noob to game needs pvp advice

in PvP

Posted by: brunswick.8903

brunswick.8903

Sup guys I’ve been playing wow for the last 4 years and much like every other wow player here…it has gotten stale. I just wanted to know what class is similar to what I’m used to (I joined a feral druid), how competitive this game is (like I really liked arenas; is there anything like that here?), how everyone is enjoying the PvP in this game, and just the the little good to know things about the PvP ….like what is op or kitten…what should I expect

Also I don’t have anyone to play with so if there are any guilds here or just group of people looking for someone let me know!

Thanks

in PvP

Posted by: Blimm.5028

Blimm.5028

Dont.play.ele

Just roll a warrior thief or ranger with the current fotm build and yall be fine.

Think With Portals [TWP]: 4th of 16 at Guildnews.de cup
Liane Frostfire – Elementalist [TWP] Ilona Frostfire – Mesmer [TWP]
Enya Frostfire – Mesmer [OMFG]

in PvP

brunswick.8903

kitten auto correct

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Well there is a skill curve , if you wanna jump right in then any class with AI , necro/ranger/mesmer are easy mode , If however you wanna go deep the ele/engineer are probally the hardest , Guardian/warrior/thief are none AI easy modes :P

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

The closest thing to druid is actually probably Elementalist. Each of the attunements are kind of similar to the different forms in druid:

water = tree (lots of healing)
earth = bear (lots of defensive/armor)
air = cat (lots of movement)
fire = moonkin (lots of damage)

Another good place to ask might be in-game as well. The good thing about GW2 PvP is you can try any class you like without having to grind to get gear just to compete. I would recommend trying a variety of things.

There are also some great websites with build tips as well. Here’s a good one that just got their guides and build calculators up: http://intothemists.com/

in PvP

Posted by: Kline.9561

Kline.9561

I played World of Warcraft for 8 years let me know if you need any tips or advice coming into Guild Wars 2.

and elementalist is close to druid, but from a competitive standpoint they’re fairly lacking in the self sustainable department Due to conditions. alternatively though elementalist has one of the highest skill caps And can be very satisfying pulling of combos

And before says my build doesn’t work, when Ele’s get nerfed it will be -Schwahrheit

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

You’ve played MMOs enough to know that balance is cyclical. Don’t worry about it. The upside of GW2’s structured PvP format is that you won’t have to level or gear a new profession even if you do decide to build what’s currently popular.

The thing that’s going to hit you most if your primary PvP game has been WoW, is that GW2’s PvP is so very much more faster, much more fluid, and a fair amount more “twitch” than WoW was. Not that I’d call GW2 a twitch game, but it’s moreso than the WoWs and the Rifts. Because of this and less buttons to press you’ll see a very significant difference between the players who are managing their skills effectively and the ones that aren’t.

Coming from Rift myself, I felt like I was starting over when learning GW2 PvP, but a couple months in I feel like I’m getting the hang of it. It’s fun. It’s not problem-free but end of the day it’s fun.

Also, not everyone agrees with this, but I would suggest using “solo arenas” as your primary PvP format while you learn the game. It’s pretty much like a battleground queue, drops a bunch of you in a match, runs it. There are also hotjoin rooms that function like shooter multiplayer does but they don’t really teach you the competitive side of the conquest mode that well.

I’ll also throw out there that GW2 has a number of other minor/non-combat PvP formats in the form of “activities” which are at least worth a try, as well as non-competitive WvW mode in which servers are pitted against each other in large scale battles. Think a 24/7 AV with siege weaponry and four huge maps. That mode uses your PvE gear and skills, though, so whatever you use in there you have to earn in PvE first.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

There are no arenas, it is more like battle grounds, called spvp in GW. The spvp is of just one type a conquest mode, kind of like Arathi Basin in WoW. However, there are several different maps with different dynamics/sub objectives to help score points. The teams are either 5vs5 or 8vs8

The competition comes in three main flavors:

1) Hotjoin: This is the casual mode where you learn a bit about the maps, how the game works and how the classes work. Also good for having fun in between tournaments. This is the mode most like wows bgs.

2) Solo queue tourney: You join a more competitive game and you get a ranking on public leaderboards. It is 5vs5 on a random map. As the name suggests this is the “pug” mode- no premades .

3) Team queue tourney: Same as above but you queue with your pre-made and receive a ranking on the “team” (premade) leaderboards.

The pvp is really fun. Necro and warrior are OP at the moment (but the devs rebalance fairly often so in a few months something else could be OP).

I don’t think any class plays like feral druid, but they are all quite fun in their own way, and as you can start competitive pvp at level two and no “gearing up” is needed, you can try them all out.

in PvP

Posted by: swordbreaker.5189

swordbreaker.5189

Really impressing no qq so far. You should test various Classes. Create one, make the first mission and the go to the Heart of the mist. You lose nothing in PvP when you change your Class.
15 October is patch day last hope for me to play my Ele again. Atm you got the strong Classes (Warrior, Thief, Ranger, Necro, Guardian) and the weak Classes (Engineer and Ele) and the Mesmer is somewhere between.

in PvP

brunswick.8903

Woah this community is pretty sick haha. I played a little with the ele, and its a little to caster heavy for me, so I tried some melee classes and im really liking the thief (mobility is what really drew me to feral druid in wow) but thanks a lot for the help….see you all in game

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Don’t get too attached to the usual ranged vs melee stereotype as all classes are quite efficient at all ranges. For example, you wouldn’t think a Warrior armed with a rifle would do as much damage as a Ranger with his bow, yet in this game it works like that

Elementalists equipped with daggers are quite good in close ranges.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in PvP

Posted by: Dhunis.9072

Dhunis.9072

Unfortunately there aren’t arenas and they probably wouldn’t work reallly well on bigger scale than 2vs2. Just Arathi basin like mode with various maps. If you played arenas on 2k+ ratings you will learn classes really fast in here as they are a lot easier to master. Whatever class you choose be also sure to check the class specific forums for more tips and tricks.

Ranked Arenas a.k.a. the New Hotjoin

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Sup guys I’ve been playing wow for the last 4 years and much like every other wow player here…it has gotten stale. I just wanted to know what class is similar to what I’m used to (I joined a feral druid), how competitive this game is (like I really liked arenas; is there anything like that here?), how everyone is enjoying the PvP in this game, and just the the little good to know things about the PvP ….like what is op or kitten…what should I expect

Also I don’t have anyone to play with so if there are any guilds here or just group of people looking for someone let me know!

Thanks

1) Get a build for your class. If you like thief, then S/D, SB is generally considered the current optimum. You can play with the traits and gear when you have some experience, but at the start just grab a build that has been vetted by others and run with it.

2) Learn the maps in Hot Join. By the time you get to r 7-8 you should have a reasonable idea of what the best travel routes are and where all of the secondary objectives are.

3) Make some friends and start playing in both solo and team que. Hot Joins teach bad habits, so the sooner you start in tourneys the better.

4) Be sure to DL/install some of the more popular VOIP programs (TS, Vent, Mumble, etc.). Voice communication is critical to success in team que and will give you opportunities to learn much faster.

If someone blows you up and you can’t figure out why, then don’t be afraid to ask (whisper them). In the beginning this might happen a fair amount because you need to learn to read some of the more critical animations and learn to use dodges appropriately.

Have fun.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Thanks

Stunlock warrior, fear spam necro, spirit ranger or s/d thief…have fun facerolling almost everything passing by with no effort.

in PvP

Posted by: Void.4239

Void.4239

Thanks

1 ) almost any warrior build with healing signet ( healing signet = Totally OP )
2 ) necro with staff and condition/fear based ( but these arent that OP anymore really)

those 2 are the faceroll builds atm with not a lot of downsides.

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

1) closest to druid is ELE. Ele is actually decent at Solo Q because its very fast, but struggles in team play in the current meta.

2) There is both solo Q and team Q arena. Also wvwvw you should check out (though you will need to pve up to have decent gear/level before doing wvwvw). IN spvp you can just jump right in.

3) do yourself a favor, when you pick a class post here asking for specs. Don’t try to figure it out on your own during the beginning.

in PvP

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Thanks

Id love to play with you! Feel free to add me to friends and whisper me whenever im online ;).

Also, if you consider trying out mesmer, I’d recommend joining the Official Mesmer Forum Guild , it’s a guild dedicated to teaching new players/having fun/doing mesmer-things. We have both EU and NA members, and you can whisper anyone in game to play/ask a question :). Representing is not required!

Feel free to post on the thread or PM/whisper me if youre interested!

edit: Im glad you found something you liked ^__^. Just for the record: like thief, Mesmer has high burst specs, stealth, style and mobility! I was so tunnelvisioned on the guild, I forgot what mesmer actually plays like :C. Oh well, its easy to try everything anyway :D

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

(edited by Alissah.9281)