Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Matchmaking at its finest.

what the kitten MMR? explain this amber

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Neo in gw2 version… the exception!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in PvP

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

It’s possible that they were in a party with one of the diamonds, then left the party via the chat command in order to not be told that he was abusing the mmr.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: AlbertoUlkesh.4517

AlbertoUlkesh.4517

It’s possible that they were in a party with one of the diamonds, then left the party via the chat command in order to not be told that he was abusing the mmr.

… just when I thought this couldn’t get any lower.

in PvP

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

ok now thats just lol

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

That’s… interesting. Can you PM me an unedited screenshot so I can lookup the match?

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

LOL!

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

New innovations in matchmaking manipulation, has science gone too far?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

The scoreboard brackets avoid this as it pulls from the PvP roster made from the party, not the party itself.

in PvP

Posted by: HossDelgado.5832

HossDelgado.5832

another example

Attachments:

994B6730-258C-844B-B4B1-4B40B55F51668D51EC70-0891-4E7F-8F2B-7947D87DD9CC

in PvP

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

Excellent! Now I can say I’m choosing which amber I want to play with instead of relying on matchmaking to assign me a random amber?!

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

My guess is that this particular amber is either a veteran or is an account used by legends to pip farm.

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Checked the logs and that player had relatively close ladder points, but the UI won’t show correctly if they NEVER connected to the match.

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

What the hell is “ladder points” ?
How man y system are you using for matchmaking x_x

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Posted by: Ritt.3069

Ritt.3069

Checked the logs and that player had relatively close ladder points, but the UI won’t show correctly if they NEVER connected to the match.

So is this Amber the King of MMR? Does he have to play against Diamonds to make it into Emerald lol.

I really hope to see the MMR system gone for the second season. How are Divisions supposed to represent your skill if we fight for pips of different value, depending on your MMR compared to others of the same Division?

William Van Dine/Aria Entreri/Weaver of the Dream
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA], Desolation
4 Champion titles, solo/duoq Legend, best old LB rank 64.

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Evidence of a smurf or a good PvP’er who’s just returning to ranked?

in PvP

Ritt.3069

Even if he was the best player in the game, matching an Amber against people of 4 divisions higher than himself makes no sense. Either the matchmaking bugged somehow or the system is really borked.

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Even if he was the best player in the game, matching an Amber against people of 4 divisions higher than himself makes no sense. Either the matchmaking bugged somehow or the system is really borked.

MMR really isn’t compatible with leagues. There’s no way two top teams should face each other in amber at the start of a season but leagues should rather follow tournament rules somewhat. Ever notice in a tournament of any kind bigger skill gaps are found at the start? Good players eliminate weak ones (Good and weak being relative terms, an expert in chess may be weak compared to the international masters he’ll face at a tournament but still be very strong compared to most competitive players) early.

Leagues aren’t Swiss or knock out tournaments but elements can still be drawn from them. Instead of elimination you’d hit a wall when you reach your current skill level. So let’s say for example you have 86 ladder rank points and are better than 95% of other players. You would hit your wall somewhere around mid to high ruby where you’re paired with those of similar skill (and better, diamonds and legendaries would walk over you at that point but after they rank out you’d just have to worry about equals) until you improve.

in PvP

Ritt.3069

MMR really isn’t compatible with leagues. There’s no way two top teams should face each other in amber at the start of a season but leagues should rather follow tournament rules somewhat. Ever notice in a tournament of any kind bigger skill gaps are found at the start? Good players eliminate weak ones (Good and weak being relative terms, an expert in chess may be weak compared to the international masters he’ll face at a tournament but still be very strong compared to most competitive players) early.

Leagues aren’t Swiss or knock out tournaments but elements can still be drawn from them. Instead of elimination you’d hit a wall when you reach your current skill level. So let’s say for example you have 86 ladder rank points and are better than 95% of other players. You would hit your wall somewhere around mid to high ruby where you’re paired with those of similar skill (and better, diamonds and legendaries would walk over you at that point but after they rank out you’d just have to worry about equals) until you improve.

I agree with this completely. I’ve been saying this for ages, but we should focus on using Divisions as the metric for matchmaking and let the matchmaking stabilize naturally as better players move to their respective Divisions. The same phenomenon can be seen in other games as well: the start of the season is always hectic, but it stabilizes over time as people progress forward.

A good post, +1.

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

To clarify, the player isn’t actually amber. It’s a UI bug. We do not make matches of players more than +/- 15 to 30 points away (depending on wait time).

I am fixing the UI bug right now.

(edited by Evan Lesh.3295)

in PvP

Posted by: madswag.4079

madswag.4079

k problem solved. ty

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

I agree with this completely. I’ve been saying this for ages, but we should focus on using Divisions as the metric for matchmaking and let the matchmaking stabilize naturally as better players move to their respective Divisions. The same phenomenon can be seen in other games as well: the start of the season is always hectic, but it stabilizes over time as people progress forward.

A good post, +1.

Too bad we’re reseting everything in 2 weeks already. If seasons are gonna be always this short, the system will never have time to adapt.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I really hope to see the MMR system gone for the second season. How are Divisions supposed to represent your skill if we fight for pips of different value, depending on your MMR compared to others of the same Division?

I think what you meant to say is that you hope to see pips gone for the second season.

The MMR algorithm is a far more effective tool for determining player skill than pips. Your Divison should be biased on MMR cutoffs.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Ritt.3069

I think what you meant to say is that you hope to see pips gone for the second season.

The MMR algorithm is a far more effective tool for determining player skill than pips. Your Divison should be biased on MMR cutoffs.

I wouldn’t mind that either. Having this current layered system with two competing algorithms is a disaster. I agree that MMR is the best tool for player evaluation we have at the moment, why we have never been shown our exact numbers (not that I know of at least) remains a mystery to me.

in PvP

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

To clarify, the player isn’t actually amber. It’s a UI bug. We do not make matches of players more than +/- 15 to 30 points away (depending on wait time).

I am fixing the UI bug right now.

Inb4 all the premades with an amber in party “it was just the bug”.

in PvP

Posted by: The Ace.9105

The Ace.9105

A good post, +1.

Feel free to correct me Evan cause this is just based on what I have noticed and read from wiki.

I’ve been wondering why glicko over elo. This is the answer according to wiki:

• Glicko was chosen over its main alternative, Elo. Like Elo, Glicko tracks MMR for each player and updates that rating over time as you play the game. Glicko’s main improvement over its predecessor is the inclusion of a ratings deviation (RD), which measures the reliability of the rating. By using RD, the matchmaking algorithm can compensate for players it has little or incomplete information about.

So basically this system is fair for new players. This is how matches are currently calculated in anets system:

• Ladder weight=“5“ – If present, each team’s average ladder is used for the calculation.
  • Rank weight=“1“ – If present, each team’s average rank is used for the calculation.
  • Rating weight=“0“ – If present, each team’s average effective rating (i.e. rating – deviation) is used for the calculation.
  • Roster weight=“2“ - If present, each team’s maximum roster size is used for the calculation.

As you can see the rating weight is 0 so elo rating is disabled.

In elo you start at certain point for example rating 1500 and based on win you gain rating and based on lose you lose rating and it eventually balances itself to the correct mmr of a player when players play more games.

Now what anets glicko code does is trying to predict every match and trying to make it always balanced. This results the system being broken due the possibility to exploit the system with division ranks. At the moment anets glicko code doesn’t take the players individual skill level and match them against each other. The thing it tries to do is to balance the games between players in a way that teams would always be balanced not players. For example 1 amber, 1 emerald, 1 legend and 2 ruby players would face a team between ruby and sapphire.

Then glicko has it’s own mmr system that predicts the odds of winning. In this kind of team it would be 50/50 cause the teams are balanced according the system. When mmr comes in it wants to balance players ranks as close as possible or to players that are available at time. Some that have low mmr in legend queue with diamonds sometimes. When the system tries to balance players according to their mmr also it makes division system to match teams that have 5 diamond players against 2 legends + 3 diamond players. The odds of winning are calculated from divisions so in this case if 5 diamond player team would win it would mean that they can get more than 1 pips from winning the match.

So the main problem here seems to be that the game is not balanced around players individual skills. The solution could be to have the players individual rating calculated and match players with similar ratings against each other instead of team balancing.

(yeah it can be confusing for the new players to see players from different divisions at first when you queue your first matches and people are already in different divisions when your rating hasn’t been set but trust me, a blog post or in-game mail about this system would explain and the system would be improved much. The rating will balance games and divisions by itself after a while)

The thing that should also be remembered is to reset that rating when the next season begins so that in the next season the players can climb to their own ratings and divisions and not get stuck in low division because they already have high rating and they get legend matches in amber.

(edited by The Ace.9105)

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Edit: Snip, moving to the new, more appropriate thread.

(edited by Evan Lesh.3295)