enough with the "get good", "get better"

in PvP

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

Get good, or get better has nothing to do with it, and I’m sort of getting a little tired of people using this to answer questions. let’s say you have 2 good teams. sometimes one team will win, sometime the other team will win. It is highly unlikely that one team is going to beat the other team 5 times in a row as they are both good teams. it will just go back and forth win and lose with both not really getting anywhere. The only way teams get anywhere is if they keep playing a team that is worse than they are, it’s that simple.

So I’m sorry, but the people that just keep saying, “get good” “get better” must have had an easy run against bad teams or have no understanding of statics.

Flip a coin, and get heads 5 times in a row, wait you can’t? guess you have to get better…….. lunacy.

If you did, you have lady luck on your side. lucky you

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I think you misunderstand why people tell others to get good. We realize better players beat weaker players. The new match making puts like skilled players on a team, and the major opponent decider is the Division.

The reason people say “get good” is because if you expect to dig your way out of a division you need to be better than the other people in the division. If you’re not, you will lose over and over until you happen to get enough pips (lower divisions) or enough of the better players work their way out of the division you’re on.

“Getting good” implies you’re improving yourself and taking charge of your growth. It’s kind of just a rude way of saying what players should be doing anyways, improving themselves to work on higher goals.

d(‘-’d)

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Worse teams will win a good amount of times because two or even one player has learned how to squeeze max value of their class.

Behind every close game is the sweat of a few players who are defying lady luck and delivering the lower team towards the W

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

I think you misunderstand why people tell others to get good. We realize better players beat weaker players. The new match making puts like skilled players on a team, and the major opponent decider is the Division.

The reason people say “get good” is because if you expect to dig your way out of a division you need to be better than the other people in the division. If you’re not, you will lose over and over until you happen to get enough pips (lower divisions) or enough of the better players work their way out of the division you’re on.

“Getting good” implies you’re improving yourself and taking charge of your growth. It’s kind of just a rude way of saying what players should be doing anyways, improving themselves to work on higher goals.

d(‘-’d)

What you have said might very well be true, but the “get good” phrase more often than not is taken with a negative connotation. Especially in a pvp match when tempers are sometime flared and last thing that loosing side might want to hear is “get good”

Also the person saying get good often uses this phrase to try to get a response out of the opposing to further anger or demoralize them.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in PvP

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Anything that implies that the losing player is probably not the best pvper in the world is taken with a negative connotation. I had a post erased and been infracted because i said losing streaks were totally related to player skills (not just in the use of the proffesion, but in the understanding how the system works and doing what it takes to stop a losing streak).

It’s so simple: you play against everyone in your division, and the quality of players in your team depends on your mmr. if you get bad players in your team then you have to group to offset your bad mmr. If you still cannot consistently win, it means you grouped with the wrong players, or if your teammates are on your skill level, then you DO need to get better, as you are clearly not good enough to beat the division consistently.

You can do one more thing: wait till the best players in your division move on and more players below your skill level reach your division. Then you will get wins without getting any better, and you will not worsen your mmr due to constantly losing, but it’s probable that the players below your skill level rage quit before reaching your division.

Telling a player to get better is not a big issue. The game does it to you everytime you die, but most people fail to read the signs.

Last night, for example, a thief told me to get better many times. He stun locked me, avoided everything i threw at him, even he let some colleague die just to come out of nowhere and kill me afterwards. After the match, all my teammates were saying things about this guy’s mother. He couldn’t get better praise in pvp, and i couldn’t get a better teacher. The sad part is, I still haven’t figured out how to beat him next time.

(edited by Aenesthesia.1697)

in PvP

Posted by: rwolf.9571

rwolf.9571

It’s so simple: you play against everyone in your division, and the quality of players in your team depends on your mmr. if you get bad players in your team then you have to group to offset your bad mmr. If you still cannot consistently win, it means you grouped with the wrong players, or if your teammates are on your skill level, then you DO need to get better, as you are clearly not good enough to beat the division consistently.

MM is currently setup to give 1 team an advantage (no more 50/50). So if your mmr has been tanked unfairly, it’s hard to get back up, if not impossible to good standing to get on the “advantage” side of MM

You can do one more thing: wait till the best players in your division move on and more players below your skill level reach your division. Then you will get wins without getting any better, and you will not worsen your mmr due to constantly losing, but it’s probable that the players below your skill level rage quit before reaching your division.

The bulk of the good players have already moved on into their divisions. The only ones left are those who can only put in a few matches a per day.

in PvP

Aenesthesia.1697

mm is not setup to give anyone an advantage. You are playing in the same division other people are, so you play against them all. You can have the advantage, or be in a serious disadvantage, but it all depens on your relative skill level vs the competition.

And, to your second comment, there are still obviously better players than the people losing all the time, playing their division. That they don’t play 30 games a day doesn’t make them any worse.

in PvP

Posted by: claytonmorby.3751

claytonmorby.3751

And not that many players have moved up either, diamond and ruby que times are ridiculously long. I don’t even think legends can play due to the 2 hour que cap.

in PvP

Posted by: Siren.2843

Siren.2843

That´s people for you, they wanna tell you what to do all the time, and when you ask them ´how´ they fall silent. Don’t listen to them

in PvP

Posted by: claytonmorby.3751

claytonmorby.3751

Players have been posting a wealth of information to try and help players on this forum. Watch streams, ask streamers questions, go duel in 1v1 servers, ask the guy who keeps kicking your kitten on the other team how he’s doing it.

in PvP

Posted by: Siren.2843

Siren.2843

ask the guy who keeps kicking your kitten on the other team how he’s doing it.

That’s the best way to get info tbh, asking in combination with flattering opens doors hahaha. I asked everything I wanted to know about GW in game.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyanon.1928

Cyanon.1928

Guys, seriously….. This madness have nothing to do with skill…. I have been consistently top 100 on leaderboard, I have thousands of games played with multiple classes, I study my classes and mastered my builds…. I learned rotations from professional teams video guides and THAT has been my play-style for years….

My win lose ratio as soloQ has been about 65%…. However, in this season I had back luck at the first days and I go stuck with people who don’t read team chat, afk mid game, cant rotate, cant 1v1 and all type of bad players problems…. Despite Im contributing a lot, I’m stuck in this losing spiral losing 90% of my games…. and trust me, based on my past experience this should not be happening…..

How can it be my fault? I can’t control being teamed with worst players every time I lose a game…. There is no way out unless I premade… It wasn’t like that in the past, It takes away a very important aspect of the game and It only push people away from sPvP.

The problem has nothing to do with skill… the problem is that this system is now forcing you to play as a pre-made in order to stand a chance…… And THAT is simply wrong.

The majority of people who play this game are casual players and prefer to soloQ …. why punish them in order to benefit a small percent of the community?

I agree the OP…. enough with the “get good, get better” learn how the current system works before posting baseless arguments.

in PvP

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

mm is not setup to give anyone an advantage. You are playing in the same division other people are, so you play against them all.

Team MMR != Division position.

It’s appalling that some of you haven’t yet understood this simple concept.

in PvP

Aenesthesia.1697

The majority of people who play this game are casual players and prefer to soloQ …. why punish them in order to benefit a small percent of the community?

so let’s punish the guys that try to play better instead?

Last season, teaming up meant facing groups with good coordination that would destroy you because you were just a bunch of guys playing together. Now, it only means that you run less risk of getting terrible players in your team.

Also, last season, playing well was awarded with tougher match ups, and worse team mates. This season, playing well is awarded with better teammates, which one is more fair?

You can team up with anyone, btw, you don’t need to be superfriends or anything. If you still cannot win is because you won’t do what you already know you have to do to win.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyanon.1928

Cyanon.1928

This season, playing well is awarded with better teammates, which one is more fair? [/quote]

Aenesthesia, these are my basic rules when I pvp. Please tell me if you really think I’m a player that should be losing 90% of my games.

1. Never ever go into 1v1 fight for an enemy controlled point.
2. Always go to help +1 fights
3. Cap far ONLY if its empty (its better to just decap it and go back to help ur team)
4. If u wipe enemy team, NEVER GO FAR because they will rez and zerg u.
5. Resurrecting a team-mate is faster and better than stomping an enemy unless u have Stability/invuln
6. Read team chat
7. Always look at minimap

These are some of the basic rules I always follow, Im not going too depth for this post but u should get an idea of the type of player I am. Not counting that I have a ton of sPvP experience and a historically good win/loss ratio while soloQ or teamQ

So why am I getting punished? shouldn’t be me one of the players who are trying to play their best to win? Thus, being rewarded with similar teammates?

Do you really think that someone should be losing 90% of their games by playing like that…. That is clearly not normal…. I would expect someone to be at least winning 40/50% of their games… by just following those rules…

Not to mention that Because of losing games I’m stuck with bad players who promote more losing streaks for me….

Is that your idea of a fair matchmaking system?

(edited by Cyanon.1928)

in PvP

Posted by: rwolf.9571

rwolf.9571

mm is not setup to give anyone an advantage. You are playing in the same division other people are, so you play against them all. You can have the advantage, or be in a serious disadvantage, but it all depens on your relative skill level vs the competition.

What point of 90% of games being blowout matches is not evidence enough? You are grouped up with similar “teammates” with mmr. The other team has teammates with similar mmr but better than yours.

Others on the forum seem to do way much better on a toon account with clean mmr, is that not evidence also?

That anet said themselves this new system to promote “better players” meaning better mmr. But not necessarily better skill wise.

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

d(‘-’d)

The flaw in your logic is the assumption that to dig your way out of a division “you need to be better than the other people in your division”. It is actually more accurate to say that your team needs to be better than some other possibly constructed teams in the division AND your team has to play that other team.

Technically you don’t have to be better you could be worse but still win a game but I digress as that’s not really the key error in your logic

THERE IS A VERY HUGE DIFFERENCE between what you have said and what the actual case implies. I can put someone who is better than the average person in their division in a set of matches, with a certain team, which will see them never get out of their division. (where-in divisions are ones you can loose pips). The algorithm is not starvation free as it is currently running.

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

ITT: People who have never played another competitive team based game.

in PvP

Posted by: Soul.9280

Soul.9280

I see a lot of people complaining on the forums about how they are good players but now caught in a possible MMR spiral. Like many I am concerned about the health of pvp in this game. I value having a large community of people who enjoy pvp.

But I wonder, how many of the people who are claiming to be good but stuck in emerald and in an mmr spiral are the people who cheesed season 1 by tanking their mmr at the start and then riding a wave of easy matches to legendary.

That seemed to be a thing in season 1 for a small minority. There was a lot of complaining on the forums about how cheesy that was and many people were angry that it could even be a thing. So now, they fix things so that having a high MMR is an asset rather than a liability, which is a good change. Presumably some people are now paying the price for their poor decision to tank their MMR. I wonder if some of the people who are complaining have considered that?

in PvP

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

I see a lot of people complaining on the forums about how they are good players but now caught in a possible MMR spiral. Like many I am concerned about the health of pvp in this game. I value having a large community of people who enjoy pvp.

But I wonder, how many of the people who are claiming to be good but stuck in emerald and in an mmr spiral are the people who cheesed season 1 by tanking their mmr at the start and then riding a wave of easy matches to legendary.

That seemed to be a thing in season 1 for a small minority. There was a lot of complaining on the forums about how cheesy that was and many people were angry that it could even be a thing. So now, they fix things so that having a high MMR is an asset rather than a liability, which is a good change. Presumably some people are now paying the price for their poor decision to tank their MMR. I wonder if some of the people who are complaining have considered that?

From someone who is 50% into Champion Brawler title from ranked games, it is very normal in S2 to be teamed up with people who make you not want to pvp anymore.

Crazy Leg

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Getting better is something to which we should all strive. However, consistently getting outclassed (it isn’t just bad players lots of people who made diamond last season are complained about big losing streaks in sapphire and even emerald) isn’t healthy for the game.

The problem is everyone started off in the same league. The algorithm at a basic level would be fine if it took into account season placement (based off MMR) or if it implemented an MMR floor that used your MMR from the end of season 1.

When I saw someone leave us 3v4 to die at mid only for them to die at beast themselves I knew I sunk too low.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Worse teams will win a good amount of times because two or even one player has learned how to squeeze max value of their class.

Behind every close game is the sweat of a few players who are defying lady luck and delivering the lower team towards the W

Totally agree. You know when you see it, that Scrapper who just won’t go down, going invisible at just the right time, cc’ing you at the worst possible time. The Druid who seems to have 9 lives. The thief who just seems to be in every fight and keeps stabbing you, etc, etc…

Many times the complainers who tell you to get good are not paying close enough attention to the guy who has played 8000 matches on the opposite team and is squeezing every last ounce out of his class, turning the match around.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons