[suggestion] Gate Ranked games

in PvP

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I’ve had it up to here with random teams and their “quality” in ranked. Everytime i wish to play and not be forced to wait for my premade team members to log in at same time (people with jobs and lives) i’m literally just selecting how many games i wish to lose today.

Seriously, it’s time to gate this stuff. Ranked is the highest level of spvp gameplay and fresh players should not be allowed to join.
Teams lose and it makes people furious. Newbies get destroyed verbally for sinking their team to the bottom and that’s also not a good experience.

There should be a required number of matches won in unranked with a given profession before you gain access to ranked games with that profession. You don’t have to be godly, average is ok, but no person who doesn’t know the ropes of their profession in pvp should be allowed to do ranked.

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

very good suggestion!
one of many others suggested a hundret times and more – since over 2 years. i remember a cdi where people said “rank 10+ to join unranked; 50+ unranked games (or wins) to join ranked”
anet said they are listening.
i believe them, i just dont know what they are listening to

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Not sure if a gate is needed but at the very least completely new players should be given the lowest MMR possible to ensure that they are mostly paired with other complete beginners. For some reason completely new players are given an average matchmaking rating. It doesn’t make any sense to me.

in PvP

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

So you suggest if I buy a second account I should have to be forced to hotjoin my way to ranked with every class?

in PvP

Posted by: Darklimbo.1476

Darklimbo.1476

I had the same idea a couple of months ago. You just cant let a new player join ranked games.Like you did with dungeons. Can anyone enter Arah before 80? its impossible. Do the same with Ranked. You have all the intel and information you need to choose which rank is the best to start playing Ranked games.

For example 1-30 can join only practice, 30-60 Unranked 60-80 Ranked games, with the same rewards for everyone.

The River Dragon has come

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I think Unranked should be available to everyone so that they can get used to actually playing as a team with other players. Hotjoin is hardly an effective teacher for how actual games go down. I do agree, however, that Ranked should be gated until at least rank 20 or something around there to ensure that they’ve played PvP sufficiently to hopefully understand all of the critical mechanics.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: Czerny.6530

Czerny.6530

It doesn’t even need to be a huge gate. Just make it 10 unranked wins to play ranked. If you haven’t grasped the basic mechanics of sPvP after winning 10 times, no amount of practice will help you.

in PvP

ZeftheWicked.3076

10 wins is way too low. Even if they grasp the basics of sPvP, you really expect them to grasp basics of maps with just 10 wins? Like for example how to efficiently treb at Kyhlo, or the buff timers, locations and value @ temple of silent storms. Heck i often run into matches where one team doesn’t even have one person at the spot when tranquility buff appears for taking…

in PvP

Posted by: Czerny.6530

Czerny.6530

You don’t need any of those things to get into ranked play. I maintain a 65% winrate at 150+ games solo and I’ve never used the treb in kyhlo once. Nor could I tell you the buff timers on forest or temple. Nor have I ever Lord rushed on Foefire. Even getting into mid-high levels of play all you really need to know is how to stand on the point and not play your class terribly.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP:

No. Anyone should be allowed to play. The better solution is…. wait for it… a matchmaking system that actually works.

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

@OP:

No. Anyone should be allowed to play. The better solution is…. wait for it… a matchmaking system that actually works.

No one is saying new players shouldn’t be allowed to play. They just wouldn’t be allowed to play ranked, which is pretty reasonable. Many games has some requirements for ranked play, why gw2 shouldn’t? Is it really that bad to ask new players to learn the game first before trying to compete alongside players that have thousands and thousands games played? I don’t think so. As you think it might not be fair to restrict them from playing, I also don’t think it’s fair many games are frustrating just because you have new people on your team/enemy team, when you want to enjoy some nice gameplay.

Functional matchmaking still could have issues when players with 0 games join ranked queue and frankly I don’t think there is enough people in the pvp playerbase to have flawless matchmaking.

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

I don’t think Ranked needs to be gated to not include newbies.

What I think matchmaking lacks is an account for games played. Like if someone has 100 matches don’t match them with players with thousands of games under their belt. Because when that happens the person with thousands of games played obviously will have picked up some strategy in that time and newer players can tank their MMR by having FPS (fancy play syndrome) like, “I’m distracting them by attacking their base!”.

Honestly want solo queue back. Because I don’t think you can develop a proper matchmaking syndrome under current conditions.

in PvP

ZeftheWicked.3076

One does not simply have 65% wins ratio in ranked with random teammates.

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

You don’t need any of those things to get into ranked play. I maintain a 65% winrate at 150+ games solo and I’ve never used the treb in kyhlo once. Nor could I tell you the buff timers on forest or temple. Nor have I ever Lord rushed on Foefire. Even getting into mid-high levels of play all you really need to know is how to stand on the point and not play your class terribly.

You have 99 ranked games and are 64-35 according to GW2 score. I also noticed you got off to a start of 32-12 and since then are a more realistic 32-23. Play another 100 games and I would be amazed if you were above 55% at the end. The less games you play the more of a chance you got lucky or carried if you solo.

(edited by brannigan.9831)