map select 1 v 7...

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

this needs to change!

you all know what i’m talking about!

7 people choose to play on a good map like Foefire, Forest etc…
but that one…always one… chooses skyhammer just to troll.

there should be more restrictions in place to stop this from happening.
if 5 or more people choose the same map then it should automatically be selected,
if not, then the map with the most votes should be selected,
if all maps voted for have an equal number of votes THEN it should become randomized.

7 people wanting a legitimate match and 1 troll wanting to ruin their day should NEVER result in the troll getting their way.

i cringe every time skyhammer shows up in the wheel.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I have shivers everytime I see Courtyard… But I like this system: each map as a probability of occurrence exactly proportional to how much the players love it. We’re part of the majority here, but this systems preserves the interests of the minority that likes odd maps, and Anet did a great job with this system as it is.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Troll? that’s an unfair assumption. Some of us pick the less popular maps from time to time for variety, or if it’s what we feel like playing.

I’ll take anything over a third consecutive Battle of Kyhlo match (which has happened).

The real problem with the current system is not knowing which maps you’re queueing for in advance.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Just leave any Skyhammer, problem solved. Exacly what I do.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Liewec.2896

Just leave any Skyhammer, problem solved. Exacly what I do.

tempting but you get the debuff that ruins your gaming night, don’t you?

I have shivers everytime I see Courtyard…

same, i’m not a fan, but atleast its not skyhammer!

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Peutrifectus.4830

Peutrifectus.4830

Tbh, I quite like playing skyhammer every now and then these days. Probably because it only comes around 1 out of 50 games! I never vote for it but I’m not about to start self harming because of it.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Liewec.2896

bump because it happens every kitten ight i play…
6 picked foefire, 1 picked spirit watch, 1 picked SUCKhammer, game picks suckhammer…
EVERY kitten IGHT.

edit: for some reason the censor deletes the n off night…

edit for the devs: when we abandon our team on this piece of s%%t map it means we’re willing to accept the debuff, we don’t want to have to sit through the entire game and if we try to relog we get put back in suckhammer….
just give us the debuff and let us carry on with decent maps.

(edited by Liewec.2896)

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

I don’t like Skyhammer and Courtyard, but still I prefer to have random select since it gives me a chance to play on actually good maps instead of just stupid Foefire, that everyone seems to vote for nowadays.

EU Aurora Glade

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Liewec.2896

4 yes 4 suckhammers tonight with 1 pick each, i swear it would be refreshing to play a different dam map,
6 pick a decent map, 1 idiot picks suckhammer, suckhammer ALWAYS gets selected.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

Foefire is chosen so much and people throw matches in that map that I often vote for other maps in Ranked.

I never had much problem with getting Skyham or CY chosen when 1 person picked it. I don’t even care if I have them chosen in unranked. Skyham isn’t that hard of a map.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

there are even PREMADE teams with double power nec n kitten going for courtyard…

the tryhard is real…

Ark 2nd Account

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

I just checked the numbers for unranked arena.

Skyhammer has 7.5% of the votes, and is the map used in 7.2% of games.

I know quite a few people that enjoy the map, so I wouldn’t just assume only trolls vote for it.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Yeah, I don’t vote for it, but I enjoy it. It’s more fun than Khylo for me.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

I know quite a few people that enjoy the map, so I wouldn’t just assume only trolls vote for it.

This is interesting. Would you be able to share or publish your map popularity data at all? I’m sure the community would be interrested in it.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

I think foefire and forest are the least fun maps and I don’t think forest is a good map at all. I prefer the maps with more objectives than just 3 nodes.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

This is interesting. Would you be able to share or publish your map popularity data at all? I’m sure the community would be interrested in it.

Some match data would also be interesting, compiled and presented in a more detailed manner than what you have revealed before in individual posts. I know that Courtyard and Foefire have the biggest blow-outs, but it would be interesting to learn which maps have the closest matches points-wise on average. My guess is Forest and possibly Khylo. I’m sure there’s a lot of interesting data you could share with the community, if you only had the time.

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Cake.4920

Cake.4920

I’m curious, do you have winrates for people who choose skyhammer, on skyhammer?

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: kpeatop.9458

kpeatop.9458

Map vote is ok and I don`t mind if a random person wins it.
It seems that people like Foefire, The Forest and The Temple.
Those are nice maps with easy to understand bonus effects.
I`m not sure why people don`t like Courtyard, Spiritwatch and Skyhammer.
Maybe it`s because people can`t understand the concept of “stick together”, “+3 is better than +30” and “BFG beats every class”.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Be a man and add it to Ranked please.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

Skyhammer is fine now you can dodge the hammer, I think it makes for a nice bit of variety in rotation! Bring it back to ranked

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

ArenaNet loves those numbers.

I think the only chance we have, is to influence their statistics.
1.) Always vote. Never pass on the chance to vote for a map you like.
2.) Never ever vote for a map you don’t like.
3.) Then there are those numbers, how many players leave each map. Our first rank 80 #1 engi posted a video a while ago, how to influence this statistic.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Night.2034

Night.2034

Troll? that’s an unfair assumption. Some of us pick the less popular maps from time to time for variety, or if it’s what we feel like playing.

I’ll take anything over a third consecutive Battle of Kyhlo match (which has happened).

The real problem with the current system is not knowing which maps you’re queueing for in advance.

I agree. After 3 Kylho, 5 Legacy, 2 Spirit Watch and 2 Temples, even though I prefer Kylho and Legacy, it’s refreshing to play a Courtyard or a Skyhammer. I sometimes pick those to do something else, because always doing the same thing on the same map is boring (btw bring more pvp maps ! mawrrrrrrrr !).
And there is an easy solution for “the real problem” (not knowing for what map you’re queuing), it’s a way to save your builds (like templates in GW1). So whatever the map will be, you’ll be ready for it anyway, so bring on the templates !

Concerning the current system, it’s perfect, it’s like Sorel said earlier : “each map as a probability of occurrence exactly proportional to how much the players love it. We’re part of the majority here, but this systems preserves the interests of the minority that likes odd maps, and Anet did a great job with this system as it is.”
Good job !

(edited by Night.2034)

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I like the mechanics of Skyhammer in principle, but what I dislike about it is that a single failed dodge or a match-up against a lot of blowout and launch can skew the team fights and smaller-scale fights. It is never very enjoyable for me to just punt four members of a team off of a cliff without any sort of fight.

I do like the variety of a different map here and there, but I wish it were a different map from Skyhammer basically all of the time.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

yeah when other maps are courtyard and spirit watch someone is probably gonna vote for skyhammer too

rofl

Ark 2nd Account

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

Bumped because still relevant. Trying to get the coliseum achievements and now 5 times the game picked the map 1 person voted for instead of the coliseum which 6/7 people vote for. It’s frustrating.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

This is why we have the electoral college.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Skyhammer itself is not a bad map. I certainly enjoyed it the few times I had to play it.

Although, the map selection wheel probably does need looking into. Even in those 1v7 cases, the RNG still tends to pick the less voted one, regardless of the map. Maybe it’s just me though. I guess the weighting can be tweaked a bit more to more or less guarantee the most voted maps.

I’ve so far only had one match where everyone selected the one map. It would have amused me to see that map not get selected though, against all odds.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Moonsinn.5382

Moonsinn.5382

I always vote for skyhammer. My favorite map.

Aethelweard Rex – Guard
Trist Lockwood – Thief
Aelius Swift – Warrior

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Moonsinn.5382

Moonsinn.5382

And yeah I realize this is a necroed thread.

Aethelweard Rex – Guard
Trist Lockwood – Thief
Aelius Swift – Warrior

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

Before it was included in ranked, i was against skyhammer – but i changed my mind, because in ranked people take skyhammer more serious and i start really loving it

I hate to admit it, but it became a great ranked map… (and i really hated it when it was just part of unranked, after the update)

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Before it was included in ranked, i was against skyhammer – but i changed my mind, because in ranked people take skyhammer more serious and i start really loving it

I hate to admit it, but it became a great ranked map… (and i really hated it when it was just part of unranked, after the update)

I agree. This map is awesome for Ranked, when skilled players are using it. The sky hammer mechanic is sweet, and can really change the momentum when used at the right time. The terrain at B can make for some exciting fights.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

I always vote for skyhammer when its available, to troll. So I am one of those people OP talks about, we are many, and u will play skyhammer whether u want to or not.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Archon.6480

I always vote for skyhammer when its available, to troll. So I am one of those people OP talks about, we are many, and u will play skyhammer whether u want to or not.

Ha, ha. But the joke is on you if you pick it to troll and go against someone who has mastered the map and destroys you. Mua hahahahaha!

Jade Quarry – Esparie

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I like it the way it is….

I don’t know how others pick maps, but I always choose what is best suited for my class. If I have lots of AoE I choose the most enclosed map with the smallest cap circles, If I play something with mobility then I choose legacy or temple and so on…

If it was up to majority rules every time I guarantee I’ll forever be stuck on Legacy Defending Lord 100 points into the game every game.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Gamble.4580

Gamble.4580

Anyone who plays pvp other than daily hates Skyhammer. How dare u add it to ranked. For the 7%.

[UNTY] Unity guild -AG server
Asura -Thief

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

If foefire is up for map selection, i always choose another map (like temple of storm).

This for a few reason:

1) while i like foefire, it’s chosen to much. By choosing something else, and sometimes getting that map a succes it balances out the overly popular (and zerging) of foefire.
2) I don’t dislike foefire but i like most other maps more, so it’s my right to vote for another map.
3) Most succesful comps are based on zerg strategy (fight with full numbers into a block, then split when the enemy has fallen en then kill enemy 1 by 1 until they finally realize it (and it’s to late)). That is not fun. Other maps discourage this strategy.
4) Not having foefire chosen (or forest, although I certainly like that map almost as good as my favorite maps) forces people to play differently (or fail hard) in a setting where they most of time succeed. Imo pvp is about SO much more then the zerging/snowball strategy. I want people to have to play the different ones more, and other maps encourage so.

Is this troll voting? i don’t think so.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Archon.6480

^ Right. The other maps have some mechanics that more experienced players can take advantage of. At the same time, it also protects some of those same players from the #TotalFail the occurs in Foefire with newer players that try…say splitting home and far as an opening strategy.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Crowley.8761

Crowley.8761

I demand to see these people that allegedly enjoy Skyhammer. Preferably in a dark and discrete location.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Archon.6480

I demand to see these people that allegedly enjoy Skyhammer. Preferably in a dark and discrete location.

Ha ha, I picture you in a leather jacket and brandishing brass knuckles…

But now that you mention it…I’ve played The Purgatory of Foefire more than 2000 times I think. ANET says it’s my favorite map, but it’s not. I just get stuck on it all the time cause everyone wants it.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

7.2% ppls enjoy this map and make 92.8% ppls hate this game. Great job anet!

(edited by xeonage.1253)

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

xeonage.1253

I don’t know why Skyhammer can add to rank. this is the terrible map like Spirit Watch, Eternal Coliseum(thief mes game), Revenge of the Capricorn(DH Trap in mid). They waste their resources on NEW Terrible MAP again again and again. Why don’t use resources to make a New Game mode?

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I don’t know why Skyhammer can add to rank. this is the terrible map like Spirit Watch, Eternal Coliseum(thief mes game), Revenge of the Capricorn(DH Trap in mid). They waste their resources on NEW Terrible MAP again again and again. Why don’t use resources to make a New Game mode?

A new game mode would also need new maps, so there’s that.
Also, a new game mode has been made, it’s called stronghold and see how that turned out.

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

xeonage.1253

One thing i have to say: The Maps Of Conquest are Enough. Pls don’t design NEW Terrible MAP and try to add to Conquest PLEASE!!!

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

xeonage.1253

A new game mode would also need new maps, so there’s that.
Also, a new game mode has been made, it’s called stronghold and see how that turned out.

Ho, one down? Next!

map select 1 v 7...

in PvP

Posted by: Bardly.2571

Bardly.2571

I like sky hammer better than “25 points to the person whose dot ticks last on svanir” Forest….