Defending Trahearne - might not be his fault

in Personal Story

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Everyone dislikes the poor guy, saying he stepped in and took the limelight. I can see how that is unless you’ve played from a Sylvari’s point of view, when you meet him as early as the second part of your personal story.

But…what if it’s not Trahearne’s fault that he is such an unlikable character? I had my second Sylvari go through the personal story, and found some interesting dialogue.

The Sylvari storyline with the Orders of Tyria involves the task of retrieving the sword Caladbolg. It’s considered to be a living weapon, where it enhances the qualities of its wielder – strength, honor, wisdom, bravery, etc. This goes true for negative qualities as well. The second owner of the sword, Waine, was considered a coward, and that quality was only enhanced by wielding the sword. He was arrogant and selfish. He also gets very intimidated when put in a situation the sword couldn’t fight him out of.

After Caladbolg was retrieved, the Pale Tree eventually gave it to Trahearne.

But does this mean Trahearne was just a glory-stealing, overly prideful shrub the whole time? Nope, I don’t think so.

Trahearne is a meek scholar. Before he got the sword, he doesn’t want to fight. Quoted directly from the story dialogue: “My knowledge of the undead will be useful, but I’m no general. I’ll follow behind, and revive those who fall.”

Follow behind. The main character. And remain out of sight. He’s just there to assist. My Sylvari gets to run into the army of undead, swinging Caladbolg with a fearsome battle cry, and lead an army of Vigil Soldiers to victory.

Trahearne was always there to assist. He never liked fighting undead. When he goes to Orr, he observes them from a distance. And he definitely doesn’t like taking a lead role in battle. Before he got the sword, whenever the subject of ‘taking charge’ came up, he tries to come up with explanations that he’s just a scholar, not a fighter.

So, by that logic, it doesn’t make sense, does it? He shouldn’t have turned into what many people see as an overbearing general. But consider this:

His Wyld Hunt was considered impossible. He was supposed to cleanse the land of Orr, and make it livable again. But at that time it was believed that there was no cure. Even if the dragons were defeated, he’d never accomplish his destiny. He was quiet and meek by nature, but he had one overriding quality: he was stubborn and headstrong. Despite an impossible hunt, he kept up his research on Orr. Despite his dislike of fighting undead, he assists when needed. And he has a heckuva strong sense of honor. He’ll go out of his comfort zone just to do what is morally right.

His nature of soliditary makes him unable to connect to the main player. He joins you out of a mix of guilt and sorrow after you lost your mentor, and does his best to assist you. This is all before receiving the sword, and before the Pale Tree tells Trahearne that he must accompany the player to help stop the Dragon’s Corruption (to which he again insists he’s just a simple scholar).

And now he receives the sword that enhances his qualities. Just like before, he moves out of his comfort zone to do what’s needed, and take the position of general. Giving out orders comes from the undenied fact that he knew what was the strongest blow against the undead. But he still needed to ask a seasoned adventurer on the proper course of action, when it came to delivering that blow. He’s not after the glory at all, he’s only trying to do what is asked of him – be a hero.

Yes, he was asked to be a hero. He was asked by the Pale Tree. He was asked by every Sylvari that look up to a Firstborn. He was asked by his Wyld Hunt. He was asked by destiny. And when you have a prophesy dangling over your head, that adds a lotta pressure.

There is a prophetess in Rata Sum who said that the return of Caladbolg would be the Dragon’s downfall.

He never intended to steal glory. He just needed all the good rep he could scrape together to appear like a competent general. He had to show he was capable. If he did not, the Pact would have fallen apart, and the Elder Dragons would never have been defeated.

Caladbolg helped him find the inner strength to overstep his boundaries, increase his sense of honor, and increase his tenacity to continue an impossible Wyld Hunt. But it also increased his solitary nature. It increased his ‘Firstborn-mentor’ quality (which to a non-sylvari, would be overbearing).

It’s just a shame he’ll never be able to open up and tell you all this, because you’ll just see him as a needy plant that can’t take the pressure to lead the Pact. He’s probably eager for an understanding friend, when he’s so far away from his kin in an unforsaken land.

Attachments:

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

in Personal Story

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

To be honest, the qualities I disliked about Trahearne wasn’t due to his backstory. I know quite well he was thrust unwillingly (despite there being plain and obvious better candidates) into his position and expected alot of. However he always came to the player for aid. It wasn’t his fault others gave the credit to him in most regards either.

However, beyond accompanying you because of your mentor, he never -really- attaches to you. You are sadly never really buddies rubbing shoulders together in either regard. His cold and unemotional state is probably what causes so much dislike. It’s hard to like him, because you never find something TO like that allows you to connect with him, unlike your mentors.

General, scholar or anything, he never tries to connect on the level of ‘friend’ he claims. You never really know anything more about him that any average NPC knows.

This of course isn’t bringing into the factor of him being one of the most useless npc allies in a fight, his ability to at-whim summon uber monsters without explanation or being able to do it when you REALLY need it.

However, in terms of your theory there is one slight problem. What traits did the sword accentuate for Trahearne? He never really changed at all personality wise while wielding it. Nor did any of his strengths or weaknesses flourish two-fold. Which might have actually be an interesting thing to see him being conflicted in such a manner of the properties of the sword.

Duty is heavier than death.

in Personal Story

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I like Trahearne, kinda. I just wish that his voice-acting had more emotion. The way he speaks most of the times makes him seem bored; even his evil mesmer clone illusion thing has more emotion to it.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

I had no problems with Trahearne “stealing the limelight,” as it were. I never understood the hatred people had over this for Kormir either. This is an MMO where the character is a blank slate; clearly the player couldn’t take Abbadon’s place. Someone had to step up to the mantle of godhood, and it had to be an NPC, so why hate that NPC? Similarly, someone other than the player character had to lead the Pact.

My problem with Trahearne is that the role he filled would have been much better suited for Destiny’s Edge. We spend the first chunk of the game with members of DE and then they suddenly disappear. The Pact needs a leader and instead of them we get this sylvari with a dull personality that no one connects with. Trahearne could have still been around and still been at the front of cleansing Orr, but DE actually has leadership and dragon-fighting experience. Not putting them at the head of the Pact was a serious mistake.

in Personal Story

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

You are saying that Caladblog changed him from a grey, uncreative yet noble and highly experienced scholar into something similar to a machine?

Ok, that’s understandable. But that doesn’t remove the fact playing alongside such machine is boring.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Personal Story

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

It just felt forced on us. Trahearne, the character, wasn’t so bad, but he was made the leader in the story, and that’s where the problem began. He should’ve just been a side character for several stories, then vanished into the background. Why would nominating a scholar of Orr, be an epic tale? It’s not. Not only that, but his voice and tone, and overall weakness, makes it feel as if he doesn’t want to be there. It just kills the mood.

The major problem though, was that there are 2 stories running parallel alongside each other.

Personal Story & Dungeon Stories.

They try to weave themselves together, but it doesn’t work. All we ever get is mail from Destiny’s Edge, telling us they are checking on our progress. How lame. I actually wanted to participate with them, but that only happens during dungeons.

In my opinion, the Personal Story should’ve involved Destiny’s Edge throughout the game, but it stops even before level 20.

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

I had no problems with Trahearne “stealing the limelight,” as it were. I never understood the hatred people had over this for Kormir either. This is an MMO where the character is a blank slate; clearly the player couldn’t take Abbadon’s place. Someone had to step up to the mantle of godhood, and it had to be an NPC, so why hate that NPC? Similarly, someone other than the player character had to lead the Pact.

My problem with Trahearne is that the role he filled would have been much better suited for Destiny’s Edge. We spend the first chunk of the game with members of DE and then they suddenly disappear. The Pact needs a leader and instead of them we get this sylvari with a dull personality that no one connects with. Trahearne could have still been around and still been at the front of cleansing Orr, but DE actually has leadership and dragon-fighting experience. Not putting them at the head of the Pact was a serious mistake.

DE could barely coexist in the same room together for most of the game. Putting them at the head of anything wouldve been terrible.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Personal Story

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Wow, this is a pretty well researched thread. Good job.
I often think people should do the sylvari storyline at least once, preferably on their first playthrough. My first character was a Sylvari, and I had some trouble understanding why people whined about him so much.
Also, Trahearne is the first of the Firstborn, so hes kinda extra special in that regard.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /