should the "play now" button be removed?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

since the patch, the “play now” button seems to introduce more problems than ever.
how about we remove the “play now” button completely?
i know i never use the “play now” button.

so, to remove, or not to remove?
discuss?

for me, yes, remove the “play now” button since it is useless.
new players need to learn to use the game browser and filter to find the rooms they want to play in.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Change it so that it doesn’t route to custom arenas, only the ANet ones. I don’t use it because I don’t want to play deathmatch in Courtyard and that’s where I get sent.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Change it so that it doesn’t route to custom arenas, only the ANet ones. I don’t use it because I don’t want to play deathmatch in Courtyard and that’s where I get sent.

do you get sent into full rooms? i.e. 10/20 and you can only spectate?

in the past, once in a blue moon, i must use the “play now” button because the game browser was lagging / bugging terribly and would not come out with the list of games to join and play.

i think it may involve too much programming to change the functionality of the “play now” button so for me, i guess a removal would be much more convenient.

just like how they removed 8 vs 8 hotjoin servers so easily.
just like how they removed raid of the capricorn so easily.
just like that.
removed.

strangely, they would not remove skyhammer / spirit watch from solo arena though.
i thought they like to remove things.

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

I only use play now because im too lazy to look for open matches. I’ve farmed my 10 steps from custom arenas each day and barely notice the issues, if you run into a full room just hit play now again, removing functionality is never the answer.

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

It shouldn’t be removed. Whole point of those games were to be able to be entered and exited as fast as possible. Play now button is the fastest and the best way of doing so.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

The button is not useless, it is necessary to find a server with a free place. Without using the button no new arena-net-5v5-servers are generated, and therefore all servers will be full.
They just have to remove every non-5v5-custom server from the possible outcomes. Don’t want to land in a 10vs10 courtyard slaughter again.

Currently I have to press multiple time the “play now” button, to land somewhere suitable. (FYI You can open the server browser directly during a match / from the spectator mode, once you realize that you are once again a courtyard rank farm server).

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

since they randomly removed all of the 8v8 servers it has become extremely difficult to find a server to play on, spamming the play now button until you find a half decent server is the only current way to find a match.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

It fools newbies into thinking that when they press “play now” that they are playing actual GW2 PvP and not some clusterkitten of randomness.

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

i totally disagree here.

i used the ‘play now’ button from the beginning, never chose an arena from the list.
then i realised its most of the time 8v8 – so i created a filter for 5v5 and chose the one i like. it was a terrible time, full of searching free servers, entering them and getting a network error 80% of the time. so it got worse for me.
then there was my time with soloQ – which isn’t anymore because of an awfull internet connectivity – so back to hot join again.
i didn’t bother anymore for the 8v8, played anyways because i was lucky playing some minutes at a time. it was a really good usability for me, as soon as i managed to login i hit play now; or as soon as skyhammer popped…

the change to only 5v5 was a really good one; tremendously increased the quality of matches. on the other hand this change suddenly implemented custom arenas into ‘play now’ which should be strongly reconsidered.

so this is the only problem left with the play now button: the inclusion of user made custom arenas.
the statement

since the patch, the “play now” button seems to introduce more problems than ever.

is therefore completely wrong and the consistency of ‘play now’ really important.

all the bad aspects in which new players were put into are gone. the 8v8 cancer aka zergfest was the biggest issue in preventing l2p.

to give new players the right feeling ‘play now’ button should be way bigger – to make clear thats the first choice – and it should only put you in 5v5 anet-arena.
the ones who want to chose their liking are still able to do so.

if you, deimos, do not want it, simply do not use it.

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

“Play Now” should redirect players to an unrated queue where they can play solo or with friends in a party.

Hotjoin can be left as is, with manual join via the game browser.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The Play Now button is what makes custom arenas so convenient and convenience is half the reason I ever step foot in hot join.

in PvP

Posted by: SonofNoob.3102

SonofNoob.3102

I disagree, I use the play now button a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

they should at least rename the button so nobody gets confused what it means.

in PvP

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

The “offical” Hot Join Servers are “technically” Custom Arenas, run by ANet.
That’s why you also get into “real” CMs, when you use the Join Now Button.
I also would like it, if ANet would deal with this topic, but I don’t know, how much effort this would take.

I’m also versus the removal of the Button.
A reason why absolute beginners get into SoloQ and TeamQ is, because the interface (only 2 big buttons) for joining those is much more beginner-friendly than the pvp browser.
I think, we actually need the same kind of interface the Arenas have for Hot Join (including the “Join Now” Button) and another Button to pop up the Browser for manual joining.

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

The “offical” Hot Join Servers are “technically” Custom Arenas, run by ANet.
That’s why you also get into “real” CMs, when you use the Join Now Button.
I also would like it, if ANet would deal with this topic, but I don’t know, how much effort this would take.

I’m also versus the removal of the Button.
A reason why absolute beginners get into SoloQ and TeamQ is, because the interface (only 2 big buttons) for joining those is much more beginner-friendly than the pvp browser.
I think, we actually need the same kind of interface the Arenas have for Hot Join (including the “Join Now” Button) and another Button to pop up the Browser for manual joining.

yeah! duplicate the ‘join now’ button with short description into the arean tab.

so you have all in one place.
- unranked arena (hotjoin)
- soloQ
- teamQ

and those who like choose theirself are still able to do so via gamebrowser-tab

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: Klocknov.8219

Klocknov.8219

Until Play Now is removed or revamped to only allow 5v5s since 8-10v8-10s are not fun and really detract me from ever pressing the button since I can press it 300 times and only get zerg servers. If I wanted a zergfest I could go join the blob in EotM or EBG, why do I want to play this behaviour in cordinated PvP? But still this button is more useful to me then solo q as of late… to many AFKers in solo q and I have the worst luck with getting them it seems.