how does chill affect skill recharge exactly?

in PvP

Posted by: typingofthedead.5614

typingofthedead.5614

is it that any skill used while chilled gets a full 66% recharge? or what i assume that recharging skills recharge at that rate during the chilled time only. and if that is the case, does it affect skills already on cd when the chill occurs?

in PvP

Posted by: warpy.1687

warpy.1687

AFAIK, any skill that is being recharged while you are chilled will recharge slower (at 66% of the original rate).

Ex: You have a skill with a 15 sec cooldown, and you get chilled for 6 full seconds anytime during that skill’s recharge. This will increase your effective cooldown time to 15 sec + 4 sec (66% of 6 sec) = 19 seconds.

This affects ANY skill this is undergoing recharge while you are chilled. Which means, if you cast a skill after chilled, its recharge will be chilled as well.

Also, I think it also affects the special recharges like the Thief’s base initiative recharge rate (unconfirmed though).

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

i though it was 66% of 15s cd……

in PvP

warpy.1687

I’m pretty sure it’s not that Shukran. Most conditions work in x times per second pulses. Chill should work the same. Otherwise, afflicting a 1 second chill would be the same as afflicting a 6 second chill – in that – they both would increase the cooldown of the 15 second CD to 25 seconds, which is incredibly OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Yezhik.2071

Yezhik.2071

It feels like it effect on-swap sigils, as well…
Like if you run poison on swap, on both weapon sets, and you’re chilled, it won’t proc the 2nd time

Even though it’s a 9sec cooldown, and your weapon swap has a 10second cooldown.

Yezhik – Guardian
VexX
www.vexxgaming.com

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

HOW IT (PROBABLY) WORKS:

You use a skill with 15 seconds cooldown, get chilled and ALL cooldowns have 66% slower lasting rate. No matter whether you used them before or after being chilled, while the effect persists, your skills will recharge 66% slower.

Of course your recharge timer on the skill icon won’t increase. You will just notice that the cooldown shown on the icon doesn’t represent seconds, but 1,66 second per each second shown.

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

in PvP

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

No, using the skill before/during the chill doesn’t matter. It just changes the cooldown rate while you’re chilled, meaning it takes 1.66 seconds to take 1 second off your cds. So if you’re chilled for 5 seconds, your coodowns will only decrease by 3 over that time period.

The 1s/6s argument was saying that 1s would have the same effect as 6s of chill on a single skill because 1s chill>skill activates while chilled=25s recharge 6s chill>skill activates while skilled=25sec recharge. Of course 6s would still be much better because it would affect more skills.

It’d be pretty OP if it increased the cd by 66% of the skill’s cd, just imagine a small 2s chill used right before an elite or something, bam extra 2min down.

in PvP

Shukran.4851

I’m pretty sure it’s not that Shukran. Most conditions work in x times per second pulses. Chill should work the same. Otherwise, afflicting a 1 second chill would be the same as afflicting a 6 second chill – in that – they both would increase the cooldown of the 15 second CD to 25 seconds, which is incredibly OP.

well, chill is a 1-stack-long-duration-condition. so if you have 6 secs of chill, you should be carefull at spamming skills or your will have a lot of long cds skills.

if my pov is correct, chill effect is wrong and it should be given to CONFUSION (like diversion in gw1). maybe chill should slow 66% mov speed and do dmg every time you move (lame but still lore-wised :P ).

if your pov is correct, less chill duration makes less effect. and it is quite nice. but condition description failed hard.

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

Warpy is correct, the anti skill function is rather weak with each second of chill adding .66s recharge each second to all skills currently on cooldown . Right now is mostly for the movement speed.

in PvP

Posted by: Psikerlord.2569

Psikerlord.2569

and the inability to dodge

in PvP

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

I believe it only affects the recharge rate. Meaning your cooldown doesn’t increase, a second just becomes 1.66 seconds.
So waiting for a 3 second cooldown with a 3 second chill on, will take you 1.66×3 seconds.
I might be wrong though. Also, Psikerlord, does it affect the ability to dodge? I thought only immobilize did that.

in PvP

Posted by: Taym.8326

Taym.8326

I would also like to know how chill affects a thief as it does not have a recharge rate. Does it affect initiative recharge or are the simply immune to chill’s second effect?

in PvP

Posted by: leashmaygoss.2140

leashmaygoss.2140

pretty sure it’s bugged

Hiba
Booty Bakery [yumy]
Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

are thieves immune to this effect? Speaking strictly weapon abilities.

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

Chill stopping dodge was an intended mechanic I think as it is in the Wiki description, however this does not always work. I tested this in a hotjoin with a buddy.
Case 1: when chill was applied, he was still able to dodge.
Case 2: Chill was applied, wait 1 sec, he was unable to dodge.
Case3: Chill was applied, able to dodge once, then unable to dodge a second time

The results were inconclusive, but as you can see it is kinda bugged on that part of chill

As for skill recharge, your timers will just slow down when you have chilled on you, which is basically increasing the recharge time. You do not get extra time; rather, the timer just counts slower.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

in PvP

Posted by: Atlas.6901

Atlas.6901

Chill stopping dodge was an intended mechanic in BWE2 or so. It’s been changed for a while. Chill does not impact dodge, only immobilize does (as far as conditions go, fear also I suppose).

Regarding the recharge, it only impacts your abilities on cooldown. Just pay attention to the cooldown clock if you have that feature enabled, you will actually see that the cooldown numbers tick 66% slower.

in PvP

Shukran.4851

we need a DEV about this “learn to understand skill description” issue.
please

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

I believe it only affects the recharge rate. Meaning your cooldown doesn’t increase, a second just becomes 1.66 seconds.
So waiting for a 3 second cooldown with a 3 second chill on, will take you 1.66×3 seconds.
I might be wrong though.

I believe this is correct, but don’t quote me (I’d have to go check the maths). On a 3 second cooldown started at the exact same time as a 3 second chill, the the chill would end and leave the skill with 2 seconds left. The first 3 seconds to pass are recharging at 33% the rate, so only 1 second worth of time is cooled down, leaving 2 left after the chill is gone. Effectively turning the 3 second cd skill into a 5 second cd skill. However, you can’t always say that chill will add 1.66 * duration as cooldown to a skill because the skill may already be very close to finishing its cd. If this still isn’t clear or questionable, I can find some time to go dig into the code some more.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

Yes thiefs are partially immune to it, seeing that they have initiative instead. Also chill affects ALL skill recharge, whether it be burst, a bundle, or siege skill.

in PvP

Rika.7249

I might be wrong though.

I believe this is correct, but don’t quote me (I’d have to go check the maths). On a 3 second cooldown started at the exact same time as a 3 second chill, the the chill would end and leave the skill with 2 seconds left. The first 3 seconds to pass are recharging at 33% the rate, so only 1 second worth of time is cooled down, leaving 2 left after the chill is gone. Effectively turning the 3 second cd skill into a 5 second cd skill. However, you can’t always say that chill will add 1.66 * duration as cooldown to a skill because the skill may already be very close to finishing its cd. If this still isn’t clear or questionable, I can find some time to go dig into the code some more.

I was hoping you could generally say the following:
Your recharge rate for cooldowns is ALWAYS 1 second per second (if that makes sense?)
However, if chill is applied to you, then for the duration of the chill, your recharge rate is 1.66 second per second. Regardless of whether you have any cooldowns or not, the rate at which your cooldowns will recharge will be 1.66 seconds per second, as long as you have the chill condition on you.

If a cooldown is ready in 0.5 seconds, and chill is applied to you, the recharge rate is still 1.66 per second, meaning 0.83 seconds till your cooldown is ready, instead of 0.5 seconds.

Then again, I’m horrible with math. shiver

(edited by Rika.7249)

in PvP

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

1.66 per 1 would be a faster recharge.

in PvP

Rika.7249

1.66 per 1 would be a faster recharge.

As in, instead of needing to wait 1 second for 1 second to go off your cooldown, you now need to wait 1.66 seconds before a single second has been recharged.

God, it’s so hard to explain :P

in PvP

warpy.1687

Basically, you don’t want to be chilled for a duration longer than 2-3 seconds. This is what makes the ele’s chill abilities so strong, and I’m hoping they nerf it this patch.

in PvP

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

If you mean frost aura, it’s only really strong on multiple rapid hits, like unload or rapid fire. Since it only lasts 7 seconds it will actually only chill a few times. This is mainly because of kiting, while you could theoretically get 7 or so decent hits in, that would be unlikely since most eles will still try to dodge around. Compare it to other chills like spinal shivers (5s, 20rrecharge), chilblains (4s,20recharge) or winter’s bite (3s, 10recharge). As for others, freezing gust and frozen burst are in line, frozen ground seems ok at 40s recharge. but can be really strong if groups stand in it for long.

(edited by Navzar.2938)

in PvP

typingofthedead.5614

ah that clears a lot of my questions up, thanks to everyone that responded.

it does seem that initiative should be affected by chill as well, otherwise thieves do have a sort of unfair lil immunity to it.

also, does anyone know if it affects internal cooldowns of traits or runes/sigils at all. i personally think it should affect those as well as initiative, but wouldnt be surprised if neither is the case

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

This is much better understood as “cooldowns timers run at 33% speed”.

There is a checkbox to turn on cooldown timers in your options.

So for a 3 second chill, you will only see the countdown drop by 1 (instead of 3) for the duration of the chill.

in PvP

Posted by: KansasFF.9410

KansasFF.9410

Do we know that chill doesn’t affect initiative regen? It very well might, I have never thought to check.

in PvP

typingofthedead.5614

Do we know that chill doesn’t affect initiative regen? It very well might, I have never thought to check.

if it doesnt, it ought to. since initiative is essentially the thieves version of a recharge

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

I does not affect it, it would be far too debilitating. The movement speed slowdown is already particularly brutal on thieves as it prevents a lot of their skills from functioning normally, and mobility is so vital to their ability to deal and avoid damage.

in PvP

Posted by: Yarda.3162

Yarda.3162

Thieves have it hard enough as it is. Besides, only their weapon skills stay unaffected.

I mean, it’s much like complaining about weakness not affecting condition damage.

in PvP

Posted by: XiL.4318

XiL.4318

Thieves complaining about chill is hilarious.

However, chill is largely useless as a cooldown mod. If you use it at all use it as a snare. If chill actually applied the full effect to the entire cooldown time for any skill used while chilled, then it would be useful. But it does not and never will.

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

Even the cooldown increase is brutal. If you have your cds memorized and then all of a sudden you factor in chill ruins some rotations.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt