sPvP: questions and ideas.

in PvP

Posted by: xemplifi.3524

xemplifi.3524

A list questions about sPvP posed as ideas.

!!BEWARE WALL OF TEXT!!

i)Remove amulets and allow us to create our own custom stat distributions using an allocated number of points while ensuring that there is a maximum number of points which can be allocated to any one stat

ii)Create more incentives for those who wish to focus on the sPvP side of the game by offering pvp specific items and skins. Perhaps some as a track rewards and some earned through achieving a particular rank on the leaderboard. Offering a single set of Glory armor in cloth, leather and heavy seems a bit restrictive when practically every other skin comes from PvE. No sPvP specific weapons or weapon skins are even offered.

iii)Provide tournaments or competitions INGAME that don’t have to be organized through 3rd parties and which offer unique weapon/armor rewards, the accumulation of a sPvP specific currency which can be spent on unique armor/weapon rewards, or a fixed gem/gold reward.

iiii) A leaderboard that represents and takes into consideration all contributions to the team. Hypothetical example: a person bunkers point A for the entire match vs 2 or 3 opponents and hence makes the greatest contribution to the team as his/her allies continuously outnumbered the enemy team. However, the point remains contested for the entire match with no “caps” or “decaps” and the bunker receives no kills and no deaths and hence achieves 0 points by the conclusion of the match (for arguments sake lets assume his allies don’t assist him at any point). Hardly seems fair. If something like this cannot be accounted for it begs the question: is there even a point to having a leaderboard? Should it be boiled down to more basic statistics such as; most damage done, most healing done, most damage received etc..? The glaring issue with any leaderboard that takes on either the current format or the aforementioned one is that the players who play more frequently and for longer periods of times than your average player will dominate the higher ranks regardless of actual skill.

iiiii) 2v2 and 3v3, with the banning of certain skills which could be deemed overpowered in those settings. For example: 2 PU burst mesmers both running Signet of Humility.

iiiiii) Offer separate queues for organized teams and solo players.

Any and all feedback is encouraged. Lets make sPvP a thing in GW2 as it should be and not just a side dish.

in PvP

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

Wait things we have been asking for since the start? BRILLIANT! you get stronghold seriously don’t get your hopes up… the things you asked for are anti fun and might cause BM. Anet is also very hipster when it comes to comforming to things of standard mmos they have been refusing dueling and 2v2 3v3s since the start for the above reasons. It’s their game suicide, they dont understand that’s the reason their game isnt a competitive E-Sport Seriouly A-Net step up your game and give us real features we want. You’ve seen how the population has dwindled and its because of the lack of the things mentioned here.

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

1 – Probably a bad idea with all due respect. The only way this would be a good idea is if literally everything was overhauled to support such choices. Right now the game is largely designed around how Amulet/Gear stats work.

2 – Problem with 2 is that it draws achievement hunters who normally only play PvE. They aren’t really interested in being competitive and they never will be but boy oh boy are they interested in getting those achievements & skins. Without going to in-depth in to the countless problems this creates, I’ll say that: You want competitive players in a competitive environment who are interested in the competition, not players who are more concerned with grinding (X) amount of matches for a skin. The PvE grinders don’t stick around long after they get that title/skin. Aside from that, real competitive players care much much more about their personal status gained within the community as a competitor than they ever will achievable skins.

3 – I agree with completely.

4 – I agree with completely but we’ve asking for this since day 1. Don’t get your hopes up.

5 – This is indeed something that is done better through 3rd party sites & organizers. AG, AspectGG these are great sources for this type of entertainment.

6 – I agree with completely and have written several threads explaining why this is so important. We’ll see if it ever happens again.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

xemplifi.3524

Thanks for your post Trevor.

1) Would it really be that difficult to implement such a thing in sPvP alone? I understand that it may make certain stat allocations less viable, such as celestial, but would it not also provide us with more options and make certain builds more viable so that we could begin to move away from the “1 build for each class” meta?

2) I can understand your point here and i completely agree. However, I wasn’t suggesting that we be given something similar to the current rank or leaderboard system but a ladder which is more representative of skill. In a 2v2 or 3v3 environment (with no solo queue) that’s a lot easier; say if team A wins against team B, team A gains 1 mmr point and team B loses 1 mmr point. In this way only those who are actually playing at a competitive level will be able to unlock the right to purchase those items, after achieving say top 1000, top 500, top 100, top 10 etc.. I’m not suggesting that reward tracks be removed completely, of course I would encourage them to add more if anything, which would perhaps encourage more of the community to get into sPvP. I understand that most pvpers, myself included, only wish to get better at the game and become more well known in the community, but with that said I also think that offering us some other incentive or reward would be nice. I mean, who doesn’t want to walk around in some swag you know you earned through hard work and skilled play? It’s like a visual medal of achievement.

5) I can see your point but is it really impossible to offer some kind of lasting balance to a 2v2 environment through the removal of certain skills or the banning of particular amulets? If 3rd party sites and organizers can create a set of rules or guidelines which make this kind of competition viable why is it that anet cannot?

in PvP

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

About ingame performance we talked about an MVP System.

If well designed, it could be an interesting system to promote good players performance and it could be an extra parameter for matchmaking (Besides mmr).

And i remember we talked about a better stats system at the end of the game, like a match recap. This game lacks a lot about statistics and data at the end of the match.

(edited by philheat.3956)

in PvP

xemplifi.3524

I just see an inherent problem with measuring player contributions in 5v5 especially in a PUG environment. I don’t really ever expect to see a leaderboard that covers all the bases. Sure if they are organized teams it’s rather simple, Team A beats Team B, Team A is the better team, Team A advances on the ladder, Team B moves down the ladder or maintains the same rank. For this very reason I would like to see the introduction of 2v2’s and 3v3’s as they would require less organization to form and maintain than teams of 5 as well as broadening the scope of sPvP in GW2. 3 basic forms of gameplay and endgame experiences exist right now; PvE (FotM, Legendary farming etc…), WvW and sPvP, the latter is by and large the least developed out of all of them yet it offers the most dynamic and fast paced gameplay experiences on a moment to moment basis. It’s reasons like this that I feel anet is sitting on a number of very large gold veins but refusing to even scratch the surface. Can we have some feedback on this discussion Anet, so that we can have some clear cut reasoning for why some of these things have not been implemented so far, and what it would take in order for them to be implemented?

in PvP

xemplifi.3524

There are enough discussions expressing salty views on burning and dd cele/eles. Lets all do something more productive with our time. Contribute to the discussion fellas. BUMP.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

1. Amulets/Stats Yes, we need more stat customization. But a much simpler system is to just split the amulet into multiple items using existing stat combinations. Players can then mix and match like they can do in WvW/PvE.
2. Incentives/Rewards Exclusive rewards would be nice, but long-term PvPers are motivated more by good competition. Automated tournaments and a meaningful leaderboard would help a lot more. Reward tracks would need re-vamped to compete with the amount of gold you can earn through PvE. Cutting down on the number of transmutation charges and tomes of knowledge would do a lot.
3. Automated Tournaments Yes, we need these. Offering gems as a reward would be incentive enough.
4. Scoreboard I think you’re talking about the in-game scoreboard, not the web-based leaderboard. The in-game scoreboard leaves much to be desired and teaches new players to value the wrong things, but making it better would take a lot of work. In the near-term, it would be better just to hide it. In a game which isn’t a total blowout, everyone easily gets a single point score necessary for reward credit.
If you’re talking about the leaderboard, there was a discussion thread with ANet responses on that. The general idea is that MMR-based didn’t work well (no incentive to keep playing), but the “farm boards” were arguably worse because there was no skill aspect.
5. 2v2 and 3v3 Not needed. The game isn’t well balanced for small-scale elimination and never will be because minute differences mean a lot. The people who want this are a vocal minority. AspectGG runs a 2v2 tournament weekly, but it doesn’t even fill to capacity with teams (16 teams = 32 players total. For reference, 8 conquest teams is 40 players). Academy Gaming runs a weekly non-pro conquest tournament and it routinely gets over 16 teams signed up.
6. Solo Queue Don’t bring this back. A lot of players think solo queue was the greatest thing ever. It wasn’t. On NA, solo queue was for “1v1 heroes” who ignored the conquest mechanics and any team coordination. The winning team was the one with the fewest terrible players. The solo vs. pre-made argument is a complete exaggeration. Solo players are often matched with and against partial groups. When they lose, they claim the enemy team was a pre-made as an excuse for poor play or improperly match teammates.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

xemplifi.3524

1) Good point, that would work as well.

2) Your point about good competition is sound, but I believe having exclusive rewards as well as good competition would be a win win situation for us sPvPers. I don’t see any reason why this couldn’t be implemented in addition to the other points made.

4) They are both tied in with one another but yes I agree. I am certainly not a fan of the “Farmboards”.

5) Again, if these kinds of competitions can be successfully managed to provide competitive 2v2 and 3v3 matches through 3rd parties I don’t see why Anet isn’t capable of achieving the same. In any case perhaps an alternative would be to provide and ingame system whereby these kinds of competitions run by 3rd parties can be setup and managed as well as allow for ingame signups and notifications.

6)The reason why I suggested a queue split in addition to the option of 2v2 or 3v3 is that MMR could be more accurately measured and as a result matchups that are more even could be provided. In a PUG environment MMR is difficult to measure but in a stable team environment it would be far easier to gather statistics that are indicative of the skill of the team on a whole . This would provide a more competitive environment without the need to go through 3rd party organisers