what is the best 1v1 class right now

in PvP

Posted by: ItsKevlo.5923

ItsKevlo.5923

Q:

hey guys, im new to the game and i need to make a decision based on this question.

What is the best class for a pvp duel scenario, 1vs1 ? present me a top 3 order please and what are their main weapons ( e.g: Elementalist dagger/dagger )

thanks in the future

in PvP

Posted by: Elementalist Owner.7802

Elementalist Owner.7802

Probably warrior

The Art of Roaming [gank]

in PvP

Posted by: Wisdom.4712

Wisdom.4712

In my opinion, warrior would be absolutely at the bottom right above necromancer. Both are trash.

Condichrono if you want to stomp.

Science like nature must also be tamed, with a view toward its preservation.

in PvP

Posted by: Rarnark.5623

Rarnark.5623

Prolly condo mes with disenchanter?

Spirit Bae
Bad Boy Teenager Club [BBTC]
twitch.tv/rarnark

in PvP

Posted by: Midi.8359

Midi.8359

Depends what kind of scenario you’re thinking of. Do you want to kill the enemy quickly in a duel? Or do you want to be able to sustain on a point for a long time in a “duel” without getting killed, but at the same time not giving up a cap?

The first doesn’t really happen with how many invulns there are in this game. For the latter I’d say either a bunker druid or hammer engi are the best. Chrono condi is up there too.

in PvP

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Duelist generally refers to something that can duel many opponents and win, generally non bunkery opponents. In that case, Mesmer all the way.

in PvP

Posted by: bluri.2653

bluri.2653

Scrapper is by far the strongest 1v1er atm

Sindrener – Rank55 Dragons/Orange Logo/Team Aggression
http://www.twitch.tv/sindrenerr

in PvP

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

Even against a strong condi bomber ? I play scrapper meta and mesmer meta but there are some situation in which i find scrapper easier… other i find condi mesmer easier, especially good condi necro …

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

engineer or mesmer tbh

I wish warrior was up there, but we were only allowed a brief period of being viable it seems.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

bluri.2653

Even against a strong condi bomber ? I play scrapper meta and mesmer meta but there are some situation in which i find scrapper easier… other i find condi mesmer easier, especially good condi necro …

Yes, mender engi has no issues surviving vs mes whatsoever. The only class that technically could kill a mender engi would be a revenant but that would require rev to sit in 1v1s which is unlikely because that’s an easy +1. If engi play pala amu he could stalemate that too but becomes weaker vs mes.

Previously mender engi had issues with power war but after the nerfs no problems.

So if pala amulet mes kills engi
if mender amulet revenant can kill engi

meanwhile mes loses to dh/engi

sorry i forgot, necro also kills engi 1v1 but that’s even less realistic

just go mender/water rune

(edited by bluri.2653)

in PvP

PierPiero.9142

so the easier way to go is mender engi , not paladin. I went paladin but against some condi necro i found it hard …

in PvP

choovanski.5462

Menders engi with proper use of combo finshers is almost imortal. I actually stopped playing scrapper in pvp because it was too boring & easy. Gunflame Warrior is much more fun for me.

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

Menders engi with proper use of combo finshers is almost imortal. I actually stopped playing scrapper in pvp because it was too boring & easy. Gunflame Warrior is much more fun for me.

I miss risk/reward gameplay pre HoT. Only cele ele was could fight without end.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in PvP

Posted by: ZiggyStardust.3194

ZiggyStardust.3194

juat take whatever condi spam. You won’t learn anything, you don’t need any skill, but you will kill power people quite easy .

Don’t waste your hard earned pennies for the broken game!

in PvP

choovanski.5462

juat take whatever condi spam. You won’t learn anything, you don’t need any skill, but you will kill power people quite easy .

that’s a good idea if people want to kill you specifically. as an added bonus, it seems the said killing will also bother you to the extent that you write a post on the forums about it. so its like a special deal i guess?

conversely if they want to kill me (someone playing warrior who can manage condi cleanses) i would suggest they play menders engineer. i dont offer a special deal quite as good as yours, but i might shed one single tear for the EP & SB nerfs.

(edited by choovanski.5462)

in PvP

Posted by: ZiggyStardust.3194

ZiggyStardust.3194

that’s a good idea if people want to kill you specifically. as an added bonus, it seems the said killing will also bother you to the extent that you write a post on the forums about it. so its like a special deal i guess?

conversely if they want to kill me (someone playing warrior who can manage condi cleanses) i would suggest they play menders engineer. i dont offer a special deal quite as good as yours, but i might shed one single tear for the EP & SB nerfs.

to kill you specifically? Are you from this game? Have you noticed insane stacks of condi coming from thieves? Yes, there are classes who can counter it, but I think people should play what they enjoy to play? I like power thief, why should I play condi nonsense just to win something? Also, don’t forget that you can have just duo queue so it’s just luck what builds your team mate will play. With condi thief you just press few buttons and you give loads of stacks of condi to anyone, you can’t cleanse so fast. 80% of players are running condi builds just because they are OP now, and will be. It’s fact that PVP is extremely unbalanced, and more balance patches coming, more unbalanced it’s. So, if you want to win and have no skill, just play condi build, and I am not talking about harder specs like engi or mesmer, take simple condi thief, or even p/p…you need no skill and you will kill more than you die. It’s if you’re not experienced player.

Don’t waste your hard earned pennies for the broken game!

in PvP

Posted by: ItsKevlo.5923

ItsKevlo.5923

thanks for the answers <3 much love

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Yes, mender engi has no issues surviving vs mes whatsoever. The only class that technically could kill a mender engi would be a revenant but that would require rev to sit in 1v1s which is unlikely because that’s an easy +1. If engi play pala amu he could stalemate that too but becomes weaker vs mes.

Previously mender engi had issues with power war but after the nerfs no problems.

So if pala amulet mes kills engi
if mender amulet revenant can kill engi

meanwhile mes loses to dh/engi

sorry i forgot, necro also kills engi 1v1 but that’s even less realistic

just go mender/water rune

You forgot the other 2 which is clearly condi mes and thief because infinite invulns, evades and blocks + teleport for daze!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Ranger and Engie has the most staying power against anything that is more limited in their cooldowns.

Thief against anything that isn’t a DH.

DH against anything that doesn’t have much staying power.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

Posted by: xp eke xp.6724

xp eke xp.6724

Thief is the only class that can´t loose a 1v1, if you loose a 1v1 as thief it´s cause you failed^^, but it doesn´t mean he wins every 1v1!

There is also a ranger, it´s the same with thief he can´t loose a 1v1 and also a 2v1 but it doesn´t mean he will win the fights.

All other classes have somewhere counters at the duells, ranger and thief have other counters => Like THE counter of thief is playing save as a team, the counter of ranger is that he can´t hold a point save against all classes (maybe a decap but never a full cap!) and ofc stealthburst wins against all but thats more about +1 or coordinated burstcombos, it´s effective against all klasses. You also can play 1v1 Builds in ranked/unranked but they are less effective for the team as the normal builds.

Means if you want to play a duell-build go on duell servers. So ask yourself why you play pvp and can pvp fitt your wishes about the game mode or where you get that. Gl

in PvP

Posted by: Gamble.4580

Gamble.4580

I got bored of all the meta in ranked in platinum at MO so went on my old school war zerker. I owned next 6 games I just fished far won all 1v1 and kite around fishing 2+ players why rest of team afk mid close killed w/e come. I think war is out of meta because of nerf making it easy to read but if played right it’s still t he best 1v1 and fishing class

[UNTY] Unity guild -AG server
Asura -Thief

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Would like to give honorable mention to ventari bunker rev. It can’t kill anything, but it only dies to necro and a proper moa burst. However it can decap, and subsequently full cap anything else extremely quickly, which is a sort of 1v1 win in conquest.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in PvP

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

in sPvp? a Hibrid Minion Necro, btw cuz its not a real 1vs1, but u vs necro+minions. Im in gold t3, unkillable in 1vs1, only in outnumbered situations.

Minion Necro vs Vanilla stun Warr: a Warr is very single target oriented, specially the stun spammer, the minions get him very confused.
Minion Necro vs Mesm: phantasm spams and condi spam become useless,and supossed he have hit all on u. The worst case scenario, the squish mes gotta killed by minions when try finish u.
Minion Necro vs Condi Necro: the squish necro gotta killed and condi becomes spreaded in minions.
Minion Necro vs Power Necro: kill him before he can kill u, ofc the minion spam mess up his atacks.
Minion Necro vs Condi Warr: real tough, he can burn u and minions easily, but since minion necro inst meta and inst common, are few warr that know how to counter it
Minion Necro vs Guards: very easily, scepter condi spam on him + minions proc all traps, make them useless and most weak. Only situation a guard can kill u is by surprise burn spam.
Minion Necro vs Engies: real challenge, engies have thougness, heals, damage and mobility.
Minion Necro vs Thievs: theyre so squish that minions solo him and u can stand still.

in PvP

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

1- Thief
2- Mesmer
3- Rev or Necro (depends who are you facing)

in PvP

bluri.2653

Ranger and Engie has the most staying power against anything that is more limited in their cooldowns.

Thief can’t beat engi/dh/druid/mesmer – rest takes too long, only 1v1 that would go quick enough to ever be worth even then it’s questionable depending on enemy comp and how you look mapwise, Revenant or Thief 1v1’s are fine usually then.

1- Thief
2- Mesmer
3- Rev or Necro (depends who are you facing)

1. Thief? good joke
2. Mesmer? Struggle against DH/Engi can kill druid but need a good moa burst with good follow up to kill usually a stalemate on neutral node
3. Necro? Why are you even allowed to post on these forums? Revenant? Sure we can maybe take ventari rev as a 1v1er then perhaps

(edited by bluri.2653)

in PvP

choovanski.5462

@everyone
listen to sindrener. he’s operating at a higher skill level than anyone else in this thread. he has more experience and a deeper understanding than anyone else here, myself included.

@ZiggyStardust
it speaks volumes about you as a player than you think playing condi thief or p/p is going to have more value than D/P. condi thief, and p/p (which is a power build btw) are both gimmick builds than can only trash terrible players. this is true for most condi builds. as soon as you encounter people who are not terrible and can actually manage cleanses, or have an ele on their team who can play properly all condi builds excluding necro and mesmer are miles worse than the power alternatives. hence the fact we have a power meta.

@anyone who thinks warrior is good 1v1
tells on our cc’s are far too long now for anyone decent to get locked down. EP was nerfed to the extent that we are pretty poor vs power builds (our sustain vs condi still rocks tho), we only have a 2sec invun and shield block (which is boarder line useless considering how common unblockables are). out time of viability is once again over. we are back to having to outskill anyone we want to beat again.

in PvP

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

I play a meta engi in PvP currently.

Most classes cannot beat me in 1v1. The closest it comes are really good necros (with impeccable senses of timing) or thieves with duelist builds. Mender engi currently has the most staying power.

However, if you want to kill someone in a duel… that’s a different story. Thief is good for that at the moment. Revenant is also capable if played well. I’ve never struggled on my Meditrapper DH.

Also, I fully expect scrapper to get nerfed soon and then us engis will have no viable builds.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

in PvP

Posted by: Sifu.9745

Sifu.9745

Thief, but only D/D one, other weapons sucks for 1 vs 1.

in PvP

Posted by: Verthurnax.2784

Verthurnax.2784

Every build with condi bomb apparantly …

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Honestly it completely depends on what skill level you are and what opponents you’re facing. Some of the advice you’re getting applies more to the higher end of pvp. These may be good 1v1 classes but they have a high skill ceiling.

For instance, I’ve been playing warrior this season and have found no problem winning most of my 1v1’s. But I’ve only been playing against gold level opponents. Once or if I get higher level opposition I’m sure that the build will start to be a disadvantage.

in PvP

choovanski.5462

Honestly it completely depends on what skill level you are and what opponents you’re facing. Some of the advice you’re getting applies more to the higher end of pvp. These may be good 1v1 classes but they have a high skill ceiling.

For instance, I’ve been playing warrior this season and have found no problem winning most of my 1v1’s. But I’ve only been playing against gold level opponents. Once or if I get higher level opposition I’m sure that the build will start to be a disadvantage.

i commonly get 20+ kills & 0 deaths in games. currently im playing almost exclusively gunflame warrior. i play infrequently so my rating decays all the time, so i get matched trashy players so my skill just trumps any build v build thats going on.

i don’t think these scenarios are good indication of a build being good for 1v1. greatsword rifle warrior is not something i would recommend as a good 1v1 build, the only reason i do well on it is personal skill.

there’s a ton of noob stomp builds, but i wouldn’t recommend relying on them. they are a crutch, & fall off when you have to play against good players. learning an actually good build is going to be far more rewarding long term.

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

5 shout paladin lb/gs ranger has unbeatable killing power in straight up 1v1s.
Engineer provides the strongest sustain out of the bunch and the greatest teamfight contribution.
Mesmer sage lb/sw sh gives the best rotation potential with 1v1 sustain.
Dh paladin sf / s sh has ridiculous damage with a weakness to +1s.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: jsp.6912

jsp.6912

for me it’s scrapper, this class has just 1 counter and it’s the necro (who never 1v1)
after druid,mesmer and dh.

in PvP

Posted by: Skittledness.5106

Skittledness.5106

Scrapper is the best all around and it’s also very hard to +1 since it has passive s and insane sustain.Disenchanter Mesmerv engi is a interesting matchup tho and it can go either way but it’s engi favor.
Also rev doesn’t beat menders engi if you play well.And even if u struggle in them at matchup,your rev is winning the teamfight and your thief can 1shot that rev at any time.

Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie

in PvP

Posted by: Marciolegal.3461

Marciolegal.3461

Me

in PvP

PierPiero.9142

Scrapper is the best all around and it’s also very hard to +1 since it has passive s and insane sustain.Disenchanter Mesmerv engi is a interesting matchup tho and it can go either way but it’s engi favor.
Also rev doesn’t beat menders engi if you play well.And even if u struggle in them at matchup,your rev is winning the teamfight and your thief can 1shot that rev at any time.

Perhaps mender scrapper is the strongest class for 1vs 1, i play it too since season 2 but in contest i find mesmer more effective, especially if in the team there is no other chronomancer.
Scrapper has low mobility in map so it is hard to 1 vs 1 against it but it is quite easy to outrotate . Meta chrono is really strong, it has a really good survivability with sage amulet and it has much better mobility ( but i understand that the question was about 1vs1 and about conquest ) and it is strong in 1vs 1 . For me i usually play scrapper mender, i switch to mesmer in 2 cases :
– 2 necro in other team becouse i find easier to survive to condi burst with mesmer
– none on my team has good mobility … i find mobility a strong plus in conquest

in PvP

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

@everyone
listen to sindrener. he’s operating at a higher skill level than anyone else in this thread. he has more experience and a deeper understanding than anyone else here, myself included.

Thanks for the laugh!

I know who he is. I watched pretty much every GW2 pvp tournament and hours of streams.

The funny thing is I saw him win 1v1s on teef against competent players on every other class in the game while he is constantly stating thief is underpowered. It’s ridiculous. Over the time you get the impression his general opinion is that when he has to actually work for a kill this must mean the class he plays is underpowered. Must be some kind of narcissism.

The ability of a teef to 100% control the fight has the potencial to defeat everything (on a high skill ceiling!). It’s just about tweaking a few things in your build depending on your encounter.

If you can’t control the fight because your class mechanic won’t let you against a certain opponent, you lose. It’s that simple.

(edited by KrHome.1920)

in PvP

bluri.2653

@everyone

Thanks for the laugh!

I know who he is. I watched pretty much every GW2 pvp tournament and hours of streams.

The funny thing is I saw him win 1v1s on teef against competent players on every other class in the game while he is constantly stating thief is underpowered. It’s ridiculous. Over the time you get the impression his general opinion is that when he has to actually work for a kill this must mean the class he plays is underpowered. Must be some kind of narcissism.

The ability of a teef to 100% control the fight has the potencial to defeat everything (on a high skill ceiling!). It’s just about tweaking a few things in your build depending on your encounter.

If you can’t control the fight because your class mechanic won’t let you against a certain opponent, you lose. It’s that simple.

Ok first of all we have to discuss wether this is in a 5v5 conquest game we talk about with node activated, or are you by some chance having wvw in your mindset when we talk about 1v1s? Because these two things differs a lot.

Let’s talk conquest 5v5 1v1s

1. You can pick whatever thief build you want in the game and duel Zan in a bo10 and I’ll tell you right now you won’t win a single duel with node activated, you want to make a deal? We can talk gold here. Doesn’t even have to be you, any thief in this game can duel him, ok?

2. The only solid 1v1 build that can duel in spvp conquest with node activated is Staff and it has 1 favourable matchup that is realistic on paper and that would be mesmer. You will not be able to kill a engi/dh/druid on staff, perhaps DH but you must play really well and if we take node into mind the DH can probably full cap you and it won’t really be worth it. He kites -> u neutral -> he fullcaps you – > you neutral etc etc

3. D/P dash meta can kill thief, revenant, necro(also takes long if they kite) and ele(ele can take at least 30+ seconds and D/P dash isn’t a duelist build so it’s just a waste of a slot, then you can just replace the D/P thief for a better duelist if you want to play like this.

The only time I’ve said thief is weak has been when me and helseth jokes about it, I do not by any circumstances think thief is underpowered or weak – then you clearly have never been on my streams or understand any sort of sarcasm, what I have argued about is that if you nerf certain things eventually thief will fall out of meta because the role is so specific being a +1/decap role and can’t possibly take 2v2s/3v3s versus good players. So what I mean is, if you already have issues to +1 certain classes what happens if you further nerf damage? Yes, D/P dash will fall out of meta and you will be forced into different builds that can’t compete with other bruiser builds as good, so in the end it will fall out of a meta comp.

Lastly lets say you by any chance pick a random build and can counter 1 class in it with thief, like a full duelist build. Do you understand what happens in conquest then? You get outrotated. A good example by this would be ventari rev which is near unkillable in a 1v1, maybe it even is I haven’t seen the full power of it but played good enough I would assume so, but it has zero killing potential. What else does it struggle with? Mobility. It’s slow and doesn’t offer the same things in a teamfight as other classes, unblockable CC’s, ranged CC’s or damage. It’s good in a 1v1 scenario where you can decap/fullcap eventually with knocks but what happens if you just leave the class there? Same will happen if you invent some random trash thief build that can counter a specific target. Just the same as let’s say you roll staff thief only to counter the mesmer? Do you know what he does? Puts portal and outrotates you. What did you just achieve with building for staff then if you don’t get in the situation you are supposed to?

in PvP

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

Ranger – Prebuild
Necro – staff/ sceptor/warhorn
Rev – staff/ i cannot remember

Guild Wars 2 Forever

in PvP

Posted by: xp eke xp.6724

xp eke xp.6724

It´s like allready said: we play a 5v5 game mode and atm we don´t really have an official 1v1 game mode only in the 1v1-player arena.

So having a good duellist is ok, if a team can play on it. But atm the teamplay is stronger cause of the synergies. A duellist fokus himself too much on singeltarget or has too much selfish traits/skills. Maybe he win every 1v1 but they cant win a 2v1 or survive it long enouth to help out at the teamfight-presure (so the 3v4).

Btw i think perma-dodge-thief is the best duellist, but it´s only in 1v1-server good. If we allow kitting everywhere it´s posible that power mes wins all matchups (cause moa op!) xD

So there are few different ideas of duellist:
- one that can survive every outnumber => taktikal means don´t fight there
- one that wins every 1v1 => he pressure a 2v1
- one that can survive every 1v1 and win some 1v1s => he force the right 1v1

Atm pvp is so balanced, that the last idea is the reallistic one and only playerskills make the other 2 optional.

To WvW, well we got much higher stats so buildwars gets more important then on pvp and the playerskills are more apart then on pvp. Doesn´t mean it´s less difficult in opposit thats the reason why some pvp player went to WvW cause a 2v1 is more difficult then a 1v1 even if you fight weak enermies and wvw don´t have fair matchups like a 5v5

the question is: how high has the fault tolerance to be, for making the game good? or what gamemodes we need to use the potential of different builds? And if i see what Arenanet do, is to work on the first point and the second with a huuuuuge break.

edit: yeah my english is bad, im still working on it

(edited by xp eke xp.6724)

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Meh, my teef has beaten both scrappers (a literal counter class) and condi chronos in 1v1 scenarios so to say they are the best may not be accurate. Its really hard to say who/what would be the best 1v1 as it boils down to skill.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in PvP

Posted by: Potato.2567

Potato.2567

There is no best 1v1 class; there is simply a group of the best 1v1 classES:
Mesmer, Druid, Guard are the best IMO.

RIP Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: inetson.1397

inetson.1397

@everyone

Thanks for the laugh!

Ok go play a thief and lets see how pro u are since u said thief has capability of defeat any classess more like its not a thieves role to sit and duel try to defeat someone

in PvP

Posted by: Ziffner.1958

Ziffner.1958

Ok first of all we have to discuss wether this is in a 5v5 conquest game we talk about with node activated, or are you by some chance having wvw in your mindset when we talk about 1v1s? Because these two things differs a lot.

Let’s talk conquest 5v5 1v1s

-snip-

3. D/P dash meta can kill thief, revenant, necro(also takes long if they kite) and ele(ele can take at least 30+ seconds and D/P dash isn’t a duelist build so it’s just a waste of a slot, then you can just replace the D/P thief for a better duelist if you want to play like this.

The only time I’ve said thief is weak has been when me and helseth jokes about it, I do not by any circumstances think thief is underpowered or weak – then you clearly have never been on my streams or understand any sort of sarcasm, what I have argued about is that if you nerf certain things eventually thief will fall out of meta because the role is so specific being a +1/decap role and can’t possibly take 2v2s/3v3s versus good players. So what I mean is, if you already have issues to +1 certain classes what happens if you further nerf damage? Yes, D/P dash will fall out of meta and you will be forced into different builds that can’t compete with other bruiser builds as good, so in the end it will fall out of a meta comp.

Lastly lets say you by any chance pick a random build and can counter 1 class in it with thief, like a full duelist build. Do you understand what happens in conquest then? You get outrotated. A good example by this would be ventari rev which is near unkillable in a 1v1, maybe it even is I haven’t seen the full power of it but played good enough I would assume so, but it has zero killing potential. What else does it struggle with? Mobility. It’s slow and doesn’t offer the same things in a teamfight as other classes, unblockable CC’s, ranged CC’s or damage. It’s good in a 1v1 scenario where you can decap/fullcap eventually with knocks but what happens if you just leave the class there? Same will happen if you invent some random trash thief build that can counter a specific target. Just the same as let’s say you roll staff thief only to counter the mesmer? Do you know what he does? Puts portal and outrotates you. What did you just achieve with building for staff then if you don’t get in the situation you are supposed to?

3. Also kills every other “non meta” burst spec except power ranger… Which “better” duelist would you pick and which spec’s dueling capabilities would outshine Thief’s mobility atm? Which spec except Scrapper can survive the Thief +1 atm? Nec/Rev(/non meta) attempting to +1 get shut down by Thief while being on their way or just outrun anyways. Shouldnt one of these two “options” be enough?
Doesnt all of this lead to a situation where its advantageous to just “bunker”/survive and wait for your Thief for the eventual kill instead of having killing-pressure yourself? And lastly dont you think that Thief in its current implementation is defining the meta to much by vastly outshining (and deleting) every other spec that could play a similiar role and forcing max bunker specs/playstyle?

in PvP

Posted by: Kostis.1826

Kostis.1826

Mesmer. At the moment, even with minimal knowledge of the class and provided that you don’t spam your rotations you will survive and probably win most 1v1s and even if you don’t you will portal and +1 somewhere else.

Just be careful for the staff thief hard counter, that kills your illusions and for any big dpser catching you off guard with no cooldowns.

…your bitterness is sweet to the lady…

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Elementalist!!

Juste kidding, what an undeserved beating down this class got.
Used to be fun to play… 3 years ago!

GG Anet.

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Thief can’t beat engi/dh/druid/mesmer – rest takes too long, only 1v1 that would go quick enough to ever be worth even then it’s questionable depending on enemy comp and how you look mapwise, Revenant or Thief 1v1’s are fine usually then.

Maybe not Druid. But given unlimited time in a 1v1 thief can kill engie, and has every tool to avoid mesmer shatters. The question was best 1v1 duel, not 1v1 for conquest on point. Duration of the 1v1 is irrelevant especially if we allow resets which is fully within thief’s capability, if you are playing to win a fight it is cheesy but viable if it gets you ahead.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

bluri.2653

Maybe not Druid. But given unlimited time in a 1v1 thief can kill engie, and has every tool to avoid mesmer shatters. The question was best 1v1 duel, not 1v1 for conquest on point. Duration of the 1v1 is irrelevant especially if we allow resets which is fully within thief’s capability, if you are playing to win a fight it is cheesy but viable if it gets you ahead.

If you talk WVW perhaps but I’m not even gonna bother discussing the clownfiesta that wvw is because there are so much broken stuff there.

But you say killing something in a unlimited time a menders engi won’t die to a thief no matter how long you fight him. I say it again, you can have any thief in this game duel Zan in spvp for gold ok? The fact that some of you here actually thinks a thief can kill an engi in pvp tells me the level here. And lets say you ignore the node completely, you wanna know what’s even funnier? He stands on a jumping puzzle LMAO good luck killing him. Either you are a troll or you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about.

Also discussing mesmer, I said D/P dash cannot kill mesmer, I have a vod of me and misha dueling without node activated and I cannot kill him, you want me to link it? I don’t deny that there are certain builds that will kill the meta mesmer build as a thief (example staff) as i already said, but we are on the PvP forums which for me is conquest first of all, we don’t have a 1v1 gamemode so when people discuss 1v1s its natural for me that we talk about conquest 5v5 but 1v1s etc.

Also you literally dont even queue ranked or pvp which already clarified my thought from the start.

(edited by bluri.2653)

in PvP

Posted by: Zlater.6789

Zlater.6789

Also discussing mesmer, I said D/P dash cannot kill mesmer, I have a vod of me and misha dueling without node activated and I cannot kill him, you want me to link it?

Yes please

kicks legs, humms and waits eagerly for the video

in PvP

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Please people, listen to Sind. He is the voice of reason in the QQ madness of the forums.

To be fair, I was playing mender engi yesterday in ranked (gold 2), and lost a 1v1 to a condi mesmer. But I was stupid and ate a double moa in the face. In any event I think condi mesmer and mender engi are the 2 strongest 1v1 classes atm.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.