would you rather lose for 1 point or 500 ?

in PvP

Posted by: Lachanche.6859

Lachanche.6859

Hello everyone, yesterday we had a little discussion on our guild teamspeak about losing a game and now i am curious to know what the forum thinks.
Are you more annoyed when you lose by a tiny bit (like 1 point for example) or when you get a blown out match where your team hardly scores any points ?

To get things started I’ll provide my opinion: it gets on my nerves when we almost win then lose, I start heating up about all the mistakes I did without which we could have won and it takes me a couple of minutes to cool down.
Yeah blown out games aren’t good either but if you are outplayed fair and square you don’t need to blame it on yourself, the other guys were simply out of your league.

So that’s my point of view, let’s hear yours now

in PvP

Posted by: Steb.2571

Steb.2571

Close matches are my favorite, even if you lose, they’re still fun and invigorating. I had 3 games last week that ended 500 – 499. It meant it was a perfectly balanced fight, which are the most fun imo.

IGN: Steb
Team: Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Agreed with steb, but really, I’m most annoyed when I just don’t play as well as I know I can. Whether I lose by 1 or 500 points, if I know I played as well as I can and I didn’t make any really dumb moves, I’m happy.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I like close matches, however sometimes they make me want to pull my teeth out. I’ll give an example of a game I had the other day.

It was on Kyhlo and we were down 470-465, however we had home and mid. For some reason the player at home decides to go get the treb kit and repair the treb, even though we were winning at mid. While this is happening a player simply goes to home and decaps it and we lose 500-498.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in PvP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

I like close matches, however sometimes they make me want to pull my teeth out. I’ll give an example of a game I had the other day.

It was on Kyhlo and we were down 470-465, however we had home and mid. For some reason the player at home decides to go get the treb kit and repair the treb, even though we were winning at mid. While this is happening a player simply goes to home and decaps it and we lose 500-498.

This is what happens when you play SoloQ and Hotjoin instead of TeamPvP with voice chat for proper team coordination.

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

definitely close matches. although,.. not if it happened because of some stupid move like Harbingers example.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

This is what happens when you play SoloQ and Hotjoin instead of TeamPvP with voice chat for proper team coordination.

Nah, yesterday I lost a match for the same reason: Khylo, we were up of about 10 points, 475-465 (something like that), we had mid and home, I shouted in caps in team chat “just defend home and mid”.

After 10 seconds, I got zerged at mid by 3 enemies, and I was alone. We lost the game 501-500 lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

I don’t play this game for winning but for fun. Leaderboard is broken as hell and there are no rewards or downsides from losing anyways – why even bother about it?
So I don’t care about winning/losing as long as it was a good game. That’s why I usually keep playing 4v5s or when there aren’t any real chances to win anymore (like 150-400 score). I think too many people take these pvp-games too serious. It’s still a game after all which should entertain you. And what could be more entertaining than a really balanced and close match?

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

(edited by Gorni.1764)

in PvP

Posted by: Pinkcomet.2975

Pinkcomet.2975

49X vs 500 is my fev. no matter which side I’m on.

except, I’m on 49x team and notice that 1 dude on my team cant carry himself.
while others have 100-150 personal score. he only have 35.

No need to blame him. its already obvious. XD

in PvP

Posted by: Lachanche.6859

Lachanche.6859

I don’t play this game for winning but for fun. Leaderboard is broken as hell and there are no rewards or downsides from losing anyways – why even bother about it?
So I don’t care about winning/losing as long as it was a good game. That’s why I usually keep playing 4v5s or when there aren’t any real chances to win anymore (like 150-400 score). I think too many people take these pvp-games too serious. It’s still a game after all which should entertain you. And what could be more entertaining than a really balanced and close match?

Be it a football game, be it a bike race, winning gives you that “ahh, nice” vibe and losing gives you the “well, this is annoying” feeling.
Of course it may be more or less intense depending on how much you care but gw2 is no exception, at least for me :P

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Close games are fun games.

Blow outs aren’t fun for anyone.

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Close games are the thrill we all play for.
Win/lose doesnt matter. Youll play at least 3 more games after.

Games where 1 guy gets dc, or when you clearly see your teammates are idiots from the start, you hardcarry whole game, and they still manage to lose a 450-350 lead…
That is for me NOT a close game , as I would not be jumping of joy if we won. Bad teammates are always a sigh

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

tanztante.6532

if you decap and contest a point for the rest of the game, preferrably against multiple opponents, you often have 10 points and you played a crucial part

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

Posted by: IsilZha.3608

IsilZha.3608

if you decap and contest a point for the rest of the game, preferrably against multiple opponents, you often have 10 points and you played a crucial part

This. Personal score is pretty useless. You get more personal score for uselessly killing someone off point, 3x more, than fighting over a neutral point, and you get piddly points for defense (mostly because it barely ever even triggers.) It also rewards teammates uselessly running to a point a teammate is already on and not contested, just to scorekitten for being totally worthless. A player with a powerful burst build can repeatedly spawn kill a weak player and end up with a high personal score, while never doing anything to help with the objective whatsoever.

As for point defense, if you want a higher personal score, it’s more worth it to intentionally flee to allow them to capture the point, fight and kill them off-point, then go and get de-cap and cap points. This is of course a horrible “strategy” that actively makes your team lose. Not that I can recall seeing someone do this, but it’s more to illustrate that you can get a high personal score for doing things are detrimental to your team’s victory. While as with your example, you can be a huge asset to your team’s victory and have a very low personal score.

It’s an atrociously lousy scoring system.

As to the thread topic. Definitely close games. I do kind of kick myself for losing by just a few points, but overall, even games are by far the best games to play – it’s a hell of a lot more fun.

“To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Close games for sure. Close games are fun, and can leave you thinking, “what could I have done better? How can I improve?” Whereas losing by a blowout is often a result of poor match making or a 4v5 or just a bad overall team that makes obvious and easy to avoid mistakes. The thing is that when most of a team is bad, or playing bad i should say, it’s almost Impossible to even play like you’re a good player, which isn’t fun and leaves you annoyed.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

in the past months, in team arena, i have experienced both before:
- close games (500 vs 499)
- blown out games (500 vs 0)

i enjoyed close games much more, even though we lost.

well, the exact moment when we lost a close game, i felt a bit disappointed, but it was over quickly, and i moved on, since i know we tried out best.

for that special 500 vs 0 match, well, it was not fun.
we were being slaughtered, picked off one by one, they were holding all 3 points and camping our spawn entrance.

it was on the temple of the silent storm, back then, i did not realize there was a 2nd exit at the back.

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I guess I’ll be the odd one out. I hate losing by 1 point a LOT more, because it kills me to know that victory was within our grasp, but we lost because of (sometimes very simple) mistakes, like everybody thinking we’d won and then getting into a big slugfest and not paying attention to the fact that we lost all our points.

On the other hand, if you lose by a big blowout, usually there’s a clear cut reason for it (4v5, enemy team super-stacked etc.) It’s nobody’s fault, and you either just quit (for Hotjoin), enjoy your autobalance victory, or yolo/duel-practice the rest of the match.

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

in PvP

tanztante.6532

This. Personal score is pretty useless. You get more personal score for uselessly killing someone off point, 3x more, than fighting over a neutral point, and you get piddly points for defense (mostly because it barely ever even triggers.) It also rewards teammates uselessly running to a point a teammate is already on and not contested, just to scorekitten for being totally worthless. A player with a powerful burst build can repeatedly spawn kill a weak player and end up with a high personal score, while never doing anything to help with the objective whatsoever.

As for point defense, if you want a higher personal score, it’s more worth it to intentionally flee to allow them to capture the point, fight and kill them off-point, then go and get de-cap and cap points. This is of course a horrible “strategy” that actively makes your team lose. Not that I can recall seeing someone do this, but it’s more to illustrate that you can get a high personal score for doing things are detrimental to your team’s victory. While as with your example, you can be a huge asset to your team’s victory and have a very low personal score.

It’s an atrociously lousy scoring system.

yep, it’s horrible. in fact, i think it’s even making people play worse. especially in yoloQ and hotjoin modes. PLUS! it’s setting new players on the completely wrong trail, that scoring points is actually your goal in pvp. IT IS NOT!

One example: In the past, before feature patch 1, back when ele was still strictly burst only, i have sometimes played a decap engi. i contested far but was never able to kill anybody. sometimes i even held it against 2 medium to three reallyreally bad players. i played 20 matches or so as a decap and we won 19 of them, before i stopped facerolling this horrible build. some games, i came out with 5 or 10 points, but most of the games, i came out with 0, yes, ZERO points, so of course, i did not get rank points, i did not get the tournament win reward, i did not get skins, i did not get anything for it, BUT I WAS THE ONLY REASON WE WON. well, me, the stupidity of the enemy team and of course my teammates who bravely fought 4v3 or 4v2.

i say: remove personal score from pvp, switch it into an active game time check 1/0 display, and add the possibility to report afk in yoloQ

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

tanztante.6532

On the other hand, if you lose by a big blowout, usually there’s a clear cut reason for it (4v5, enemy team super-stacked etc.) It’s nobody’s fault, and you either just quit (for Hotjoin), enjoy your autobalance victory, or yolo/duel-practice the rest of the match.

haha, you don’t even need a 4/5 or any of the above.

i remember a few encounters, when the matchup system completely failed:
CarCrash around when they were big and we were pvp rank 20 – 005:649 (they just had to kill the lord)

Wiggies Wicked Wang Gang, just before ToL2 signups, we were training 3 new guild members and they really wanted to tpvp with us once, to see what it’s like in the upper levels. 0:500. completely destroyed, hahahaha

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

If you can look back at the last fight before a loss and say “kitten , if I did X, I would have won this game”, it’s a good game. To that end, I’d rather lose by 1 point then 500.

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

same as what Steb said, if we lose 499 to 500 it means its been a fun competitive game.
(probably with 5v5 from the start and no spectator exploiters to ruin it for everyone)

i hate losing with landslide scores,
i hate winning with landslide scores,
both are boring.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

Hello everyone, yesterday we had a little discussion on our guild teamspeak about losing a game and now i am curious to know what the forum thinks.
Are you more annoyed when you lose by a tiny bit (like 1 point for example) or when you get a blown out match where your team hardly scores any points ?

To get things started I’ll provide my opinion: it gets on my nerves when we almost win then lose, I start heating up about all the mistakes I did without which we could have won and it takes me a couple of minutes to cool down.
Yeah blown out games aren’t good either but if you are outplayed fair and square you don’t need to blame it on yourself, the other guys were simply out of your league.

So that’s my point of view, let’s hear yours now

if you can’t go over 100 pnts you’ve just been outplayed…losing fro 1 point actually hurts more…

Ark 2nd Account