sPvP-Why is it Unpopular?

in PvP

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

-no actual rewards (= no gold). the PvP-version of my char already looks good, so theres no incentive to grind for better skins. i have no idea what to do with the glory. and grinding dozens of levels for a pvp-exclusive stomp-animation? no thanks.

-capturing points becomes boring rather fast and i really dislike Spirit Watch.

-limited stat-combinations (im not talking about lower stats overall, but about the possibility to mix stat-combos like in PvE (50/50 PTV/Knights or Rabid/Carrion, just as an example)

-i would love to watch some competitive high-level tournaments, so i can see what is currently going on in the pvp-scene, to get some inspiration etc.. but nowhere in the game is any information about when these occur and how i can watch them (or i havent found them yet). and i cba to use twitch or other external stuff and frankly, i shouldnt have to. i have the game-client; i should be able to see that kind of stuff IN the game.

-From what i’ve seen, the majority of organised teams consists of 1Guardian, 1Mesmer, 1 Ele. the 2 remaining slots are shared between the other 5 classes in the game. That class balance looks kinda broken. But as i said, i havent seen that many high-lvl-games, so no idea if that was just a coincidence or not.

i sometimes do pvp for the daily tho since it can be a lot faster than the PvE-version.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

in PvP

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Lack of Class Balance.. and they want to go E sport with this. hahah too funny.

They blew their chance at e-sport by launching it in the state it was in. I think the people who really wanted to PvP are long gone…

in PvP

Posted by: Arcanis.2437

Arcanis.2437

3vs3 Arenas
1vs1 Duels

5v5 and 8v8 is just a kittening mess.

Untill we get Arenas or Duels me and my friends are not touching PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Insanebolt.7392

Insanebolt.7392

I’m just playing it for the Achievement Points :P

I think it works out to about an extra 160 a month from daily/monthly and the daily only usually takes three matches. This also seconds to grinding out a cool title very slowly which I like since I play WvW mostly now.

I am so Drowsi
[LO]
SoR for Life

in PvP

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

I think that SPvP needs to be more diverse. More play types (deathmatch, capture the flag, etc.), bigger maps so players have time to communicate, not just run from point to point. Normal experience points also should be gained so we can progress our character thru SPvP, more rewards.

But one thing that is wrong for me is that SPvP is not at all connected to other types of gameplay – PvE, WvW, Dungeons. It’s separate and gives nothing and receives nothing from mentioned aspects of GW2. If I could spend some time in SPvP, gain something and then use it in WvW for example, I’d return to SPvP regularly.

in PvP

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Perhaps you should have posted this in the PvP subforum as well for a different reaction. PvErs have a generally sour view toward sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: mmzn.8201

mmzn.8201

I’m a 90% PvP player, maybe 95%, my first char I leveled 65~80 at WvW.

But I spend most of the time in WvW, lately all the time. sPvP needs a rework asap. No rewards outside sPvP, only skins is useless. Need to get gold or something.

The current meta is horrible =/

in PvP

Posted by: Drevik.2408

Drevik.2408

I would play sPvP more if there were other options besides Capture Points. I absolutely hate that mechanic. The best way to win a sPvP match is to avoid PvP entirely. WTH?

in PvP

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

ONE WORD:
*MATCHMAKING. *

…. same exact thing that KILLED CODEX too and Anet didn’t learn their lesson then either. It just didn’t have any REAL MATCHMAKING the first month this game went live. Therefore most entry-level players gave up.

I’m still astounded everytime I see a new MMO or e-sport wannabe game launch without proper ELO and Ladder and Matchmaking systems that separate Guild Teams from Pub teams. Tribes failed hard there. Mechwarrior Online failed even Harder and that POS is on life support right now with less players actually playing it than any previous major MW game since Ghost Bear’s Legacy. … I mean for crying out loud, even APB actually had some kind of ELO system based into its mission ranking system YET that game was relaunched on a shoe-string budget & has been the laughing stock of F2P games ever since. …so what the hell is everyone else’s excuse??

I could go on here… but it’s already been pointed out to Anet that they have a serious problem in this area ever since GvG first started floundering and attracting fewer and fewer newcomers. …and that was… what, 3 months after Nightfall came out??

Perhaps you should have posted this in the PvP subforum as well for a different reaction. PvErs have a generally sour view toward sPvP.

B/c they can’t ever find Tiered fights against other newcomers, DUH.
Do I have to invoke RA & Costume Brawl Tournament promotion here?
They’re not jaded b/c they love ONLY PvE and never want to be in PvP.
They’re Jaded b/c sPvP is full of rank snobs who’d rather farm newbs than mingle with them. This is one of the only really skill-based communities to ever exist that has this Souring Viewpoint to begin with. Hell on Guru they used to ban you for even mentioning Rank Elitism. The oldschool portion of this community is one of the Worst PvP communities in the HISTORY OF GAMING and they refuse to admit it even though some of them also play other PvP games that are much much better and more supportive.

…Also it doesn’t help that sometime during Factions, the game’s PvE community magically changed from being the horrible BattleNet-Tier standard it started out as, to one of the best in RPG’ing ranking up there with DAOC, COH, BG, and several other very inclusive RPG’s. IoW: PvP started facing some real uphill competition for popularity.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in PvP

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I would say this is mainly because the balance for this game has been absolutely horrible since head start. The vast majority of the pro players left at or around 3 months in when they realized Anet was never going to truly balance the game or add in multiple game mode functions for sPvP.

Now, sPvP is littered with “leet peeps” trying to make a name for themselves through twitch even though this game is long since dead in the sPvP market. While some of them actually get a few followers in the sPvP area the majority of them are only decent at best and really only do well because they are the very few left that have a 5 man team.

How many teams are actually left in Guild Wars 2 tPvP? I can only think of around 3 currently (that play regularly and claim to be “pros”). {Edit: This is aimed towards the NA side of the game, I don’t keep up with EU.}

There is hardly any skillful play when you can stealth the entire team and one shot the “bunker” of the other team. sPvP is, and will continue to be, a hot mess until Anet steps up and over hauls a lot of their core mechanics for this game.

Just to give some examples of what needs to be dealt with:
1) Stealth— way to easy of access in this game
2) AI reliance for some classes—-Spawn AI then run around in circles (lot of skill there)
3) Passive Play—Way to much passive effects for most classes (aka condition removal, etc).
4) No risk vs reward—- No reason to go melee when you can deal 10% less damage than someone in melee while still applying 5 conditions at 1200 range constantly.
5) Condition Spamming—- So much for powerful short term conditions
6) Boon Spamming— So much for those powerful short term boons
7) etc, etc, etc…

Any who, just my 2 cents.

while i feel that some issues definately need to be balanced, this thread talks about pvp not being popular. The things you have beef with have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with popularity. The truth is popularness and appeal dont come from having a fine tuned game thats super balanced. The top 2 % of players dont make a game popular.
Lol is extremely popular, it is also regularly unbalanced. Even looking at fighting games, Marvel vs Capcom is hardly an example of great fighting game balance and design, but it is pretty popular in tournament watching, mostly because its fun to watch, has great charachters, thrilling moments and very good shout casting.

long story short, popularity of spvp being low is probably due to: being too seperated from the pve progression. (IE nothing you get in pve translates, and little you do in SPVP progresses your account)
and spvp not being something low level people feel they can get into easily. AKA newbs get pwned, PVE doesnt prepare you even an inkling for sPVP.

in PvP

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

I’ve been playing for 8 months and have only gone into sPvP to check out the lobby. There’s no incentive for me to go in. Anything I do there does not carry over into PVE/WvW. The only thing I’m missing so far in PvE/WvW is the ability to 1v1 duel. I want to be able to teach my casual friend to do better in WvW using the gear he is actually wearing rather than the premade gear he’s given in sPvP. I finally entered an arena the other day to try my hand at 1v1 duels against other players. It seems like all the maps are the same conquest points type and small. Players are just using these conquest maps to duel rather than there being a dedicated arena. Reminds me of shooter fragfest maps that I used to play in UT and Q3, which is not really what I want in an MMO. There seems to be room for arenas in the PvE world since I know there is one in Black Citadel and there’s a disabled gate for one in Rata Sum.

(edited by kokocabana.8153)

in PvP

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I’m rather curious about this because I want to get into it, but playing with friends and people I know is something I try to do because I just have so much more fun. The only PvP i can get my friends and any guildies of a guild that has 200 people is WvW roaming. They give me some of the worst excuses I can find to not do spvp. I always give them solutions but they just make up another excuse. Maybe I’m unlucky, but the other guilds and people I interact with seldom do sPvP. I’ve only met 1 person who is a avid s/tpvper in this game and he goes offline for long periods of time.

So tell me forum, why do you guys not play sPvP? I really wish more people would play it, it is saddening that I am in contact with 200+ people and I hardly see any of them want to do spvp.

Two reasons:

1) Have not found any PvP (1v1 or small group) in an MMO that satisfactorily provides the kind of 360 degree/aerial combat (premade tactical choice of gear/fighter type) that an FPS does incredibly better.

2) When playing an MMO, I prefer to actually do large scale strategic battles (DAoC/Warhammer Online style), that binds/builds communities (while using personalized/customized gear/fighter type e.g. spec/build.)

FPS and MMO RvR (WvW) provide 2 very different playstyles.

FPS games generally tend to do their playstyle best.

Some MMO’s do community-oriented PvP very well.

I don’t like to mix the 2 genres in one game. (One or both of the playstyles usually suffers.)

PS: kokocabana posted while I was creating this post. I agree.

PPS: My guild agrees as well.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

in PvP

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

The problem is that anet stupidly thought they could balance pve and pvp as the same skill, with no divider between.

in PvP

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I don’t care for the single amulet. I feel pigenholed, constrained, stuck, stuffed, …you get the idea. I don’t usually do all or nothing for my gear.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in PvP

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Guild Wars 1 PvP was popular because it was varied, skill-intensive, and interesting. Guild Wars 2 PvP is unpopular because control point maps are generally unpopular and all PvP maps are control point with some gimmick tossed in to make them feel “different.”

The number of games (as in all games, not just MMORPGs) that really pulled off control point style PvP can probably be counted on one hand.

Rewards have almost nothing to do with it, as Guild Wars 1 PvP was actually less rewarding, and yet more popular, even with a smaller community.

in PvP

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

Most of you are wrong. PvP is unpopular due to the crappy capture points game mode. There is simply not much gameplay depth similar to its predecessor “Guild Wars 1”, (Guild versus Guild), other than the interactions between opponents in combat. It looks like it may be too late to save Guild Wars 2 sPvP—the game is pigeon-holed by the lack of trinity, unless of course Arenanet can pull off a miracle, which most likely won’t happen because they are too busy trying to satisfy WoW idiots with Ascended Gear. They simply do not know where their priorities lie—they do not care about the gamer and have deviated from their course—it’s all about the money now.

For people wanting PvP rewards… you’re playing the wrong game. The reward should be intense and exciting gameplay. Go play WoW please. Although, I wonder why we can’t use our PvE look in sPvP—completely dumb.

Honestly, the problem doesn’t lie much with game balance—it’s the game modes. I feel that with proper game modes with varying amounts of strategy and splits, the game balance will work itself out. Of course game balance will be garbage when you’re standing in AoE on a capture point…

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Pray For Kosmos.5849)

in PvP

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’m rather curious about this because I want to get into it, but playing with friends and people I know is something I try to do because I just have so much more fun. The only PvP i can get my friends and any guildies of a guild that has 200 people is WvW roaming. They give me some of the worst excuses I can find to not do spvp. I always give them solutions but they just make up another excuse. Maybe I’m unlucky, but the other guilds and people I interact with seldom do sPvP. I’ve only met 1 person who is a avid s/tpvper in this game and he goes offline for long periods of time.

So tell me forum, why do you guys not play sPvP? I really wish more people would play it, it is saddening that I am in contact with 200+ people and I hardly see any of them want to do spvp.

because professions were cheaply designed thus making combat boring as all get out. combat fun factor on a scale of ten is about 4 currently. the only redeeming value to pressing #1 a lot, dodge rolling, healing and managing limited everything and cool downs is that we are allowed to move while we press these few buttons.

summary of the above in three words…
cheap, limited and boring.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in PvP

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

Most comments in this thread demonstrate how little some players know about sPvP. Complaints about stealth? Terrible class balance? Limited attributes compared to PvE?
Limited attributes are a good thing. In WvW it’s possible to reach extreme levels on some attributes such as 120% +crit damage. In PvP the maximum + crit damage is capped around 60%. The limitation reduces the role of luck and takes insane burst out of the game. Another problem is the dominance of bufffood: +40% condition duration makes a world of a difference. The additional attributes and bufffood ruin the balance in WvW. The limited attributes make sPvP the best balanced mode of the game.

The sPvP community is not visible. There’s no skill lag and no blob. Around 50.000 players on EU, probably the same number on NA, so 100.000 in total played at least 10+ tournament matches since the implementation of leaderboards. Would you call that unpopular?

This is why they should have made a middle ground like food buffs only in pve and not in wvw / pvp, ballence the attributes so they work in both pvp AND pve maybe have the 100percent crit actually only be 80 percent of what it is right, now, or just use the wvw stat style without food buffs in pvp, theirs counters to high burst and ive played some 10v10 and 20v20 in wvw (was structured) we even do 4v4 and 1v1 and it still seems decently ballenced if you take out food.

Or ATLEAST let skins earned from pve be used in pvp, ESPECIALLY special items, so i earned my shatterer wings, youre telling me i can either use it in pvp or pve . so max 50 percent of the game ican use somthing? BS.

But thats just an extreme example i want to bring my arah /cof/ta/rubicon/t3 mixxed set on my guard into spvp heck i earned some of the upgrades and pieces of that set in the other form of pvp in the game! (wvw) even if it was just the skins from pve why not?

Want to keep pve players still happy? make some PVP EARNED ONLY skins (that work in pve also) so that pvp players can still show some prestiege, then make some PVE ONLY AND PVP/PVE MIX required skins for the people that play pve or play both pve and pvp types so their can be a type earned from doing a bit of both too.

Also other pvp unique things that can be used in pve would be allowed

so with my suggestion we have:

All the current pve / pvp armor skins that can earned in both and used and worn in both

Then we have pvp specific skins that can only be earned in pvp but player can WEAR anywere

Then we have skins you can only earn in pve (not in game yet) but you can wear in both game types

the new game type earned – specific armors are just to show prestige for your game type, any regular new armors will be usable in both gametypes, but to make the pvp players happy giving them somthing unique on or two sets (more later) can be pvp specific same thing for pve players. but still 95 percent of the skins (and all current skins) will be usable for all.

i think this would be a nice first step into making spvp as good as gw1 pvp,
next we need more gametypes, a random team type, and a planned team type of match, and more. ( i posted more on thiss on my first post on this page, this morning go back to read)

(edited by Blissified.8369)

in PvP

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

PvE players don’t like it because there’s no PvE rewards.
PvP players don’t like it because it’s extremely imbalanced and conquest gets extremely dull very fast.

in PvP

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Capture the point isn’t as fun as deathmatches, GvG, capture the flag or base siege (like fort aspenwood) ;/ Probably my least played type of match in most games, including TF2 as well.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in PvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

My GW Alliance had a lot of people who really enjoyed GW PvP. They tried PvP in GW2 a few times, then faded away into the other games channels in Mumble. Why? Because they found PvP in those other games were more fun to play. There’s a lot of competition out there. GW2’s PvE game offers a lot that other MMO’s don’t. What does GW2 sPvP offer that’s competitive with some of the better PvP games on the market? When you answer that question, you’ll likely find that the potential player base for sPvP is quite a bit smaller than it could have been with different design.

in PvP

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I don’t even know what “sPvP” is. I just solo roam in WvW for PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Erika.8256

Erika.8256

You can get “some rewards” – bags and dyes.

As for the reasons of not playing, there are several:
1. Tpvp system is not set in place, solo queue versus team queue is no different, causing unbalance
2. Only one game mode – while it was fun and dandy, it becomes tiresome to always do the same thing. Whenever i see a patch releasing a new map, I tend to go “oh way, another capture map”. I understand why this happens, which leads me to point 3.
3. Balance issues – lack of versatile builds for many classes, “rotation” spam for quite a few, not much of a “what should i pick” questions arising

To move on to cosmetic and rank issues:
1. Grind grind grind….
2. Rank means nothing
3. Gear is random, crafting is bullkitten
4. Cannot use the skins from PvE freely in PvP

And the list can go on…not to mention the name of the game is wrong – you don’t have GvG, instead…well..you have…yah..nevermind.

I still play from time to time, mostly for the daily.

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

• downstate – what the kitten is it doing in PVP? gamebreakingly unfun and annoying
  • it’s boring – map design is boring, game type is boring, how is standing in a circle as a main objective fun?
  • lack of depth/diversity, feels shallow. builds are way too predictable and traits don’t make enough of a difference to make the gameplay varied and interesting.
  • the UI is bad. visually noisy and unconfigurable. the most important info is tiny.
downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in PvP

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

• downstate – what the kitten is it doing in PVP? gamebreakingly unfun and annoying
  • it’s boring – map design is boring, game type is boring, how is standing in a circle as a main objective fun?
  • lack of depth/diversity, feels shallow. builds are way too predictable and traits don’t make enough of a difference to make the gameplay varied and interesting.
  • the UI is bad. visually noisy and unconfigurable. the most important info is tiny.

Wooh! Go opinionated responses that say it like it’s fact!

in PvP

Posted by: Makeshift Prime.1982

Makeshift Prime.1982

Is it really that unpopular? Maybe tPvP. But whenever I solo queue up for tPvP, I spectate hot-join matches and there are quite a few going on at any one time. But I do wish it were more popular.

The posters who regularly play sPvP have already written most of what I had in mind coming into this thread but I will say all these complaints of class balance is shocking to me and I play an engineer.

in PvP

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The overall problem of PvP is that GW2 intentionally was created as a PvE-Game. Then they added some sort of PvP to sell it under purposes of E-Sports in mind and as an AAA-PVP title game. See the problem?

Lol. Yet another one of these cookie cutter posts.

“GW2 was made as a [choose pvp or pve here] game and so [opposite of first choice box] suffers because the devs only care about [first choice box].”

It’s all bull**** folks, and it’s bad for ya. – George Carlin

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I don’t sPvP that much.I do dailies and the monthly,
and that’s it.
I only play hot joins,and that is frustrating enough,
so I avoid tournaments.
Here’s some problems I see in this game mode.
-Player behaviour.The amount of crap that
goes on in the PvP chat is unbelievable.
From the “yar all f€&@@ nubs” to the “ez meat baites”
to the “stfups”,it just seems that the worst of the worst
are playing this game mode.
-Class balance.Anet is trying to balance classes for all
3 game modes,and that is fundamentally very very wrong.
It fails to provide any serious balancing in sPvP,thus letting
down the devoted PvPers,and discouraging new players
from getting into PvP.You can’t balance a PvP game,
especially one that has esports ambitions,based on
PvE and dungeons.
-DPS.Tones of it.It is becoming this games monomania.
It takes the life out of everything,it makes encounters
only a few seconds long,and it negates the necesity
for any kind of tactical thinking.
Just go in,mash your buttons,do more dps than
your oponent,and win.
-Gimmicks.Being. transformed into a moa and losing
all of your class functionality.Now…that is some
good esports stuff.Of course I could go and
ltp MOA.This seems to be the fastest way to rage quit.
-Loot.PvPers maybe are ok with that,and even I
am ok with the PvP loot system but,you can’t convince
PvE players to even consider PvP, if none of the loot they
gain in PvP can be used to progress at least some of their
PvE goals.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in PvP

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

This goes on in every pvp format game ever. It’s called trash talking and it’s built in to the human race. Best you can do is turn off your chat. There is no shortage of scum bags with dirty mouths playing video games.

your oponent,and win.

This is true for PvE where the problem is really about the lack of encounter mechanics and too many tank/spank bosses. However, there’s a reason people run bunker builds in PvP.

Are there no hard CC elite skills in other games?

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Can u transfer it back to General discution plz ? :P
We need to hear ppls opinion that dont PvP or dont come near the PvP forums :P

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

Whoever the kitten was that moved this from General Discussions to the sPvP Forums please move it back. Everyone who reads this section of the forums knows why sPvP is unpopular: Conquest Only game modes (Not as Much Fun as HA or GvG), Limited Team Compositions and Structure (DPS, Bunker, Roamer etc), Poor Balance, etc…..

It was refreshing though to see why sPvP isn’t popular among the PvE focused players in GW2.
Move it back

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

This goes on in every pvp format game ever. It’s called trash talking and it’s built in to the human race. Best you can do is turn off your chat. There is no shortage of scum bags with dirty mouths playing video games.

Still this acts very much as a deterrent for new players to stick with this game mode.
Not for me,because I am very much aware of that,and I expect it,but for newcomers
that don’t have a thing for being trashed when they are trying to have fun in a game.

your oponent,and win.

This is true for PvE where the problem is really about the lack of encounter mechanics and too many tank/spank bosses. However, there’s a reason people run bunker builds in PvP.

Bunker build in GW2 is like a DPS tank in any other game.
And given the amount of DPS available,I don’t see why anyone would
choose this path.
I’ve been running heavy classes for all my years in MMOs but
I am much more successful in this game when I run my class(any class)
for what it is really designed to do.And that is DPS.
It is like TankSupport/Heal is intentionally handicapped and can go only
that far,but DPS is allowed to reach it’s full potential,and still leave
room for survivability.
Trying to tank or heal/support in a game that is designed around DPS
is futile.It can be done but Tank/Heal/Support will always be sub par.

Are there no hard CC elite skills in other games?

Not ones that make you play as a bird.

There is hexes and transformation,but at least you cannot
be dps ed when transformed.And you don’t get to play
a bird class that you know nothing about.
When the spirit map was first put in the game,
there were some players suggesting that the orb
carrier should have a special set of abilities,same for all
classes,to level the playing field.
The devs said that they didn’t want players to
have to use abilities they don’t normally use with their classes
and rejected the idea.
But that is exactly what they do when they force players to
play the MOA class.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

(edited by Aenaos.8160)

in PvP

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

I PvP only rarely, and it’s usually just to test out weird builds without spending gold on them.

I generally avoid sPvP for a few reasons. They are as follows:

-I feel like I missed the boat. I queue for a match and get people far more skilled than I am. I end up feeling like I’m a burden to my team because I die constantly.

-I feel like I’m not in the PvP “clique.” I hit hotjoin, get in a match, and quickly see it’s being dominated by 3 people on one side that are in the same guild and basically roaming the map and focusing down everyone in their path.

-I feel like I’m in the wrong place. I found out only recently that most sPvP regulars consider hotjoin to be a terrible waste of time, and recommend that I try solo queue tourneys for a more organized and less zergy experience. There is nothing to indicate this difference to a new player. I avoided tourneys because the description of the game mode seemed like it was for pre-built teams.

So, there you have it. This one game mode makes me feel totally behind the curve in every single way, and there’s not really any easy to find resources for me to consult to see if I’m “doing it wrong.” It’d be one thing if ANet put some flavor text on an NPC that explained what a bunker or roamer was, or told me what far-point or home-point meant. Even if they labelled hotjoins as a “Glory Farming” mode, just so new players know that it’s only there to farm points and otherwise doesn’t mean anything, would be great.

People play video games to have fun. They don’t play games to be farmed by more experienced players, feel ignorant, and get nothing out of it.

The mode could easily be improved with a little work, and this wouldn’t require that much coding. Just communicating basic information, and having sensible instructions readily available, would do wonders for participation. Otherwise it just looks like this game mode is something ANet has completely forgotten about.

in PvP

Posted by: conflict.6539

conflict.6539

Well if you play certain classes, like say ele, you will hate it because with the constant nerfing of the class, and the buffing of others they are kitten near useless in spvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

A thing that bugs me is the fact that you do not have the exact same weapon and stat bonus diversity as in PvE. Meaning you cannot make fine tuned builds.

sPVP is kinda like a operating table. All clinical, clean. But the tools used for the “surgery” is a mix of sledgehammers and crowbars. No fine tuned specialist stuff. Just a bunch of chunky brutal tools that firmly places you within this or that.

Another CORE issue, is that sPVP and PvE/WvW is not SPLIT. So the balance in one section heavily damages another. Which WvW is a great example of. Some changes meant for the sPVP scene, simply allows certain classes to wreck havoc without any form of hindrance. And considering that, truth be told, the most successful part of the game IS the PvE/WvW section, that does go a long way to show that the balancing itself doesn’t work at all.

The minority are favored over the vast majority, a decision based upon the ideals set forth by a business-plan created over a year ago.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

Posted by: Schlieffen.2054

Schlieffen.2054

sPvP is only there so that ANet can proclaim “E-SPORTS W000T!!!”. But nobody really want it.

My competitive pvp guild of about 30 people came to GW2 specifically for the spvp and esports potential. They all left the game when it became clear that support for spvp would take a long time to implement if it ever came at all. There are plenty of people that want spvp but they’re playing other games right now.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Badly designed classes with a subpar map.
GW2 is a bunker or spike game (with no middle ground for power short of cheese) because of how well passive speccing for power/crit/crit-dmg scales with burst skills…
To boot conquest grossly promotes bunker/roamers…

Anyways
That leaves specs with a need to be able to cope with CC, conditions and bursts while either having massive offense or defense…

Every single one of those things needs to be pointedly specced for, since no class has them innately… which makes 90% of traits not playable with a specific weapon set and forces specific utilities for certain weapon sets… I mean in essence it tosses the trait/utility system for a god awefully convoluted template-spec setup…

The thief class is a broken concept, surprise what having no limiting factor on ability spamming will do to a class… specs will be based around the spam of a few abilities…
The ranger class is a broken concept, surprise what having entirely AI pet (leaving only high dmg pets as viable) will do to a class… the better the ranger, the more survivable he is…
Conditions is a broken concept. The amulets are a broken concept. GW2 teamwork is a broken concept. Conquest is a broken concept.

Close but no forseight, the game needs sooo kittening many changes just to have a shot at being popular.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I wonder why that is?

And when you joined Guildwars 2 did you really join it for an epic PvP experience or PvE one, because i know i joined this mmo for the latter, i hardly ever PvPed in GW1 either and yes 1 was at least fun occasionally..

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Because all you get is Fun for Time. But if you can have Fun and get gold for the same time input, why bother?

Me and my friend pvp a fair amount. But never more then 1 roation of the maps and never in tPvP anymore.
No tPvP due to:
1. You need a team, and our team mates left the game, our guild we joined for pvp is now pve / wvw.
2. You need to run an exact build and play style. (where is the fun in that? Cause I want to be D/D roam all the time)
3. No map rotation. There is only so long you can play the same map in a row. And that is 2 or 3 times at the absolute most. After that it is a repetitive boring task. And when your fun factor reaches non existent why do that when you can play something else?

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows