ele vs warrior

ele vs warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Hello,

after some experimenting and a great bunch of advice from the pvp community – I’ve narrowed down my intentions about playing a mid-fighter class to ele or warrior.

I really do like playing a D/D celestial ele with the typical 0/0/2/6/6 build, but I feel like I’m a walking target dummy. I do fine in 1v1, I can mostly hold a 1v2 until help arrives (if at all). But it seems that whenever I enter a group fight I become the enemy team’s primary target. And ele skills are fine for countering sustained dmg or a burst from one player, but other than mistform (obsidian flesh if you play Sc/F but thats not your typical mid fighter build lol) you have no abilities that will save you ‘no matter what’. Endure pain or the block from shield #5 are much better and dont prevent capture point contribution. And ofc you have a lot more HP, toughness and passive heal.

So all in all I feel like that the cornerstone of mid-fighting is a heavy CC class, thats also tanky. And this description fits warriors perfecly. Maybe certain engie spec can do that too. And if I dont have such a player on my team, there’s nothing that can prevent the enemy team from killing me first always.

FYI its also definately a L2P issue, but still I’d like to know in which class should I invest that learning. Ele looked tempting to me, because its a more versatile class so I though it’s great if I have the potential to deal with different situations. But in the end it seems that being a jack of all trades is inferior to being master at one particular role.

I’ve already answered my own question, so I’d just like to know if I have any flaws in my course of thinking.

ty

enthusiastic noob

ele vs warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Otaking.4675

Otaking.4675

Ele and war are the core of the current meta for the reasons you listed. Every ToL team recently has had a d/d ele and a hambow at the core.

That said, Ele are not first on the target list but necros , rangers, and engies are due to lack of stability and less ranged defenses. They’re just far easier to lock down and kill than ele. (Depending on whether you’re d/d or s/f but that’s besides the point)

As you said, you can hold 1v2, some eles can hold 1v3. Albeit they are using lightning to take off heal and return but no other class has as much recovery, mobility, cc and defense in one package. Saying you have no abilities that will save you no matter what is false when you have lightning flash and a natural mist form.

Hambows are similar or you can make a sword warrior and kill people with torment, or axe/warhorn shoutheal and never die to anything. Hambow has the most tournament value though.

I believe Ele, while you say it is a Jack of all trades, the thing is in GW2 this translates into unlimited skill cap because you have a response to anything a class can throw while retaining high damage, tankiness, cc and mobility. Counterplay is way more important than 100 extra points on your pure damage build, or 100 extra points on your pure bunker build.

It’s more like master of all trades than jack, so if you like ele already you are on the #1 class in PVP right now for most modes. I personally can’t stand ele style and playstyle.

Warrior by contrast has some weaknesses, putting them at #2.

ele vs warrior

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

you forgot mesmers

as an ele, i can sign Otakings post.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

ele vs warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

The Ele is targeted first because it has a lower Health Pool and a lower Armor, so coordinated bursts can take one Ele down very quickly, while the warrior could tank the damage for much longer.

But what you are missing is that warrior completely lacks of active sustain. If the elementalist is good enough, he will NOT die even if targeted (Lightning Flash, or RTL alone can save you a lot of times), while the warrior, once designated as the next target, will surely die, sooner or later.

Being a D/D Ele helps your team alot, because of all the Might stacks you give, the AoE Protection, Regeneration, Swiftness, blast finishers, healing through water skills and so on. So personally I’d say: if you are willing to get very good, stay Ele, and learn positioning (yes, you can go out the point if you need to recover!).

Frenk – EU
All is vain

ele vs warrior

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

i would not even constantly go inside the point during teamfights. kite, pierce, CC and kill from the sides. if you split up the enemy, you’re doing it right. call out the preferred target, call for spike, blink to him, knockdown/knockback, push for max dps on target, stomp, get out, rinse, repeat.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]