sPvP and it not doing well

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

So I think its pretty obvious that the sPvP scene could be in a better position in terms of how many players play it. I’m in 5 guilds, most with 100 or high, 2 with close to 500. Out of them all only 30 or so players have touched solo que.

Now some common complaints are its not rewarding. Another is it doesn’t have enough connection to PvE. Others say its boring. Then I got to think about esports and popular esports and I realized something. They have same aspects. Take LoL for example. One game mode, dont have all characters unlocked, nothing big in terms of rewards. New skins are one of the few rewards. Guess what, Gw2 has that all.

The biggest difference I found is that one is a MMO and one is a MOBA. So it got my thinking that it may lie not in what is given to the players, but rather the mechanics.

Now I’m not saying I’m an expert. This is my opinion. However, since release I noticed something about this games meta in terms of builds and combat. It is very very spam heavy. Most popular builds involve spamming. The recent big balance patch with necros only magnified it because now not only was there physical damage spamming, but condition spamming. With condition spamming it is a lot more clear when something is being spammed because you’re not seeing just numbers. You’re seeing actual red boxes. So the tell signs are a lot stronger.

Now you may be saying, if the game is spammy why is WvW so much more popular than spvp? I’ve often asked myself the same thing. Not only can they show off their PvE gear, but the games mechanic and combat problems aren’t too noticeable. In zergs its easy to chalk it up to just a zerg fight and big numbers. In roaming groups you often dont experience it because you’re either out numbered or the enemy is.

Perhaps I’m wrong. I just think this game needs a lot of mechanics looked at. Passive combat mechanics, uncounterable mechanics, lack of misuse skill punishment, things like that. I am just trying to wrap my head around why there are so few people in spvp and actively partake in it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the lack of rewards and gamemodes has some pull on it. However, there are so many other games with much more popular pvp and still have popularity. I know that competitive PvP aspects in MMOs are never insanely popular. I just feel like there should be much more players interested in the PvP than there currently is.

in PvP

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

i stopped reading at “its not rewarding.” clearly, you have no idea what spvp is about.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

i stopped reading at “its not rewarding.” clearly, you have no idea what spvp is about.

I’m so glad you only read up to that part. I’m even more glad you decided to comment on it to help with some self satisfaction thing you got going on. You are an amazing part of this forums community. Why there are players who say they hate going to the forums is beyond me. Again, thank you for getting the message of my post. I really appreciate it.

in PvP

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

Actually my friend, you have no idea what you’re talking about. The above poster actually does.

Because by saying he has no idea what he is talking about infers that pvp is rewarding, are you taking crazy pills?

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed