utility skills and stun breakers

in PvP

Posted by: rastaman.1905

rastaman.1905

i think that if you removed all stun break and stability effect from all utility skills (and class skills and traits) and give every class a stun breaker and a stability by default (say a 25 sec cd stun breaker and a 40sec cd 5 sec 5 stack stability for example), it would promote the use of some underused utility skills, encourage build diversity and generally improve balance. of course that would require changing a lot of utility skills with stability and stun break effects (not that the rest of the utility skills could not use some work) and i still dont see some completely useless skills (like thief traps for example) gaining popularity, but i think that it would generally be a good thing. the way things are right now, there is just no reason to go for glyphs over cantrips, or physicals over stances etc. even with the proposed changes, i think that some currently popular utility skills would remain more popular than all the other alternatives (like stances, shadow arts and cantrips).

another idea i got is introducing more block + counterattack skills into the game (like the ranger greatsword 4 or warrior mace 2), it would make reading your opponent and anticipating his moves a more important part of the game and make the game play more entertaining, at least from my perspective. also, giving every counterattack a brief stun would make things even more interesting. i always found it very satisfying to block a backbreaker with ranger gs 4 and and than knock the war down. or getting my backstab blocked by ranger gs 4, noticing it in time and dodging the 5-6k counterattack. giving every weapon a 6th counterattack skill would do the trick nicely i think.

(edited by rastaman.1905)

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

I wanted this from the start, a sort of “stunbreak slot” probably won’t happen though.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

rastaman.1905

I wanted this from the start, a sort of “stunbreak slot” probably won’t happen though.

yeah it would have been nice to have it from the start, but i would settle for in 1 month

in PvP

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Or you could lower the amount of hard cc. Higher activation times+obvious animations, higher cool downs etc. There were times where 1 stun break was enough.

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

Remove all the breakstun and stability effects from the utitlity skills of all classes and youìll see only CC in the game. Both www and spsp.

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

Omg, why does it have to be by default?? OMG, these post are getting down right stupid. I mean Anet gives you the choice to customized your skill bar so why do you want a stun break by default?? And even if they did, what make you think it’s going to suddenly increase build diversity?? You are dangerously underestimating our psyche, because people want to win. Even if they implemented what you’ve asked, people would still use the next OPEST build.

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

The CC in GW2 is about as tame as CC in a game can get.

in PvP

rastaman.1905

Omg, why does it have to be by default?? OMG, these post are getting down right stupid. I mean Anet gives you the choice to customized your skill bar so why do you want a stun break by default?? And even if they did, what make you think it’s going to suddenly increase build diversity?? You are dangerously underestimating our psyche, because people want to win. Even if they implemented what you’ve asked, people would still use the next OPEST build.

i dont always the play opest build and many other people also do not (and you dont too probably). even the pros get bored of the same build and play something else that is not the opests atm (say like phanta liked to sometimes play the old fresh air ele over dd ele while streaming). all i am saying that it would be nice if i could consider taking bulls charge instead of defy pain while still keeping the ability to stun break. or taking arcane thievery over blink etc. a lot of utilities, like judges intervention for example) are really strong even without the stun break abilities they have. i can never consider taking bane signet over judges intervention. but if i could keep my stun break ability i might consider bane signet. sure you would have to tune some abilities that would be pure crap without the stun break effect (like balanced stance for example), but overall it would help the other less popular (and more crappy utility spells to become more interesting and see an increase in use.