so we're back to 50/50 matches ?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

from patch notes:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-May-17-2016/first#post6158252

We’ve created a new matchmaker for Season 3 that will strike a balance between the two previous seasons, accomplishing the same goals of accuracy from Season 2 but doing so with the evenness of matches that players experienced in Season 1.

(edited by Deimos Tel Arin.7391)

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

kinda in between i think…..from what they said. Not so uneven matches but still favoring one team it would seem.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

kinda in between i think…..from what they said. Not so uneven matches but still favoring one team it would seem.

i think its a combination of season 1 and season 2

season 1 is raw 50/50
we can get both higher mmr and lower mmr players in both teams.
i.e.
red – blue
10 – 10
8 – 8
5 – 5
1 – 1
2 – 1

season 2 is similar MMR for one team, versus other team not so.
an extreme case:
red – blue
10 – 1
10 – 1
10 – 1
10 – 1
10 – 1

season 3 we get both
i.e.

red – blue
8 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8

something like that maybe.
otherwise, one team gonna have slightly higher overall MMR.

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

Well i wish they would have explained it a bit more

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Well i wish they would have explained it a bit more

aaah i think they like to see more forum activity around here XD

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

s1 matches were too frustrating, fighting against the odds you were given to win… hopefully its closer to s2 than s1

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

s1 matches were too frustrating, fighting against the odds you were given to win… hopefully its closer to s2 than s1

This a misrepresentation of S1, what you are describing is S2.

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/finding-the-perfect-match/

odds of winning chart.

if they are using this scoring again, and i have to regularly be in the 20-39% of winning group again, frustrating is an understatement

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

odds of winning chart.

if they are using this scoring again, and i have to regularly be in the 20-39% of winning group again, frustrating is an understatement

o they are not changing that.

they killed match prediction in season 2 because it is too kittened.

we are talking about match making.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

odds of winning chart.

Idk what you are grasping at.. your odds of winning were the 50/50 in season 1 Whereas in season 2, depending on your MMR you wither had 50/50 change to win a 85% chance to lose or a 85% chance to win. So, you are misrepresenting S1, the only problem in S1 was your teammates.

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

odds of winning chart.

Idk what you are grasping at.. your odds of winning were the 50/50 in season 1 Whereas in season 2, depending on your MMR you wither had 50/50 change to win a 85% chance to lose or a 85% chance to win. So, you are misrepresenting S1, the only problem in S1 was your teammates.

i could be remembering it wrong, but after a match in s1 you would get, say +2 points, looking at the chart that would mean u had a 20-39% chance of winning, ie u were fighting against the odds to actually win.

ofc i might just be remembering it wrong. alls i know is win streaks in s2 made pvp much moar bearable for me personally

in PvP

Posted by: Ghede.9145

Ghede.9145

odds of winning chart.

in S1 i would be qd with the most terrible players i ever met cuz of high mmr
(and still made lege solo q)

in S2 my ruined MMR from S1 would be further ruined

so in regards of matchmaking it was equally totally terrible for me in both seasons…

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

odds of winning chart.

i could be remembering it wrong, but after a match in s1 you would get, say +2 points, looking at the chart that would mean u had a 20-39% chance of winning, ie u were fighting against the odds to actually win.

ofc i might just be remembering it wrong. alls i know is win streaks in s2 made pvp much moar bearable for me personally

Nope, you are remember it right, it just that you could gained lot of point by facing a team with a 10 in it. 10 1 1 1 1 vs 3 3 3 3 3. To undertsand this, you have to look at glicko or elo formula. So, Its still not clear how pip were awarded but I believe it was linked to your MMR score. If your score significantly increased ( from vs ing a 10) then more pip were awarded. Still doesn’t change the fact that you had a 50/50 chnace of winning or losing. But the bolded part is all speculation.

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

season 3 we get both
i.e.

red – blue
8 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8

Season 1 would have been closer:
6 – 7
6 – 5
5 – 5
5 – 4
4 – 4

Your season 2 example is accurate, though could be closer in some circumstances.

Season 3 will be like a sorted version of season 1:
4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

season 3 we get both
i.e.

red – blue
8 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8

6 – 7
6 – 5
5 – 5
5 – 4
4 – 4

Your season 2 example is accurate, though could be closer in some circumstances.

4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

If S2 was that extreme, then yes S3 looks like it makes more sense. Essentially ‘average’ mmr for a division should have a 50/50 w/l, provided the continuum is even?

why not
4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 6

Is that to force players if move up over time?

Phaatonn, London UK

(edited by Phaeton.9582)

in PvP

Posted by: Vicky.4563

Vicky.4563

Still doesn’t change the fact that you had a 50/50 chnace of winning or losing.

No, you didn’t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3x7ngm/the_pvp_pip_reward_algorithm_in_table_form_and/

They throw you into matches were you either have anywhere from 0%-100% chance of winning and then you are awarded pips based on your score. Which meant if you landed on foefire, one team caps 2 nodes, the other 1, and then the team with 1 node kills lord. Game ends with 1 team at 400 and the other at 500. Then both teams get pips.

Repeatable on every map except Kylo. Can do it on Forest and 1 team goes for every creep, or do it on Temple and one team goes for top buff.

Ye!

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

Well, idk if it was a typo but in your season 3 example. One side is grossly favored over the other by 7 point. How is that fair?

in PvP

Jaxom.7310

odds of winning chart.

Nope, you are remember it right, it just that you could gained lot of point by facing a team with a 10 in it. 10 1 1 1 1 vs 3 3 3 3 3. To undertsand this, you have to look at glicko or elo formula. So, Its still not clear how pip were awarded but I believe it was linked to your MMR score. If your score significantly increased ( from vs ing a 10) then more pip were awarded. Still doesn’t change the fact that you had a 50/50 chnace of winning or losing. But the bolded part is all speculation.

fair enough, i think i follow u. i just remember feeling like my mates were struggling to kno what to do, but in s2 i didn’t feel that way as much as i would just get win streaks and sail thru those

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

6 – 7
6 – 5
5 – 5
5 – 4
4 – 4

4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

So as it appeared in the notes. One team will be favored (like S2) but not as much as it was before, allowing for closer matches. While still giving enough advantage to one side to help them move ahead.

in PvP

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Well, idk if it was a typo but in your season 3 example. One side is grossly favored over the other by 7 point. How is that fair?

Eh I don’t think it will be anywhere near that bad. S1 was within “one” deviation and it was 50-50 basically. S3 is within “two” deviations. Sounds like it will be just right. But no one knows till we try it.

In other words I predict we will see win rates ranging from 40-60% on average. 30-70% for extreme outliers. That is much better than S2 where some people couldn’t win or some people couldn’t lose (0-100%)

in PvP

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Hopefully this is closer to S2 as compared to S1. S1 was the worst online gaming experience I ever had. 30 straight loses, never made it out of amber.

S2 was much better, with me making it to T5 diamond with a good mix of wins and losses.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

“Season 2 matchmaking was changed from Season 1 Ranked and Unranked matchmaking to help ensure league positions correlated more with skill instead of simply being based on the hours played. These changes saw a multitude of improvements for Season 2, but unfortunately they also spread out win rates further than we would have liked, as matches became a bit too uneven. We’ve created a new matchmaker for Season 3 that will strike a balance between the two previous seasons, accomplishing the same goals of accuracy from Season 2 but doing so with the evenness of matches that players experienced in Season 1.”

So in theory, bad players will play worse in uneven matches (but not as kitteneen in S2) while good players will play just good enough to overcome the odds.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Rigante.2470

Rigante.2470

Its plenty fair. One of the ideas here, that you fail to grasp, is that A-net doesn’t want people to have to group with people much below there skill level. That happens and you start punishing the higher skill player. Conversely you have the chance for lower skilled players to get carried along to divisons they don’t belong in by higher skilled players. Because thats what’s really not fair those 2 things.

in PvP

Posted by: Ghazan.9213

Ghazan.9213

They should do 50 / 50 like every other online gaming Mmr and separate a solo queue and a team queue. If people want any form of rigged games they should be able to go to the team queue with all their buddy’s.

Season 2 Mmr was the worst Mmr I’ve ever seen in the history of online gaming.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

They should do 50 / 50 like every other online gaming Mmr and separate a solo queue and a team queue. If people want any form of rigged games they should be able to go to the team queue with all their buddy’s.

Why should a good player have to always carry a bunch of people who have no business playing in their tier?

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

So important question… What are new players categorized at for the match making? Please tell me your not leaving them at the 50% mark, because anyone under that who gets teamed with them is actually likely to loose which will drop their MMR further (along with the new folks whom they’ll team with again)? In general its a step in the right direction trying to at least keep the teams reasonably close in skill level.

in PvP

Ghazan.9213

Why should a good player have to always carry a bunch of people who have no business playing in their tier?

Season 2 was terrible man, how can you honestly be defending it? Most games I watched on twitch were not even games they were 500-10 and just boring. Even the pro league streamers like Nos and Chaith said unranked Mmr was better than season 2.

Like I said, the Mmr imbalance is amplified by the fact that all the pro leaguers tend to group together and bash some random solo queuers. That’s why there should be a solo queue with the unranked Mmr and an actual team queue like there was in guildwars 1. If we could regularly get teams of 8 together in gw1, why can’t we get teams of 5 in gw2?

in PvP

Ghazan.9213

Season 2 was terrible man, how can you honestly be defending it? Most games I watched on twitch were not even games they were 500-10 and just boring. Even the pro league streamers like Nos and Chaith said unranked Mmr was better than season 2. I’m sure there are some experienced players who liked rising up so quickly so they support it selfishly because winning 10 games in a row is fun, but their opinion is not in the best interest of the game as a whole.

Like I said, the Mmr imbalance is amplified by the fact that all the pro leaguers tend to group together and bash some random solo queuers. That’s why there should be a solo queue with the unranked Mmr and an actual team queue like there was in guildwars 1. If we could regularly get teams of 8 together in gw1, why can’t we get teams of 5 in gw2?

in PvP

Vicky.4563

Its plenty fair. One of the ideas here, that you fail to grasp, is that A-net doesn’t want people to have to group with people much below there skill level. That happens and you start punishing the higher skill player. Conversely you have the chance for lower skilled players to get carried along to divisons they don’t belong in by higher skilled players. Because thats what’s really not fair those 2 things.

^^^ this.

Sure being able to carry in an occasional game is fine. But forcing players to carry in every single game up to legendary is exhausting and unfun.

S1 was a chore and you had to group up if you didn’t want absolute imbeciles on your team. S2 made it so grouping up was unnecessary since you could usually trust MM to give you the teammates you deserved.

…well, unless they were the type of player who got carried every match. In which case, tough luck for them during S2.

The only issue was in S2, you didn’t start getting good opponents until you got to legendary. But you can blame that on the lack of division regression.

in PvP

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

season 3 we get both
i.e.

red – blue
8 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8

6 – 7
6 – 5
5 – 5
5 – 4
4 – 4

4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

So i assume this will still cater to ppl getting trapped in MMR hell, only slightly less so? Once you start losing you will still be paired with other people who consistently lose. So I guess the advice is if you win keep playing, if you lose no advice really.

Additionally are you resetting MMR for everyone with season 3? If not then players will be stuck before they even begin.

aka. “The Complainer”

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

Season 2 was terrible man, how can you honestly be defending it? Most games I watched on twitch were not even games they were 500-10 and just boring. Even the pro league streamers like Nos and Chaith said unranked Mmr was better than season 2.

I still don’t see you answering my question. Why should a good player be paired with someone who is not at his/her skill level?

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

Additionally are you resetting MMR for everyone with season 3? If not then players will be stuck before they even begin.

I very much doubt they will reset MMR but i really hope they do.

in PvP

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

So important question… What are new players categorized at for the match making? Please tell me your not leaving them at the 50% mark, because anyone under that who gets teamed with them is actually likely to loose which will drop their MMR further (along with the new folks whom they’ll team with again)? In general its a step in the right direction trying to at least keep the teams reasonably close in skill level.

Had the same question myself …

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in PvP

Ghazan.9213

I still don’t see you answering my question. Why should a good player be paired with someone who is not at his/her skill level?

I already told you, because it’s basically a solo queue. If you don’t want to play with bad players, you should be asking for a separate team queue where you can team up with other good players and play against other organized teams, not ruin the only queue available, where the outcome is decided before the game even starts.

It shows how weak the guild wars devs are to let a few whiners and moaners dictate the Mmr system to their favour and make the worst Mmr system in the history of online gaming. DOTA and LOL would never let a few whiners ruin their game for them.

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Had the same question myself …

Maybe I need to start a new thread to get an answer?

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

Still doesn’t change the fact that you had a 50/50 chnace of winning or losing.

No, you didn’t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3x7ngm/the_pvp_pip_reward_algorithm_in_table_form_and/

They throw you into matches were you either have anywhere from 0%-100% chance of winning and then you are awarded pips based on your score. Which meant if you landed on foefire, one team caps 2 nodes, the other 1, and then the team with 1 node kills lord. Game ends with 1 team at 400 and the other at 500. Then both teams get pips.

Repeatable on every map except Kylo. Can do it on Forest and 1 team goes for every creep, or do it on Temple and one team goes for top buff.

Ye!

Well, I guess you either clueless about what you are saying or you might be struggling with statistic.
Yes, S1 algorithm was based on 5 vs 5 games, don’t believe me, check Evan example. Second, thanks for validating my assumption ascertaining to MM score and pip gain/loss. The facts are the MM system, in S1, tried to make 5 vs 5 and whenever it couldn’t we had what you are describing above (less than 8% of games in S1). What’s fascinating about S1, is that the system was rewarded the 1 (in 10 vs 1) for its short-fallings. So instead of losing a pip like in S2, The S1 system recognized the match-up as unfair, and awarded pip accordingly.

Eh I don’t think it will be anywhere near that bad. S1 was within “one” deviation and it was 50-50 basically. S3 is within “two” deviations. Sounds like it will be just right. But no one knows till we try it.

In other words I predict we will see win rates ranging from 40-60% on average. 30-70% for extreme outliers. That is much better than S2 where some people couldn’t win or some people couldn’t lose (0-100%)

I agree, but my only issue with it, is that 1-10 scale is being used. So, I had expect 5 or less point difference between both team. Having a 7 point different is tantamount to adding another player on the other team; using Evan example its 22 vs 29. But no need to sweat over it since it’s a lot better than what we had in S2.

And what does this have to do with my post?? you do understand that Evan used a Scale of 10?? And a 7 on 1-10 scale is a passing grade or another player, right? A 5 or 4 point difference would have being ideal.

in PvP

Vicky.4563

Well, I guess you either clueless about what you are saying or you might be struggling with statistic.

S1 was not 50/50 if there were games that had a possibility of being 0-100%.

The facts are the MM system, in S1, tried to make 5 vs 5 and whenever it couldn’t we had what you are describing above (less than 8% of games in S1).

Source on the 8% please.

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

They should do 50 / 50 like every other online gaming Mmr

Hearthstone match-making works kind of like season two MMR used to. You get super easy games until you reach a certain point corresponding to your skill level.

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

I already told you, because it’s basically a solo queue. If you don’t want to play with bad players, you should be asking for a separate team queue where you can team up with other good players and play against other organized teams, not ruin the only queue available, where the outcome is decided before the game even starts.

It shows how weak the guild wars devs are to let a few whiners and moaners dictate the Mmr system to their favour and make the worst Mmr system in the history of online gaming. DOTA and LOL would never let a few whiners ruin their game for them.

That doesn’t answer the question. What does solo queue have to do with being paired with people who are not at your skill level?

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

The facts are the MM system, in S1, tried to make 5 vs 5 and whenever it couldn’t we had what you are describing above (less than 8% of games in S1).

Source on the 8% please.

And how many of those games did you have? i had 5 out of 500 games played in ranked.

Well, it’s nice to have opinion, and good luck , i am not wasting my time on the mathematically impaireds.

in PvP

Posted by: eXeD.9738

eXeD.9738

Oh yeah. Won my 1st game, 2nd game we had 4 thieves and got destroyed.

in PvP

Vicky.4563

Source on the 8% please.

And how many of those games did you have? i had 5 out of 500 games played in ranked.

Well, it’s nice to have opinion, and good luck , i am not wasting my time on the mathematically impaireds.

Using personal anecdotes to draw conclusions on S1 MM is neither statistics nor math.

If MM was skewed to the point they had to do 0-100% win rate and separate pips based on it, it is not 50/50. You could argue that their goal was to hit 50/50, but then you could argue the same for S2.

And asking for a source for an unsubstantiated claim is simple logic. You declared a number, 8%. Then you claimed you had 5/500 games like that during S1, which would make it 1%. So which is it? 8%? Or 1%? You’re either using personal anecdotes (which would be 1%) or you have another source for the 8%.

Or you’re just making numbers up to suit your agenda of getting to legendary in the easiest way possible.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

Maybe because my experience (1%) differ from everyone else, hence the 8%? You know what, i put some fund on the side, so you can enroll in STAT 101 or something, because you need it.

Now have a nice day!

in PvP

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well looks like we are back to the TERRIBLE S1 50/50 formula. I’ll give them a few days to fix it, but if not i’m out of PvP this season, not going back to that kitten.

Win, loss, win, loss, matches aren’t even close, just back and forth.

in PvP

Vicky.4563

So ad hominem attacks from people who 0 knowledge of MM and like making up numbers, it’s pretty clear S1 was grind based and had 0 correlation to skill while S2 was marginally better at filtering out by skill. It at least prevented all the terribads from getting to legendary, but it couldn’t keep them out of grinding to diamond by sheer force and number of games.

Will we ever see a proper system with division regression? Ever?

in PvP

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

season 3 we get both
i.e.

red – blue
8 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8

6 – 7
6 – 5
5 – 5
5 – 4
4 – 4

4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

So basically you’re forcing 50% winrates by teamstacking, and that’s supposed to get you to your perceived MMR/rank faster?

Yea, me going w/l/w/l/w/l because my team is kitten in half of my games and their team is kitten in the other half will surely rank me up constantly. Good job!

One foot out the door, yet again.

in PvP

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

First match
500 -53
Second match
500 – 299

Hoping for better matches as we lost both times.

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Configs were wonky for the first 30 minutes of the season in case some people here played during that period.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Configs were wonky for the first 30 minutes of the season in case some people here played during that period.

They are still wonky. I am getting 500-100 matches. The game still literary forces you into unwinnable games or in games you can afk in and still win. It is literary 50/50. 5 matches absolute win, 5 matches totally unwinnable matches.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

This is why you should never be an early adopter.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.