why there is no more cleric guards ?

in PvP

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

since i switched to a full Shout cleric shield hammer / Staff guard i barely loose a single match.
and barely anyone dies in my team.

ofcorse if the enemy team have 1-2 necros totaly build for converting boons into condis 24/7 then i pretty much killing my team XD

anywaaay

Attachments:

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Cleric guardian is still really really strong, but lots of people I know don’t find playing the slow, point-holding, babysitter role to be all that fun. They want to be fast, mobile, and kill everything in sight, even though playing a support guard is logically a better choice for solo queue since most people don’t know how to outrotate it (which is pretty easy).

I know this is of unpopular opinion, but I think a support dragonhunterbuild could be more fun since you’d have way more CC over base support guardian (it has very little).

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: Starfall.6425

Starfall.6425

Because burn is for a lot of people more fun and another 95% think burn guard is OP… so yeah.

I’m currently playing burn too, because during the first year of GW2 a condi guard wasn’t possible and I played mostly bunker. But yes, support guards really make my life hard and in a good team, against much condi it is pure gold.

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth

in PvP

Zoltreez.6435

its kitten good in the current Condi meta

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Cleric guardian is still really really strong, but lots of people I know don’t find playing the slow, point-holding, babysitter role to be all that fun. They want to be fast, mobile, and kill everything in sight, even though playing a support guard is logically a better choice for solo queue since most people don’t know how to outrotate it (which is pretty easy).

I’m currently playing burn too, because during the first year of GW2 a condi guard wasn’t possible and I played mostly bunker. But yes, support guards really make my life hard and in a good team, against much condi it is pure gold.

^ Pretty much this.

Bunker Guardian really do perform better in Solo PvP in this current Burn Burst meta. But Burn Guard is just darn fun to play for several reasons, one being that Anet gave the guard community what we wanted (and other forums like the french, dutch, etc)

I switch to a bunker Guardian if my team are incredibly weak against conditions, especially if there’s more than 1 burst condi build.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

not only that but burn guard is also way more easy to play than bunker guard.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in PvP

Zoltreez.6435

not only that but burn guard is also way more easy to play than bunker guard.

its the oposite for me i think its waaaay easyer to play a bunker.

-Stellaris
-Guild Wars 2

in PvP

Starfall.6425

Just smashing buttons give decent results on both, but to play them to their best potential both need a good understaning of all classes and map awareness (like everyone that wants to play their classes best potential).

I don’t think one is generally more difficult than the other. Maybe the support a bit because you not only focus on yourself and the enemy but you need to keep track of your team. Burn is more selfish and therefore easier in that aspect.

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth

(edited by Starfall.6425)

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

There are a number of reasons why. Bunker Guard is generally seen as boring; it’s a lot slower place with more reactive type gameplay. Most people just want to play dps; either a bruiser or just straight burst, a lot don’t care for straight support, which is what bunker guard is. Also bunker Guard relies extremely heavily on your team, if your team is decent it’ll do well. However, if they are incompetent, it’s almost useless. On an actually team, bunker guard is very viable, however when it just comes to soloq it’s really just a coin flip this is due to rotations and lack of comp.

Also everyone is drinking the burn kool aid because it’s extremely easy to play.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I agree that burn is easier. You just have to worry about yourself and keeping eyes on what’s going to mess you up with the occasional team res. When playing bunker, you are focusing on your teammates hp, conditions, if they are getting focused, need stability, etc.. all while making sure you don’t get bursted down which can happen in a blink of an eye vs certain comps if you aren’t actively mitigating damage.

Also rotating as a bunker requires more thinking, because you generally have to commit since you move so slow point to point.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

It’s all I play when I play Guardian. Burning is fun but there are a ridiculous amount of burning guardians lately you will be more valuable on bunker the majority of the time. I think the slowness of the build is a little exaggerated the current meta build uses staff.

in PvP

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Staff requires you to stand in the symbol a while if you don’t want it to run out in a couple of seconds.

Burn guard on the other hand can blink and judges on a combined 1800 units. Makes a fair difference, plus out rotating a bunker isn’t hard if your teammates are losing the 1v1s

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

Burn Guard is REALLY good in low MMR games.
Like, REEEALLY good. There’s a reason why when you ask casuals PvPer, they complain a lot more about burning than in higher ranked games.
Lots of people playing dumb stuff that dies instantly to burn guard.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

It’s just the fun/ease factor. Bunker guard is easily the best bunker around, and I hold 1v2 with no problem. But honestly it’s boring. It also lack the ability to run away in case your teammates suck. You basically has to double down that your teammates don’t suck and will be able to dps while you’re keeping them alive. Most people don’t like to bet on the competency of their teammates like that, so they pick more selfish builds to play.

Beside, burning is so great, gotta enjoy it while it lasts.

P.S: you can play a bunker + burning Guardian too, you don’t have to go 100% burning. I don’t think I’ve ever lost a 1v1 with it.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

I play all 8 but here’s how I label the 2 professions I’ve been playing often:

d/d ele – Messiah
support guard – Saint
burn guard – Sinner

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Like, REEEALLY good. There’s a reason why when you ask casuals PvPer, they complain a lot more about burning than in higher ranked games.

So it’s good up through the oRNG levels in EU. I’m curious what you consider high MMR.

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

So it’s good up through the oRNG levels in EU. I’m curious what you consider high MMR.

it’s good against lord heltseths running pu berserk

and we clearly saw how good burn guard was vs abjured.
burn guard is something that you can counterpick with, on the other hand if you build too much on burn guards you can get counterpicked easily too.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

(edited by Jekkt.6045)

in PvP

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

I didn’t say it wasn’t also good in high MMR, it’s a fairly good build there too obviously.
It’s just, there’s some meta build that bad players just don’t know how to counter, and burn guard is usually one of them.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

in PvP

Starfall.6425

With that logic every thief running Tokers build should completely stomp low mmr, but every thief complains ^^

In a setting where the players are still learning their own class and just get a feeling for rotating and teamplay burn-guard melts face. It’s the same with Mesmer.. people are just overstrained with keeping track of the real mesmer, looking at minimap, watching for tells and your own CDs.

In the ESL it is simply a counterpick to a certain player and not really the meta.

I would say that I play in ‘higher-mid-tier’, so better than average but not especially good, and you feel a real difference between enemies that know the burn-guard and ones that don’t. For example I wonder how many of those complaining about burn-guard know that minions or other players intercept zealot’s flame if you position correctly… so if the burn-guard doesn’t stand face-to-face you don’t even need to dodge his two biggest bursts.

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth

in PvP

Cat Has Ducks.1982

How does anyone know what mmr is what if it’s invisible to us. It’s not like dota2 where you can clearly see if you are above or under 4k mmr

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in PvP

Starfall.6425

How does anyone know what mmr is what if it’s invisible to us. It’s not like dota2 where you can clearly see if you are above or under 4k mmr

Noone said that they know. But I face lot’s of dragon/phenix that know mostly what they are doing, so I expected higher mid. If you face ESL players you can expect to be at the top and if you face new/unexperienced players that basically still panic-push all buttons on CD then you might be low ^^

[DP] – Diamond Pirates
[AM] – Abaddon’s Mouth

in PvP

nearlight.3064

Personally I find bunker guard much easier to play than burn (although I take permeating wrath/supreme justice, so that could be wide). In fact its probably the first build I’d give to someone if I was teaching them how to play this game for the first time ever, since its survival is good, its support is easy, and you just need to learn what cooldowns to use and when.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Bunker guard is about to die off thanks to ventari and druid. If you enjoy cleric guardian, pick one of those two. Entire landscape is changing anyways.

in PvP

nearlight.3064

Bunker guard is about to die off thanks to ventari and druid. If you enjoy cleric guardian, pick one of those two. Entire landscape is changing anyways.

What?

Those two builds have generally poorer ways to give allies useful boons (stability especially) revive people or cleanse condis off of allies. Yeah they’re healing is way better, but support guards will still give the type of actual support people want and need (revives, stability, aegis, quickness, condition cleanses) that matter much more than heals alone.

With ventari/glint herald its arguable, but your rez/stability/condi cleanse cability for allies is still much much weaker than anything a guardian can put out. It might be seen slightly less if teamfight comps become less meta though, which would be due to better bruiser builds (reaper/scrapper) and more survivable burst builds (chronomancer/ glint/shiro herald/ trap DH) than druid or ventari outclassing guardians (which they don’t).

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

Idk man, glint/ventari come with a similar amount of boon support, aoe healing, only with reveal and an asston of CC. All I’m seeing here that bunker guard can do that bunker rev can’t is dedicated res support.

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Idk man, glint/ventari come with a similar amount of boon support, aoe healing, only with reveal and an asston of CC. All I’m seeing here that bunker guard can do that bunker rev can’t is dedicated res support.

But that res support is insanely potent, short cooldown stability + short cooldown quickness + knockback bubble makes it incredibly difficult to stomp anyone near a bunker guardian. Then once they get up, they get long lasting protection and regeneration. I think res support is the primary reason bunk guard is taken.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in PvP

SlayerSixx.5763

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what goes on in the tournaments after HoT drops.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Bunker guardian can be strong, but it needs the right team and teamwork. It works best with damage builds which can sustain for a long duration or burst builds which can kill quickly and rotate to the next fight. Put it with a team of mostly bruisers and it will hold them back, since the team will be lacking in damage overall.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Bunker not so easy to play against better teams when they are smart enough to focus you or bring counter comps against it. Good Mesmers/Necromancers can trash a Bunker quickly actually.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.