[idea] Breaking Bar on Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Pomdepin.7068

Pomdepin.7068

Hi,

Just a raw idea : what if blocks would show a breakbar (like defiance bar on bosses) while activated, that could be broken with damage (direct/condi) ?

Mech.: upon activating a blocking skill, you’ll have a break bar. This break bar can be broken if it absorbs too much damage (instead of CC on defiance bar). If broken, the user is stun for X sec. BUT at anytime, he could be able to cancel the block by using the skill again.

I think that would make blocks more skillful to use, and also give them a counter, actually more usable than unblockable skills.

Only one person could not break the bar alone excepted with high burst, but more than one could, depending on the break bar “threshold”/capacity.

What do you think ?

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

That could be a good thing, granting a sort of counterplay to one of the more problematic thing of the actual sPvP.
The BB need to be huge, making it not breaked by a single player before it’s duration end and not breaked easy from 2 players, but will be breakable for a coordinated team burst.

That will add a problem but also solve others. A difficult thing to balance but for shure to take in consideration for the future.

in PvP

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Cuz block would be useless in wvw

Bad Elementalist

in PvP

Pomdepin.7068

For the balance I think it wouldn’t be that hard, because if you can cancel your block in order not to get stun, you can still block many attacks. And we all know blocks are very numerous since HoT, almost accessible to every profession. For the moment there is no reliable counter, they are just “oh kitten ” buttons.

Problematic for WvW, you’re right. But it seems they are now able to balance spvp separately. Don’t really know what to do for WvW… Leave it, or make them useless in big zergs where skill doesn’t matter so much. Don’t know. ^^’

(edited by Pomdepin.7068)

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I would like this idea if blocks had no cooldown.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Silv.9207

If blocks have no cooldowns? Why? XD

I don’t think that a self-stun when the breakbar is broken would be a good thing, simply make it end they’re block earlier, making them more vulnerable with a little lose of effectiveness in high number fights.

For WvW, it seems that anet now can fix things in sPvP only, then that change can be a sPvP only thing, or at last a sPvP/PvE thing, leaving WvW alone as it is.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

How would this be more skillful or introduce better counterplay than using unblock able cc? I mean you’re saying, as opposed to using an unblockable cc to interupt the block and open the enemy up for attack, you feel everyone should just keep pew pewing to cancel out the block? So instead of bringing unblockable attacks/cc and using them properly, we would should just be anle to keep mindlessly spamming out damage until we break a block? That sounds like much less skill involved actually.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Silv.9207

Actually the only class that i know using unblockable skills is the necromancer staff, that is really bad unless for his fear and condi transfer.
There’s a lot of unblockable skills but they’re all more or less bad and no one use them. And a lot of them are on the necromancer, that is the worst class atm.
There’s also skills that make you unblockable for X sec (example: warrior signet and reaper shout) but no one use them because there’s better things to use (only few for-fun builds use them)

If ANet make these unblockable skills viable for every class (also damaging skills, not only CC), there can be a counter against blocks, but they will never do that and our only chance to counter the insane amount of blocks in this game is make them weaker.

For weaker i don’t mean useless.
I mean: the block can still win all the 1v2 that you want under the best enemy burst combo, but can’t survive to a 3-4 player focus burst for it’s full duration.

The main problem is the amount of Block skills in this game. There’s skills that grant you to interrupt a block, but are really few compared to the insane amount of block skills in this game.
The only unblockable CC skills I see in game are the necromancer WH4 and the necro staff 5 (traited), no other skills. Sometimes a Static field but nothing more. Other few skills are unblockable fut aren’t cc.

We have currently 2 skills that can CC through a block, but can be nullified by a stability stack.
Yes, we lack of counters to block skills.

in PvP

Silv.9207

That is not the best solution for the amount of block skills in this game, the better thing would be see them reduced in number and/or duration, but some classes totally depend on them. Then, make them just a little weaker is the only thing we can do.
But as I said, not weaker so a single burst can end your block, weaker as a full team need to focus you to end your block earlier. A thing that anyway will be hardly done because is better focus someone that isn’t blocking than one that you can’t hit anyway for X seconds.

in PvP

Pomdepin.7068

How would this be more skillful or introduce better counterplay than using unblock able cc? I mean you’re saying, as opposed to using an unblockable cc to interupt the block and open the enemy up for attack, you feel everyone should just keep pew pewing to cancel out the block? So instead of bringing unblockable attacks/cc and using them properly, we would should just be anle to keep mindlessly spamming out damage until we break a block? That sounds like much less skill involved actually.

No, I was talking about CCs just to illustrate how damage would break the block bar (like CCs break defiance bar on bosses).

You should not pewpew on block, because some classes gain boons from blocked attacks or access to another skill. But it would be more skillful for the blocker to pay attention to his “block bar”, and also to the attacker to see if the better option is attempting breaking it or switching target.

I just propose this because like Silv said, there are very few unblockable skills compared to the amount of blocks in the game. Some classes have just no counterplay to blocks, and I don’t think this is fair to avoid so many attacks just by blocking multiple times.

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

iirc they tried the breakbar on player thing at one point early on during HoT beta or alpha but scrapped it because it wasn’t fun to play with or against.

in PvP

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

way too much hard damage mitigation in this game between blocks, evades, dmg invulnerability and just flat out invulnerability.

Should almost get the stability treatment tbh.

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Blocks are the counter play to bursts. You don’t add counterplay to the counterplay and expect a good result.

in PvP

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

This system already exists for Necro Shroud. Look at how balanced it is. Class of the future.

/s

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Actually the only class that i know using unblockable skills is the necromancer staff,

Guard, thief, ele and rev have unblockable CC, without counting unblockable pet from ranger.

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

OMFG Yess what a nice idea….let’s continue…breaking bar on stab ? (erf already exist).
What about a breaking bar on evade also and a breaking bar on invulnerabilities.
And what about a breaking bar on heal and one on damage ?

And please for love of god…more ICD everywhere..you know the one put to try desesperatly to balance completely low minded skills and provide some random “i kittening don’t know what happen” gameplay.

Can we have also more passive traits that refuels breaking bar….with icd ?

(edited by Kicast.1459)

in PvP

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Actually the only class that i know using unblockable skills is the necromancer staff,

Guard, thief, ele and rev have unblockable CC, without counting unblockable pet from ranger.

Ranger’s spike trap too, not sure if it counts in the grand scheme of things.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

I was talking about unblockable CC in meta builds, but there are effectively a lot more out there

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Also Engineer Acid Bomb on Scrapper is unblockable. Point being though, putting break bars on blocks is the wrong way to go. Would be much more efficient to add in more unblockable cc and attacks to counter blocks. Also, it’s a team game. Every class doesn’t have to have easy access to every form of damage and cc.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I was talking about unblockable CC in meta builds, but there are effectively a lot more out there

I wonder if an unblockable block is actually blockable with a ranger/druid WH unblockable pet attack ability.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights