so we're back to 50/50 matches ?

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Forum bug, hoo!!

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Configs were wonky for the first 30 minutes of the season in case some people here played during that period.

So glad work today is preventing me from logging in and playing right meow.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

season 3 we get both
i.e.

red – blue
8 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8

something like that maybe.
otherwise, one team gonna have slightly higher overall MMR.

Season 1 would have been closer:
6 – 7
6 – 5
5 – 5
5 – 4
4 – 4

Your season 2 example is accurate, though could be closer in some circumstances.

Season 3 will be like a sorted version of season 1:
4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

How about some more details of how matchmaking works especially in the patch notes? And why wasn’t mmr reset?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

So we’re back to pushing that 50% win ratio and getting unwinnable matches as soon as we get a short streak.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

So we’re back to pushing that 50% win ratio and getting unwinnable matches as soon as we get a short streak.

yep, i got perfect 50/50 lol

sure as hell those 500-100 matches were very very balanced~

Attachments:

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

kitten then how the kitten are we even gonna progress our divisions out of emerald / sapphire then ?

in PvP

Burn.5401

kitten then how the kitten are we even gonna progress our divisions out of emerald / sapphire then ?

They want people to play as much as possible so it doesn’t come to a surprise that they decided to go with the grindfest which was season 1.

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

They want people to play as much as possible so it doesn’t come to a surprise that they decided to go with the grindfest which was season 1.

Well, for season 1, the pip progression is not entirely based on win/loss streak. So it was easier to progress at a reasonable rate.

in PvP

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

I am also at 50-50.

Decent games though for the most part. 500-350ish usually.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow Bane.9362

Shadow Bane.9362

I’ve had some pretty awful match ups 3+ of X class (thieves or ele or rng) against decent comps. Still nothing in to prevent matchmaking from stacking classes.

People that afk during a match that is still very very close cause they just don’t like someone, trolling for the lulz, or whatever the reason should result in permanent bans kitten has happened way too much all ready today even in matches that were being won.

(edited by Shadow Bane.9362)

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Well i wish they would have explained it a bit more

Then we’d know how it work and would have been able to tell them why it’s faulty again.

4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

So…, still team stacking that decides beforehand which side should win and which should lose?

Meh, seems this season won’t be fun as well.

Why should a good player be paired with someone who is not at his/her skill level?

He shouldn’t. But then, he shouldn’t be paired against such players either.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

Finished last season at end of Ruby (at highest point) so started Emerald tonight. Already a loss due to (pretty much definitely) solo queue being put with a 5-man premade. Is being able to be put with a premade team something Anet took as being good from S1??

Also, with Evans example of how matchmaking will be this season, the team on the right has a bigger advantage still of winning since their numbers are higher that the left side; this is fair? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

season 3 we get both
i.e.

red – blue
8 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8

6 – 7
6 – 5
5 – 5
5 – 4
4 – 4

Your season 2 example is accurate, though could be closer in some circumstances.

4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

What about if there were lower ranked players in there say a couple of 2s, how would it be sorted then? Would it be:

2 – 5
2 – 5
4 – 5
5 – 6
5 – 7

Cause if thats the case there are still going to be matchmaking issues for outlying players.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

That’s why the season is close to 2 months long. It will take that long to get to ruby..

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Also, with Evans example of how matchmaking will be this season, the team on the right has a bigger advantage still of winning since their numbers are higher that the left side; this is fair? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

“Season 2 matchmaking was changed from Season 1 Ranked and Unranked matchmaking to help ensure league positions correlated more with skill instead of simply being based on the hours played. These changes saw a multitude of improvements for Season 2, but unfortunately they also spread out win rates further than we would have liked, as matches became a bit too uneven. We’ve created a new matchmaker for Season 3 that will strike a balance between the two previous seasons, accomplishing the same goals of accuracy from Season 2 but doing so with the evenness of matches that players experienced in Season 1.”

Answer
Working as intended (in theory anyways). It’s suppose to be challenging as players needs to try hard for the certain matches now. Only difference, it’s not as difficult as season 2 where matches really were lopsided. If it was any easier, like a pure 50/50 matchmaking system, then the best grinders would hit Legendary first.

S2, we saw a lot more players in “mmr hell” while others reached Legendary, albiet, they still had that 3-4 game lose streak on occassion. Now players are segregated at the very start of the season (this is good) and the players in mmr hell who were stuck in Ruby will be playing against other in Amber etc. Players in Legendary will go against each other in Sapphire.

There’s obviously some outliers but it sounds like a better algorithm… in theory.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s obviously some outliers but it sounds like a better algorithm… in theory.

It’s still basically the same bad s2 algorithm with predecided winners and losers, only weakened a little so the differences won’t be as outrageous as it could happen before. It still basically produces only unfair matches, it still decides for players whether they should win or lose, it’s still not fun.

Really disappointed with that one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Posted by: Daala.4258

Daala.4258

Last season’s legend div player here. So far 10 matches: 4W-6L. Most matches with scores around 400 on the losing team. Looks like we are going to spend a lot of time climbing to legend.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I think with the human factor this S3 matchmaking will be close to 50/50 …. Basically mathes will be unbalanced, but the design will win/loose on the bahavior of the players. Not their skill. Lets assume 9 players will fight normal/try hard and its very likely that one will be diffrent. — Diconnect, AFK, just trying a build, fast daily or a bit drunk …
Ths one will decide the match against the team. The rest will be fighting close.

in PvP

Posted by: Hanza.6872

Hanza.6872

What is disappointing to me is that even though they split the population over their past leagues, they still implement a system that gives a clear advantage to one team.

After splitting people, they should be able to win themselves. Now you keep having people being stomped (those from previous leagues being in a too high tier) and you keep boosting some people up because they have a bloated MMR..

When will Anet learn that systems will balance themselves out. Instead of trying to rig the league in favour of their ‘elites’…

in PvP

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

This is great news no longer game is decide before it starts,well most of the times now as people still need few games to get there right mmr

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Last season’s legend div player here. So far 10 matches: 4W-6L. Most matches with scores around 400 on the losing team. Looks like we are going to spend a lot of time climbing to legend.

Honestly this seems so much less messy than last season. This is the point where matches should seem most one-sided

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Having a very similar result here. Only 1-2 of my lost matches could be considered something 200 or less to 500.

The rest are high 300s to literally 498-500.

I would say the ratio does seem to match 40-60%. I cannot say its a clear 50/50.

However this is only the first day, let’s see how it pans out after a week or two, if it keeps this value I would dare say MM is better than S1 and S2.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

500 – 400 ++ means close games, means the match making is working.

but i hate close games, especially if my team loses.
all those effort, in the end, still minus one pip.

i prefer blow out games where my team steam rolls and rekt the other.
easy plus one pip.

in PvP

Burn.5401

Games have been pretty onesided for me. The ones with a “closer” score never had a chance for comebacks or anything.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Configs were wonky for the first 30 minutes of the season in case some people here played during that period.

This is why you should never be an early adopter.

Exactly. I never play the first day of the season, just like i never buy the first version of a new Electronic Device. I’ll let the early adopters be the guinea pigs and read about it on here.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

Answer
Working as intended (in theory anyways). It’s suppose to be challenging as players needs to try hard for the certain matches now. Only difference, it’s not as difficult as season 2 where matches really were lopsided. If it was any easier, like a pure 50/50 matchmaking system, then the best grinders would hit Legendary first.

S2, we saw a lot more players in “mmr hell” while others reached Legendary, albiet, they still had that 3-4 game lose streak on occassion. Now players are segregated at the very start of the season (this is good) and the players in mmr hell who were stuck in Ruby will be playing against other in Amber etc. Players in Legendary will go against each other in Sapphire.

Thanks. I see your point about it supposedly being more challenging and therefore we hopefully won’t see ridiculous wins/losses (at least that’s what I think you’re saying) and it’ll be more of a ‘fight’ than a bust situation, which is good yes. Personally, I was stuck in T5 Sapphire for the majority of last season because my w/l ratio was 50/50, so I hope at least this season I get better set ups in solo queue so I can push through. Once I got to Ruby I had the biggest win streak of 12 matches in a row and that was the only time it really felt good, and not because I was winning, but because the games seemed more even and challenging.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

500 – 400 ++ means close games, means the match making is working.

but i hate close games, especially if my team loses.
all those effort, in the end, still minus one pip.

easy plus one pip.

At least you are honest about what most posters in these forums actually want instead of the usual lies everyone on here tells about how they want close matches.

As for my experience yesterday I went 5-5 with a bunch of close ones and only 2 blowouts (1-1). So far so good, I got my wings so I am just here for good matches now, dont care about tier or division.

in PvP

Mightybird.6034

Just posting new results, not bragging. Previously said I was 50-50. Now I am at about a 60% win rate. Played maybe 20-25ish games, and am tier 3 saphire now.

I think part of the lopsided matches on day one has a lot to do with 1. rusty people coming back 2. people trying new builds.

I think this system is probably the best we’ve had so far and we should see better games by next week.

in PvP

Posted by: jomir.1958

jomir.1958

season 3 we get both
i.e.

red – blue
8 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8
8 – 9
9 – 8

6 – 7
6 – 5
5 – 5
5 – 4
4 – 4

4 – 5
4 – 5
4 – 6
5 – 6
5 – 7

i still don’t get it. how is this different to S2? all the good players in one team all the bad ones in the other… (everybody in +/-15 pip range).

in PvP

Mightybird.6034

jomir, it is a much smaller deviation than s2. In s2 you could have the equivalent of ESL players on one team, and joe smoe on the other. Now its much closer. And if the “worse” players make better plays they can much more easily win.

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Well in this season they try to make sure that the five better folks are rated just above you, instead of it being two completely randomly selected teams of similar MMR which coulld result in a team with say a MMR ranging around 10 vs a team ranging around 1000.

Now if MMR actually meant anything this would mean that the underdogs iin our new 500 vs 550 match up, had a better chance of actually winning (say maybe a 30% chance).

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

However none of this works when the way you calculate MMR is based on a teams performance and not the individuals contribution to that team.

The fallacy in logic is that if a player contributes very well to their team their MMR would consequently go up. It is entirely possible that it won’t because there are two many other players which represent variables.

in PvP

Posted by: jomir.1958

jomir.1958

jomir, it is a much smaller deviation than s2. In s2 you could have the equivalent of ESL players on one team, and joe smoe on the other. Now its much closer. And if the “worse” players make better plays they can much more easily win.

why? when everybody has the same amount of pips and the algorithm finds 10 players in “pip-range” you can still end up with 5 noobs at one side and 5 esl players on the other….
especially in the beginning of the season (no taking the placement in account)

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

why? when everybody has the same amount of pips and the algorithm finds 10 players in “pip-range” you can still end up with 5 noobs at one side and 5 esl players on the other….

No everyone doesn’t. . Some player started in amber, some in emetald and other in saphire.

(edited by Fivedawgs.4267)

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

No everyone doesn’t. . Some player started in amber, some in emetald and other in saphire.

No, he’s correct. Matchmaking forms teams by grouping players of similar MMR/Glicko within a certain Pip range. Thus, within the Pip range, it will group together players with higher win rates and group players of lower win rates. Giving us poor matches and mostly blow outs. I find it morally reprehensible to form teams this way. It would be the equivalent of NFL giving the standing Superbowl Champions the first draft choice. Instead, the NFL is smart enough to give the first draft choice to the last place team to help create balanced teams. Anet should take a lesson from them.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

No, he’s correct. Matchmaking forms teams by grouping players of similar MMR/Glicko within a certain Pip range. Thus, within the Pip range, it will group together players with higher win rates and group players of lower win rates. Giving us poor matches and mostly blow outs. I find it morally reprehensible to form teams this way. It would be the equivalent of NFL giving the standing Superbowl Champions the first draft choice. Instead, the NFL is smart enough to give the first draft choice to the last place team to help create balanced teams. Anet should take a lesson from them.

Oh the pip range, I ll look into it. And my response was to his assertion that everyone start in amber or whatever.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

easy plus one pip.

I am the complete opposite. Since i actually want fun enjoyable games and don’t give a flying %$#@ about the legendary backpiece. (in that the backpiece is not the number 1,2 or 3 reason for me to play sPvP)

So for me, winning blow out games is boring and not a means to an end. I’d rather have fun exciting matches where you have to play your best to clinch that win. Ive lost my fair share of close games in past and yes it hurts but they were fun none the less.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Rigante.2470

Rigante.2470

I want whatever is the closest approximation of skill and imo thats being grouped with people your own skill level and taking on all comers within your pip range in the queue. The reason that might lead to a lot of blow outs is the smallish player base and the extremely wide discrepency in the level of skill between people. My experience with pvp in just about every game Ive played is about 1/3 of the playerbase are sharks and the rest are whales. Mixing in the sharks with the whales to help the whales win more games does nothing positive for ranking people according to skill level. The answer imo is for the whales to become sharks. All this presupposes we want league placement to be a reflection of skill. Its obvious that most don’t want it to be.

in PvP

Mightybird.6034

No you can’t. I promise you neither us will ever face any ESL players.

If an ESL player was a 10 and we were fives (wtf 5 s is censored? nospace), we’d face 4-6s. We’d never face 7-10s.

in PvP

Posted by: Maeth.1706

Maeth.1706

I see ppl super lucky here..
With the current season track, i have 8 wins out of 32 matches, obviously at 0 pips of sapphire.. im always always always on the bad team, the one that have amber players and the one matched against 3, 4 or 5 q teams.

So what the kitten is going on.

Why the kitten i keep getting queued with the same kittenty guardian if we lost 6 games in a row being on the same team.

Why the kitten im always with the same 2, 3 players if we lost the last matches.

PLS PLS PLS Anet, add a kitteng “lose pips | lose tier” for every Division… and make ppl lose divisions starting on sapphire so we can have a clean roster / queue. I choose longer queue times before 1 min queues with kittenty gameplay.

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I want whatever is the closest approximation of skill and imo thats being grouped with people your own skill level and taking on all comers within your pip range in the queue. The reason that might lead to a lot of blow outs is the smallish player base and the extremely wide discrepency in the level of skill between people. My experience with pvp in just about every game Ive played is about 1/3 of the playerbase are sharks and the rest are whales. Mixing in the sharks with the whales to help the whales win more games does nothing positive for ranking people according to skill level. The answer imo is for the whales to become sharks. All this presupposes we want league placement to be a reflection of skill. Its obvious that most don’t want it to be.

The first priority isn’t to support or create E plumpuous Peni, it’s to create fun for as many as possible. Having fun sustains the mode and the game in general. To have fun, matches need to be close enough to be challenging. Yesterday, I played right at the start for several hours straight. I endured 9 straight blowouts. 9 blowouts are not fun or entertaining. Luckily, the last 4 matches were a bit closer and I finally had 3 wins. Anet is simply blessed they have customers as forgiving as we are.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Mightybird.6034

I wanted div loss at first. But now I don’t think the game is in a competitive enough mindset to handle it. I think it would decrease PvP pop.

After seeing the competitive atmosphere forming around OW (and it was only beta) the mindset and the people just aren’t here to support a true comp system.

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I wanted div loss at first. But now I don’t think the game is in a competitive enough mindset to handle it. I think it would decrease PvP pop.

After seeing the competitive atmosphere forming around OW (and it was only beta) the mindset and the people just aren’t here to support a true comp system.

Basically this ^.

Most of the players in this game are not competitive players and thus have a hard time losing games and going 50/50. They want an experience more like PvE where you die occasionally but 95%+ of the time you just roll over the mobs and have casual fun. There is nothing wrong with that outlook, I enjoy casual fun as much as the next guy. I have also played some form of DOTA for like 10 years and I like actual competitive communities.

BTW, this is why ANet designed the league system in a way that you can get all the rewards just by playing and grinding it. They know their playerbase, as much as people here refuse to admit it.

in PvP

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

isnt it a huge problem when the design is for 50% /50%
how can you go up if its like this in average as it mean you won 1 game and next 1 you lose or supposed to lose.
if its only by strike than also you had 3 wins so it mean you gonna have 3 losses.

how does it qualify my personal rating when i also cant control my team actions only mines.

in PvP

Posted by: Kaishina.6584

Kaishina.6584

I’m on a 11 win streak and got bored almost climbed to sapphire in one day.

I don’t know what 50/50 is but it seems that now the team with the more skill wins and is no more metabattle dependent.

I have to admit developers and balance team did a great job since everything is perfectly balanced now.

Let’s hope they don’t shift things up again to stay polite and keep the classes this way.

Pro tip : Gather skilled friends to play with you or recruit people on your team only if they can beat you 1v1 so that you know they are better than you. If you lose then you are the one who suck. If not then you synchronize pretty good.

If you need further details on the pro tip don’t hesitate.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

isnt it a huge problem when the design is for 50% /50%
how can you go up if its like this in average as it mean you won 1 game and next 1 you lose or supposed to lose.
if its only by strike than also you had 3 wins so it mean you gonna have 3 losses.

how does it qualify my personal rating when i also cant control my team actions only mines.

if that was the case, i wouldnt have a 60% winrate. You are supposed to rank up by outplaying your opponents. You are both on equal level, so the smartest camp win. You have no idea how many games i have won, because the other team made 1 mistake. A single mistake is what it take to turn the game around.

or this

I’m on a 11 win streak and got bored almost climbed to sapphire in one day.

I don’t know what 50/50 is but it seems that now the team with the more skill wins and is no more metabattle dependent.

I have to admit developers and balance team did a great job since everything is perfectly balanced now.

Let’s hope they don’t shift things up again to stay polite and keep the classes this way.

Pro tip : Gather skilled friends to play with you or recruit people on your team only if they can beat you 1v1 so that you know they are better than you. If you lose then you are the one who suck. If not then you synchronize pretty good.

If you need further details on the pro tip don’t hesitate.

There is a guy who is almost diamond, i bet he is playing with a team. And i have friends on a 9 win streak (team). I enjoy solo q ing, soyeha, not complaining,.

And great job @anet

(edited by Fivedawgs.4267)

in PvP

Posted by: assassin.7895

assassin.7895

having not played at all for a month im so lucky im not dedicated and do not play this game anymore. this would give me such an annoying headache

wow

pity to all the winners who still play this game lmao

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

My games are generally 1 sided stomp wins or barely losing losses with a few 1 sided stomp losses.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

No you can’t. I promise you neither us will ever face any ESL players.

If an ESL player was a 10 and we were fives (wtf 5 s is censored? nospace), we’d face 4-6s. We’d never face 7-10s.

I’m a 6, maybe. Faced muffinz, chaith and phantaram twice, together… lol. Oh and one guy was a ruby all while i was t2 saph.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

This feels like playing unranked, to me. Getting people on my team that cap points with other players while holding hands and can’t fight battles they outnumber.