Bring back the good old Vanquish

in Suggestions

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

Would love to see a Vanquish mode on maps as I really loved this in gw1, also would help in the high end areas for map completion .

Whats everyone’s thought on this?

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Considering GW1 and GW2 are two different game types, how would it be implemented? Mobs spawn constantly, events produce mobs ect.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

Considering GW1 and GW2 are two different game types, how would it be implemented? Mobs spawn constantly, events produce mobs ect.

He means a mode, like the way you select explorable or story when you enter a dungeon.

Magummadweller

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

He means a mode, like the way you select explorable or story when you enter a dungeon.

Yes, I know this.

But in order to achieve it, you’d have to create an instanced version of the map.

In hindsight though, it could work for Dungeons.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I absolutely detested Vanquish in GW1. If they add it here they would need to add markers on your map for all mobs still left.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mira.4906

Mira.4906

The way the maps work Vanquish isn’t practical, especially wouth some of the the champions in orr.

i would suggest that they could do something similar with a Dynamic Event Vanquish where you have to complete every dynamic event in the zone at some point in time to get credit for a vanquish. It could be similar the explorer achievements but would be set up like this:

Queensdale 0/54 Unique Events completed

Guild Leader for [Myth] Darkhaven

in Suggestions

Posted by: enlil.3849

enlil.3849

The way the maps work Vanquish isn’t practical, especially wouth some of the the champions in orr.

i would suggest that they could do something similar with a Dynamic Event Vanquish where you have to complete every dynamic event in the zone at some point in time to get credit for a vanquish. It could be similar the explorer achievements but would be set up like this:

You know what? I’d actually love that. Instead of Vanquish it’s a ‘vanquish EVENTs’ thingy and each event would give unique loot and would be a lot harder. Not sure how they’d do group events but it’d be awesome none-the-less! Great suggestion! I never thought about it that way since I rarely feel like doing events

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

POW! Here you go.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

I’d love to see vanquish mode added. And seen as they can create instanced versions of the maps, where the mobs don’t respawn, it is entirely possible. Does it require some extra work? Yes. But what doesn’t?
No need to limit it to dungeons, and those champions are rarely a problem either. It just requires you to really fight for that vanquish. (Okey, tone them down a bit for vanquish.)

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

I’d love to see vanquish mode added. And seen as they can create instanced versions of the maps, where the mobs don’t respawn, it is entirely possible. Does it require some extra work? Yes. But what doesn’t?

No need to limit it to dungeons, and those champions are rarely a problem either. It just requires you to really fight for that vanquish. (Okey, tone them down a bit for vanquish.)

I disagree with this. Just like Fractals and such, it takes people out of the world.

We need stuff to bring people back into the world to play with other players, not hiding in instances.

However, implemented in Dungeons would encourage players not to go skipping as many mobs as possible.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

I disagree with this. Just like Fractals and such, it takes people out of the world.

Uhm… if ANet wanted everyone on one map doing the same thing the people around them are doing, they wouldn’t be adding any new content to the game.
Sure, during the BWE’s there were a huge amount of people everywhere. (What’d ya expect when ya give HC fans just two days doze at a time?)
And certainly there was the launch tsunami that flooded the servers for a fairly long time, but ANet hadn’t designed the game for that many people to begin with. The way I see it now (running around desolation btw) the amount of people is just about right. If I’m out in the wild, I don’t expect to be running into hundreds of other people anyways.
Spreading people out is good, variety of content is good. Sure, it has side effects, but I can live with those.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

Uhm… if ANet wanted everyone on one map doing the same thing the people around them are doing, they wouldn’t be adding any new content to the game.

At what point did I say everyone should be on one map?

And certainly there was the launch tsunami that flooded the servers for a fairly long time, but ANet hadn’t designed the game for that many people to begin with. The way I see it now (running around desolation btw) the amount of people is just about right. If I’m out in the wild, I don’t expect to be running into hundreds of other people anyways.

They didn’t design the game for that many people? What are you basing this on?

Exactly. It’s just right.

What happens if you go giving players the ability to create their own little instances / party up with 10 others? The world population drops, and those who want to play with 30 – 40 other people taking down a dragon can’t.

If people have got a choice between getting more rewards alone, or playing with others for less rewards, most will go it alone, simple because of the hassle of trying to find a group to join them
It suddenly doesn’t become an MMO anymore, rather a CORPG like GW.

Spreading people out is good, variety of content is good. Sure, it has side effects, but I can live with those.

Variety of content is good. Spreading out is good to an extent.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

Here:

We need stuff to bring people back into the world to play with other players

Since level 80’s (those who vanquish would be aimed to) pretty much play on just a few maps anyways.

If you plaid during BWE’s and prelaunch, it was fairly obvious.
20+ people all trying to deal enough damage on the same regular mob, but half of them can’t hit it more than once and won’t be able to get any xp or loot or renown/DE progress (because they didn’t deal enough damage) in a game where there was supposed to be no competition about the mobs, no kill stealing. Ergo, it wasn’t designed for quite that many people.

What happens if you go giving players the ability to create their own little instances / party up with 10 others? The world population drops, and those who want to play with 30 – 40 other people taking down a dragon can’t.

That happens with every new content. Add a new map? People are divided between the old maps, and the new maps, and “the world population drops.”

If people have got a choice between getting more rewards alone, or playing with others for less rewards, most will go it alone, simple because of the hassle of trying to find a group to join them

obviously Vanquish will be a HM. You can’t just go to a map to vanquish it and instantly be covered in gold. Nobody said you would. In fact, I wouldn’t mind if the only effect of vanquishing was +30% MF or something. That’s not awfully lot.
But I’d much rather do it for a title.

Hmm… so, sequels being similar to originals is a bad thing now? Though I don’t see that happening. And if they start having such problems, just merge the maps for underflows.

(edited by Fred Fargone.3127)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Layka.7465

Layka.7465

I like the idea, I am among those who think that the more you look at GW1 better for GW2.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

Here:

We need stuff to bring people back into the world to play with other players

Since level 80’s (those who vanquish would be aimed to) pretty much play on just a few maps anyways.

When you’re level 80, you have 23 maps you can go back to. That’s not putting everyone on one map.

If you played during BWE’s and prelaunch, it was fairly obvious.

20+ people all trying to deal enough damage on the same regular mob, but half of them can’t hit it more than once and won’t be able to get any xp or loot or renown/DE progress (because they didn’t deal enough damage) in a game where there was supposed to be no competition about the mobs, no kill stealing. Ergo, it wasn’t designed for quite that many people.

Then that’s a problem with the scaling system.

They’d be better off implementing something like the Fractal difficulty level, which adjusts the event depending on the amount of players:

• 1 – 5 – Normal Mob Swarm
  • 6 – 10 – Add a Champion or 2
  • 11+ – Add Siege
    ect.

That happens with every new content. Add a new map? People are divided between the old maps, and the new maps, and “the world population drops.”

Hence me saying we need more stuff to bring people back into the world.

If people have got a choice between getting more rewards alone, or playing with others for less rewards, most will go it alone, simple because of the hassle of trying to find a group to join them.

obviously Vanquish will be a HM. You can’t just go to a map to vanquish it and instantly be covered in gold. Nobody said you would. In fact, I wouldn’t mind if the only effect of vanquishing was +30% MF or something. That’s not awfully lot.
But I’d much rather do it for a title.

If it didn’t provide any sort of advantage, aside from Achievements, fair enough. But you’re more or less guarenteed that if Vanquishing provided any sort of reward advantage, everyone would choose that over playing in the open world.

People are already asking for content to be made solo-able as it is.

Hmm… so, sequels being similar to originals is a bad thing now? Though I don’t see that happening. And if they start having such problems, just merge the maps for underflows.

Before implying that I’ve said it’s a bad thing, I suggest you take a look at some of the suggestions I’ve made:

• Skill Capturing
  • Nic the Traveler replacement
  • Collectors as a source of rare crafting mats
  • Order Ranks, and Area Rep
  • Filling out Event Books

Most things taken from GW1, and adapted for GW2 as solutions to common complaints (low drop rate / empty zones / no progression ect).

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

phabby.8945

Thanks guys for your addd thoughts, I feel that gw1 had some great content that should be added into gw2, don’t get me wrong I love the way the world is set up now running around meeting ppl along the way is just fantastic compared to the closed instance of gw1 world, but unless someone is doing the map completion you are stuck at just doing karma events. try going into cursed shores and doing an out of the way skill point,1) you get your butt hammered along the way there, 2) most of these guys are unkillable without a group.

Would be fun to have the worlds like a dungeon instance kill and clear everything for a said achievement, or the drops are set at a higher level in the loot table, say complete a region receive a precursor if you complete all regions get a Legendary.
This would make something that everyone wants ,made easier to get

Not sure but sounds fun to me

in Suggestions

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Thanks guys for your addd thoughts, I feel that gw1 had some great content that should be added into gw2, don’t get me wrong I love the way the world is set up now running around meeting ppl along the way is just fantastic compared to the closed instance of gw1 world, but unless someone is doing the map completion you are stuck at just doing karma events. try going into cursed shores and doing an out of the way skill point,1) you get your butt hammered along the way there, 2) most of these guys are unkillable without a group.

Would be fun to have the worlds like a dungeon instance kill and clear everything for a said achievement, or the drops are set at a higher level in the loot table, say complete a region receive a precursor if you complete all regions get a Legendary.
This would make something that everyone wants ,made easier to get

Not sure but sounds fun to me

That sounded more like “give me a legendary” …

in Suggestions

phabby.8945

That sounded more like “give me a legendary” …[/quote]

Far from it mate ,I personally don’t care much for shiny shiny things I just enjoy the game but alot of ppl do care and if there is a big incentive more would be enticed into playing a vanquish themed instance,and it would have to be in hardmode as was gw1 VQ runs.

I loved VQ runs in gw1, not only was it great fun to pit your skills against the developers monsters there was alot of strategy involved with some maps to complete the area.You never made that much out of them but it was more then normal and it was Hardmode so even low areas would pose a challenge .

in Suggestions

Fred Fargone.3127

When you’re level 80, you have 23 maps you can go back to. That’s not putting everyone on one map.

Still, it wouldn’t appear people go to lower level maps all that much. I think there are a few threads about that too.

Then that’s a problem with the scaling system.

Which wasn’t designed to handle that many people. Ergo, the game wasn’t designed to handle that many people. And that was just one example. If you were in the BWE’s you’d probably still remember the huge balls of people in the middle of nowhere. That was quite comical.

They’d be better off implementing something like the Fractal difficulty level, which adjusts the event depending on the amount of players:

• 1 – 5 – Normal Mob Swarm
  • 6 – 10 – Add a Champion or 2
  • 11+ – Add Siege
    ect.

Eh, I thought that was already happening? Well, I might be wrong.

Hence me saying we need more stuff to bring people back into the world.

When you say “back into the world” I assume you mean “out of the instances”. Well, there is nothing wrong with people in the open world, but instances are more social in my opinion. In the open world, you sure see a lot more people, there is no denying that, but instances are where ya can make new friends.
Fractals for example require teamwork, which requires communication. Which leads to interaction between the players. Its easy to break the ice in instances where everyone assumes you’re going to talk. Tbh I have socialized with strangers more in instances than in the open world.

If it didn’t provide any sort of advantage, aside from Achievements, fair enough. But you’re more or less guarenteed that if Vanquishing provided any sort of reward advantage, everyone would choose that over playing in the open world.

You remember vanquish from GW1? Most of the time, I plaid in NM because the HM rewards just weren’t good enough for the increased difficulty when playing alone. (A.k.a. I’m lazy, as most people are.)

Before implying that I’ve said it’s a bad thing,

Well, you did make it sound like a bad thing

I suggest you take a look at some of the suggestions I’ve made

Nice that we both enjoy GW1, but that is hardly relevant.