GW2 should steal artifacts from Rift

in Suggestions

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

Artifacts are one of the coolest things in Rift.

How artifacts work is they are zone specific but randomly generated. They lay around a zone or dropped by a boss or event. And they complete a collection that tells a story or lore of the world.

Like for example, a major event has occurred in the past and remnants of that event are scattered about the zone randomly. So as you work through your way through a zone you find or hunt these remnants. And as you piece them together they give you deeper knowledge of said event.

And when you complete a collection, you are given a token to buy cosmetic stuff.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

that does indeed sound like a kitten good idea. It fleshes out areas nicely and gives something new for people to sink their teeth into. They could even tie in an achivement for finding em all “Lorekeeper” or some such.

Wonderful idea

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Yeah the artifacts in rift is a really nice way to tell some background story, or just some fun “fluff” story etc about the area you are in

in Suggestions

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

+1 from me, mind you if they did implement it I can already see the massive number of troll posts (i.e. GW2 is ripping of Rift), but besides that I was thinking that GW2 needed a bit of a lore bump and this seems like a good enough way.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I never played Rift, but there must be something to these “artifact” things because this is actually not the first topic about this particular feature. The “scavenger hunt” aspect of it sounds enjoyable enough, and in keeping with GW2’s emphasis on exploration and discovery. I’m sure ArenaNet could put their own spin on this concept and end up with something very enjoyable.

I can’t say I’m in love with the “randomly generated” aspect of it, though. These zones are already huge, and if there’s no rhyme or reason to where a given piece might appear — or even if it’s there at all — it’s going to turn off a lot of people. Who wants to waste a lot of time running around a zone, just hoping the RNG gods have blessed them today? But, maybe I’m not familiar enough with the concept and it’s not as bad as I imagine…?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

could tie in extremely well with DE’s though i feel

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

I never played Rift, but there must be something to these “artifact” things because this is actually not the first topic about this particular feature. The “scavenger hunt” aspect of it sounds enjoyable enough, and in keeping with GW2’s emphasis on exploration and discovery. I’m sure ArenaNet could put their own spin on this concept and end up with something very enjoyable.

I can’t say I’m in love with the “randomly generated” aspect of it, though. These zones are already huge, and if there’s no rhyme or reason to where a given piece might appear — or even if it’s there at all — it’s going to turn off a lot of people. Who wants to waste a lot of time running around a zone, just hoping the RNG gods have blessed them today? But, maybe I’m not familiar enough with the concept and it’s not as bad as I imagine…?

If i remember right (quite long since i played rift) the artifact location were somewhat static, but the actual artifact you got was random

in Suggestions

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

If i remember right (quite long since i played rift) the artifact location were somewhat static, but the actual artifact you got was random

They aren’t static locations. They are more localized to an area.

In GW2 terms you;d find artifacts about the Ascalon Wall around the wall, not around another part of the zone.

in Suggestions

Fyrebrand.4859

In GW2 terms you;d find artifacts about the Ascalon Wall around the wall, not around another part of the zone.

Ah! Okay, so maybe if you went out to the Ascalon Wall, you’re guaranteed that it’s somewhere in the vicinity, but there could be a number of specific spots it could be hidden. That could be pretty cool — like a jumping puzzle, but instead it’s a “finding puzzle.” This game as all kinds of nooks and crannies where secret things could be wedged in. I’m on board.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Boinmich.4950

Boinmich.4950

I agree. Hopefully, adding something to collect in lower level zones would also lead to more higher level players spending time in lower level zones, rather than simply hanging about LA looking for groups.

Also, there is another topic thread on this.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Artifact-Collections-or-SHINIES/first#post1145564

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Some Artifacts could be also be pieces of lore from GW. The Artifacts would be so in the form of book pages. Finding all the Artifact pages in the book would be an attachment that allow you to read the whole lore book.

The pages of the mad king book could have worked like this if it was read-able.

(edited by Onshidesigns.1069)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

the rifts themselves are an awesome mechanic as well.. its the combat system of rift which just sucks :/ sadly

in Suggestions

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Even though ArenaNet wants to be unique, I think they are trying too hard with it. This idea sounds really interesting, so I think this is something to go for.

in Suggestions

Fyrebrand.4859

Some Artifacts could be also be pieces of lore from GW. The Artifacts would be so in the form of book pages. Finding all the Artifact pages in the book would be an attachment that allow you to read the whole lore book.

This is how I’m imagining it:

You go to your Hero panel, and click a tab called “Artifacts”. You have a list of all the zones in the game, and selecting a given zone displays its respective “page” or collection of total artifacts (probably 8 for each zone, on average?), represented by graphical icons.

If you haven’t found a particular artifact yet, the icon will be in black-and-white, or a silhouette, but you’ll be able to see the name of it (which also serves as a hint as to the artifact’s location). For example, one of the easiest ones in Queensdale might be “Moa’s Feather.” The player figures out the hint, heads over to the Moa ranch on the west side of the zone, and finds the feather. Once you obtain it, the icon for “Moa’s Feather” on the Queensdale page is in color, and displays a short passage about the extended lore or history of the zone (maybe in the form of journal entries or excerpts from textbooks, written by figures from Tyrian history or modern-day NPCs). The hints will vary in difficulty, with each zone having some that are fairly obvious and others that really require attention to detail or in-depth exploration.

In addition to the collections for each geographical zone and major city, there could be other categories that are extra challenging:
Global: You aren’t told what zone each artifact is in — just the name of the item.
Autographs: A guessing game where you must collect the autographs of certain NPC characters across Tyria, but each slot has a specific corresponding NPC associated with it. You don’t get a name, but you get a vague description of their personality, profession, or situation. Speaking to the correct NPC will score you the autograph, though you must have their corresponding space “active” or “highlighted” at the time, for it to count (so it doesn’t interfere with normal NPC dialogue).
Riddles: Like the Global category, these could be anywhere in the world — but you don’t know the artifact you’re looking for. Instead, your only hint is a riddle that hints at a location somewhere in the game (I guess this really is just like the Mad King’s riddles, heh heh).

Not sure what the rewards should be, if any, for completing each zone. I think a title of some sort is in order, at least, for completing every category in the entire Artifacts collection.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Artifacts could also be like a gathering node. Except you only see the artifact and it disappears once you gathered it.

Their would be more artifact nodes then say mineral nodes. But only a selected number will be available to gather from. Artifact node location change once a week or so and the type of artifacts within them.

Artifact could also work like dyes. They are a item that can be sold on the TP. But double clicking on them will apply it to your artifact attachments.

Artifact could also different levels of rarity like armor.

Completing artifact attachments should come with a heavy reward. “Ex: a item to help you get a legendary faster”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Spades.2603

Spades.2603

Going to pump some life into this old post because i would like to see this happen in the game more then anything. >.<

Sooo much time and energy that when in to every inch of designing Tyria. Down to the specific unique details of every tree, house, rubble, ruin, and building in each zone. Its all so beautiful. And NEEDS to be seen by players more then once during map completion imo.

I explore and find hidden places all the time and think “hey this is soo cool” or “wow so beautifully done” and I think, “How often is this even seen? It deserves to be noticed!”

And artifact exploration and collection, how they did it in Rift or similar, would be a great way to encourage ppl to go back out there and see the grandeur and beauty of it all once more.

With all the lore and story that GW had, I rly couldn’t imagine a better way to tie the past and present together.