Add an "AFK mode" to the game?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

There’s a sight issue with sometimes bots loitering in areas that are prone to events they can mooch off of, but also with genuine players having to go AFK and other players mistaking them for bots. My suggestion would be to involve a gameplay mechanic that would allow a player to type /afk, go into a recognizable animation (perhaps with a little “AFK” flag above their head), and while in this mode, the player would be flagged by the system in such a way that they cannot collect event credit, even if they are in the right area for it, which would mean that any player you see in this mode is clearly not up to shenanigans.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

there is type /afk

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

there is type /afk

Tested this a second ago.

It doesn’t work.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

log out to the char selection screen. Why stand somewhere where you can get attacked and why waste server resources while you go do whatever? It is not like it takes long to log in/out in this game.

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Keyboard

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

log out to the char selection screen. Why stand somewhere where you can get attacked and why waste server resources while you go do whatever? It is not like it takes long to log in/out in this game.

Loading screens. Sometimes the amount of time to load is unnecessary long for some computers.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Loading screens. Sometimes the amount of time to load is unnecessary long for some computers.

In my experience, a loading screen can take as little as a minute or so, and as long as several minutes, depending on various conditions. I’d rather not log out if I intend to be back within a few minutes, and I know most of the world well enough to put my character someplace relatively safe.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Really isn’t a need, they’d have to do extra coding for it to be a non issue for regular players , make it so it’s not so annoying yada yada…think that’s why they didn’t add it.

Also, just report the broken bots for standing there dieing over and over naked in the middle of Orr. I’m very sure a regular player isn’t doing that.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

And what is the use of the auto kick after a certain amount of activity crap? If it was designed to kill bots temporarily, it is not working and just annoying players that do afk or switch windows for long periods of time.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

And what is the use of the auto kick after a certain amount of activity crap? If it was designed to kill bots temporarily, it is not working and just annoying players that do afk or switch windows for long periods of time.

ensuring the servers don’t get filled up with 50% of the players being AFK for longer periods of time maybe? (same as any other MMO out there really)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

This.

And if a loading screen takes 1+ minute(s) in GW2 for you, then there is something very wrong with your computer.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

in Suggestions

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

And if a loading screen takes 1+ minute(s) in GW2 for you, then there is something very wrong with your computer.

Or it could just be that the computer is old like mine is. Loading takes even longer the more densely populated the zone is, aka Lion’s Arch.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP raises a non-issue: players getting confused with bots. It just doesn’t happen. Sure, someone can accidentally report a real player who happens to be near some bots, but ANet isn’t going to ban them based on just your word (or even that of 10-20 people). They look at the overall picture: same area? same route? often afk in the exact same place? often afk in bot-heavy locations?

Even if this were an issue, there are existing alternatives:

• You can easily AFK by using [F12], especially if you know that you won’t be playing for more than 5-10 minutes.
  • If you’re worried about loading times, you can easily move your toon to a safe area (and since it’s safe, there’s little risk of anyone reporting you).

Finally, if I see a naked toon standing near an event-rich area, I’m going to report them regardless of whether they have a special symbol above their head. I’m not able to sort out who is a bot and who isn’t — ANet has paid staff to do that and I’d rather spend my time playing the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rodaquiste.7631

Rodaquiste.7631

pess Y key to bring up friends list there is a green icon there change it to yellow and all in guild will see you as away

in Suggestions

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Yeah… Anet doesn’t just ban people because they were reported as bots otherwise there would be trolls reporting everyone just to get them banned. They have a lot of information stored their side that they can use to see what the behavior of the reported player has been like and there is no chance of a player being banned as a bot, the differences are just too much. I would imagine if the bot was done really well there’s a chance they might get mistaken for a player but that isn’t very likely and if it does happen it won’t have a direct impact on you.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books