Get this stuff off my screen! (UI Bloat)

in Suggestions

Posted by: UndeadRufus.6832

UndeadRufus.6832

I generally don’t mind the Guild Wars 2 interface, even though I sorely miss the drag-and-drop customization of the original Guild Wars. However, the new Daily section of the “quest log” has become the proverbial last straw. I’ve tolerated it for a while, but I’m complaining now. Even when I minimize it, there are some areas on some maps (such as regions where multiple events can be active at once) where the sheer volume of crap spilling down the right side of my screen is utterly distracting. I do not like it, and I want it gone.

For that matter, I would prefer to see the entire quest/event log reworked into a more traditional journal-type feature that I can open and close at will, or at least a GW1-style dock-able window that I’m not forced to look at. Sure, give me the audio cue whenever I’m within range of an event. Even a subtle text notification that fades wouldn’t be so bad. If I’m interested, I’m capable of opening a journal, or looking at the map/minimap, and going there of my own accord. I do not need NPC voices blaring through my speakers even though they’re dozens of meters away, and I do not need text spilling down the side of the screen. I also don’t need a constant reminder about the status of my Daily or Monthly achievements, because I simply do not care about those things. If I do care at some point, then I’m, again, more than capable of manually opening a window to check for myself.

TL;DR
In an aesthetic sense I find the current quest/event log unsightly and immersion-breaking. In a utilitarian sense this feature is, in worst-case scenarios, distracting and disruptive when there’s a lot going on (e.g. large battles, with multiple nearby events + story progress). In short, it’s in my way, and I would appreciate ArenaNet reconsidering the current system in lieu of giving the player more control over his or her user interface.

“Fickle, wild, irrational apes aren’t qualified to boss each other around….”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

I agree, the UI is rather obnoxious.

It takes away from my gaming experience and makes me very aware that I am just playing some game and not really a part of it.

I know there is a beautiful game world somewhere behind all of these obstructions.

I’ve recently been playing Planetside 2, and that game has an amazing UI system. When there is nothing going on around you and you are not fighting, nearly ALL of the UI disappears until you need it, and even then it only shows the UI elements that are going to be useful to you in whatever situation.
Even though it is a FPS, I find it vastly more immersive than GW2, which is quite sad.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The problem with this is they added the daily to the UI because many people were saying it was frustrating to keep having to open the hero panel if you wanted to see your progress.

I was indifferent but I have to admit I do find it useful.

Maybe as a compromise they could bring back some of GW1’s customisation and let us hide the entire quest/event list. Or choose which things are displayed there. (Not just which achievements, but whether achievements even show up at all.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

You can remove the daily box, just untick everything related to the daily that you have showing up on the UI.

If anything, the UI doesn’t have enough information.

I’d like to know when my passive traits are off cooldown, i’d like to know when my Guardian passives are going to tick in again, like the passive aegis, i’d like to know when weapon & Armor sigils/runes are off cooldown.

The fact that you’re wanting to feel immersed in a 3rd person game is just slightly.. yeah.
You can’t feel the full immersion simply because of the camera view, if this was an FPS, i’d agree, but 3rd person? You won’t get the same level of immersion, regardless of if you had the UI or not.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in Suggestions

Posted by: CapN Biku.6024

CapN Biku.6024

If you haven’t already you can make the UI smaller in the graphic settings. Even though it doesn’t do much of a difference on larger screens, the different on smaller screens is quite significant

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i find more obstructing the enemy health bar, especially when they are world bosses.
dayly and metaevents i don’t even mind.

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Suggestions

Posted by: UndeadRufus.6832

UndeadRufus.6832

This issue has been exacerbated now that ArenaNet has placed the Super Adventure Box into the event list. I don’t care about the Super Adventure Box, just like I don’t care about the Daily. Really, ANet folks, how about giving me an option as to whether I am constantly reminded/nagged about something? Quest/event journal, anyone? Come on….

You can remove the daily box, just untick everything related to the daily that you have showing up on the UI.

Did this very early on after the change. It does not remove the “Daily” entry from the event list, and story progress and global meta-events still maximize every single time a player loads into a new zone.

If anything, the UI doesn’t have enough information.

I fully support the notion that you should be able to add anything to your UI that you so desire.

The fact that you’re wanting to feel immersed in a 3rd person game is just slightly.. yeah.
You can’t feel the full immersion simply because of the camera view, if this was an FPS, i’d agree, but 3rd person? You won’t get the same level of immersion, regardless of if you had the UI or not.

I kinda-sorta presuppose that everyone already understands this is a third-person fantasy experience, not a reality simulator. It’s a bit baffling that you would be so confused over the term “immersion” as to think I wanted to achieve some kind of minimalistic first-person escapism. Seriously, what? That’s pretty condescending, dude.

Whether you think one can or can’t attain some degree of immersion in a third-person game is not particularly relevant, anyway. The thrust of the matter for me is that the extraneous information is in my way and distracting. It’s a downright nuisance in combat when there are multiple active events, and I’m being attacked by mobs as they stand behind a wall of text. I would like to see control handed to the player regarding which events/stats/achievements he or she wishes to look at, and when.

“Fickle, wild, irrational apes aren’t qualified to boss each other around….”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

Too crowded for my taste now too; flame and frost, super adventure box etc…i wish I could totally hide them

in Suggestions

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

This issue has been exacerbated now that ArenaNet has placed the Super Adventure Box into the event list. I don’t care about the Super Adventure Box,

Same here. I couldn’t care less about the Super Adventure Box but I’m gonna have it cluttering up my screen for who knows how long.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: codiac.5642

codiac.5642

+1

I too do not care at all about the Stupid Adventure Box and would like it off my UI permanently.

Flame and Frost is sad and not worthy of a place on my UI.

Personal story is very tiresome, I have 8 characters and I just don’t care anymore. Begone from my UI!

HOD since beta

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Agree, I’m not normally someone who is bothered by this sort of thing, but it’s getting to be too much. I find myself minimizing the notifications over and over again, as they repeatedly pop back up and block the screen. There is a long list of stuff, most of which I am not working on, spilling down the side of my screen and each new event adds more. There needs to be some sort of toggle where you can clear individual items off your screen. I gather it hasn’t been implemented because ANet is worried about clueless people who turn it off and can’t turn it back on but it’s turning into an eyesore. Maybe if it just showed up when you log on each day so you can see the list and then they fade. A toggle to turn them back on if you want to look at them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

+1

The right side of the screen is far too cluttered, I just want the option to clear that away.

At the moment you can have everything or nothing and I don’t like either…

The way its going at the moment, I will need to scroll down down to see all this annoying junk…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)