Dungeon Token Fix - Daily Achievement

in Suggestions

Posted by: SeedsOfYggdrasil.6315

SeedsOfYggdrasil.6315

Warning: TWO POSTS! Skim to bold text if you want to cut to the chase. Also, this idea is NOT intended to be added to the current “Daily Achievement” for your character, but rather it’s own “daily achievement” entirely.

I was talking with some of my guild-mates the other day on the topic of dungeons, and specifically the special skinned armors that come through them. As we were talking, I had what I thought was a BRILLIANT idea that would go a long way towards improving the experience of completing dungeons for tokens.

Here’s the meat of the idea: The first time you complete an explorable mission each day, you will be rewarded with bonus tokens from the dungeon you have completed. After the first run each day, the system defaults to the current amount of token drops in the game.

It sounds like such a small fix, but I think it has the potential to make a huge positive impact on the game. Here’s why:

At the moment, there is a very vocal portion of the game population who are upset with dungeon rewards. Most players say that dungeon rewards are too slow, and that you have to make unrealistic amounts of sacrifices to receive what are more-or-less special looking pieces of armor. At the moment, it takes about 60-72 runs through dungeons to receive a full set of armor, which could very well translate into 60-72 hours of playtime, without considering speed-runs and exploits. These players believe this is too much.

On the other hand, there are many players who believe that those who put the effort into receiving these armors deserve them, and that there should be a significant time investment involved as opposed to more instant gratification. This is a perfectly valid response, because it rewards players who make commitments, and can be used as a trophy to show how much you invested in your character.

I personally agree with both sides of this argument. Dungeon armors should be a long term investment you make with your character, but you shouldn’t be forced to perform a repetitive action in excess to receive gratification. To this extent, a daily bonus for completing a dungeon would, hopefully, help bridge this gap. I’ll detail why in the following post.

(edited by Moderator)

in Suggestions

SeedsOfYggdrasil.6315

So, why is this idea good?

1. It has the potential to reduce the total number of runs that you must perform to complete a dungeon. This is great because not only would it make dungeons less repetitive, but it would also do a lot to fix the perceived grind involved in obtaining this armor.

2. It would add incentives to reduce farming of dungeons, while not making farming less effective. This idea would make farming dungeons less efficient than, lets say hypothetically, doing one dungeon a day. This would free up time for your character to do other activities, like world versus world or PvP. However, by not punishing farmers, this also allows those who want more instant gratification at a sloppier time-to-cost ratio to continue doing what they are doing.

3. It would make dungeons more of a long term investment, and hopefully keep players participating in dungeons longer. If we were to increase the token drops from dungeons by 200%, then players would “finish” dungeons quicker than if the drops were smaller. This would likely mean that dungeons would be obsolete in half the time, because there would be no reason to perform the explorable mode anymore. If we implemented a system that rewards doing ONE dungeon a day, without punishing multiple completes, players would hopefully spread their time in explorable dungeons over multiple days, rather than multiple times over small periods. If this would work as planned, it would be great towards making sure dungeons stayed populated, even if just at certain times of the day.

4. The non-skinned non-80 dungeon armors would be affordable if you wanted a quick boost. This is something many players complain about, because there is little to no point in listing those. However, with this addition, you could complete a dungeon and patch up your armor with minimal effort, if you so desired.

These aren’t the only good things about this system, but I’m sure there are more positive impacts this could add to the game.

Please offer positive and negative feedback, and help address any issues that I might have missed!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Revenge.3892

Revenge.3892

Great idea, should have been there from the start. Same incentive as daily achieves and daily quests (from other MMO’s like WoW). Invest a little time every day and you will overall get faster exp/tokens etc.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yvilthi.5413

Yvilthi.5413

…….

Here’s the meat of the idea: The first time you complete an explorable mission each day, you will be rewarded with bonus tokens from the dungeon you have completed. After the first run each day, the system defaults to the current amount of token drops in the game.
………….

You already get more tokens for the first completed explorable path each day :S
Last boss gives 15 tokens, 2nd time u run the same path he only gives 5.
If u run another path of the same dungeon you get 15 again at the last boss and the 2nd run of that path only 5 … So achievement is not nessecary i.m.h.o.

What i do like to see is a chance (if even small) for exotics to drop.
Gear drops are complete b.s. right now

Yvilthi lvl 80 human Ranger
Yv Ilthi lvl 80 human Mesmer

(edited by Yvilthi.5413)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeusmeister.5130

Zeusmeister.5130

…….

………….

You already get more tokens for the first completed explorable path each day :S
Last boss gives 15 tokens, 2nd time u run the same path he only gives 5.
If u run another path of the same dungeon you get 15 again at the last boss and the 2nd run of that path only 5 … So achievement is not nessecary i.m.h.o.

What i do like to see is a chance (if even small) for exotics to drop.
Gear drops are complete b.s. right now

^ What he said.

in Suggestions

SeedsOfYggdrasil.6315

Well, the idea would then be to increase this amount. 10 tokens is almost meaningless for a difference.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yvilthi.5413

Yvilthi.5413

Well, the idea would then be to increase this amount. 10 tokens is almost meaningless for a difference.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Tokens-Account-Bound-please/first

See the posts from Jon Peters

Yvilthi lvl 80 human Ranger
Yv Ilthi lvl 80 human Mesmer