Cliche Theme with a Stunning Lack of Epicness

in Personal Story

Posted by: redhand.7168

redhand.7168

At the end of the day, whether you like GW2 or not, I just have to say it. GW2’s theme is really cliche. Dragons? I mean, we all know ANet’s creative team can do better than that.

In Guild Wars Prophecies (the premiere Guild Wars campaign), there was some complex storyline about an alliance between the Charr and the Titans, all being manipulated by the Mursaat and Vizier Khilbron. Vizier being an betraying ally, using the player to get the Scepter of Orr – which, outside of the game, you learn he used to sink Orr in the first place. The final battle between you and the Juggernaut Khilbron, known as the Undead Lich, ends up banishing the Titans and there you go. Pretty cool.

In Guild Wars Factions, you start as a pupil of Minister Togo, experience firsthand the Affliction at its inception, unite the two Factions to join the cause by venturing to their very impressively themed homelands, and finally defeating the returning-from-the-dead demi-god that Petrified the Forests and Jaded the Seas.

In Nightfall, you rise in the ranks as a Sunspear (which I like the rising in the ranks idea) and fight off some mysterious beings that arise in old Sunspear ruins (The Apocrypha), and shadow a suspicious Varesh Ossa (whose ancestor banished an ancient evil in the past who appears as an ally in the Crystal Desert in Prophecies). You track her and play a major role in the war against Kourna (as opposed to GW2 where you play a major role in nothing), free an ancient evil that Turai Ossa banished years ago, and ally with him to gain access to Varesh and into Abbadon’s realm (Realm of Torment), where you embark on yet another quest to defeat the god (you kill a god, for pete sake).

The progression of the story in GW2 is just too slow and uninspiring. In each of the GW1 campaigns, I was anticipating what was coming next and playing the story, as opposed to the steady grind to gain the levels to be disappointed yet again by another dull, discontinuous, episodic chapter of a greater story that you honestly play no effective role in. I know it cannot be undone, but please, ArenaNet, do better next time.

in Personal Story

Posted by: SilverangelXx.1685

SilverangelXx.1685

Agree. So tired of dragons. It’s an epidemic that is out of control.

in Personal Story

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So, which other games have Dragons (if that is even their real form) that are more like forces of nature rather than just a big bad guy?

It is also quite funny how you say that GW1 was soo much better and less cliche, when it is just as much cliche if not more. You also seems to miss the fact that all stories (exact Eye of the North, which is more tied to GW2) are tied to Abbadon.
So all in all the whole story is simply about a big bad god wanting to kill everyone (just like those 10 million other fantasy stories)

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Personal Story

Posted by: Jam.4521

Jam.4521

To be honest I like the dragons, especially in this form as hugely powerful beings, not just the fact that they are big and scary, they all have some form of corrupting influence on the world around them, that’s the bit that makes them interesting.

I very much enjoyed the GW1 story, but let the devs expand the living story, and we should see some interesting enemies. I did like how the Flame and Frost story, where (I assume) the power used is drawn from the elder dragon Primordious, at least for the flame bit as the Flame legion are involved.

BOOM

in Personal Story

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I think we should stop putting God-like enemies into videogames.

It’s always disappointing when they die.

Or you go like Lovecraft, where the characters only fight weak personifications of the Great Old Ones or someone of their worshippers. They never kill a God.
Or you do epic enemies without necessarily being Gods.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

(edited by redslion.9675)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Yeah it’s a shame. At least the first third of the personal story is good for some races such as the asura.

The rest is just one big cliche, but to be fair it is reasonably well executed (depending on which choices/decisions you take – eg, some Vigil quests had me cringing a lot compared to the Priory, which I thought was pretty good).

in Personal Story

Posted by: Vulpis.8063

Vulpis.8063

Yeah it’s a shame. At least the first third of the personal story is good for some races such as the asura.

The rest is just one big cliche, but to be fair it is reasonably well executed (depending on which choices/decisions you take – eg, some Vigil quests had me cringing a lot compared to the Priory, which I thought was pretty good).

Indeed. The Asura story is good, right up until it stops being the asuran-specific story. Sieren of the Priory is amusing, despite being an obvious Lara Croft expy. But it apparently gets less and less interesting….and ultimately ends in the laziest way to end a story ever, a 5-man dungeon. (If you were doing the Destiny’s Edge story, that’s appropriate to end with a dungeon, as it’s dungeons all the way. But the personal story? No.