Allow Blink to bridge gaps

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

So currently, if you are a mesmer and use blink in an attempt to cross a gap, you teleport to the near edge without crossing the gap.

However, as a warrior, you can use Earthshaker to jump the same gap, and you even have some degree of vertical movement too.

Can we make Blink behave like this for the purpose of movement?
At the moment it’s only useful for crossing small distances on one continuous surface.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

As a Rifle Engi I also love my Jump Shot for crossing gaps.

I don’t see why Blink or even Infiltrator’s Arrow can’t cross gaps

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

in Suggestions

Mungrul.9358

Yeah, good point, I forgot about Infiltrator’s Arrow. Maybe the Elementalist’s Lightning Flash should also work the same way?

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Do not mix jumps and teleports. Jumps have an animation and most likely a casttime.

But yeah, I’d also see blink to work on “jumpable” gaps. Jumps may reach farther.
But even there, I’d prefer the circle to be red when you can’t teleport there, so you don’t try and go in CD.

in Suggestions

Mungrul.9358

Not really mixing them up, just saying the end result should be the same.
Personally, I use instant AoE targeting so never see the red circles anyway, but yeah, aside from the red bar under the skill icon, there needs to be more visual feedback about the activation range for these skills.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

It was possible at the beginning as far as i know, however thankts to the obvious possibility to exploit things, it was taken out.

however you are right with the matter of jump skills. They still work “everywhere” while a mesmer for example cant even blink down a rock, just because there is a height difference.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

technically; you can use blink/shadowstep to bridge gaps (go to LA; stand near the armour repair guy then try teleporting up to the banks pier… ledge… thing); but you have to be able to walk there normally (in the same example; if you stand on the small raised ridge on the side of the nearby bridge; it ont teleport you)
- this is particularily useful when you know areas you can use it in (such as the massive ramp in borderland hills)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Suggestions

Mungrul.9358

It was possible at the beginning as far as i know, however thankts to the obvious possibility to exploit things, it was taken out.

however you are right with the matter of jump skills. They still work “everywhere” while a mesmer for example cant even blink down a rock, just because there is a height difference.

Yeah, I was aware when posting this that behaviour was changed because people were using Blink to get into WvW keeps/towers/etc.
But you can’t do that with the other “jump” skills, so maybe ArenaNet should look at getting the engine to treat all of these movement skills the same way?
Maybe Blink should be changed at an engine-level to be an instantaneous jump rather than a teleport?
Does that make sense?

Then again, I’ve often thought that preventing people from using movement skills to get into enemy structures was a bit of an over-reaction on ArenaNet’s behalf.
If this was still possible, it would actually promote active defense of structures rather than the “Fire and Forget” flipping tactics that currently prevail in WvW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

I think crossing gaps should be allowed in PvE because, you know no one will be upset about that and its not a great deal.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Yeah, I was aware when posting this that behaviour was changed because people were using Blink to get into WvW keeps/towers/etc.
But you can’t do that with the other “jump” skills, so maybe ArenaNet should look at getting the engine to treat all of these movement skills the same way?
Maybe Blink should be changed at an engine-level to be an instantaneous jump rather than a teleport?
Does that make sense?

Then again, I’ve often thought that preventing people from using movement skills to get into enemy structures was a bit of an over-reaction on ArenaNet’s behalf.
If this was still possible, it would actually promote active defense of structures rather than the “Fire and Forget” flipping tactics that currently prevail in WvW.

Well, now your just getting to ahead of yourself. The idea is mainly to teleport on that second, it does make sence, just dont think it will be happening since the UI will teleport you the second you press on it, unless if they remake it so it takes time, but that would kinda be boring, and hard to use in battle for eles, (eles use it for the last stone atk).
Second part is to weird. The idea that you and a group of 5-10 can in less than 1 minute get a tower as kittentonemist and just take everything is just……There is so much to say about that-.-…
But, if you do it, everyone else will do it, it will be less of what WvW is really about just sneaking a group up with a mesmer mesmer to portal them all, would be pretty boring in the end, actually after 5 mins, since taking a huge castle like stonemist or Bay, hills etc is alot more fun when you get a challange, instead of just cheating your way throug every guard.
Would also mean that atleast 1 zerg should always be in SM which also would be pretty boring since the whole map can be blue if blue had like 10 people going around at night while the others had 2.

in Suggestions

Mungrul.9358

My point being, if it were possible to do that, it would encourage servers to maintain active player defenses of structures, people who just stay in forts/towers/garrisons in order to defend them from opportunistic Blinkers.
At the moment, zergs just flip these structures then abandon them.
But yeah, it’s kind of off topic here.

As for getting ahead of myself in your first paragraph, I don’t think you understood what I was trying to get across. To the user, the end result of activating Blink would be the same as it ever was, except that now you could cross gaps.
To the engine, it would treat the movement of the player as a near-instant physical move.
It could even be interrupted by impassable skill barriers such as Line of Warding. The Blinking player would not be able to Blink past the line, as it would count as a physical obstruction to a body trying to move through it.

I’d have to test it to be sure, but I’m pretty positive that at the moment, Blink will take the mesmer past otherwise impassable barriers placed by player skills.

That could lead to hilarious moments of blinking mesmers hitting these barriers while trying to blink onto walls, only to be rebuffed by the appropriate skill.
To the observer, it would look like the mesmer appeared in midair and started falling

in Suggestions

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

My point being, if it were possible to do that, it would encourage servers to maintain active player defenses of structures, people who just stay in forts/towers/garrisons in order to defend them from opportunistic Blinkers.
At the moment, zergs just flip these structures then abandon them.
But yeah, it’s kind of off topic here.

As for getting ahead of myself in your first paragraph, I don’t think you understood what I was trying to get across. To the user, the end result of activating Blink would be the same as it ever was, except that now you could cross gaps.
To the engine, it would treat the movement of the player as a near-instant physical move.
It could even be interrupted by impassable skill barriers such as Line of Warding. The Blinking player would not be able to Blink past the line, as it would count as a physical obstruction to a body trying to move through it.

I’d have to test it to be sure, but I’m pretty positive that at the moment, Blink will take the mesmer past otherwise impassable barriers placed by player skills.

That could lead to hilarious moments of blinking mesmers hitting these barriers while trying to blink onto walls, only to be rebuffed by the appropriate skill.
To the observer, it would look like the mesmer appeared in midair and started falling

Yeah it would be great if they could make a UI work so fast, problem would be exploit. By barriers placed by player skill, I guess you mean the guardians? yeah, we can get past them, sometimes blink/teleport does get us over a gap, actualy alot of times. Fractals golem…or w/e its called, you can basecly blink out of the first area even with huge gaps. But improvement should be there.
Your off topic is how we look at it thoug, even if there is 10 people just standing at a keep for 30 mins because a zerg with 50 people is just porting over every wall. Tbh, that would make walls worthless, also keeps or AC etc, every possible group needs a mesmer and the other way around, it would be a mess. Cant at all see how that is a good idea, since there should be 10-20 people there all the time just getting even bored or defending something that is impossible to defend. Normally I see it on both sides, in this off topic thing I seriously cant see anything good happening. If that was a idea, I would almost call that the worst suggestion ever made in this topic o.o…and there have been some pretty bad once…
Thoug I actually want to know, why do you want alot of people so badly to stay back that your ready to almost ruin the whole WvW? I mean, I always try to see myself in both perspectives, and the staying back with the zerg perspective seems pretty boring. If I see myself as a commander leading people to keeps/camps etc, I would still see it as a pretty bad part to let a whole group of people, who could help me to stay back.

(This is if your off topic idea wasnt there, but just tryieng to guess why you want so many people to stay back, even thoug it means removing every wall, since mesmer can portal, and removing every siege, since it will be waste of time, and really not upgrading anything, since it also will be a waste of time/money, it will basecly be a annoying field, where it doesnt matter how much you PM people, if a zerg of 50 people is there, your keep is dead, which will also make it alot more “how many people do the server have”……it will basecly destroy it -.-.)