meta vs Experimental builds

in PvP

Posted by: trunks.5249

trunks.5249

i was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this subject. i have seen fights break out on map and team chat over meta and non meta builds. my thinking is play whats fun for you it is a game after all if your not having fun whats the point . i have even seen people that run meta builds and hate it because they are not having fun but use it because its what i guess in their head it is what is expected of them. in any case i would love to know how the majority of the community feels about it

master jedi david

(edited by trunks.5249)

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I assume we’re talking about Ranked matches here? It’s fine as long the player is experienced with that build and is effective with it.

It’s not fine when that player is testing the build in ranked (we have unranked for that) or is playing some wildly ineffective build.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

trunks.5249

I assume we’re talking about Ranked matches here? It’s fine as long the player is experienced with that build and is effective with it.

It’s not fine when that player is testing the build in ranked (we have unranked for that) or is playing some wildly ineffective build.

i agree with that i do not think there would be that many people taking a build they just made into ranked without testing it for a few days in unranked that would be a little weird

master jedi david

in PvP

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

i agree with that i do not think there would be that many people taking a build they just made into ranked without testing it for a few days in unranked that would be a little weird

And yet that’s what you did to get out of silver lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

And Gold as well…

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

trunks.5249

well that is a little different i have played ranger for 4 years you think i havent played almost every build we have? i changed build to get out of bronze i wish out of silver but i am on my way to gold so no big deal. only thing on it i had never used was trapper runes i played about 20 matches in unranked to get used to them and how i could use them to my advantage

master jedi david

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

A few top players are posting non meta builds theyre running. Like a gs/lb power ranger.

in PvP

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

well that is a little different i have played ranger for 4 years you think i havent played almost every build we have? i changed build to get out of bronze i wish out of silver but i am on my way to gold so no big deal. only thing on it i had never used was trapper runes i played about 20 matches in unranked to get used to them and how i could use them to my advantage

wait what? you’ve been playing ranger for 4 years and you didn’t know how stealth worked?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/trapper-rune-question/first#post6444653

smh…

in PvP

trunks.5249

wait what? you’ve been playing ranger for 4 years and you didn’t know how stealth worked?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/trapper-rune-question/first#post6444653

smh…

nope never goofed off with them always thought they were probably a gimmick. got bored and tried them out. sure enough their was a nice strategy to them also they were not always in pvp. i used undead or krait runes most of the time just depended on what mood i was in. by the way i quit long bow before they added stealth to it

master jedi david

(edited by trunks.5249)

in PvP

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

I think a lot of people come up with builds (whether alterations to a popular build or something they made themselves) to suit their playstyle. The best build to ever grace GW2 isn’t going to do you much good if you can’t play it that well after all.

I’m also not 100% against making further tweaks while still in rank, as long as they are small ones, like a change a skill/trait that doesn’t change the main focus of the build. You’re probably going to find things that work well in unranked where most are mainly concerned about dailies and but not so well in ranked where people are more likely to swap classes and builds to suit their opponents. Trapper Runes are kind of a borderline case, normally I wouldn’t consider rune swapping a big deal but the bonuses from Trapper are kinda unique and could probably use some testing.

Of course, there is a big difference between making an on-the-fly tweak on a build you’ve already had experience with playing unranked, and deciding to make major changes or try a brand new build -even a community favorite taken straight from a website like Metabattle- without taking the time to see how well it works for you in unranked.