just another lowlevel catering of anet

in PvP

Posted by: gw niko.1049

gw niko.1049

Skyhammer.
We all know this map and it´s just one of the later exaples of anets catering to everyone but the pvp-community, where “competetiv” and through that “strategie” was actually a thing.
Skyhammer was once a unique map and the “breaking platforms” and beeing able to throw someone out of the map throuh immobelize or cc was what made it like that at the MOST part.

THIS was the mechanic of the map. THIS was what made it unique to every other map.
But now it´s just another victim of anets pve attetute equalization like everything is todday in pvp/wvw.

Ofc with it beeing the old skyhammer it would give a huge adventage to knockback/pull/cc heros like engis. But why not. What´s the problem with having different levels of capeblitys for each different class at certain situations or environmental causes.

But no. “Everything has to be able to do the same”, “Everything has to be equal”, "no “stratetic” componets allowed like that of skyhammer".

As it is that they changed “Clocktower” in favor to the not teleport classes althought it was a well map befor.
As they changed the new coloseum because people thought there are some kind of advantage for teleportation or else.

GG anet.

If we are already at the topic the old capricorn map newer players probalby doesn´t know about was also better then this new one. You had a underwaterpoint, a actuall ship in the mid and a cannon and it was nicely designed.
I never understand why they even patched it out in the first place. Just saing.

Spvp will continou to die over time if they continou making this kind of changes who all fall in the same categorie for me. The attetute to want everything easy, slow and casual what ends up in the game totally not beeing “competetiv” anymore but a huge spam/zerg.

Have a nice day.

(edited by gw niko.1049)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

The old Raid on the Capricorn was my first PvP map. That was wild fun. I believe it was pulled because ANET was unable to balance underwater combat.

I really liked the old Skyhammer. I didn’t enjoy being pulled off the hammer platform from below or [Scorpion Wire] instant kills. Other issues: an engi or staff necro could lock down the gun almost permanently.

Anet moved the hammer to stop the pull from below trick. I’m guessing the change to automated firing was to prevent Necro/Engi/DH from dominating the upper platform and the game.

Skyhammer was the map that made my heart beat faster, because it was easy to die. It’s still fun for strategy, but not as exciting.

As to Khylo… well that felt like a big finger in the face to Mesmer/Thief. It’s still fun, but much less so.

You mentioned Coliseum, which got the same anti Mesmer/Thief style mods. I will say that “playing for the crowd” makes Coliseum much more attractive than it would be otherwise. I love doing the shout out to the crowd and hearing the response.

To some extent the heavy point bombing classes have been limited on Skyhammer.

The takeaway? I think ANET wants a majority of fairly straightforward bruiser classes fighting in close proximity. The trend has been to simplify and encourage “knife fight range” combat. There’s also been a drift away from trickier play styles, toward more sword/shield methods. A better strategy would be to let players play the way they want.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

i agree. Making the maps basically the same is very bad. the maps need do be as much diffrent, also in mechanics to be exiting. I liked old skyhammer and khylo. Making all straight forward and simple is bad for long term exitement.

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

I agree. Making things easier and including people who do not have the competetive drive regardless of level is not gonna bring in the rewards. those that re just players who play for the rewards are not gonna revitalize the pvp community.