Dont be big brother, be just a big game maker.

in Suggestions

Posted by: wolonggong.3469

wolonggong.3469

My suggestion would be to stop trying to protect us because it is getting to the point where it is greatly interferring with gameplay.

First you wont give us P2P trading because 1 out of 10,000 people may get scammed because they cannot bother to look at either the items or the amount of money in a trade window basically forcing us to only use your trading post. This not only forced us to continually run back to a trader for every single item we wanted…but it opened far more people to being scammed by…also not allowing people to send items in mail with a COD payment option…just because they dont want to have to run back to town and are wanting to trade with someone.

MMOs are supposed to be about VARIETY, not LIMITATIONS…and I sure as heck dont want to have to run to a trader just for one stinking item that I should be able to get right away.

Then you take it upon yourselves to try to stop gold sellers by limiting the amount of money they can either give to the guild bank or send to other players…thinking that somehow if you make people play their accounts to increase the amount of money they can donate/send…it would be OK. Instead it created a BOT FEST for gold sellers to get around.

So now, not only do I get a ton of gold seller spam and a lot of BOTS running around, I cant even give a gold piece to a fellow guild member so he can get guild armor, nor can I aid any friends that are just starting by giving them a leg up

Now…now you are limiting the amount of crafting materials that can either be sent or deposited into guildbanks?!?

What is this going to do other than hurt guilds that have guild crafters?

Sure wish I had known you were going to do this cause then I wouldnt have bothered to train up 3 characters with crafting skills that I am going to be limited with to make items for guildmates

Please stop trying to play big brother and protect us because all you are doing is slapping those of us playing by the rules in the face and limiting our gameplay…im starting to regret buying this game and even spending a few extra bucks to unlock a 6th character slot.

This would be a grade A game, if you would just drop the crazy BS you are doing trying to protect us…and failing at in a big way BTW.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ubung.7423

Ubung.7423

Tbh this reminds me of the whole piracy issue. How far can you go with annoying practices before you start to lose the faith of your paying customers. Its a difficult question as they also need to protect players interests.

In my opinion if you cant send a guild mate a gold due to security limitations then youve gone too far.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

I cant even give a gold piece to a fellow guild member so he can get guild armor, nor can I aid any friends that are just starting by giving them a leg up

Wait, you can’t? How so, I’m pretty sure I sent a couple dozen silver and other items to friends.. is there a limit on how much one can mail or something?

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

Wait, you can’t? How so, I’m pretty sure I sent a couple dozen silver and other items to friends.. is there a limit on how much one can mail or something?

Yeah, I learned it the hard way. I was going to place a gold piece in the Gbank for a friend to get guild armor and hit an “account” limit. you basically get a window telling you that “new” accounts are set to a limit that will increase as you progress. Today, a guildmate was placing crafting material in the Gbank for me to make him items and he hit an account value limit with that.

So…I cant even make him an armor set. Best part, he placed basic mats in first, I told him to take those out and give me the rares instead…and he cant even withdraw them…value goes over the limit.

This was not thought out very well by Anet.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tiennen.6890

tiennen.6890

Yeah, I learned it the hard way. I was going to place a gold piece in the Gbank for a friend to get guild armor and hit an “account” limit. you basically get a window telling you that “new” accounts are set to a limit that will increase as you progress. Today, a guildmate was placing crafting material in the Gbank for me to make him items and he hit an account value limit with that.

So…I cant even make him an armor set. Best part, he placed basic mats in first, I told him to take those out and give me the rares instead…and he cant even withdraw them…value goes over the limit.

This was not thought out very well by Anet.

That just sounds absolutely ridiculous.

+1 OP, i agree.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

ANet, please remove these annoyances now. They don’t do akittenthing to stop bots or gold sellers. ALL THEY DO IS DISRUPT LEGIT PLAYERS. Honestly, developers need to stop and think about these restrictive practices from a player prospective before ever adding them.

Additionally, in what game has these restrictions ever impacted gold sellers? None, why?
They don’t care, in-fact these restrictions empower them, to them it doesn’t matter if there is a restriction on how much they can transfer all they care about is that someone payed them and they have a prospective new account to steal.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tiennen.6890

tiennen.6890

ANet, please remove these annoyances now. They don’t do akittenthing to stop bots or gold sellers. ALL THEY DO IS DISRUPT LEGIT PLAYERS. Honestly, developers need to stop and think about these restrictive practices from a player prospective before ever adding them.

Additionally, in what game has these restrictions ever impacted gold sellers? None, why?
They don’t care, in-fact these restrictions empower them, to them it doesn’t matter if there is a restriction on how much they can transfer all they care about is that someone payed them and they have a prospective new account to steal.

This.

These annoyance do NOTHING to hamper gold sellers/bots. All they do is hamper the legitimate players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

My suggestion would be to stop trying to protect us because it is getting to the point where it is greatly interferring with gameplay.

First you wont give us P2P trading because 1 out of 10,000 people may get scammed because they cannot bother to look at either the items or the amount of money in a trade window basically forcing us to only use your trading post. This not only forced us to continually run back to a trader for every single item we wanted…but it opened far more people to being scammed by…also not allowing people to send items in mail with a COD payment option…just because they dont want to have to run back to town and are wanting to trade with someone.

MMOs are supposed to be about VARIETY, not LIMITATIONS…and I sure as heck dont want to have to run to a trader just for one stinking item that I should be able to get right away.

Then you take it upon yourselves to try to stop gold sellers by limiting the amount of money they can either give to the guild bank or send to other players…thinking that somehow if you make people play their accounts to increase the amount of money they can donate/send…it would be OK. Instead it created a BOT FEST for gold sellers to get around.

So now, not only do I get a ton of gold seller spam and a lot of BOTS running around, I cant even give a gold piece to a fellow guild member so he can get guild armor, nor can I aid any friends that are just starting by giving them a leg up

Now…now you are limiting the amount of crafting materials that can either be sent or deposited into guildbanks?!?

Sure wish I had known you were going to do this cause then I wouldnt have bothered to train up 3 characters with crafting skills that I am going to be limited with to make items for guildmates

Please stop trying to play big brother and protect us because all you are doing is slapping those of us playing by the rules in the face and limiting our gameplay…im starting to regret buying this game and even spending a few extra bucks to unlock a 6th character slot.

This would be a grade A game, if you would just drop the crazy BS you are doing trying to protect us…and failing at in a big way BTW.

spot on, and you didn’t even mention diminishing rewards.

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

Yeah, didnt want to go there because that at least could be defended slightly as keeping loot bots from wrecking the market even more…even though it still punishes ALL players which again…is the wrong thing to do on Anets part.

in Suggestions

Posted by: slurry.5467

slurry.5467

+1 to this, fix this ASAP. The idea behind it was all well and noble, but in practice it just hurts the players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

It’s an issue that exists in countless aspects of society these days. More often than not, law and rule abiding individuals find themselves directly or indirectly screwed over due to the actions of a few.

Of course, steps should be taken to ensure that cheating is dealt with…but there needs to be compromise as well. A lot of people are still settling in and getting used to the game, sweeping changes are going to ruffle many feathers no matter how well intentioned.

(edited by Garenthal.1480)

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

Yeah, didnt want to go there because that at least could be defended slightly as keeping loot bots from wrecking the market even more…even though it still punishes ALL players which again…is the wrong thing to do on Anets part.

You know, I thought about this post after the fact. I’ve been basically playing alone so far. However, one of the things I loved best about GW was having guildies and helping each other. I can’t tell you how much stuff I gave to guildies. It was a ton. Lots was given to me too. We had the time of our lives playing together. We forged close bonds. We all had to move on., but I loved that about GW. Your post reminded me of that. It ’s sad how it all changed.

From what you said, it appears they killed the whole point of having a guild at all. I can’t give my fellow guildies gold? Help them with weapons or armor? They killed the whole experience in my opinion. And you know what? the bots are all still there.

As for limitting rewards for legit players. I’m sorry, I can’t abide by that regardless of the reason. If there’s a bot problem, they need to ban them or find a another fix. This game is too punitive as it is. Gold, XP and Karma are tough enough to come by. Karma in particullar is a pain because so much is needed for exotics.

AND now no one is doing events. Most of the waypoints are blocked. Its a mess. Who can blame them? With no reward its all mindless grind. I feel the same way about level scaling. They scale you way down, then they don’t give you rewards to scale to your actual level. More grind.

Sorry to gripe, but they took what was IMO the best MMO I ever played and turned it into a joke.

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

There is no such thing as black market trades…

Anyway, the crafting material limit didnt start until today. Before that there were 100s of materials deposited into the Gbank.

We did a test, even with those in chat that were having the issue. Asked everyone with the issue to go gain a level or do a personal story and then go back to the bank and see if they could deposit more. Everyone that did it said they were able to deposit a little more after doing so.

So, it would seem, note the word SEEM, as if they applied the money transfer/deposit limit to crafting materials as well.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeffy.3984

Zeffy.3984

Seconding this.

I absolutely love this game, but I’m getting a bit frustrated with all of the annoying restrictions in place. I’m crossing my fingers, hoping they’re temporary, because they really have to find a better way.

Zeffy | Asuran Guardian~

in Suggestions

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

I can’t help but wonder if the guild bank account limit is rank-based.I am a GL, and I almost filled my guilds stash without hitting any limit.

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

I can’t help but wonder if the guild bank account limit is rank-based.I am a GL, and I almost filled my guilds stash without hitting any limit.

The last patch was done 2 days ago 9/18/12. I assume you had a lot of cash in there before then.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

The last patch was done 2 days ago 9/18/12. I assume you had a lot of cash in there before then.

No
it was the first time any of us had used the stash. I was dumping all the cooking items I have collected into the stash.
I think the limits are determined by the amount of stuff you collect (cash/mats). so in theory the only people who would be affected by this are
A) people being fed by a guild
B) people who play the market
C) Gold mules (they can’t just open a new account to use as a mule)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kungkonung.6758

Kungkonung.6758

This all boils down to ANet not knowing how to set up decent security measures, and thus we have thousands of hacked accounts and bots around – resulting in this.

This game has been going downhill ever since it was released. The fact that they don’t even bother to communicate their reasoning behind this to us is troubling to say the least.

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

I am guild leader, I know one person in my guild having this issue is ranked 2nd out of 5 ranks. havent had anyone of lower rank try this yet…hard to ask someone to place items in the bank with a chance they wont be able to withdraw it until they level up. but as I said before, this just popped up today, before that 100s of materials were being deposited/withdrawn.

Here, I have the exact text from the window now from my guildie trying to deposit 58 wool scraps into the Gbank.

“This transfer would exceed the total value of transfers allowed for new accounts. As you continue to play, your account will be allowed to transfer higher values. New account limits are necessary to protect your online experience from fruad and illegal trading. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.”

This guy has all his characters in the guild, one is mid 20s, 3 are over level 10 and one more is near 10…and he started on the day of release so I guess everyone has a “new” account.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This only affects new accounts. You can be understanding of why this system was created and wait until the systems limits you less, with time, you can be an impatient player who can’t wait, or you can be a bot herder wanting to get more profit with their bots.

Whatever you are, it won’t matter, this should not change, as its better than not having it.

But, hey, if you come up with a better system than this one, you can always suggest it!

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

Did you READ what was posted? He started on the DAY of release and even the message states that you will be allowed higher transfer values AS YOU PLAY.

So, this basically says that age of account means nothing, amount of time you play does…more than likely the reason why there are so many dang BOTS in this game…it cant be limited by character levels because if it is that would mean there is a hard cap to the amount you can give to others or to your guild bank…and that would be disasterous.

BTW, as to your snarky comment at the end. Good systems do not punish everyone for the actions of a few….there was less botting in games without this system and limiting how much one can place into a GUILD bank does not stop gold sellers in any way shape or form…your attempt to be a wiseguy failed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

Implement Rift’s Coin Lock system and you can get rid of all the stupid trading limitations.

http://rift.ign.com/articles/news/7423/Anti-Hacking-Measures-Coin-Lock

If Arena Net is too “proud” to implement a superior system like Coin Lock… then… I don’t know what to say other than my confidence in them as a company will plummet.

in Suggestions

MithranArkanere.8957

I think you misunderstood. That’s understandable, as they explained it poorly.
It’s always over time, as long as you play, regardless of how much you play. It would not make sense otherwise, as bots play more. It would not make sense to have it just by time, as bot herders could just buy the accounts and wait.
You have to play, and you have to wait.

Perfect systems punish only those who deserve it.

But Perfect is hard to achieve.

Good, in the other hand, it’s possible.
A good system punishes players as little as possible, while punishing as much as possible the rest.
This system barely affects most of the people. There’s exceptions, of course, but those are not enough to have this system disabled without replacing it with a better one.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

It’s always over time, as long as you play, regardless of how much you play. It would not make sense otherwise, as bots play more. It would not make sense to have it just by time, as bot herders could just buy the accounts and wait.

So, its always over time…but would not make sense to have just by time. Wut?

This system is NOT STOPPING GOLD SELLING. That is the freaking point. No game has ever stopped them but this one is implimenting features to try to stop them, thats failing AND impacting gameplay for those not doing it.

The only way for gold selling to be stopped is for A: there is no MONEY in the game or B: The game company sells game money themselves for such a low amount that no company would make a profit by doing it…thus wrecking the economy.

As for the part where you state it isnt effecting enough players to matter…what a great attitude. It isnt effecting me, so who cares!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kongming.6497

Kongming.6497

I can personally attest to the guild bank material limits. This was something that just popped up today for our guild and found 3 other people from different guilds having the same issue.

This is a GUILD based game, for a limit like this to be placed in game does not make sense even a LITTLE. What does the guild bank have to do with gold selling? If a limit was placed on being able to send gold from one player to another than there is NO NEED to limit placing money in or taking money out of the guild bank.

If there is some kind of paranoid fear that Gbanks were going to be used to filter gold seller money, place the limit on the amount of time a guild exists and how long a person is a member.

This way gold sellers cant create a guild, place all their gold in the Gbank and just invite their buyers to the guild so they can withdraw, and then boot them.

PROBLEM SOVLED now please remove the limits from Gbanks so my crafter becomes useful to some of my friends again.

in Suggestions

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

This system is NOT STOPPING GOLD SELLING. That is the freaking point. No game has ever stopped them but this one is implimenting features to try to stop them, thats failing AND impacting gameplay for those not doing it.[…]

The thing is, most gold spammers are not gold sellers.
They are just scammers that will ask players for their account info (and now also mail info) with the excuse of them needing that to “login and give you the gold”. And then they steal the account, and use it for botting and more spamming. So they take both your money for the “service” and your account.

You may not believe it, but there’s people dumb enough to fall for that, and that’s why they keep spamming.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

This all boils down to ANet not knowing how to set up decent security measures, and thus we have thousands of hacked accounts and bots around – resulting in this.

This game has been going downhill ever since it was released. The fact that they don’t even bother to communicate their reasoning behind this to us is troubling to say the least.

No i doubt that is true, it all boils down to people being somewhat ‘dumb’ to not get a decent firewall/virusscanner/malware scanner on their computer and use it regulary. They rather spend money on other things, realy $60 a year gives your computer a very decent protection against all sorts of key-loggers and other hacking activities.

Also, having one email account and everything running the same password is another thing. There are still large files of emails-password combos cycling around that have been gathered when various breaches were made (some) year(s) ago. It may be hit and miss, but as long as people keep using the same email and the same password for everything, well… no matter how good your game-software is protected, you can’t protect against the right info being used. Heck the IP/Location logging that they use atleast gives some indication back to the user, but if your email is using the same password, well then it’s obvious you already gave permission to log on, and the email has been deleted…

===
In regards to communications about these issues, YES i fully agree with you! Seeing various of these things seem to be implemented fairly recently (or maybe they have always been there and people are just now running into them). It’s adament that some of them get explained, and that feedback is used to tweak these measures to a level where they still protect the player, but prohibit large account clearing actions, or guildbank robbery…

Problem may be that it seems (on numerous issues) the pitchforks have been picked up and the torches lit. And saying anything about it may only fuel the (maybe misplaced) rage by sounding petronising. Then again, saying nothing doesn’t make the issue go away … Communication is a two way street, and if i were to met somebody that started ranting about something they didn’t agree with, i too would largely ignore them and put my effort to those people that keep some cool and reason. I’m not pointing fingers nor am i accusing anyone, but it just strikes me when i read a lot of these threads. Even I am guilty of these things at times, gaming is emotion, and those that use the forum are usually heavily involved in the game, and post their opinions (emotions) because they care…

It may be better though to approach these things from a constructive point of view, and perhaps ask questions in regards to the why. Instead of throwing off a rant, and wondering why nobody is responding, i am sure that if I came ranting at your front door, about your garden, you too would just slam the door in my face… Not saying that that is what Anet is doing, but they are put in a catch 22 here…

Still though, communication is clarification and its the best thing to do, if one doesn’t take critisism seriously, or can’t explain ones reasons and perhaps have to accept to be wrong. Well then how can you grow… Nobody is always right, we are humans, we are like Asura, prone to failure and mistake…

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

A good system punishes players as little as possible, while punishing as much as possible the rest.
This system barely affects most of the people. There’s exceptions, of course, but those are not enough to have this system disabled without replacing it with a better one.

Good systems do not punish people who are doing what they are supposed to do and follow the rules. Bad systems do that. This is a bad system. One of many in GW2. It needs to be scrapped and a replaced.

As for the system not affecting most players: If you are in a guild and are serious about growing your guild, this affects you. This is after all GUILD wars 2. This is suposed to be centeral to the experience.

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

Still though, communication is clarification and its the best thing to do, if one doesn’t take critisism seriously, or can’t explain ones reasons and perhaps have to accept to be wrong. Well then how can you grow… Nobody is always right, we are humans, we are like Asura, prone to failure and mistake…

Are you suggesting that this poster was ranting or abusive in his claims? What he said was accurate. He wasn’t abusive about it. His points needed to be made. I for one am thankful to him for making the thread.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

@SHM , no in that quote i was saying that Anet should communicate about these measures and explain them. In my post as a whole though i advocated to try and offer constructive critisism more than just saying ‘this and this’ is not like an adorable kitten… I am not pointing fingers with that, as everybody themselves probably knows whether they used a nice way or a negative way to adress certain issues…

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

@Arghore, fair enough. Of course as a general rule you are right with that. Calmly making you point with respect is the best way to be heard.

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

The thing is, most gold spammers are not gold sellers.
They are just scammers that will ask players for their account info (and now also mail info) with the excuse of them needing that to “login and give you the gold”. And then they steal the account, and use it for botting and more spamming. So they take both your money for the “service” and your account.

You may not believe it, but there’s people dumb enough to fall for that, and that’s why they keep spamming.

No.

Not to support those god aweful companies in any way, but what you just said is flat our wrong. Some of those companies have been around for years…

But let me use your argument against you…if they are scams that dont actually give out gold, but are used to steal accounts…then there really is NO need at all for Anet to limit accounts the way they are when it comes to sending/donating money or crafting materials…

Because, according to you…there are few real gold sellers selling gold.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Spectra.9487

Spectra.9487

Playing big brother is a thing of balance. The economy is a delicate thing in mmo’s and there need to be boundaries and enforcement in place to keep it in good shape. Just look at what bots did to d2 and d3. d3 was destroyed within a week in regard to gold inflation, due to massive botting and exploiting. And I don’t believe that gold spammers are just scammers….lol. The number of bots farming in this game is huge. I see so many every day while playing, once I knew what to look for…. I would really like to see ArenaNet take faster action on them. They get to farm for days and weeks before any action is likely taken, if any.

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

The economy is a delicate thing in mmo’s and there need to be boundaries and enforcement in place to keep it in good shape.

And seeing the state of the game, their boundaries and enforcement has failed…could be the reason why other games chose not to go this route, because it made no sense at all that it would stop or slow them down.

All these limits do is hurt every single player in the game. It would be like not having a chat because chat could be used by gold sellers to advertise…hey, that might actually work…sure would be better than no P2P trading, no CoD in mail and limiting money you can give to your own guildmates!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

ANet needs to start being a lot smarter in how it is going to deal with community issues. Posting on Twitter (about a major outage resulting in a rollback for instance) ain’t cutting it.

They need what Trion has in regards to Customer focus. The OP did us all a service by posting his issue here, hopefully ANet will respond.

in Suggestions

wolonggong.3469

The OP did us all a service by posting his issue here, hopefully ANet will respond.

Thank you, but odds of an Anet response is low now…they are starting to look more and more like another company that released an MMO late last year that suddenly went F2P…and most former players said that most of what the game was missing were things that could have been implimented easily if only the company actually took the time to listen.

in Suggestions

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

But let me use your argument against you…if they are scams that dont actually give out gold, but are used to steal accounts…then there really is NO need at all for Anet to limit accounts the way they are when it comes to sending/donating money or crafting materials…

Because, according to you…there are few real gold sellers selling gold.

They also send all the money those accounts had into their own selling accounts. To make a few actual sales, and look legitimate. People is more likely to buy if they hear from someone else that it worked. Getting some extra bucks in the process.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aria.4817

Aria.4817

I will take this inconvenience gladly if it has some effect on the gold sellers/buyers. As I see it its not ArenaNet that’s ruining the game for people, its the idiots that buy and sell the gold bot and what ever other silly things they do now!

Personally think they need to take a harder look at the players and start perma ban any who buy gold, exploit etc.
Removing most of the demand would go long way in reducing the number of gold sellers, think most mmos tend to focus more on the seller less on the buyer and that needs to change.

Aria Treedove (SDL)
Darkhaven NA Server
(semi noob wvw)

in Suggestions

Posted by: geets.9035

geets.9035

You forgot to add they have also apparently limited the amount of loot you can drop over time and diminish the experience/karma/copper you receive after completing just a couple or few DEs..

I agree completely that GW2 was an incredible and bold game but it appears anet wasnt ready to put on the big boy pants when it comes to running the game right..