Drasticly reduce karma prices on exotics

in Suggestions

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Before you jump on me for suggesting this, hear me out.

Firstly, Skin Items like legendary weapons are fine to remain as is. The hardcore need something to go after. I totally understand and respect that. exotics are different. There’s a stat advantage. That puts it in another ball park.

The karma grind is simply too high. I farmed a full set of exotoc armor from roughly level 70 all theway to level 80 and 50 levels beyond. Working for it is one thing. having it force that type of grind is something else entirely. ( My set cost 252,000 karma to finish.) I’m not hardcore enough to grind for skins, but for stats I would. (and did)

Why would it be beneficial to reduce the cost?

It will spread people out on the De’s and the map: People are going to maps and specific DE’s to farm. You go to some events and maps and they are almost empty. This makes the whole DE system not work. It also inhibits map exploration. Its not fun to be on maps and in DE’s alone. The game was fun again when I stopped having to prepetually farm to finish my set. Wasn’t that what was intended? Non grindy exploration where a character benefits no matter what level area they are in?

Your thoughts?

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

12 views and I haven’t been lynched yet. At least I didn’t greatly offend anyone yet. It’s still early though. :P

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alviss.1256

Alviss.1256

i haven’t farmed that much, so not really certain what the average rate of gaining karma could be. but with that said, i know i only have 28,000 karma on my lvl 80 warrior, and the gear i’ve seen seems to be priced at 48kish

… does seem pretty impossible for me to obtain given my available play time

in Suggestions

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

They should be reduced to 23,000 karma a piece. 43,000 is ridculous especially when you only get 400 karma per DE in Orr.

People just had to exploit the cultural armor didn’t they…. >:(

in Suggestions

Posted by: dkabib.5143

dkabib.5143

The prices are hurting casual gamers.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I have 2 pieces I got for 84k, I got it for my alt and realized he could not use it.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

They should be reduced to 23,000 karma a piece. 43,000 is ridculous especially when you only get 400 karma per DE in Orr.

People just had to exploit the cultural armor didn’t they…. >:(

I honestly think 12,000 a piece (x 6 pieces = 72,000) would still make people work for it, but take it out of the realm or the ridiculous.

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

I have 2 pieces I got for 84k, I got it for my alt and realized he could not use it.

Ouch!

in Suggestions

Posted by: helmeo.3918

helmeo.3918

it is expensive but i don’t see the problem with it, after all you can get exotic easily on the trading post, 2 to 3 gold a piece, or you can craft them, and they are comparable if not better than the karma gears. The only reason to get karma gear is for the look and/or showing off.

in Suggestions

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

it is expensive but i don’t see the problem with it, after all you can get exotic easily on the trading post, 2 to 3 gold a piece, or you can craft them, and they are comparable if not better than the karma gears. The only reason to get karma gear is for the look and/or showing off.

On average it takes 100 DE’s (without boost) to buy 1 piece of Karma gear.

Karma gear is actually more time consuming than dungeon gear.

in Suggestions

helmeo.3918

well, i guess what i’m trying to say is that you don’t NEED karma and/or dungeon gear to be effective, i mean for crying out loud i’m wearing mostly green/yellow stuff, and only have one piece of armor and weapon that is exotic, and i am still able to be effective in Orr.

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

I do see what you are saying. However, That is still kind of expensive gold wise for a lot of people. It would cause a gold farm which I think hurts the game. Plus, I do want something to do with my karma. I’m not talking about giving it away for free either. Thanks for the reply. I do understand your point of view too.

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

On average it takes 100 DE’s (without boost) to buy 1 piece of Karma gear.

Karma gear is actually more time consuming than dungeon gear.

Agreed, and I can see why dungeon gear should be harder to get . It gives the hardcore something to strive for. The game should be fun for everyone.

(edited by SHM.7628)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kirito.4158

Kirito.4158

it doesn’t take that long to get 42k karma….

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

Assuming you get steady 333 karma (a lot of Karma) an event you would need to do over 126 events for one piece of armor. Their are 6 pieces of armor in a set . 126 × 6 = 756 events.

Now say each event was only 5 minutes long ( real short event) 756 x5 min = 3,780 minutes for a set.

That is a grand total of 63 hours of straight event time. That doesn’t allow for any time between events. Nor does it factor in Diminishing reards. Nor does it allow you to do ANYTHING else.

If you play one hour a day ths would take you well over 2 months. How is that not a long time for one set of armor?

Honestly, this whole example has been very generous with the numbers, because diminishing rewards has at times kicked in on my first event. A lot of events don’t come near 333 karma. Pretty much you’d have to do back to back events in one place.

If you were just playing rather than farming this could take you a year to get a set.

(edited by SHM.7628)

in Suggestions

helmeo.3918

Assuming you get steady 333 karma (a lot of Karma) an event you would need to do over 126 events for one piece of armor. Their are 6 pieces of armor in a set . 126 × 6 = 756 events.

Now say each event was only 5 minutes long 756 x5 min = 3,780 minutes for a set.

That is a grand total of 63 hours of straight event time. That doesn’t allow for any time between events. Nor does it factor in Diminishing reards. Nor doe it allow you to do ANYTHING else.

If you play one hour a day ths would take you well over 2 months. How is that not a long time for one set of armor?

Honestly, this whole example has been very generous with the numbers, because diminishing rewards has at times kicked in on my first event. A lot of events don’t come near 333 karma.

If you were just playing rather than farming this could take you a year to get a set.

you can get 500+ karma with karma boosts. Think about it this way, how long does it take to get a set of top tier armor in other MMOs? probably well over 2 months if you only play an hour a day.

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

Now say each event was only 5 minutes long 756 x5 min = 3,780 minutes for a set.

That is a grand total of 63 hours of straight event time. That doesn’t allow for any time between events. Nor does it factor in Diminishing reards. Nor doe it allow you to do ANYTHING else.

Honestly, this whole example has been very generous with the numbers, because diminishing rewards has at times kicked in on my first event. A lot of events don’t come near 333 karma.

you can get 500+ karma with karma boosts. Think about it this way, how long does it take to get a set of top tier armor in other MMOs? probably well over 2 months if you only play an hour a day.

I am not talking about the elite of the elite armor. I am talking about a max set of armor. I am not talking about dungeon armor.I am not talking about elite skin armor.

How long does it take me to buy a set of max stat armor in an MMO? Nowhere near that long. I could get it in one day of play in GW1.

in Suggestions

helmeo.3918

I am not talking about the elite of the elite armor. I am talking about a max set of armor. I am not talking about dungeon armor.I am not talking about elite skin armor.

How long does it take me to buy a set of max stat armor in an MMO? Nowhere near that long. I could get it in one day of play in GW1.

i thought the karma armor is considered “elite” armor? i’m not sure on that one though(perhaps i’m crazy, too much GW2 does that to you)….. i mean you can get a set of max stat armor in a day too off the TP…….

(edited by helmeo.3918)

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

i thought the karma armor is considered “elite” armor? i’m not sure on that one though(perhaps i’m crazy, too much GW2 does that to you)….. i mean you can get a set of max stat armor in a day too off the TP…….

LOL, I hear ya bro. I think you can probably get a full set from TP for about 2-3 gold a piece. say 12-18 gold a set. You are probably way more hardcore than I am (I’m a casual noob :P ) That would actually take me quite a while to attain.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kirito.4158

Kirito.4158

i play like 4-8 hours a day =/ an hr a day is no time to do anything haha

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

I spent a day in WvW and made 40k karma. Also do you realize that stat wise, the Karma gear and gear you craft is the exact same thing? The only thing you are going for is the skin.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

42.000 Karma sounds like a lot when you’ve just hit 80.

But once you start exploring the world, dipping into WvW etc. Karma just keeps coming. Almost everything is rewarded with Karma in GW2. (Except sPvP and Heart Quests)

A single…30 minute event chain in Orr can leave you with a good 1000 Karma.

My advice is DON’T TRY TO ACTIVELY FARM KARMA. Just play the game naturally and you’ll be surprised by how fast it comes in.

Also bear in mind…this game isn’t even a month old an you’re already after the best gear in game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bravix.3497

Bravix.3497

You don’t need to buy them with karma. You can buy/make a exotic armor set rather cheaply. I think your order (vigil, etc). sells exotic armor as well.

in Suggestions

SHM.7628

Also bear in mind…this game isn’t even a month old an you’re already after the best gear in game.

I don’t think I went after the best gear in the game. I got a set of Grenth’s armor. Admittedly, it does look nice. Especiallly when I used a decent rare dye on it. (I used antique bronze on the entire set.) A lot of the colors are too cartoony for a charr warrior in my opinion, but I digress. I don’t think this is the GW2 equivilant of FOW armor. The dungeon gear and the T3 racial gear seems to be the elite stuff.

With that said, I think I gave some really decent reasons why the price is too high. I’m seeing clusters of peoples selectively farming certain events. Meanwhile, much of the entire map remains empty.

On a side note, the whole Karma system needs tweeking. Karma should be distributed more evenly. If I do a 20 minute event I get the same as some 5 minute events. Also I get more Karma in the higher level areas. This is going to cluster people rather than encourage exploration.

*edited for spelling

(edited by SHM.7628)

in Suggestions

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I agree with OP, prices should definitely come down, at least by half(ish). Those saying we should use the karma boosters, they are cash shop items they are not supposed to be required. Also, the system does need a tweek like SHM says. The events should give more to a higher level character when that character is doing lower level events (not necessarily that much more, but it shouldn’t also be the same as the amount the actual level character gets), that way there is more incentive to go do lower level content again.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shanks.5701

Shanks.5701

Exotics ARE top end gear. That’s how this game works. You are getting Vanilla WoW Equiv of Epic lewts. They just give you TONS of ways to do it in this game!

Don’t wanna karma grind? buy it! Don’t wanna pay for it? Craft it!

Come on now… the game has been out a month and YES you are going for TOP TIER gear.

What you are saying is “I don’t want to work for it I want to have the best stuff in the game in one month why can’t I!? That guy over there that has put ALL his free time into the game has it

It is TOP tier gear. Work for it amass it slowly. You will get it eventually savor each purchase. Who cares if people have better stuff guess what? There is no way to tell! No one can inspect you, and the stat increase while there is one it is not INSANE it is just a step up.

People are putting WAY to much stock into the power of exotics because they don’t understand the game.

AGAIN if you are in all greens and yellows maybe even a few blues you will still do decently…. it does not make content unavailable like in other MMOs.

Exotic is some of the best gear in the game and the only thing better would be legendary which have the SAME STATS just an extra effect on them, also i don’t even think there IS legendary armor yet…..