Can we give Thieves Axes Please?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rehk.6574

Rehk.6574

Axes!

I dream my norn thief was a shadowblade!

Maximizing on positional strikes would be awesome. Maybe some side / front / back combos to be executed in a chain so it takes some skill timing it and weaving around just the right way to the enemy.

Attacks would be:

Stealth 1:
Gut : inflicts bleed on the target for X seconds X dmg X duration. and cripples for 1 second.

Attack 1a: Slash:
Attack 1b: Hack: Dmg + vulnerability (2 or 3 stacks) short duration
Attack 1c: Chop: Dmg + weakness (short duration)

2: Cleave: swing both weapons for a frontal 180 degree arc attack.

3: Throw Hatchets: Thief pulls hatchets from his armor and throws a flurry of blades. (600 range) (cripple)

4: Side strike: deals X dmg from any position (low) and deals Y dmg from sides (medium+posion)

5: (instead of cloak and dagger ish thing, give us a mesmer like evade strike)
where it requires a timed block then gives 2-3 seconds of evasion and moderate dmg.

just some thrown together thoughts, obviously others could come up with better but what about the general concept? Dual Axes on Thiefs, or at least a Axe as a MH option like sword.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

1) vulnerability OR weakness, not both.
5) 1 second of evasion, that is all.

However axes serve no purpose a thief would want, they are not precise weapons. Axes are squarely in the “hack’n’slash” style of combat. No precision, just general ideas of targets as precision with such a weapon is nigh impossible, the way they are balanced prevents it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rehk.6574

Rehk.6574

I say Vulnerability and weakness because many classes have 2 effects on thier 1 skill 3 chain.

necro scepter is bleed bleed posion.
thief dagger gains endurance and then posions.
its not too crazy to have 2 small effects.

The idea that axes “arent stealthy weapons” doesn’t matter. We are THIEVES, not rogues or assassins. Thieves could use conceivably any weapon, why not axes?

(edited by Rehk.6574)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Inkubus.7529

Inkubus.7529

The idea that axes “arent stealthy weapons” doesn’t matter. We are THIEVES, not rogues or assassins. Thieves could use conceivably any weapon, why not axes?

Right, we could use thief with staff or scepter + focus. No wait, instead of focus we could give a thief a warhorn and torch! Do you get my point? It is not something thief would normally use. Totally miss the idea of some sneaky guy. Want axe? Roll warrior, ranger (crossest matchup) or necro.

Just got idea of ele and mesmer having axe – absurd!

Inkarius [ele] Inkores [war] Inkratos [ran] Inkariosa [nec] MaINK The Liar [thf] Inklusion [msmr]

in Suggestions

Posted by: UNMdude.5089

UNMdude.5089

Right, we could use thief with staff or scepter + focus. No wait, instead of focus we could give a thief a warhorn and torch! Do you get my point? It is not something thief would normally use. Totally miss the idea of some sneaky guy. Want axe? Roll warrior, ranger (crossest matchup) or necro.

Silly, Elementalists do have axes. They have a flame axe in their skills.

in Suggestions

Inkubus.7529

Silly, Elementalists do have axes. They have a flame axe in their skills.

Yeah, and that is why nobody uses them.
Srsly, no trolling. Check YT and see loads of people don’t actually use conjured weapons on ele. Not a single one and conjured axe/bow/sword/hammer/shield can’t be taken as real weapon. I was thinking “it’s me that play without them” yet I see nobody does except for try as experiment. The real issue with those weapons is they prevent usage of atonement swap and as such makes no sense on a profession that is all about atonement swapping.

Inkarius [ele] Inkores [war] Inkratos [ran] Inkariosa [nec] MaINK The Liar [thf] Inklusion [msmr]

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

If I had to give the thief another weapon, It’d be a rifle. But the thief is fine for now with it’s weapons. They all fit the class fine.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

“I’ll train you in the use of my Axe if you train me in the use of your Pistol”

- Yours truly, Warrior

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

If thieves get axes, Rangers get mainhand daggers and stealth.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

If thieves get axes, Rangers get mainhand daggers and stealth.

No, i want hammer for ranger.

in Suggestions

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

However axes serve no purpose a thief would want, they are not precise weapons. Axes are squarely in the “hack’n’slash” style of combat. No precision, just general ideas of targets as precision with such a weapon is nigh impossible, the way they are balanced prevents it.

I disagree! When execuTORS need to chop someone’s head off, they would preferably aim neatly on the executed’s neck, rather than his back since that could take longer. Chopping off half his head is no good either, as his entire head needs to go.

AXES REQUIRE PRECISION TOO!
But yeah I agree that they wouldn’t fit thieves.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

1) .

Normally I would agree however we are Thieves. Also we have one of our steal skills, give us dual axes and whirl around. I can definitly see this as a viable thief main-off hand weapon but I really want to see dual swords first ^^ (Why do mesmers get dual swords and thief don’t?)

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Oglaf.1074

I disagree! When execuTORS need to chop someone’s head off, they would preferably aim neatly on the executed’s neck, rather than his back since that could take longer. Chopping off half his head is no good either, as his entire head needs to go.

Executions were not performed with precision at all. The executioner’s blade was a big heavy lump of metal that relied on brute force to get the job done. More often than not it required multiple chops.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

TwiceDead.1963

Executions were not performed with precision at all. The executioner’s blade was a big heavy lump of metal that relied on brute force to get the job done. More often than not it required multiple chops.

Multiple chops AT THE SAME SPOT OF THE PREVIOUS CHOP SEVERAL TIMES.

If that’s not precision then I don’t know what is.
You seem to be confusing precision with one shots that get things done in one attempt. You’re wrong. Precision can require multiple attempts. Such as hammering nails into wood. If you don’t hit the nail on the head, it will bend and possibly become useless.

In short: YOU’RE WRONG.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Weird that they don’t have access to maces first really but yeah they did limit many of the classes on things they should have access to. And where are all the on land spear users? what happened to the troy-esc warrior/guardian/ranger type deals? What happened to the two handed hammer wielding engineer? or the dagger wielding mesmers?

It’s just very odd the things that were left out. Isn’t this supposed to be a game of choices?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Suggestions

Oglaf.1074

You seem to be confusing precision with one shots that get things done in one attempt. You’re wrong. Precision can require multiple attempts. Such as hammering nails into wood. If you don’t hit the nail on the head, it will bend and possibly become useless.

Capital letters are cruise control for cool.

Also, you’re wrong. Executions were grizzly and blunt affairs, not precise. There is a reason why the Guillotine was invented.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

TwiceDead.1963

Capital letters are cruise control for cool.

Also, you’re wrong. Executions were grizzly and blunt affairs, not precise. There is a reason why the Guillotine was invented.

Any kind of precision is precision. I didn’t say they were very precise, I said it required precision. Didn’t say it required A LOT of precision.

So no. You’re wrong. Deal with it.

in Suggestions

Oglaf.1074

The very, very basic level of Precision as in actually hitting something, yes.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

“We’re thieves, not rogues or assassins!”

That’s like saying, “We’re nectarines, not oranges or clementines!”

A rogue, I would think, might be able to use axes. Since “rogue” is the broadest term of the 3. Thieves need discretion…things they can hide in their clothes or boots etc., axes just seem odd for a sneak. Assassin…who knows, but dagger is a hands down must for any assassin class(unless modern sin, then sniper rifle).

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Suggestions

Inkubus.7529

(Why do mesmers get dual swords and thief don’t?)

Mesmers represent glamour and noblety. As such they use weapons that noble would put in his hand. It perfectly fits to the noble. Rifle, warhorn and axe have no place in noble’s hand as well as dual pistols – as if those combinations are too primitive for them.

As for thieves, did you notice that thief is the only profession that has skill 3 different when off hand is empty and occupied? Maybe it encourages players to use only one weapon with thief, maybe they want to mimic acrobatic nature of thief having free hand for better balance. Seems logical to me.

Further more, what engineers should say on all this? They got only 2 weapons and shield!

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

As for thieves, did you notice that thief is the only profession that has skill 3 different when off hand is empty and occupied? Maybe it encourages players to use only one weapon with thief, maybe they want to mimic acrobatic nature of thief having free hand for better balance. Seems logical to me.

and did YOU notice that the #3 skill on ANY main hand weapon when using no offhand completely SUX, in any and all situations. For example the pistol #3 with no offhand is basically just a worse version of Unload (p/p #3)

As for enginneer’s they got kits to make up for the limited amount of weapon’s so they are fine on that front (and can even have as much as 35 weapon skills to use in combat if they go all kits in all slots)

(edited by GummiBear.2756)

in Suggestions

Inkubus.7529

and did YOU notice that the #3 skill on ANY main hand weapon when using no offhand completely SUX, in any and all situations. For example the pistol #3 with no offhand is basically just a worse version of Unload (p/p #3)

As for enginneer’s they got kits to make up for the limited amount of weapon’s so they are fine on that front (and can even have as much as 35 weapon skills to use in combat if they go all kits in all slots)

No offense but why rage? First of all, I don’t realize how did you managed to miss my point. (that was not a question). Second, you make it as other profession’s have always better abilities and thieves only the worst.

Also, I don’t realize how it is possible that player who plays thief profession QQ the most about everything? Thief is profession that is easiest of all to pick up and you constantly QQ about this and about that, others have this, we don’t… Seriously, thief players used to faceroll and now they got a bit nerfed to make them use tactics and combinations of abilities and all the sudden we get QQ wall.

Sure, engineer’s have such possibility yet it doesn’t mean it is always good. I rolled eng, played for a while and quit as I realize it requires more effort than I am ready atm. So when I went to SPvP I met only ONCE an engineer that was really good and was able to defeat me. Statistically – it is quite obvious they are difficult class to play. On the other hand, most players roll thief as easiest way to gain score in SPvP.

It is easy to watch other’s how use their skills, but to use them yourself is totally different thing. I leveled ele to 80, warrior to 80, ranger to 80, necromancer to 80, tried mesmer and engineer for a wile and now I am leveling thief – so far easiest profession of all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

One handed axes that can be dual wielded and thrown.

in Suggestions

GummiBear.2756

No offense but why rage? First of all, I don’t realize how did you managed to miss my point. (that was not a question). Second, you make it as other profession’s have always better abilities and thieves only the worst.

Also, I don’t realize how it is possible that player who plays thief profession QQ the most about everything? Thief is profession that is easiest of all to pick up and you constantly QQ about this and about that, others have this, we don’t… Seriously, thief players used to faceroll and now they got a bit nerfed to make them use tactics and combinations of abilities and all the sudden we get QQ wall.

Sure, engineer’s have such possibility yet it doesn’t mean it is always good. I rolled eng, played for a while and quit as I realize it requires more effort than I am ready atm. So when I went to SPvP I met only ONCE an engineer that was really good and was able to defeat me. Statistically – it is quite obvious they are difficult class to play. On the other hand, most players roll thief as easiest way to gain score in SPvP.

It is easy to watch other’s how use their skills, but to use them yourself is totally different thing. I leveled ele to 80, warrior to 80, ranger to 80, necromancer to 80, tried mesmer and engineer for a wile and now I am leveling thief – so far easiest profession of all.

While Yes i have played a thief enough to know the #3 no offhand skills SUX, my main is in fact a mesmer… so maybe don’t jump so much to conclusions?
So no, im not QQ’ing or anything like that (in fact i rarely if ever used the skills that was a bit over the top, when i do play/played my thief), but trying to talk about the #3 no offhand as actually being viable skills is just plain silly, since they don’t even match up to the other #3’s on same weapon let alone justify not using an offhand

(edited by GummiBear.2756)

in Suggestions

Inkubus.7529

While Yes i have played a thief enough to know the #3 no offhand skills SUX, my main is in fact a mesmer… so maybe don’t jump so much to conclusions?
So no, im not QQ’ing or anything like that (in fact i rarely if ever used the skills that was a bit over the top, when i do play/played my thief), but trying to talk about the #3 no offhand as actually being viable skills is just plain silly, since they don’t even match up to the other #3’s on same weapon let alone justify not using an offhand

Still misses my point and yes you are QQ about. Above all, doesn’t justify axe for thief. In fact maybe you are right! Maybe thieves do need axes, and mesmers do need daggers, and elementalists do need weapon swapping, and necros and guardians need dual pistols, warriors need pistols and staff, engineers need swords and axes, rangers need rifles and pistols…

in Suggestions

GummiBear.2756

Still misses my point and yes you are QQ about. Above all, doesn’t justify axe for thief. In fact maybe you are right! Maybe thieves do need axes, and mesmers do need daggers, and elementalists do need weapon swapping, and necros and guardians need dual pistols, warriors need pistols and staff, engineers need swords and axes, rangers need rifles and pistols…

… your post about thief #3 dont evne ahve anything to do with axes for thief, truth be told i dont care much if they get or dont get axes. daggers for memser well mesmer DO need another ranged main hand option other than scepter, so if daggers will fit that that then sure, otherwsie same as for thief axe. ele weapon swap, oh god NO they already got more than enough skills to use in combat…warrior/engi/ranger i ahvent played enough to say…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Seriously,axes on a Thief ? Might aswell give them greatswords and hammers while your at it,hell lets give warrior daggers,lets trade off some stuff.Seriously i dont get how you people even come up with this stuff.

in Suggestions

Inkubus.7529

… your post about thief #3 dont evne ahve anything to do with axes for thief, truth be told i dont care much if they get or dont get axes. daggers for memser well mesmer DO need another ranged main hand option other than scepter, so if daggers will fit that that then sure, otherwsie same as for thief axe. ele weapon swap, oh god NO they already got more than enough skills to use in combat…warrior/engi/ranger i ahvent played enough to say…

Regarding your reaction to ele – same here for thief having axe. Well I did played all except guardian profession. That is the reason why I am against thieves get axes. If thieves get axes, others must get something too.

in Suggestions

GummiBear.2756

but a new weapon is not the same as giving a weapon swap, so sure give ele some new weapon, i dont mind, just no weapon swap, they dont need that

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tekla.2139

Tekla.2139

Yes, and also give em the rifle, so they can “kill shoot” from a 1200 range while in stealth
( sorry culdn’t resist )

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Whats wrong with small one handed axes?