how does mmr work?

how does mmr work?

in PvP

Posted by: Wicked Rin.1972

Wicked Rin.1972

I’m a bit confused on this since nobody really explained it in a simple way.

First time I played rank matches was when season 1 came out. Most of my win/lost records were from moving up and down the pip tiers in ruby/diamond divisions.

So my real question is, are my win/lost records from ruby/diamond division consider the same as my win/lost records from sapphire and below? Do higher division matches have higher mmr points/rating or the win/lost rating for all matches the same?

good feedback please, less trolling posts if possible.

how does mmr work?

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

ANet uses glicko 2, so thoeretically the MMR of your opponents should play a role in determining the MMR loss/gain from each match.

Generally speaking, if the Sapphire players you are fighting have lower MMR than the ruby/diamond players you fought last season, beating them will not increase your MMR as much as beating a similar- or higher-MMR team. The MMR change after a win/loss only changes drastically if you are performing inconsistently (i.e., you have high MMR but losing to a low MMR, or vice-versa).

http://www.glicko.net/glicko/glicko2.pdf

how does mmr work?

in PvP

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

Divisions have no bearing on MMR. MMR is based ONLY on the win/loss of the games you played and how the system expected you to do against those opponents.

how does mmr work?

in PvP

Posted by: Wicked Rin.1972

Wicked Rin.1972

That all make sense, but mmr doesn’t take builds into consideration. Too many factors affecting team performance. I feel like solo q is a bad way to play rank matches. More people on the same page communicating makes it easier.

how does mmr work?

in PvP

Posted by: cosmicegg.8502

cosmicegg.8502

Step 1. Determine a rating and RD for each player at the onset of the rating period. The system constant, ?, which constrains the change in volatility over time, needs to be set prior to application of the system. Reasonable choices are between 0.3 and 1.2, though the system should be tested to decide which value results in greatest predictive accuracy. Smaller values of ? prevent the volatility measures from changing by large amounts, which in turn prevent enormous changes in ratings based on very improbable results. If the application of Glicko-2 is expected to involve extremely improbable collections of game outcomes, then ? should be set to a small value, even as small as, say, ? = 0.2.
(a) If the player is unrated, set the rating to 1500 and the RD to 350. Set the player’s volatility to 0.06 (this value depends on the particular application). (b) Otherwise, use the player’s most recent rating, RD, and volatility ?.

This is works best if they do step 1 correctly.

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

(edited by cosmicegg.8502)

how does mmr work?

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Try and figure this one out…
I have played 4700+ matches. These matches have been played across all forms of PvP. Hotjoin-unranked-ranked.

I am currently rank 80/legendary champion with some professions at champion (x)

I didn’t enter leagues last year based on the feedback in the forums. Instead I played a lot of unranked with HoT coming out and up skilled my understanding of what one could do with the new elite lines.

This year I have entered leagues, but only casually. I only play 16-18 matches per week at absolute most and have only just left amber. (started leagues about 5-6 days ago.)

However before season 1 myself and my guild leader decided to help teach new members about PvP. To do this we entered as a team with team speak. We knew we would lose a lot, but the point was just to introduce new players to PvP. We played around 50 matches and lost about 42 of them. We were ok with this all things considered.

In moving through amber I started with 3-4 match losing streak, then went on a 6 match winning streak, lost again, then winning streaked into sapphire. My first 3 wins were a single pip, my remaining wins were either double pips and a few triple pips.

As a player I can safely say my MMR is completely unknown to me and as a casual player these days I don’t expect to get to diamond or legendary, probably mid tier ruby is where you’d expect a experienced casual player to get to at best.

This is kinda my issue..without me, the player knowing accurately where my MMR sits, I have no goal to set my sights on. I don’t wanna be fighting new players all the time,..but I dont wanna drag my team either because I am not 100% committed to PvP. I simply like over time to land where my current skill and commitment to the game should have me. This way the 1-3 matches I play per day on average are fun games. The rest of the time I will run fractals, play round with builds in hotjoin..take ones that are viable to unrank to see how well they do before entering them into ranked.