What'd you do if you were president of ANET?

in PvP

Posted by: online.1278

online.1278

Assume that you are the president of Arenanet, and currently your company’s main game only has like 200~300 viewers in twitch (like attached photo), and you also know that the stock(Share) of your company is eventually decreasing (even tho it is true or not, it is just hypothesis)

But also you know that, you had normally 3000+ viewers, jusy only FEW MONTHS ago, it was rising game. (Which means, there would be possibility to rise again)

In this case, what would you do as the president of this company??

I actually very wonder of it.

Any message that sounds like a complete negative (i.e. sell the company or stock), i will ignore. Please give us only CONSTRUCTIVE message, then i won’t ignore but reply.

Honestly i love this game, but kinda also feel bad that it has been experiencing such a bad state, like you see now. Hope any comment you make in this post would help people in terms of more bigger mindset & bigger scale vision.

Thx!

Attachments:

The Korean Gamer (Best Warrior NA)
My Stream : http://www.twitch.tv/eSportsKorea see me vs Tarcis, Chaith, Crysis and etc!

(edited by online.1278)

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Make Guild Wars 3.

in PvP

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

fire balance team re-hire

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

find Jessica Alba’s husband because apparently I now have body switching powers.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in PvP

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

find Jessica Alba’s husband because apparently I now have body switching powers.

+1. Beat me to it good sir.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in PvP

online.1278

i don’t know what it mean in terms of anet’s situation, but it sounds like you want to divorce and re-marry to new wife, which is Jessica Alba in your story, when everything become abnormal. Applying this theory into our case, divorce gw2 and marry something new? -.-

My Stream : http://www.twitch.tv/eSportsKorea see me vs Tarcis, Chaith, Crysis and etc!

(edited by online.1278)

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Funny, I was about to make a similar post on Reddit. Here it goes:

I just want to make it absolutely clear this isn’t a QQ thread or a complaint thread, but merely a hypothetical insight thread.

1. I would first of all buy all the latest and greatest server hardware, lots of enterprise solution NVMe SSD’s, liquid cooling, Skylake Xeons, and the latest Tegras as well as get started on SEA servers as Southeast Asians and Australians always seem to have issues in this department in western games. This includes state of the art workstations for the devs.

2.Bring in talent from Sega and Heroes of Newearth to help the current balancing team with balance. My personal request from above would be separating PvE and PvP balance. WvW would have a mix between the two (PvE stats but cooldowns and skill duration would be based off PvP.) Stuns would last longer in PvE because vet and elite mobs have much higher health pools than players so to account for that stuns would be shorter in PvP though still useful.

3. Request adaptive AI supermobs for all maps, they’d be picked from a random pool of monsters just randomly plopped down anywhere. So you could see a supermob Shadow Leaper, teagariff, etc., in Orr, any starter zone, or anywhere else part of the overworld. They can and will interrupt events, even metas, but rewards for beating them would be excellent. Big zergs would have very credible chances of losing against them as scaling also effects how many abilities they have access to not just their stats. They would strike once per hour in the world (not an hour per map.)

4.Add a new PvP map that combines some elements from Voidstar and Alterac Valley. You would need to charge at certain points in order to advance while preventing the other side from doing so. There would be bridges, choke points, and no NPCs. Whoever gets to the middle and channels at the finish first wins.

5. Stronghold with a purely channeling at fort map. You need to bust down doors manually and teams are in 20’s. Some could agree to offense or defense, just don’t let the other side channel at your fort (flag raising)! Choke points, hills, maze like areas, and players must cross a middle forcing a meeting between them.

6.I’d pretty much leave the story team to their own devices (well, I’d do that for all but have a list of ideas), but request they find a way to allow an arc where the Inquest captures and researches Jormag. I’d also have skater gear armor (all weight types) and skateboarding masteries for a new expansion. Why? Because skateboarding’s cool and there’d be skater music too. Rule of cool would be the name of the game in the new expansion but still be well integrated with the overall mood and feel of the game. I’d also have strong kungkittenthemes and Cantha. For example monk would be a new elite class for thief. Monk has only two endurance bars, but great at single target CC and burst while also having good sustained healing. His weapon would be barehands (no weapons equipped) which would have ascended mender’s stats and tiger claw is skill 2 and causes blind, skill 3 roundhouse causes daze on the third kick if all connect, skill 4 is chi wave that’s a stronger, wider radius solar beam (druid autoattack) but cost initiative, and his elite bicycle kick is like unrelenting assault and Liu-Kang’s special move but being an elite will obviously be much better than UA in that it focuses on a target instead of spreading out and ignores blocks and stealth.

7. Work on an entirely new game that mixes MOBA mechanics with fighting game mechanics. Once per battle you can challenge another player to a duel where it’s purely a one on one 2D fighting game and the loser would have a much longer respawn time than if he lost normally on the map. Talent from Virtua Fighter would be used for balancing and you would have seven abilities on your skillbar but on the overmap you’d still have health bars and fighting game mechanics like entering certain controller plus button sequences for special moves. Not all moves will be available in the MOBA/fighter mode with the overhead movement. The fighting game mode would be like its own instance but backgrounds would be specific to specific maps.

Since it would be five per team you could theoretically enter six duels, once when you challenge someone and five other times if the other team all decides to duel you at different points. Fighting game mode is purely 1v1 and forced (cannot refuse) if you have a challenger so you can’t have 2v1’s in it (the MOBA battle, which is the main battle however is another story altogether).

The special moves would be attached to your “1” and “2” abilities before or during key thumbpad movements. There would be no EXP or money system but still some NPCs (cannot be engaged in dueling mode).

Controls: controller is encouraged, something like the X-Box PC gamepad but with more responsive and sensitive thumbsticks (aiming arrows in Dark Souls was a nightmare :( ) would be optimal. I’d even collaborate with people from Steam and Razer to ensure I have top notch responsive controls and ensure maximum compatibility with their products (Razer and Steam make good controllers.)

Heroes: One knows Karate and Jeet-Kune-Do and moves fast and would be high tier at top levels but bad for new players, a strong slow hero who is good at lower tiers but as players get more skilled usefulness wanes and boxes, a warlock who is mid-tier at every level of play, mid-high tier speed, and knows Kenpo and tiger style Kung-Foo, and a healer who is low-mid tier at DPS, knows crane Kung-Foo and Aikdo for single target CC, and some other heroes I haven’t thought of.

8. Move most stuff server side to avoid speed and ESP hackers, though Phantasy Star 2 very early on had hackers move stuff around so not fool proof but should make it easier to detect.

9. Get some Guild Wars 2 ads on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, MTV, AMC, Discovery Family, A&E, HBO, Comedy Central, Al-Jazeera, Pivot, Boomerang, and other stations.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

in PvP

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I’d say that, at this point, what the President can do is pretty limited. I’m sure that in the pitch to investors to create HoT, there were established some very explicit metrics (tied ultimately to revenue increases) that had to be met. Were they met? And if so, will they trigger the next phase of the expansion that is already on the boards and being worked on?

I think the real question is, “Are the investors in the company happy with the return on their investment, enough so that they want to continue working with the current management?” If not, then there will probably be some wholesale changes in management, and a new team will make a sales pitch regarding the direction the game should take in the future.

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Probably invade a foreign MMO. Maybe Azeroth or something. Slaughter the men, take the women as salt wives, enslave the children.

Also trains on time.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

If I were The Queen at ANET;

I’d minimize the Pro PVP. It’s a non productive burden at this point, The money would be much better spent hiring several devs to help shore up critical areas.

My media policy would be to make no statement or promise that had not already been implemented. ANET’s credibility gap would be a priority concern for me.

The devs would need to be looked at very carefully to determine if personal agendas are overriding the team agenda of improving the game.

At least my lead devs would interact on forum, every business day. I’m aware that this would be non productive or even counter productive sometimes on a micro scale. The benefit would be that it would demonstrate to the players that the company was listening. More importantly, it would demonstrate that the company cared.

I’d re – establish GW1 as a design model. GW1 is still going strong and self sustaining. Clearly it’s getting a lot right.

GW2 has so much potential, if it can be saved from itself.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Fund Cyberpunk 2077 or new Vampire The Masquerade game.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

Close this subforum

Stella Truth Seeker

in PvP

online.1278

I’d minimize the Pro PVP. It’s a non productive burden at this point, The money would be much better spent hiring several devs to help shore up critical areas.

My media policy would be to make no statement or promise that had not already been implemented. ANET’s credibility gap would be a priority concern for me.

The devs would need to be looked at very carefully to determine if personal agendas are overriding the team agenda of improving the game.

At least my lead devs would interact on forum, every business day. I’m aware that this would be non productive or even counter productive sometimes on a micro scale. The benefit would be that it would demonstrate to the players that the company was listening. More importantly, it would demonstrate that the company cared.

I’d re – establish GW1 as a design model. GW1 is still going strong and self sustaining. Clearly it’s getting a lot right.

Very intelligent guy here -.-;
Like, i 99% agree on this.

i left here only 1% difference becuz, his statement works when anet want to keep their game being mmorpg genre rather than eSports-oriented like they were pursuing which has been shown to us.

(edited by online.1278)

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I’d be very worried that Left4Dead 2 has only 33 fewer viewers.

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

This money was already stated as a promotional thing from esl, none of it came from gw2/anet pockets (I still get a chuckle from the people that think they do), so I’m still confused why people think this money is anet pouring their souls into esports when esl is fronting the bill, it’s almost like people lack basic comprehension.

You can’t reintroduce a dedicated healer into guild wars 2, hence my succinct description of “Guild Wars 3” bring back skill shots in the game and give it the guild wars 1 gamemode with a gw2 facelift.

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

….rub my hands together thinking of the next expansion release which will contain even more ridiculous unbalanced elites, because that’s what sells, and therefore I make more money. Hurray!!

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Roll around in my loads of money of course.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Roll around in my loads of money of course.

^^^this and force anet dev team to make summer beach outfit for gem store -> more money

who cares about pvp~

realistically managers don’t give a flying kitten about community, player base and what we like

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I would delete PvP from the game and concentrate on PvE+WvW.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

are you honestly trying to compare twitch numbers to an MMO that just came out in the west? People are watching it because they want to know what it is like because they make the Download. Even LoL streamers are just trying it out between Queue times because it is “the new thing”

Once people find out how monotonous the questing is, how unforgiving latency is, and how locked behind paywalls the entire cosmetic system is, the numbers will drop again

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

move from MMO pvp to flat pvp.
players were allowed only to chose what class play.

in PvP

Posted by: Berry Pun Pup.6904

Berry Pun Pup.6904

Abandon ship probably.

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

ArenaNet is a business, not a charity. That means it exists to make a profit.

Is GW2 making a money? Keep doing what makes money.

Is PvP making money when you spend money on it? Or is the money lost?

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”