Are personal stories intended to be solo'd?

in Personal Story

Posted by: Tooks.8701

Tooks.8701

Q:

As the title suggests, I’d always assumed your personal story was designed to be solo’d (hence ‘personal story’) However I believe I’ve read its possible to bring players in with you, and despite my thief character meeting the required level for his story missions (or exceeding it sometimes) he still struggles when the story throws a veteran or harder boss monster at him.

I do love the story system in this game and the fact that its expanded on purely by how you choose to progress, but its going to be impossible for me to complete it (atleast on my thief) if I can’t do it without finding someone to help me.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Azaziel.3608

Azaziel.3608

A:

Don’t know what level you are but in my experience the first levels are harder, then they start to get easier, and after 70 they’re like walks in the park, probably because you have better gear, traits and skills, besides you learn how to fight better…

in Personal Story

Posted by: Killul.9685

Killul.9685

It is possible to bring other players in with you. I don’t know if it scales depending on the amount of players because I have never tried it myself.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Lauzian.4139

Lauzian.4139

I have just the opposite. Suicidal npcs are costing me a fortune as these later missions get bigger in scale. Why they can’t just follow me, or at the very least defend the position we are supposed to be defending instead of chasing risen across the map I do not understand. Oh, and a Champion randomly roaming a cutscene filled mission that just happens to pass by and completely destroy those same npcs and myself within seconds of the cutscene ending….priceless.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Shadowdawn.7946

Shadowdawn.7946

As the title suggests, I’d always assumed your personal story was designed to be solo’d (hence ‘personal story’) However I believe I’ve read its possible to bring players in with you, and despite my thief character meeting the required level for his story missions (or exceeding it sometimes) he still struggles when the story throws a veteran or harder boss monster at him.

I do love the story system in this game and the fact that its expanded on purely by how you choose to progress, but its going to be impossible for me to complete it (atleast on my thief) if I can’t do it without finding someone to help me.

They can be solo’d but it can be hard to do so as a thief. On my Charr thief, I had loads of problems, even when I was the right lvl. However I have managed to solo all my missions so far, I’m onto lvl 19 for charr, lvl 8 for Sylvari, and 8 for Asura. This is quest lvls not my actual character lvls. Try different weapon sets, I switched from P/P to D/P and it helped a lot. If you want to kite, get a shortbow or go P/P. S/P and S/D/ and D/D work too, but I don’t use them. Depends on skills too. For my thief I have Battle Roar and Caltrops, which works for me. Just figure out your play-style, and soon it’ll become easier.

I love all things Charr. They’re badkitten!

in Personal Story

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Almost all personal stories can be solo’d. There are a couple that need some tweaks but I can only say that whenever I have brought in a buddy then it was simply a cakewalk at that time.

I have helped guildies on their personal story and again it was a cakewalk once there are two thinking people.

in Personal Story

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Since everyone makes different decisions, you’ll can’t be sure that you’ll be able to do things along with friends, and spamming for pugs would take eons, since there isn’t a proper world-wide party search system in which you can indicate the things you are planning on doing like “Story step X” or “Dungeon Y, route Z”.

With going solo my thieves, I always have the shortbow as alternate set and lots of stealth. When things get troublesome, switch to bow, cloak away so they target an NPC, and then stay away with the shortbow.
No NPCs? Take things easy and slow, and pull enemies carefully. Groups are almost always of three or less, so if you pull more than that, run away and try to hit just one. Remember that the bow’s first attack bounces between enemies, so use the 2nd skill’s AoE to the closes one of them, as it has a 1200 unit range.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

Since everyone makes different decisions, you’ll can’t be sure that you’ll be able to do things along with friends

You don’t have to be on the same step, or even doing the same storyline. If you’re standing near a party member when they enter a personal story instance you’ll get a dialog box asking if you’d like to join them in their story.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

…and then theres the last mission