvp.

Sizzap – Asura Mesmer, Dragonbrand

in PvP

pdavis.8031

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Updated-Guard-Dueling-every-profession/first#post4793520

I’m confused. This Hero person (didn’t watch the videos) Claims to be the best guard dueler in NA WvW. Apparently he doesn’t run the “meta” build. But what does this have to do with “causual” players in PvP? Unless you are refering to the statement that you cannot be the “best” at anything, and that new challanges cause you to improve?

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Without the casual community this game would have like 100 players. This game isn’t good enough to take too seriously.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

I’m confused. This Hero person (didn’t watch the videos) Claims to be the best guard dueler in NA WvW. Apparently he doesn’t run the “meta” build. But what does this have to do with “causual” players in PvP? Unless you are refering to the statement that you cannot be the “best” at anything, and that new challanges cause you to improve?

that was all i was referring to, since i had just seen his post, to me, it was the humor

in PvP

pdavis.8031

that was all i was referring to, since i had just seen his post, to me, it was the humor

Gotcha

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Consider me properly enlightened

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

No, but the pursuit of Esports (hahahahaHAHAHAHhaaaaah) ruins the appeal for casuals and newbies wanting to get into pvp.

Except that isn’t true. All the changes (it needs more changes) have increase the the amount of casuals, the ones that seem to have a problem are the “hardcore” or the forum warriors. You don’t see many thread after thread of whining how “casuals ruin ma gam” from casual players. Or “why don’t you make a toggle so I don’t play with casual”.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Casuals, not so much. There really aren’t a lot of “casuals” who spend a lot of time on forums. It’s generally a vocal majority of low-tier players who play more than an average mount that don’t increase in skill fast enough that spend the most time complaining about various things. So casuals, no, but yes, vocal low tier players absolutely can negatively affect balance.

Beyond low skill, people with poor perception can kill build diversity, such as the massive AI hate that’s going around. Before AI it was Conditions, before that it was Burst, so on and so forth. People can’t decipher different roles and don’t fully understand the mechanisms, strengths and weaknesses of other builds and label them as “brainless and easy” if they lose to it, and you end up with knee-jerk balance reactions and instead of a balanced build you often end up with an extinct build.

BOOM

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Except what ronpierce said has no basis. AI hate existed long ago.

FIZZLE

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Only if Anet listens to these bad players! Luckily they are smart enough to ignore the low tier whiners like all those turret Engi threads!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

pls give good feedback

How do we know your not both casual and in a fraternity?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Only if Anet listens to these bad players! Luckily they are smart enough to ignore the low tier whiners like all those turret Engi threads!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

They ignore you. So they must be smart!

<3

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hey Evan posted in one of my threads one time!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: jason.2043

jason.2043

Trying to win games in ranked pvp while solo is like try to win a foot race wading through a pile kitten

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Trying to win games in ranked pvp while solo is like try to win a foot race wading through a pile kitten

I’m going to just assume you really meant kittens, because that’d slow me down…

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Thats not true.

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

I pretty much only queue Ranked solo and my win/rate isn’t that terrible.

What class do you play jason?

in PvP

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Is what you’re saying TC that because it is so accessible to casuals that you get your a handed to you all the time and for that reason you wish it to be less accessible? Because thats what it sounds like. If you were such a pro it wouldnt matter what they did balance wise, you would figure an attack plan and a counter plan and keep on keeping on

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books