sPvP-Why is it Unpopular?

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I’m rather curious about this because I want to get into it, but playing with friends and people I know is something I try to do because I just have so much more fun. The only PvP i can get my friends and any guildies of a guild that has 200 people is WvW roaming. They give me some of the worst excuses I can find to not do spvp. I always give them solutions but they just make up another excuse. Maybe I’m unlucky, but the other guilds and people I interact with seldom do sPvP. I’ve only met 1 person who is a avid s/tpvper in this game and he goes offline for long periods of time.

So tell me forum, why do you guys not play sPvP? I really wish more people would play it, it is saddening that I am in contact with 200+ people and I hardly see any of them want to do spvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Slow rank progression, large risk, virtually no reward.. The list could go on. Literally the only point to go past rank 20 is for essentially free 18-slot bags (20-slot at ranks 50+)

in PvP

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

It’s because there’s no tangible rewards outside of the sPvP realm. Heck, I’d hop into sPvP quite a bit if I could change glory into karma or gold.. Or even if I could transfer it into exp so I could level alts through sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

It’s because there’s no tangible rewards outside of the sPvP realm. Heck, I’d hop into sPvP quite a bit if I could change glory into karma or gold.. Or even if I could transfer it into exp so I could level alts through sPvP.

By the gods! This needs to happen!

in PvP

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I hate the idea of going into battle with crap-looking equipment—I’ve spent 1000 hours grooming in PvE, only to not have it in PvP? No thanks. I’d rather WvW, and I do.

That said, the achievement reward chests that I have recently received sparked some interest, but the number of items and kinds of items I’ve received aren’t what I have in PvE and they’re not the ones I want.

in PvP

Posted by: Caveth.3268

Caveth.3268

I hate the idea of going into battle with crap-looking equipment—I’ve spent 1000 hours grooming in PvE, only to not have it in PvP? No thanks. I’d rather WvW, and I do.

That said, the achievement reward chests that I have recently received sparked some interest, but the number of items and kinds of items I’ve received aren’t what I have in PvE and they’re not the ones I want.

That’s the exact way I feel about spvp. My characters look so embarrasingly bad there I just try to avoid it… Even with the new spvp items I’m getting from the chests, they aren’t what I want my characters to look like in the end.

SPvP also rewards nothing that can be used outside of SPvP, so it feels completely useless in terms of rewards. I might actually play it if I could use my PvE armor and also get real rewards for it that aren’t just more spvp skins.

Edit: Oh, and stealth. Stealth destroys any balance. There is no real counter to it and with the way it stacks in duration it is just broken…

(edited by Caveth.3268)

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

I would say this is mainly because the balance for this game has been absolutely horrible since head start. The vast majority of the pro players left at or around 3 months in when they realized Anet was never going to truly balance the game or add in multiple game mode functions for sPvP.

Now, sPvP is littered with “leet peeps” trying to make a name for themselves through twitch even though this game is long since dead in the sPvP market. While some of them actually get a few followers in the sPvP area the majority of them are only decent at best and really only do well because they are the very few left that have a 5 man team.

How many teams are actually left in Guild Wars 2 tPvP? I can only think of around 3 currently (that play regularly and claim to be “pros”). {Edit: This is aimed towards the NA side of the game, I don’t keep up with EU.}

There is hardly any skillful play when you can stealth the entire team and one shot the “bunker” of the other team. sPvP is, and will continue to be, a hot mess until Anet steps up and over hauls a lot of their core mechanics for this game.

Just to give some examples of what needs to be dealt with:
1) Stealth— way to easy of access in this game
2) AI reliance for some classes—-Spawn AI then run around in circles (lot of skill there)
3) Passive Play—Way to much passive effects for most classes (aka condition removal, etc).
4) No risk vs reward—- No reason to go melee when you can deal 10% less damage than someone in melee while still applying 5 conditions at 1200 range constantly.
5) Condition Spamming—- So much for powerful short term conditions
6) Boon Spamming— So much for those powerful short term boons
7) etc, etc, etc…

Any who, just my 2 cents.

(edited by Vanthian.9267)

in PvP

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

Bad scoring system, poorly implemented capping system, downed state in PvP, no rewards, limited stat combos, awful UI, and unfriendly uninviting player base. Add it all up and you have several builds based on the stand in circle cap super fast system that destroy everything else and making some classes almost unplayable. In other words, they did nothing right, and everything wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: Clockradio.3257

Clockradio.3257

It’s all about point capture. If they’d add a death match mode you’d see a lot more people in it.

Clockradio | [TSYM] | Sanctum of Rall
tsym.enjin.com

in PvP

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

I feel the opposite of you guys XD I hate going from spvp to PVE because I go from looking good to suddenly being level 8.

Seriously though – I absolutely love sPVP in this game. I just love rolling different classes, trying many builds, and love playing the matches. Maybe there aren’t great ‘rewards’ or not enough carrots on the stick, but I don’t even care. For myself, the game play itself is rewarding and I love every bit of it.

Of course, that’s not to say that I wouldn’t love to see more skills/rewards/achievements/features in PVP That’d just make what’s awesome, awesomer.

in PvP

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

i cant even use my special back items in pvp, unless i want them to forever only be locked into pvp. Wth? why do i only have a choice for one or the other thats kittened.,

I cant even use my skins ive earned in wvw/pve in pvp, i should be able to atleast use the skins.

So for my pvp needs i just go to WvW where the game isn’t split into two and my rewards can be used in the rest of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Cause its boring with only 1 victory type. The lack of tangible rewards doesn’t help either.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

With the gear split and no xp, it’s very hard to make time for it. Shame, because from what I’ve seen the gameplay isn’t bad.

in PvP

Deified.7520

I see. The problem that may arise with offering gear from PvE to sPvP, they also need to account for the existing PvP players. I know a few aren’t too happy about the achievement boxes and I’m sure letting PvErs bring in culture gear wouldn’t excite them. So if they do that they should offer gear from sPvP to PvE too, to be fair.

in PvP

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

I see. The problem that may arise with offering gear from PvE to sPvP, they also need to account for the existing PvP players. I know a few aren’t too happy about the achievement boxes and I’m sure letting PvErs bring in culture gear wouldn’t excite them. So if they do that they should offer gear from sPvP to PvE too, to be fair.

I don’t know if using pvp gear in pve is fair, as it seems the rewards are off, i do know being able to bring pve skins into pvp wouldn’t though, because it seems pve gear takes a lot more time / resources then vice versa.

As in if someone has ran arah enough times to get full arah gear, compared to someone who just recieved it from doing pvp, as armor in pvp doesn’t have harder dungeons to do or not to to recieve said skins.

example: Teir 1 human gear in pvp vs arah gear in pvp, arn’t they almost the same reward – wise? i may be wrong as much as im a pvp player, i just hate how pvp is divided from the rest of the game, and with wvw their i have no reason to go to pvp.

(Except when i cant find any non zerg v zerg battles in wvw, as about half the time i prefer smaller skrimishes like 20 v 20 )

(edited by Blissified.8369)

in PvP

Deified.7520

I don’t know if using pvp gear in pve is fair, as it seems the rewards are off, i do know being able to bring pve skins into pvp wouldn’t though, because it seems pve gear takes a lot more time / resources then vice versa.

As in if someone has ran arah enough times to get full arah gear, compared to someone who just recieved it from doing pvp, as armor in pvp doesn’t have harder dungeons to do or not to to recieve said skins.

example: Teir 1 human gear in pvp vs arah gear in pvp, arn’t they almost the same reward – wise? i may be wrong as much as im a pvp player, i just hate how pvp is divided from the rest of the game, and with wvw their i have no reason to go to pvp.

(Except when i cant find any non zerg v zerg battles in wvw, as about half the time i prefer smaller skrimishes like 20 v 20 )

Yeah that is true. Some of the armors are insanely easy to get, like the ones from ranked chest (I got a full set of inquest gear after a few days). However gear like culture gear is very high in rank. So the armors would probably be adjusted, though they still would need to find a way to make winning a ranked match important in some way. Maybe something less cosmetic for PvE, such as exp books, boosters, etc.

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

My problem is the single game mode. I am not a fan of conquest. If there was a single queue and different game modes, I would be all over it.

in PvP

Posted by: Amok Threeohthree.8501

Amok Threeohthree.8501

I’m missing the sort of tournament feeling that gw1 used to have with the hall of heros… also that it had an effect on the PvE world by opening up Underworld and forgotthename

Also in gw1 it was more diverse with all the different formats of fights you had along the way to HoH

in PvP

Posted by: MattyjRulz.2840

MattyjRulz.2840

I’ve always been a bad competetive player, except unreal tournament in the office xD also my internet’s not that great (oceanic player), and I really don’t see the point as far as rewards go, if I ever did go to the mists, it was to test builds on dummies.

in PvP

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I can’t tell you why anyone else doesn’t play it, but I can tell you why I don’t play it:

GW2 PvE is fresh and different to any other MMO on the market, imho.

GW2 WvWvW is fresh and different to any other MMO on the market, imho.

GW2 SPvP is.. indistinguishable from the battlegrounds added to WoW in June 2005, and in pretty much every MMO ever since.

in PvP

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I really just started playing spvp about two weeks ago and I’ve been playing gw2 since the head start.

These are the issue I’ve run into in just the last two weeks:

1) Team balance – 8 out of 10 games is a kitten stomping. One side usually completely dominates the other side and final scores usually look like 50-500.

2) Class balance – It’s bad. It’s easy to see what is really good in spvp and if you do not have one of those classes you’re gonna have a bad time. Like ripping your hair out and smashing your keyboard against the wall bad time.

3) No PvE > spvp gear transfers – I have multiple sets of cultural armor that took me hundreds of hours to get. I want to be able to use those in spvp please and thanks.

4) Class balance – it’s really bad.

5) Class balance – it’s really really bad.

6) Spvp Rank – assuming max rank is 80 (that’s how much I know about spvp) I can see that it will probably take me several hundred hours to reach. It took me less than 90 hours to get my first level 80 character. Seems like it takes far far to long to rank up in spvp. That’s not really an issue because it doesn’t make you stronger but it is disheartening to barely see the rank bar move when you win.

7) Pub stompers – these are the guys that go into pug games with 3 or 4 people all on voice coms and think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Like it takes all the skill in the world to beat a random team of players that are all using un-coordinated builds and un-coordinated equipment all the while they are using voice coms, and co-ordinated builds. TPvP is that away brotato —> try your luck there.

That about sums up my experience in the last two weeks. All in all I would say that my spvp experience in GW2 so far has been the most un fun thing I’ve done in GW2, or just about any other game I’ve ever played for that matter. Fix some of the issues above and that might change. That seems unlikely to happen though.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

in PvP

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I ‘like’ sPvP but I hardly ever play sPvP because:-

1) No rewards at all, so it feels like your wasting your time/getting further behind other players just doing PvE/WvW. Just nothing to aim for, no goal…

2) Matchmaking is AWFUL, games often end up 500 to 100, ie… a landslide which shows matchmaking is AWFUL.

3) The more they ‘balance’ the game, the worse/more unbalanced it gets.

4) Conquest is okay, but I far prefer maps like run the orb, kill the beasts, capture enemy base, ie…maps with more strategy/tactics.

5) As you climb the ‘ladder’, others players become more ‘elitist’, unfriendly and awful. Basically you don’t want to play a game with those people EVER…

in PvP

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Because its always been a tacked on mode that’s felt out of sync with the rest of the game. I dont think sPvP is bad, its just… pointless.

IMO they should have made battlegrounds linked with WvW instead – small portions of the world seen through the mists. For example Fort Trinity and its surroundings, 30 players on each side (WvW style). Or battle in a segment of Divinitys Reach, 10 players on each side. Open field combat in Plains Of Ashford 50 players on each side. ETC and so on.

sPvP is only there so that ANet can proclaim “E-SPORTS W000T!!!”. But nobody really want it.

in PvP

Posted by: SafeFatNoob.3156

SafeFatNoob.3156

Most people just play a few games to start off, and those are always boring.
By not having fun in their first few games, they don’t feel like playing again.

I’m safe. I’m fat. I’m a noob.

in PvP

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

It’s just bad.

Bad meta, bad mode (and there’s only one), bad rewards….

But hey, it’s Esportzzzz.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in PvP

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

sPvP is boring…
compared to pvp in GW1 it’s just terrible … and sad.

in PvP

Posted by: daimonos.9831

daimonos.9831

I grew up in PvE and have been branching out into WvW and enjoying that. What little PvP I do has been mainly to skill up for WvW. I might do more PvP if I could take any rewards out of it beyond Guild Influence.

in PvP

Posted by: Bjornen.5218

Bjornen.5218

I haven’t played it yet because it seems too “outside of the game” and it takes too long to enter into it for the first time.

In Wvw I started playing as soon as I entered: same gear, quick explanation about whats going on and a lot of fellas willing to help (as they are on the same team as yours).

In SPvp, there is a lot of differences from the usual Pve: you lose your gear, you have to try to understand how everything works and then you enter a match and usually you get destroyed for being in a pug team vs a good coordinated team.

I think it is not very user friendly and it has no real interest from “casual” Pvprs, because there is no good part on it, you don’t get real rewards and you don’t have chances to win, no matter how good you are, because you never get a good team.

in PvP

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

no rewards, waste of time.

“Time is money”

(edited by Charak.9761)

in PvP

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

3 reasons;

1-Very unbalanced (most important)
2-No tangible rewards that can be used outside the game
3-Very unbalanced (so important!!)

Let me start with 2:
What can you do with glory? Nothing. At least with karma/gold you can buy gems, and viceversa (minus the karma). Glory cant be used for anything but buying sPvP stuff which can only be shown in PvP. Also, to get certains skins you need to go outside, and usually if you dont have a lvl 80 with 50% map you cant do much outside. sPvP doesnt give exp, gold, karma, gems, skins.

Now 1 and 3.
I will start naming problems;

stealth (too broken of a mechanic, too accessible, uncounterable). Usually in other games stealth is bound to some sort of handicap, here its the contrary; it comes with boons, can be used in combat, multipurpose, cant be countered in anyways if the wearer has more than 4 neurons. Only “drawback” is a 2 seconds “window” before the 8k backstabs come again, oh, and you can block a backstab with aegis, it wont reveal the thief and they can cast it again 0.1 secs later.

Conditions; completely out of hand. Low risk, high rewards, have to burn 3 condition cleansings each on 40 secs cooldown to clean ALL cond vs a 8 secs CD condition spam that put ALL of them again. Usually comes tied with really hard to kill wearers.

Melee; unless you have stealth or a permanent reg/proct and wear D/D, they are pointless and borderline uselesss.

Ranged; specifically staff ele, you will need people to be sooooo distracted on that quaggan over there so that you dont blow in a sneeze. Most range sucks unless condition heavy, and some classes cant spare that.

Ai too strong; engis, necros, mesmers; throw a couple stuff, run around, rip glory.

Lastly; bunkers > damage. There arent true glass cannons, only ones that can “survive” are those with stealth (mesmer and thief) , everyone else dies trying to even penetrate 50% hp. Risk:reward is just not there.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

in PvP

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Boring maps, capping circles in small maps every single game is beyond crap, 8v8 isn’t enough, no rewards, can’t make money as you could in pve. I just can’t stand this mode… i want some attack/defend game mode, not capping circles all day every day

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in PvP

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

Because it is segregated, there is nothing to compel you to spvp unless you personally enjoy it (like myself) but i don’t buy the chests as i’m convinced there going to allow you to convert the points in the future, probably to character experience.

I’ll use the legendary as an extreme example: you spend 200 hours farming, crafting and finally you have it but you go into Spvp and you look like a hobo.

who wants to spend there time in spvp where it has no bearing on anything you have earned, more over there is more build types and much more diversity in WvW right down to the food, there is much more to consider and all the freedom to build around, why pigeon hole yourself?

Spvp needs an overhaul.

as for balance Fortus right now its pretty good considering, mesmers are only REALLY strong to people who don’t know how to fight them, recently they have been hit too, Engi’s are ok, more than beatable but i think there in a good place, Necro’s…..mmm pushing it a little but you know what run with condi removal and Vuala!

bunkers…..if you use stealth in a bunker build, generally used to hold points you will gradually loose the point if the enemy has a brain, by the time they have stealth off trying to save themselves or screw you over you are loosing the point, while in stealth you cannot effect the capture or defense of a point, so dont try to penetrate 50% swap weapons (thats right CARRY whats available to you!) get some defenses on, outlast them for the cap, hell you will at least slow the enemy teams points down a little even if you do die while its contested.

stealth is not OP, it is controllable, see a thief stealth? pull, knock back and predict it, really not that difficult, shadow refuge 90% of the time is countered now by the means i mentioned in any team worth their salt, a mesmer stealths you wait, or try and predict what hes going to do normally its when there in trouble that they stealth or they feel they need to regain something in the fight, not only that there on extremely long CD’s so not that accessible at all.

in PvP

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

I’d play sPvP if I were allowed to use my PvE gear. This is why I play WvW.

in PvP

Posted by: Zedd.8239

Zedd.8239

I think sPvP is actually a lot of fun when you have decent match ups. Or rather, IF You get decent matchups. Usually it’s a clusterkitten whether you get a halfway decent team. Most matches are so horribly mismatched and one sided that calling it “competitive play” is like calling a cat kitten “fairly appetizing.” It isn’t fun for either team to dominate or be dominated in such a way. To make matters worse, you get slapped with terrible glory rewards, which can’t be used for much of anything. It’s pure random chance whether you end up on a good team, an adequate team, or a terrible team.

fellyn and Meglobob summed up most of the problems I have with sPvP in general. The reward system sucks. A lot. I recently opened my first monthly PvP achievement chest and ended up with a few glory boosters, a few arcane slivers, and some salvage kits. And that was it. Gee, thanks. That was completely worth it… In order to unlock halfway decent skins that aren’t from the Hall of Monuments rewards or the gem store, you need to grind for hundreds of hours to increase your rank. And even when you finally have a decent rank to unlock the gear you want, it’s random whether you actually get it. How is that remotely rewarding? On top of that, PvE rewards don’t carry into PvP at all. I get that players should be on equal footing stat-wise, but if I spent 100 hours farming the necessary gold and resources to craft tier 3 human armor, surely that must translate into PvP somehow, right? Certainly there are better ways besides skins to distinguish player prestige (or lack thereof) in sPvP?

In short, sPvP is a great beginning to structured competitive play but multiple systems need major revamps for it to hold my interest in the long term. It needs a better matching system that takes a look at player ranks/statistics, rewards that are actually rewarding, more game modes besides conquest, a better UI for setting up/joining matches, and an easier way to equip your characters with gear.

GW1 had an outstanding gearing panel that you could use to equip your characters. You could even save build and gear combos that you liked. This kind of thing is desperately needed in GW2. There were a lot of things wrong with PvP in GW1, but it also did a lot of things right. I think in order for PvP to be improved in GW2, a closer examination of what worked in GW1 is desperately needed.

TL;DR: sPvP is a great foundation for what could become a brilliant form of competitive play. But as it currently stands it desperately needs a better matchmaking system, rewards that are actually rewarding, a better UI for gearing characters, and more game modes. Those changes would be some great first steps. Right now the mode is just too broken and pointless to be worth a long term time investment unless you happen to enjoy the play style.

(edited by Zedd.8239)

in PvP

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

When the game launched actually people we’re focused on PvP and it was swarming with tournaments and premade games. After a while people got bored of the same game mode and almost no rewards, In fact GW2 was advertised as an e-sport PvP growing game im sure some dont know/remember this but it’s true and you can find it online.

Gotta add to the list the fact that the community is uber casual nowdays and focuses on achiv. grinds , cof grinds and finally some good WvW.

We need more maps with bigger layouts , different game modes , better matchmaking ( even rank matchmaking ). PvP needs alot of rework to get people back into it everyone left it because it was pretty much abandoned content wise.

Hope this solves your mistery.

play hard , go pro.

(edited by offence.4726)

in PvP

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

only reason I go there now is for achievements daily (4 points whoo………) and testing a build , half-badly, since you cant get max stats you would like, use food, mix and match stats….

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Desmond.5396

Desmond.5396

Because it’s nothing like PvP in GW1…

in PvP

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

I’m not a pro PvP gamer by any means, but why do you guys want rewards so much or even to bring your equipment from PvE over? First time I hopped into PvP when I was low level, I thought I looked way better than in PvE, personally, and I was happy to get to see what the future of my character held with all my actual gameplay-related stuff unlocked, like skills and traits.

As an example of a game that isn’t a MMO, but is one of the top tier esports games out there, let’s look at Starcraft II. Cutting it down to basics, the PvP mode is essentially its own game separate from the campaign, and you don’t get to take whatever you’ve researched or unlocked from the campaign into it. No complaints from the players there, and the only real “rewards” you get from playing it are climbing the ranks to face more skilled players (alongside some irrelevant unit skins/emblems, I believe).

It’s also mostly the same game mode for competitive matches, if I’m not terribly mistaken (if I am, whoops, I don’t play the multi much since I just fool with the free demo/trial version). If nothing else, the PvP in GW2 does definitely need what others have mentioned here, balancing and I’d say more modes, but rewards? Victory should be adequate, if you ask me, and if it ever got to esports level, victory and actual money would be awesome if you’re that skilled.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

in PvP

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

Just for the sake of sharing, here are my thoughts about it:

• Battles are way too fast. Almost no strategy at all, just do your skill rotation, and repeat.
  • No build diversity. Metagame has barely changed since September.
  • Only one type of map. Different flavours, but in the end is always the same.
  • It is not Guild oriented. There is no prestige from being in a PvP guild. And there is no GvG (but this has its own point).
  • Rewards. Rank can be train-farmed so its useless, skins are completely random.
  • GvG.
  • GvG again.
  • More GvG.

And that’s it for me…

in PvP

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

I’m not a pro PvP gamer by any means, but why do you guys want rewards so much or even to bring your equipment from PvE over? First time I hopped into PvP when I was low level, I thought I looked way better than in PvE, personally, and I was happy to get to see what the future of my character held with all my actual gameplay-related stuff unlocked, like skills and traits.

As an example of a game that isn’t a MMO, but is one of the top tier esports games out there, let’s look at Starcraft II. Cutting it down to basics, the PvP mode is essentially its own game separate from the campaign, and you don’t get to take whatever you’ve researched or unlocked from the campaign into it. No complaints from the players there, and the only real “rewards” you get from playing it are climbing the ranks to face more skilled players (alongside some irrelevant unit skins/emblems, I believe).

It’s also mostly the same game mode for competitive matches, if I’m not terribly mistaken (if I am, whoops, I don’t play the multi much since I just fool with the free demo/trial version). If nothing else, the PvP in GW2 does definitely need what others have mentioned here, balancing and I’d say more modes, but rewards? Victory should be adequate, if you ask me, and if it ever got to esports level, victory and actual money would be awesome if you’re that skilled.

yes and no, personally i don’t mind having separate skins for each but as it IS an MMO i think the look of your charcater should stick if you so chose.

SCII is a great game, very fun to watch but the meta sticks in that too it was the same for almost a year in the first run, also same with League of Legends, now what anyone says this is THE most popular and currently best esport out there, SCII is better to watch imho but League took elements from both building a character and an RTS standpoint and got itself a winner…

however none of that matters as this IS an MMO, Anet have said well ok the DID say they wanted to get into esports, they have the elements in place and Spvp has seperate balancing they just need as everyone said more incentive a clear team and personal ranking system (keep the personal one now, its a nice flavour) but which can be viewed in game.

allow use of food, come on its fantastic! and can be changed in combat?! Awesome, just awesome.

Enable GvG rewards / Groups, some unique items with guild emblems or something, hell take Aions Guild Sigil/emblem system that was the best as you could create you own, very unique.

GvG! GvG PvP is just begging to be introduced it would be fantastic and a few in the guild i’m in would love it, WvW would still be my fave but w/e.

Allow use of FOOD!

in PvP

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

If I wanted e-sports, I’d play a MOBA.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

For me I find the fact that there is only one game type to get very boring very fast.

If they added a capture the flag, a deathmatch, or some other mode I’d be much more inclined to play more.

in PvP

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Slow rank progression, large risk, virtually no reward.. The list could go on. Literally the only point to go past rank 20 is for essentially free 18-slot bags (20-slot at ranks 50+)

I got to rank 14 and just couldn’t stand the thief gank-fest any longer. I didn’t know about the bags though. Maybe I can handle 6 more levels. We’ll see.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

It’s simple.

People don’t like playing things they lose or play bad in.

Half the people I know in hot joins complain that thieves, and even WARRIORS are overpowered.

in PvP

Posted by: Kaputsid.5169

Kaputsid.5169

“So tell me forum, why do you guys not play sPvP?”

Pre-cooked builds
Erratic targeting
Static UI
No energy management
No body block
Inconsequential team position
Over exaggerated stealth with no counter
Skills bugs
Faulty camera in corners
Huge difference for toons size

No way i’ll get my pvp fix in a JP oriented game ^^

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

The funny thing is, thieves are underpowered in tournaments. They are incredibly squishy and immediately gets peeled off during an attack with cripples, knockbacks, fears and more.

in PvP

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

pve and wvw world is huge… pvp world is just one lobby..
i have limited playtime.. pve itself has a huge amount of grinding and pve by itself could occupy me forever.!!
each has its own skin.. so if I have to chose,.. I chose pve.! + i can’t bring any rewards from pvp to pve or vice versa.. looking at it this way, +my limited timeplay, I see pvp as a waste of time!!

in PvP

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I play spvp, I like conquest, though I don’t see why you don’t get gold/xp/achievement points in spvp.

Anet, just retoactively convert all the ranks people have earnt into achi points/gold/xp per level, equivalent to the amount of time spent in pve. (as gold bags/karma drinks so you have a choice of levelling your pve character or not)

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

(edited by emikochan.8504)

in PvP

Posted by: florence.1674

florence.1674

Unless this question is directed at pvpers who don’t go into sPvP, the simplest and most common answer to why sPvP is unpopular is…..

It’s because it’s PvP.

WvW law #1: nobody in WvW can count.

in PvP

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Am I the only one who wouldn’t be excited for death match mode? The point of death match is to kill people, but you can do that already… At least in point capture, the map means something. In death match it wouldn’t really matter where you fight. I would rather they add some capture the flag or base defense or something more interesting.