why no duel?

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

ok, what if sPvP now all of a sudden get’s a legendary monster killing ppl, would you love that too?

I wrote this previously:

“Ive seen the link Inculpatus Cedo. Most of the comments seems rather inadequate. Some circle around a childish reasoning and misuse of the forms of appeal by either using pathos, and directing the arguement towards an idea that this game somehow would become more agressive by letting people use duel instead of getting into heart of the mist. Or simply use a very childish comparison, where as 1 breaks the game while the other one adds to the game.”

Edited:
And tbh….In my perspective, saying this really have nothing to add or take from the argument because it makes no sense to me that I wouldn’t be able to duel someone just because it is not in “PvP zone”
But……SPvP do have monsters, that I have in fact died from….mainly in the beginning or as a thief….but still

actually it does, adding PvP in PvE has the same effect as adding PvE in PvP.
we can just turn it all around, have zergs of monsters in PvP with veteran, elite and champion monsters walking around in PvP maps killing any and all players in their path.

what i see is the pathetic childish behavior to force PvP in PvE, there are already 2 modes specifically made for PvP yet there is a need to ruin the only single mode made for PvE with yet another PvP mode.
like others have said, there are plenty of modes allowing you to PvP each other to death, we PvE-only players want nothing to do with it.

seriously, you act as if PvP is the one thing that is fun, if you like PvP so much play games made for PvP but don’t ruin others fun by forcing yours.

Again, I simply do not get why differentiating the 2 game modes like that is a necessity, it is not like I force anything on you in anyway if you read my previous messages. And putting zergs of minions in SPvP would indeed break the game. But you can of cause not use the arguement of, putting minions in SPvP to add a massive amount of score to the other party who kills this boss minion….because it is already there.
You make it sound as if this will change PvE? See, I can simply not get behind this ideology, I mean. It will not change PvE at all, in the slightest sense, I honestly do not know to explain this further, there are no possible itsy bit pixel in this PvE world that would be inherently changed at all by putting dueling into the game. If there is, I would honestly like a real explanation, not that some random dude was about to go to Silver Waste with his group but find a random person he would like to fight because he said Silver Waste was boring (even though blocking and leaving would probably be the more…go to explanation of how that story would have evolved)

In conclusion, please do explain how this would change the PvE world or force anyone to PvP……….and I could do with less of “your childish” comments.

“I reread that, and sounded like I called you childish. But I meant, where you wrote “your childish”, I would like it if you stopped using that word so directly to me"

(edited by zengara.8301)

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There’s the post in the other thread (the OP states was read) that includes a Dev post about how featuring Open World PvP-type combat is technically unwarranted.

So, even if it is ever approved, it may be a long time coming.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

The idea of dueling has been proposed a number of times. Often, posters have explained why they like dueling in games. Sometimes, they’ve even tried to work with people who disagree, folks who see it as a distraction to the core game, folks who’d rather see ANet work on stuff, and folks who see it as undermining a core ‘feature’ of the game: cooperative PvE.

That doesn’t appear to be the case here. Instead of having a conversation, one poster can’t seem to offer more than, “the criticisms are inadequate” or “childish” and that people are against it because they are “scared.” There’s no way to have a conversation when someone is that unwilling to consider other points of view.

I’ll make one attempt to make my view clear: devs have limited resources; they can only work on some of the great ideas we suggest. Based on threads like this, it seems the dueling is incredibly popular among a tiny fraction of the population, rejected out of hand by a large fraction, and a majority probably don’t care if it’s in GW2 or not. I think there are so many other ideas that the majority would love to see or even just that the fraction of “yes, please” is larger than the fraction of “over my defeated character.”

Given that I’ve been wrong about such things before (e.g. I thought raids would be bad for the game; turns out they’ve been, on balance, great), I’m keeping an open mind about how ANet would implement something like dueling; it might be good.

Or in brief, it’s not at the top of the list for best cost:benefit for the community as a whole. Seems like a good feature for other games, but probably not GW2.

Raids have no been bad for the game, it gave a good 30% of the population a reason to play and stay. Yes traditional MMO players do play this game i know this because me and my friends are those kinda of players.

On your point for PvP, dev cycles are a good place to based you claims on i will not argue that its a good point but I really don’t believe that the reason why many of the people in this thread disagree with dueling to be honest. But honestly good point never looked at it from that angle.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Pansoul.9436

Pansoul.9436

OR maybe because anet thought it’ll be a mess.

imagine peoples dueling in LA. all those effect and skill noises..

yeah im glad they not add dueling yet. probably forever.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

ok, what if sPvP now all of a sudden get’s a legendary monster killing ppl, would you love that too?

I wrote this previously:

“Ive seen the link Inculpatus Cedo. Most of the comments seems rather inadequate. Some circle around a childish reasoning and misuse of the forms of appeal by either using pathos, and directing the arguement towards an idea that this game somehow would become more agressive by letting people use duel instead of getting into heart of the mist. Or simply use a very childish comparison, where as 1 breaks the game while the other one adds to the game.”

Edited:
And tbh….In my perspective, saying this really have nothing to add or take from the argument because it makes no sense to me that I wouldn’t be able to duel someone just because it is not in “PvP zone”
But……SPvP do have monsters, that I have in fact died from….mainly in the beginning or as a thief….but still

actually it does, adding PvP in PvE has the same effect as adding PvE in PvP.
we can just turn it all around, have zergs of monsters in PvP with veteran, elite and champion monsters walking around in PvP maps killing any and all players in their path.

what i see is the pathetic childish behavior to force PvP in PvE, there are already 2 modes specifically made for PvP yet there is a need to ruin the only single mode made for PvE with yet another PvP mode.
like others have said, there are plenty of modes allowing you to PvP each other to death, we PvE-only players want nothing to do with it.

seriously, you act as if PvP is the one thing that is fun, if you like PvP so much play games made for PvP but don’t ruin others fun by forcing yours.

There is no pure PvP game mode lacking extensive PvE elements.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

The idea of dueling has been proposed a number of times. Often, posters have explained why they like dueling in games. Sometimes, they’ve even tried to work with people who disagree, folks who see it as a distraction to the core game, folks who’d rather see ANet work on stuff, and folks who see it as undermining a core ‘feature’ of the game: cooperative PvE.

That doesn’t appear to be the case here. Instead of having a conversation, one poster can’t seem to offer more than, “the criticisms are inadequate” or “childish” and that people are against it because they are “scared.” There’s no way to have a conversation when someone is that unwilling to consider other points of view.

I’ll make one attempt to make my view clear: devs have limited resources; they can only work on some of the great ideas we suggest. Based on threads like this, it seems the dueling is incredibly popular among a tiny fraction of the population, rejected out of hand by a large fraction, and a majority probably don’t care if it’s in GW2 or not. I think there are so many other ideas that the majority would love to see or even just that the fraction of “yes, please” is larger than the fraction of “over my defeated character.”

Given that I’ve been wrong about such things before (e.g. I thought raids would be bad for the game; turns out they’ve been, on balance, great), I’m keeping an open mind about how ANet would implement something like dueling; it might be good.

Or in brief, it’s not at the top of the list for best cost:benefit for the community as a whole. Seems like a good feature for other games, but probably not GW2.

I have responded quiet a few comments, only one of these comments have I written that others might be childish, and it was meant for another source link that I got were people did very much use “out of the blue comments” to come with suggestions as to why dueling shouldnt be an option. In other words, I really did not target any particular person with being childish in anyway

And I have previously answered that I simply can not respond to people who believe that the devs should not be working on anything else, or that they should be denying any small aspects of improvements of the game, because they got far less resources now, so they can only work on the absolute most important cases.

I dont know, but I got a good guess that nobody knows how much resources they do have, but either way, it is a very derivitive figure, since this whole forum is about what they should be implementing, what people would like in the game, like if someone asked for a sword that cost 500000 gold but could insta kill anyone I would say no (very…very extreme example, but you get the idea) rather than balancing their time, that nobody knows how to balance. Like implementing a duel system could take a week or a year, honestly nobody knows, but I would personally very much like it in the game.

And let me make it clear from your previous message, you do share an ideology with some people, but most seems to be against it, because they do not want “PvE and PvP shared” which I can not understand, since it is dueling and not open world PvP (ganking) that I want, which for me personally is very different since you ask for fighting, and it does not force anyone to do so….and more etc, ive written this a couple of times so getting kinda repetitive, but your view seems very much to be “They dont have resources, so they should only work on most important cases” Which is fine, but I dont think I would use the forums like that, if there is something I want in the game, I would like the population to know of it.

In short: We have simply different ideologies of how the forums should be used.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I have responded quiet a few comments, only one of these comments have I written that others might be childish, and it was meant for another source link that I got were people did very much use “out of the blue comments” to come with suggestions as to why dueling shouldnt be an option. In other words, I really did not target any particular person with being childish in anyway

And I have previously answered that I simply can not respond to people who believe that the devs should not be working on anything else, or that they should be denying any small aspects of improvements of the game, because they got far less resources now, so they can only work on the absolute most important cases.

I dont know, but I got a good guess that nobody knows how much resources they do have, but either way, it is a very derivitive figure, since this whole forum is about what they should be implementing, what people would like in the game, like if someone asked for a sword that cost 500000 gold but could insta kill anyone I would say no (very…very extreme example, but you get the idea) rather than balancing their time, that nobody knows how to balance. Like implementing a duel system could take a week or a year, honestly nobody knows, but I would personally very much like it in the game.

And let me make it clear from your previous message, you do share an ideology with some people, but most seems to be against it, because they do not want “PvE and PvP shared” which I can not understand, since it is dueling and not open world PvP (ganking) that I want, which for me personally is very different since you ask for fighting, and it does not force anyone to do so….and more etc, ive written this a couple of times so getting kinda repetitive, but your view seems very much to be “They dont have resources, so they should only work on most important cases” Which is fine, but I dont think I would use the forums like that, if there is something I want in the game, I would like the population to know of it.

And anet has a different ideology on how pve zones should be used…

So… what are your wvw and spvp ranks?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Eve.9812

Eve.9812

the goal of open-world content is, all in all, to make you excited to see another player, to make you happy that someone else showed up. adding a dueling system does not contribute to this goal in any way and debatably goes against it by introducing an entirely opposite element to the pre-existing content.
i, personally, do not think dueling in and of itself would ‘ruin’ open world content, no — i see it as simply a step in the entirely wrong direction. catering to players who want to experience their specific flavor of content outside of its intended area would just muddle the tone of the experience itself. nobody goes into raids expecting to kill enemy players, or sPvP expecting to go exploring. it just makes no sense to implement it when it fails to contribute to the overarching goal or surrounding content in any way.

is it a huge problem if it gets added? not really.
does it make sense for it to exist in open-world PvE? definitely not.

You begin your arguement with a selfproclaimed reasoning for open world content. I agree that being happy to see another player is a part of the open world content…while attacking a boss, or doing certain hearts…..in some regards. But saying that it is the main reason, is quiet wrong.

actually, you can find this kind of reasoning all over the place. here is an example, right under the “It’s time to make MMORPGs more social” section, you get this gem:

“MMOs are social games. So why do they sometimes seem to work so hard to punish you for playing with other players? If I’m out hunting and another player walks by, shouldn’t I welcome his help, rather than worrying that he’s going to steal my kills or consume all the mobs I wanted to kill? Or if I want to play with someone, shouldn’t we naturally have the same goals and objectives, rather than discovering that we’re in the same area but working on a different set of quests?”

the underlying philosophy here is, as i said, one of cooperation with your peers. dueling others in 1v1 combat out in the open world does not contribute to this philosophy in any way.

I am sorry to say this, but I have written around 5 lines now, and this whole comment simply seems out of line on so many things, that I honestly do not know how to….sorry to say….but take this comment seriously. But the goal to open world content never really had been about being happy to meet other players, in any mmorpg, Gw2 did make a statement that they want to pursue the idea of making defeating a minion a shared experience……but yeah I will just stop here…because wow xD

if you do not understand it, i can take a moment to rephrase some of it. my apologies if it was too complex.

basically, the issue with adding dueling to the open world is not that it would hurt people. the issue is that it is completely unnecessary. it adds nothing of value to the open world. dueling, as a system, does not make sense in the context of open world PvE content.

my example from before should still be easy to understand — players do not go into sPvP to explore. players go into sPvP to do PvP. while the developers could add an exploration factor to sPvP, and it would be nice for those who are interested, it would make no sense to have that freedom to explore in sPvP because the sPvP game mode is not built around the idea of exploration.

i hope this is easier to understand. please let me know if any of it is confusing still, i will do my best to reword it.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

And anet has a different ideology on how pve zones should be used…

So… what are your wvw and spvp ranks?

I wrote that in page 1.
3rd message after your respond

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

basically, the issue with adding dueling to the open world is not that it would hurt people. the issue is that it is completely unnecessary. it adds nothing of value to the open world. dueling, as a system, does not make sense in the context of open world PvE content.

They made whole expansion based on a repackaged mushroom mastery that you can apply gemstore skins to. Value went out of the window long time ago.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

the goal of open-world content is, all in all, to make you excited to see another player, to make you happy that someone else showed up. adding a dueling system does not contribute to this goal in any way and debatably goes against it by introducing an entirely opposite element to the pre-existing content.
i, personally, do not think dueling in and of itself would ‘ruin’ open world content, no — i see it as simply a step in the entirely wrong direction. catering to players who want to experience their specific flavor of content outside of its intended area would just muddle the tone of the experience itself. nobody goes into raids expecting to kill enemy players, or sPvP expecting to go exploring. it just makes no sense to implement it when it fails to contribute to the overarching goal or surrounding content in any way.

is it a huge problem if it gets added? not really.
does it make sense for it to exist in open-world PvE? definitely not.

You begin your arguement with a selfproclaimed reasoning for open world content. I agree that being happy to see another player is a part of the open world content…while attacking a boss, or doing certain hearts…..in some regards. But saying that it is the main reason, is quiet wrong.

actually, you can find this kind of reasoning all over the place. here is an example, right under the “It’s time to make MMORPGs more social” section, you get this gem:

“MMOs are social games. So why do they sometimes seem to work so hard to punish you for playing with other players? If I’m out hunting and another player walks by, shouldn’t I welcome his help, rather than worrying that he’s going to steal my kills or consume all the mobs I wanted to kill? Or if I want to play with someone, shouldn’t we naturally have the same goals and objectives, rather than discovering that we’re in the same area but working on a different set of quests?”

the underlying philosophy here is, as i said, one of cooperation with your peers. dueling others in 1v1 combat out in the open world does not contribute to this philosophy in any way.

I am sorry to say this, but I have written around 5 lines now, and this whole comment simply seems out of line on so many things, that I honestly do not know how to….sorry to say….but take this comment seriously. But the goal to open world content never really had been about being happy to meet other players, in any mmorpg, Gw2 did make a statement that they want to pursue the idea of making defeating a minion a shared experience……but yeah I will just stop here…because wow xD

if you do not understand it, i can take a moment to rephrase some of it. my apologies if it was too complex.

my example from before should still be easy to understand — players do not go into sPvP to explore. players go into sPvP to do PvP. while the developers could add an exploration factor to sPvP, and it would be nice for those who are interested, it would make no sense to have that freedom to explore in sPvP because the sPvP game mode is not built around the idea of exploration.

i hope this is easier to understand. please let me know if any of it is confusing still, i will do my best to reword it.

Well first off:
“We think of GW2 as the first MMO that actually has a cooperative PvE experience. When I’m out hunting and suddenly there’s a huge explosion over the next hill – the ground is shaking and smoke is pouring into the sky – I’m going to want to investigate, and most other players in the area will too. Or if the sky darkens on a sunny day, and I look up and see a dragon circling overhead preparing to attack, I know I’d better fight or flee, and everyone around me knows that too.
With traditional MMOs you can choose to solo or you can find a good guild or party to play with. With GW2 there’s a third option too: "
(https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/ , line 62:)
Again the meaning behind Open World Content, is not only for being happy to meet other people. It is not the deciding factor, it is an added feature. Even though you are very much being condesending, you must start to realize that it is not the perpuse of open world content, it is an added delight for Gw2 (an other mmorpgs since it is 5 years old)

Second comment: if you are not interested in it, is it like a few comments above, that since it is not a major issue for you, and I can do it by going through a few load screens, A-Net should not touch it since it might or might not require resources? You are not direct with your comment there

And players do not stand idle in Lions Arch to PvE, they stay idle because they dont want to PvE but dont want to get into SPvP either. I get your premise, but that idea only holds true when everyone is being 100% efficient around every part of the game, the idea of people dont want to wvw and just idle on LA is quiet normal, which means that you cant really split the game modes up like that. It is not just 2 totally different game modes, in WvW PvE gear still holds, players from WvW and PvE do still idle in LA or any other place, like divinities reach or rata sum, you still see a massive amount of players from every aspect of the game there. And again, I am not saying that PvP should be an open world thing, all I am saying is that dueling in the game would be pretty great, nothing more.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Since there are multiple threads on the subject, I think I’ll re-post this:

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

Bold part for emphasis. It doesn’t matter how many people want it or how many people would use it or like it. It would take too much work to make it work, so it’s not worth it.
Link:
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP

It’s the design that doesn’t support it. It’s not something they can “add”.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

Here’s an idea:

How about a Dueling Portal Stone?

1. You join a party with another player.
2. Activate the Portal Stone.
3. It prompts the other player that you have activated the stone and if they accept, they will be teleported to a dueling area. (similar to entering an instance with another player currently)
4. If the other player accepts, the party is put into an instance where they can freely attack each other. The instance could be a duplicate of the home instance or one of the current PVP arenas so Anet doesn’t need to develop a new map or anything.
5. While in that instance, there is the same “exit instance” option currently available to exit story/home/etc. instances and would bring the player right back where they were in the world like the Home Portal Stone.

This keeps it out of the open world and for those that want to duel it would encompass one loading screen in and one back out, like every other instanced area in the game.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

Since there are multiple threads on the subject, I think I’ll re-post this:

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

Bold part for emphasis. It doesn’t matter how many people want it or how many people would use it or like it. It would take too much work to make it work, so it’s not worth it.
Link:
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP

It’s the design that doesn’t support it. It’s not something they can “add”.

The link is about open world PvP, as in zones you gank other peoples in, not dueling matches, where we have already GH, and seen in living world people in open world changed to be our opponents because they wore the white mantle clothes ( I believe it was in head of the snake?), and based on GH that is located in a PvE map, it is not totally
sorry, but you can really never use links like that since HoT and meta events……or mounts……Beside this link being from 2012 (which is non usable…ever from now on, not in school or any other place, unless if article explained something older, like the pyramides) then you can without a doubt find quotes about not making gear hard to craft/buy or find….we got vipers/minstreal that are very needed. You can of cause also find the “no mount” article etc….I could go on, but you get the idea

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The link is about open world PvP, as in zones you gank other peoples in, not dueling matches, where we have already GH, and seen in living world people in open world changed to be our opponents because they wore the white mantle clothes ( I believe it was in head of the snake?), and based on GH that is located in a PvE map, it is not totally
sorry, but you can really never use links like that since HoT and meta events……or mounts……Beside this link being from 2012 (which is non usable…ever from now on, not in school or any other place, unless if article explained something older, like the pyramides) then you can without a doubt find quotes about not making gear hard to craft/buy or find….we got vipers/minstreal that are very needed. You can of cause also find the “no mount” article etc….I could go on, but you get the idea

From what i can tell from researching and both playing through head of the snake, you dont get marked as an enemy for other players and cant be killed by them. In the silverwastes area, when first introduced there was a bandit champion you could give 2 gold to to get a boon that would allow safe passage through bandit territory(still there too) however, it no longer marks you as enemy to other players(and you couldnt fight back anyways), after quite a lot of negative feedback from players on the entire idea.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Eve.9812

Eve.9812

Well first off:
“We think of GW2 as the first MMO that actually has a cooperative PvE experience. When I’m out hunting and suddenly there’s a huge explosion over the next hill – the ground is shaking and smoke is pouring into the sky – I’m going to want to investigate, and most other players in the area will too. Or if the sky darkens on a sunny day, and I look up and see a dragon circling overhead preparing to attack, I know I’d better fight or flee, and everyone around me knows that too.
With traditional MMOs you can choose to solo or you can find a good guild or party to play with. With GW2 there’s a third option too: "
(https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/ , line 62:)
Again the meaning behind Open World Content, is not only for being happy to meet other people. It is not the deciding factor, it is an added feature. Even though you are very much being condesending, you must start to realize that it is not the perpuse of open world content, it is an added delight for Gw2 (an other mmorpgs since it is 5 years old)

Second comment: if you are not interested in it, is it like a few comments above, that since it is not a major issue for you, and I can do it by going through a few load screens, A-Net should not touch it since it might or might not require resources? You are not direct with your comment there

And players do not stand idle in Lions Arch to PvE, they stay idle because they dont want to PvE but dont want to get into SPvP either. I get your premise, but that idea only holds true when everyone is being 100% efficient around every part of the game, the idea of people dont want to wvw and just idle on LA is quiet normal, which means that you cant really split the game modes up like that. It is not just 2 totally different game modes, in WvW PvE gear still holds, players from WvW and PvE do still idle in LA or any other place, like divinities reach or rata sum, you still see a massive amount of players from every aspect of the game there. And again, I am not saying that PvP should be an open world thing, all I am saying is that dueling in the game would be pretty great, nothing more.

claiming it is an ‘added delight’ when the entirety of open world content is literally designed around it is, to be frank, very silly. this manifesto, this philosophy is the entire reason GW2 does a lot of the things it does, including giant all-players-included events, personal loot, no mob tagging, and so on. referring to it as an ‘added delight’ does not detract from its importance, or the fact that open-world PvE content has that philosophy at its core.

my apologies if my post came off as condescending, i was going based on your claim that you were unable to make sense of my post. i felt that the best way to address the situation was to explain myself more clearly and make it clear that i am willing to continue rephrasing/rewording if what i posted was still too complicated to understand.

considering the scenario that was mentioned earlier (wanting to duel someone to test something and having to jump through hoops to get a private ‘duel’ with them), i believe a better solution would be to simply expand and improve on the currently in-place PvP areas to allow such a thing. implementing the system in open world PvE, while slightly more convenient than just teleporting to LA and walking a few feet to HotM, would make far less sense thematically.

a duel system would be perfectly fine if it was contained within PvP-centric areas. my argument is basically that it would be unnecessary to enable it in open-world PvE areas. granted, they have already said they have no interest, but hypothetically speaking if they did look into implementing it, it would make no sense to enable it everywhere.

i have no concern with it being enabled in towns or cities, either. what makes no sense is implementing it in open-world PvE areas (think VB, or Caledon). i feel that we may be misunderstanding each other a bit here?

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

.[/quote]

claiming it is an ‘added delight’ when the entirety of open world content is literally designed around it is, to be frank, very silly. this manifesto, this philosophy is the entire reason GW2 does a lot of the things it does, including giant all-players-included events, personal loot, no mob tagging, and so on. referring to it as an ‘added delight’ does not detract from its importance, or the fact that open-world PvE content has that philosophy at its core.

my apologies if my post came off as condescending, i was going based on your claim that you were unable to make sense of my post. i felt that the best way to address the situation was to explain myself more clearly and make it clear that i am willing to continue rephrasing/rewording if what i posted was still too complicated to understand.

considering the scenario that was mentioned earlier (wanting to duel someone to test something and having to jump through hoops to get a private ‘duel’ with them), i believe a better solution would be to simply expand and improve on the currently in-place PvP areas to allow such a thing. implementing the system in open world PvE, while slightly more convenient than just teleporting to LA and walking a few feet to HotM, would make far less sense thematically.

a duel system would be perfectly fine if it was contained within PvP-centric areas. my argument is basically that it would be unnecessary to enable it in open-world PvE areas. granted, they have already said they have no interest, but hypothetically speaking if they did look into implementing it, it would make no sense to enable it everywhere.

i have no concern with it being enabled in towns or cities, either. what makes no sense is implementing it in open-world PvE areas (think VB, or Caledon). i feel that we may be misunderstanding each other a bit here?[/quote]

Ok, seems like you kinda slightly went over my comment quiet quick, and did not talk about the link. But let me try a different approach. Open world content is not being happy to meet other people. It is not a subjective fact where “I fell like” Open world content means Free Roaming, no matter how much “meaning of open world content” you search on google, this fact will always remain the number 1 priority.
I can also prove it to you,
Neverwinter is a instance based mmo, you are happy to see people
BDO is an open world mmo, you are not happy to see people.
Dragon Nest, instance based mmo,
wow open world
etc…
The idea is simple, “being happy to see others” as explained in my previous post, was not the core reason for open world content, there are as explained different quests done alone (in this game alone).
And in general, across all games, you can simply remove being happy to see another player at anytime, and it would still be an open world, you can not remove free roaming. But again, this have nothing to do with my post, does not add to it, nor remove from the argument, just do not like to see words being swung around and changed the actual meaning of the word.

Well again, I can not see why Duel can not happen in Caledon or VB, it is not like people would instantly ask to duel you, and new players will find it fun to duel other new players. What people seem to be think about this, is quiet different. They create scenarios that never happen in other games, never have I ever seen any lvl 90 go back to the lvl 1 area and asked for dueling them, it is simply what is called a waste of time, I could honestly understand it, if another game did show some problems in anyway or form with asking for duel.

But people wont spam dueling requests, nor have they ever in any other games. Dueling have never been to aggravate others, open world PvP have, and there is where the big split between having fun, and literally hating another player comes from. Ganking a low geared player and forcing them to re-spawn is 1 thing, clicking “send duel request” simply is another in every way, you can not be insulting another player and then be all like “DUEL ME”, that just never happens in any other game. But it very much seems like people are correlating these 2 things, as if being the same in anyway, which is simply very strange to me.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

From what i can tell from researching and both playing through head of the snake, you dont get marked as an enemy for other players and cant be killed by them. In the silverwastes area, when first introduced there was a bandit champion you could give 2 gold to to get a boon that would allow safe passage through bandit territory(still there too) however, it no longer marks you as enemy to other players(and you couldnt fight back anyways), after quite a lot of negative feedback from players on the entire idea.

found it
https://youtu.be/pch59ybwHa8?t=825

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I made this post to a similar thread…

You want dueling? Here’s how I believe it should work.

1. No form of dueling requests should be announcable in map chat.

2. There should be an option to block dueling requests, set to “off” by default. If a dueling request is sent to a person who has it turned off, whispering and mail should be disabled between the two parties for ten minutes.

3. If a duel is sent and accepted, both participants should be immediately moved to a dueling instance where they can duke it out in private.

4. At the conclusion of said duel, both participants should be returned to the exact location they started from.

5. An option should be added where persons wishing to do so may observe but not participate in an active duel (similar to spectating in PvP matches.)

6. Dueling arenas should be set up in each city.

I’ve said it before. Dueling should not be taking place in an environment that is supposed to actively encourage cooperation.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I stated my feeling about the general consensus and I stated my preference about where I think devs should prioritize; you stated yours. I’m not sure how that has anything to do with forum ideology.

I have nothing against people stating opinions, unless they are making attacks on the individual. Calling a point of view “childish” isn’t helpful to discussion.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Ive seen the link Inculpatus Cedo. Most of the comments seems rather inadequate. Some circle around a childish reasoning and misuse of the forms of appeal by either using pathos, and directing the arguement towards an idea that this game somehow would become more agressive by letting people use duel instead of getting into heart of the mist. Or simply use a very childish comparison, where as 1 breaks the game while the other one adds to the game.

The only real answer I can get behind, between all these answers, seems to be that there are simply no way to balance the different classes. Guard>Necro>Ele>Guard
and A-Net might not want to pursue duels or deathmatches because of this idea.

Though I gotta admit that I did learn something, seems like that the people are getting more and more scared of the social aspects of the game. As if every small bit of change, could be huge-, since people will be able to duel and that will be the most scary thing ever since they get more aggressive and suddenly spam duel to everyone-.

It is very representing of the current system world wide, specially how the American president got elected. It is very scary how affected people are by every 0,0001% change. though that is beside the point of this thread
I can understand that the devs cant afford changing every balance for a duel or matchmaking system, and very glad I got that answer

So here we have a proponent of dueling calling other people’s opinion’s childisih I’m sure I’m not the only one who sees the irony.

In callling my opnion childish, you are in sense proving my point. This is precisely the kind of thing that I’m against I’m not calling you childish for wanting to duel. However, the fact that you think this is somehow okay, to publicly call someone else’s opinion childish… well, it speaks volumes.

I’m not a kid. I’m a 55 year old guy. In WoW, I had kids pestering me to duel and frankly I found it obnoxios. And when you say no or walk away, I had them jumping around me, talking in map chat. Yeah Goldshire was a lot of fun.

It wouldn’t make or break the game for me. It would simply annoy me. And why would I want to be annoyed?

Why am I chldish for having an opinion after having an experience?

If anything people who have bad experiences with something who don’t want it are people who have a right to an opinion. Other people don’t have the right to ridicule that opinion

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

I stated my feeling about the general consensus and I stated my preference about where I think devs should prioritize; you stated yours. I’m not sure how that has anything to do with forum ideology.

I have nothing against people stating opinions, unless they are making attacks on the individual. Calling a point of view “childish” isn’t helpful to discussion.

well I never targeted anyone by calling anyone childish as previously mentioned. I called some of the arguments in another post “childish” way of comparing, simply because they do not follow the college rule of comparing (like saying that it would be like if we put tequatle in a SPvP match). In short, not comparable if 1 breaks the game while the other adds to it. If you did find my comment about that subject offensive in anway, then im very sorry

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

Ive seen the link Inculpatus Cedo. Most of the comments seems rather inadequate. Some circle around a childish reasoning and misuse of the forms of appeal by either using pathos, and directing the arguement towards an idea that this game somehow would become more agressive by letting people use duel instead of getting into heart of the mist. Or simply use a very childish comparison, where as 1 breaks the game while the other one adds to the game.

The only real answer I can get behind, between all these answers, seems to be that there are simply no way to balance the different classes. Guard>Necro>Ele>Guard

Though I gotta admit that I did learn something, seems like that the people are getting more and more scared of the social aspects of the game. As if every small bit of change, could be huge-, since people will be able to duel and that will be the most scary thing ever since they get more aggressive and suddenly spam duel to everyone-.

It is very representing of the current system world wide, specially how the American president got elected. It is very scary how affected people are by every 0,0001% change. though that is beside the point of this thread
I can understand that the devs cant afford changing every balance for a duel or matchmaking system, and very glad I got that answer

So here we have a proponent of dueling calling other people’s opinion’s childisih I’m sure I’m not the only one who sees the irony.

In callling my opnion childish, you are in sense proving my point. This is precisely the kind of thing that I’m against I’m not calling you childish for wanting to duel. However, the fact that you think this is somehow okay, to publicly call someone else’s opinion childish… well, it speaks volumes.

I’m not a kid. I’m a 55 year old guy. In WoW, I had kids pestering me to duel and frankly I found it obnoxios. And when you say no or walk away, I had them jumping around me, talking in map chat. Yeah Goldshire was a lot of fun.

It wouldn’t make or break the game for me. It would simply annoy me. And why would I want to be annoyed?

If anything people who have bad experiences with something who don’t want it are people who have a right to an opinion. Other people don’t have the right to ridicule that opinion

Sorry to say, but you are touching on a subject and adding a perspective to the argument that was never there. I have explained this countless of times, but I did not target anyone by this comment, it was intended to some of the posts that I read in the link that was provided to me, where people did create rather weird scenarios that I have never heard about, or mentioning that it is only fair, if we put massive bosses and roam around SPvP, while there are already minions “bosses” in SPvP that do normaly count for a major portion of the points you can get.
I repeat, I did not call any particular person(s) argument childish, and I have not mentioned who it might be, and I have not made a direct corelation between my comment and the comment from the link as mentioned. Nobody will be able to state out whom ive not agreed with.

Now to your perspective of the matter:
I have never seen or heard about that in my entire gaming period, it is sad to hear that this happened to you in WoW. But I do not see this happening in Gw2, there is simply no open world PvP, I get that it is annoying if someone once have done that to you, but I really cant see it happening again.
And sorry to say, but if you are making a statement that I should not call other childish you really shouldnt call other peoples kids 2 lines later. Please do restrain yourself from doing that, my comment aswell as your comment, was not targeted towards anyone, I do apologies if anyone is offended, but I did not target any particular person

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

I made this post to a similar thread…

You want dueling? Here’s how I believe it should work.

1. No form of dueling requests should be announcable in map chat.

2. There should be an option to block dueling requests, set to “off” by default. If a dueling request is sent to a person who has it turned off, whispering and mail should be disabled between the two parties for ten minutes.

3. If a duel is sent and accepted, both participants should be immediately moved to a dueling instance where they can duke it out in private.

4. At the conclusion of said duel, both participants should be returned to the exact location they started from.

5. An option should be added where persons wishing to do so may observe but not participate in an active duel (similar to spectating in PvP matches.)

6. Dueling arenas should be set up in each city.

I’ve said it before. Dueling should not be taking place in an environment that is supposed to actively encourage cooperation.

I have noticed a hard restriction on space for dueling, have you noticed something in other games that do make these kind of restrictions needed for dueling? Since I do find it very, very hard to believe that anyone would get into a world boss fight and suddenly duel, since it would probably be suicide

why no duel?

in PvP

Vayne.8563

Sorry to say, but you are touching on a subject and adding a perspective to the argument that was never there. I have explained this countless of times, but I did not target anyone by this comment, it was intended to some of the posts that I read in the link that was provided to me, where people did create rather weird scenarios that I have never heard about, or mentioning that it is only fair, if we put massive bosses and roam around SPvP, while there are already minions “bosses” in SPvP that do normaly count for a major portion of the points you can get.
I repeat, I did not call any particular person(s) argument childish, and I have not mentioned who it might be, and I have not made a direct corelation between my comment and the comment from the link as mentioned. Nobody will be able to state out whom ive not agreed with.

I have never seen or heard about that in my entire gaming period, it is sad to hear that this happened to you in WoW. But I do not see this happening in Gw2, there is simply no open world PvP, I get that it is annoying if someone once have done that to you, but I really cant see it happening again.
And sorry to say, but if you are making a statement that I should not call other childish you really shouldnt call other peoples kids 2 lines later. Please do restrain yourself from doing that, my comment aswell as your comment, was not targeted towards anyone, I do apologies if anyone is offended, but I did not target any particular person

You having not heard about something is completely irrelevant to my opinion and experience. Having had bad experience in past games with dueling, as I have nothing to prove to anyone in a video game, I don’t want to see it in this game.

You can theorize it wouldn’t happen here. You can make all sorts of suggestions about how it might not happen, how it can be prevented from happening, which doesn’t mean I want devs to spend the time to try.

I have no interest in dueling (and if I did I’d simply use the guild arena), therefore I have no interest in see the devs waste developer time on something I have no interest in.

I don’t feel it would add to the game. I don’t feel it would attract the players I’d want to play with.

Therefore I am against addiing it to the game.

If I thought it would improve the game, I’d be for it. But seeing as I don’t, why would I support it?

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

You having not heard about something is completely irrelevant to my opinion and experience. Having had bad experience in past games with dueling, as I have nothing to prove to anyone in a video game, I don’t want to see it in this game.

You can theorize it wouldn’t happen here. You can make all sorts of suggestions about how it might not happen, how it can be prevented from happening, which doesn’t mean I want devs to spend the time to try.

I have no interest in dueling (and if I did I’d simply use the guild arena), therefore I have no interest in see the devs waste developer time on something I have no interest in.

I don’t feel it would add to the game. I don’t feel it would attract the players I’d want to play with.

If I thought it would improve the game, I’d be for it. But seeing as I don’t, why would I support it?

Well based on map chat in the game, there is a lot of people who would really like it (I do encourage you to ask map chat, if you get the chance, to form an opinion based on other players thoughts) Though this thought of mine, only hold value if you really do not care if it is being implemented or not, and do not want developers spending time on it mainly because you do not believe it adds to the game.
There is a lot of people who would actually like to duel, but do not want to enter an instance, or go through heart of the mist, to find a map where people might 1v1 inside another map.
And yesteday, a WvW commander that are on twitch, did showcase 1v1 with the new classes, around 800 viewers at all times (MightyTeapot) where people was very interested and cheered etc. Let me be very clear, I am not saying 1v1 will add any form of esports ideology into the game, I am just saying that would make things simple and fun.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

So… why don’t those people just use PvP then? I mean we even have custom PvP arenas in this game.

I don’t get it. Duelling is already part of the game? I’m confused. What is being asked for here. :<

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

why no duel?

in PvP

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You feel it would add to the game, I feel it would detract from the game. I guess the two views cancel each other out, so we keep the status quo.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: sokeenoppa.5384

sokeenoppa.5384

^they want to duel in pve Gear.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Dueling would have zero effect on PvE players because it’s 100% optional.

It would though. Only not in the way you are now thinking about.

On this point i would like to throw in my lot with Vayne.8563 on account of having the same issues he/she has with duel-hungry players that keep pestering you to duel with them. To the point even of whispering you and insulting you just to get what they want from you. I personally experience this behavior as invasive and abusive.

It’s not something a yes/no button would be able to prevent.

As i stated earlier, i was somewhat neutral on this in the sense of letting everyone enjoy what they enjoy.

There is however a thing about pushy people that are obsessed with the urge of wanting to defeat you that i find very creepy. I ‘m sure they are having ’fun’ but i’m not so sure if that is a healthy kind of fun i would want in my game.

Developers resources aside…if ever implemented, dueling should be limited to beeing a switchable option AND only permitted in some out of the way place (instanced).

Although i am sure the forums would then also have to deal with the call/cries for 1v1 balance by the inevitable ‘weaker’ professions that this particular kind of passtime will reveal.

So in light of the above i would now change my ‘i-don’t-care’ to a solid NO!

why no duel?

in PvP

TheRandomGuy.7246

On this point i would like to throw in my lot with Vayne.8563 on account of having the same issues he/she has with duel-hungry players that keep pestering you to duel with them. To the point even of whispering you and insulting you just to get what they want from you. I personally experience this behavior as invasive and abusive.

What is stopping someone from stalking and whispering you ingame now? Dueling not gonna add new ways of being a kitten to the game no matter how much you want to believe in that.

why no duel?

in PvP

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why supply fodder to fuel the fire?

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

What is stopping someone from stalking and whispering you ingame now? Dueling not gonna add new ways of being a kitten to the game no matter how much you want to believe in that.

Ofcourse it will since you cant duel now thats 1 reason less to stalk and whisper/insult people in game atm.

why no duel?

in PvP

maddoctor.2738

What is stopping someone from stalking and whispering you ingame now?

I’ve had my fair share of whispers (and even duel requests) in WvW

why no duel?

in PvP

TheRandomGuy.7246

Why supply fodder to fuel the fire?

Why bother with fire in the first place when block exists.

why no duel?

in PvP

Abakk.9176

What is stopping someone from stalking and whispering you ingame now?

Maybe the fact that not having it now also doesn’t attrackt this type of player?

Dueling not gonna add new ways of being a kitten to the game no matter how much you want to believe in that

It is not so much a matter of ‘believing’ as a matter of knowing for a fact that it will entice a certain type of player to find the best reason ever to finally join GW2 (probably good for Anet but not so good for some players). Or setting off people that are already in and can’t believe they can finally show the world how powerful they are.

Duelling in itself wouldn’t be so bad but it is a fact that most people can’t handle such freedom and fall into some form of mental barbarism. If they lose a match they want a rematch, and another one and another.. because in their mind they cannot lose, so it must be you that is doing something wrong or even cheating/hacking.

If they win they are just as obnoxious and spam ‘scrub’ for a few hours (if you are lucky).

This isn’t something i desperately ‘want to believe in’ but something i have witnessed and experienced for years.

It’s an opinion based on facts and experience, nothing more, nothing less.

If Anet should ever implement it then i will deal with it but given the chance i would vote against it.

why no duel?

in PvP

TheRandomGuy.7246

Duelling in itself wouldn’t be so bad but it is a fact that most people can’t handle such freedom and fall into some form of mental barbarism.

Instanced content, pvp, wvw, party system, guilds, mail, chat and multiplayer are not bad but they do attract kittens. Block button and report system are tools against kittens. Not adding something because bad people MIGHT show up and annoy someone for a split second before getting blocked is pretty terrible excuse.

why no duel?

in PvP

Abakk.9176

Duelling in itself wouldn’t be so bad but it is a fact that most people can’t handle such freedom and fall into some form of mental barbarism.

Instanced content, pvp, wvw, party system, guilds, mail, chat and multiplayer are not bad but they do attract kittens. Block button and report system are tools against kittens. Not adding something because bad people MIGHT show up and annoy someone for a split second before getting blocked is pretty terrible excuse.

Duels are not in the game. On the question “Why no Duel?” my answer is the statement and explanation i have given. All are based on experience in another game.

All your denials will not erase my knowledge based on experience and convince me that bad stuff can’t happen here because ‘reportbutton & block’.
I just explained how they did happen despite ‘reportbutton & block’.

Not adding something because bad people MIGHT show up and annoy someone for a split second before getting blocked is pretty terrible excuse

Not adding something because you know bad people WILL show up, based on past experience and knowledge of human character flaws in general can also be considered wisdom.

All in all it doesn’t add anything of value to a PvE environment imo.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Duelling is fine, but it belongs in pvp modes. It always brings a level of toxicity to games in pve even with an opt out. Open world should eremain a cooperative environment. Anet are generally pretty good at keeping modes separate and I can’t see them ever recoding open world space to be pvp compatible when the appropriate spaces exist

I generally agree with this statement. However, I prefer that Anet spend resources on other content like Stories, Maps, Armor, etc. I would not vote for the creation of dueling even in a PvP environment.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I honestly just do not get it, why are people so afraid of Dueling everywhere? What is so scary about it? It can not be the “spams of dueling” that does not happen in any other game, and even if a person asks you for a match, it wont be much different than a random person asking for a party or squad invite

And why differentiating PvE and PvP so heavily? Even if people did PvP, and you hate it, you really would not have to participate, it is basically like forcing another person not to have fun because you do not like that game mode?

They seem to think they are going to be forced into duels and bullied or something.

Back when they added dueling in Dark Age of Camelot years ago, initially people were excited and made large gatherings dueling each other, eventually people got tired of it and it just became something people did when they were waiting around bored.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Sons.5493

Sons.5493

I really don’t get all the naysayers.

It’s not that i would be able to gank you in PvE. Just have an option to automatically decline all duel request. There’s no way this would affect PvE in any way.

There’s a lot of ways to duel in this game right, and they all require Loading screens and you getting out of the way and feel super clunky. I just wanna duel my guildies and my friends while we are out doing whatever. I don’t know why you people make such a big deal out of this.

And ppl saying “it takes to much resources” im fairly sure implementing a /duel feature with an option to autodecline isnt even that hard compared to the stuff that is already in the game.

I for one would welcome duels anywhere, wvw and pvp. It would be a great addition and i hope Arenanets does look pass all the hate and can see how healthy it would be for the game.

why no duel?

in PvP

Vayne.8563

snip

Well based on map chat in the game, there is a lot of people who would really like it (I do encourage you to ask map chat, if you get the chance, to form an opinion based on other players thoughts) Though this thought of mine, only hold value if you really do not care if it is being implemented or not, and do not want developers spending time on it mainly because you do not believe it adds to the game.
There is a lot of people who would actually like to duel, but do not want to enter an instance, or go through heart of the mist, to find a map where people might 1v1 inside another map.
And yesteday, a WvW commander that are on twitch, did showcase 1v1 with the new classes, around 800 viewers at all times (MightyTeapot) where people was very interested and cheered etc. Let me be very clear, I am not saying 1v1 will add any form of esports ideology into the game, I am just saying that would make things simple and fun.

There are plenty of people who really like hard content, but Anet released hard content due to a very vocal lot and a lot of people then started complaining about all the hard content.

Seems to me that people talking in map chat is nothing to base a decision on.

Also more PvPers watch twitch than PvE’ers so that demographic would be completely skewed.

For the longest time this game was centered more around casual PvE than anything else, which means the bulk of the population was casual PvE.

Every single time a dueling thread popped up there was a ton of resistence to it. Not just one or two people but more than 50% of the thread.

You’re saying I want the ability to fight people. The game offers that. In guild halls, in PvP (there are dualing rooms even) and roaming in WvW..

There’s no need to waste developer time on a feature that would annoy a percentage of the playerbase in my opinion.

Your opinion may vary but as always, Anet makes those decisions So far, it’s not high enough on their priority list and I’m glad that’s the case.

why no duel?

in PvP

maddoctor.2738

There’s no way this would affect PvE in any way.

What happens if where you are dueling there are mobs around? Or events?

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

If you want to duel, you an Go to the Guild Arena and fight.

You can go to an sPvP map and fight

You an go to a WvW map and fight.

People who want to fight other players can use these options.

The last thing PvE players need is a bunch of people with over inflated egos challenging everyone that does not agree with them to a duel.

On top of that, the last thing PvE maps need is the endless salty crying of wanna be pvp’ers.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Sons.5493

Sons.5493

There’s no way this would affect PvE in any way.

What happens if where you are dueling there are mobs around? Or events?

As soon as a third party interferes (mobs) the duel is canceled and both participants are restored to the health they had before the duel and the world keeps on spinning.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Fully open world PvP and dueling are not the same thing. This quote does not mention dueling at all. The “prohibitive amount of work” refers to adapting a fully cooperative PvE environment to support fully competitive PvE. It’s right in the bloody quote. All PvE map dueling would require is a duel option, and the adaptation of costume brawl mechanics (which allow two players to fight with zero impact on others) so they could use their own skills.

So, why hasn’t ANet put in a dueling option? There was always an option to duel in WvW, albeit with the risk of others joining in. Since the first duel request hit right after launch, ANet has added two other options for dueling (custom arenas and guild halls). Why are they putting dueling players out of the sight of others? Duelphobia, plain and simple. They are trying to give duelers some of what they want without angering those who believe that dueling would ruin the game for them. Out of sight, out of mind.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

If you want to duel, you an Go to the Guild Arena and fight.

You can go to an sPvP map and fight

You an go to a WvW map and fight.

People who want to fight other players can use these options.

The last thing PvE players need is a bunch of people with over inflated egos challenging everyone that does not agree with them to a duel.

On top of that, the last thing PvE maps need is the endless salty crying of wanna be pvp’ers.

I still honestly do not get that mindset. It is like you are differentiating the game between PvP´ers and PvE´ers. As if PvE’ers never went to wvw or pvp and WvW´ers/pvpers never went to PvE content…which is a weird to position an argument. Even if I would were to accept this as a valid argument as of why dueling should not be in PvE, I would still be able to turn it around and say that PvE is still in those 2 PvP games, and in most if not all cases, killing a PvE mob in WvW or SPvP always count for more than killing a player. So adding a duel, which is considerably small and doesnt reward anything in PvE, should be a given right.

I am not saying this should ever become a valid argument as of why duel should be implemented, I am just presenting an answer if you truly believe that PvE and PvP players are like 2 different worlds where as each get a bit from the devs each time, and that we should take the whole “if you are in pvp you pvp and if in pve, you pve” argument seriously, instead of putting up the argument in a fair way.

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I still honestly do not get that mindset. It is like you are differentiating the game between PvP´ers and PvE´ers. As if PvE’ers never went to wvw or pvp and WvW´ers/pvpers never went to PvE content…which is a weird to position an argument. Even if I would were to accept this as a valid argument as of why dueling should not be in PvE, I would still be able to turn it around and say that PvE is still in those 2 PvP games, and in most if not all cases, killing a PvE mob in WvW or SPvP always count for more than killing a player. So adding a duel, which is considerably small and doesnt reward anything in PvE, should be a given right.

I am not saying this should ever become a valid argument as of why duel should be implemented, I am just presenting an answer if you truly believe that PvE and PvP players are like 2 different worlds where as each get a bit from the devs each time, and that we should take the whole “if you are in pvp you pvp and if in pve, you pve” argument seriously, instead of putting up the argument in a fair way.

I think you are forgetting all the PVErs who repeatedly asked for WVW, to be excluded from map completion because they didn’t want to go there, it was enough people in agreement that ANET eventually did it, so yes in this game there is a large enough separation of the two.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

why no duel?

in PvP

zengara.8301

I think you are forgetting all the PVErs who repeatedly asked for WVW, to be excluded from map completion because they didn’t want to go there, it was enough people in agreement that ANET eventually did it, so yes in this game there is a large enough separation of the two.

I remember that. (I did the map completion in wvw before they changed that). The main reason that got changed, was not because they did not want to enter wvw to complete it. But because it was for some servers impossible to actually complete it, since you need for example to enter another persons Garri, which was almost impossible at that given time. Now it seems a lot easiere since the commanders do use stacking, healing, and have ways to defend themselves with defending sieges. But still, People have explicitly mentioned that they have for weeks tried to get it, but could simply not get the vista from all 4 maps on all the keeps.

<Edit> I personally do not know if there were WvW players or guilds only for wvw at that given time, since I do not remember it. But the map chat was certainly always filled with “it is to hard to get” from both PvE and PvP players…..of cause at that given time I dont think any of the players was only standing still on 1 game mode. <Edit>

(edited by zengara.8301)

why no duel?

in PvP

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

You’re going to get the same responses since the game came out. The PvE players are frightened and literally shake at the thought of having someone send them a duel request.

Every major MMO that features dueling has an option to ignore duel requests so this is not an excuse.

Their other excuse is “I don’t want duels to clutter my precious Lions Arch!” but they’re the FIRST ONES to fill LA with dumb halloween costume fights.

There’s zero reason not to have dueling in the game. It’s a fun way for friends to test builds against each other while you wait to start a dungeon.

Stop taking the game so seriously. Who cares if people duel near you.